PDA

View Full Version : Christmas marines

Lion El Jason
05-05-2005, 11:18
No, not the old models of marines with holly and santa hats...

I was on to Mail Order today and they had some big wig in the telesales room and he mentioned that he'd been to some marketing meeting thing. They decided that there is to be a big marine release every christmas.

The MO Troll said to expect all marine codexes, the vindicator, new models for marines EVERYTHING to be released around a christmas. This does not mean the codexes will be 1 per year but it will mean no summer marine releases.

Killgore
05-05-2005, 11:38
I really wish Space Marines wern't the focus of the whole 40k universe/ gw marketing plans, that another race/ army had the popularity that sm currently have..... an army without a 3+ save is sometimes a rare thing in certain gaming circles.

boogle
05-05-2005, 11:38
yes funny that seeing as that when people will be going into GW and spending loads of money on Christmas presents

Asher
05-05-2005, 11:40
Does that mean that:

a) The Black Templars will be pushed back to Chrismas?

b) Or that we can expect an other C:SM to follow the BT codex this year?

philbrad2
05-05-2005, 11:45
Does that mean that:

I'd say a) the codex will be out Oct/Nov but all associated model releases will be available by Xmas - after all we still haven't had all the associated releases with Codex:SM's the revised Tact/Dev/Assault sqauds are still to come out in the UK.

b) Nah these releases will be BT related. The vaunted plastic Vindicator.. hmmm been waiting for this.. :D

:confused:

Sai-Lauren
05-05-2005, 11:46
Does that mean that:

No, it means that they'll be released in November as expected, but that the next one (either DA, BA or SW) will be 12 months after that, and then 12 months after that and so on until we get fed up with it, form a mob and storm GW HW with pitchforks and flaming torches.

Assuming it's true, and not just someone in the mail order department either trying to make themselves sound more important or enlivening their day by passing on false information. Not that anything like that's ever happened before ;)

Lion El Jason
05-05-2005, 11:54
The Black Templars will be pushed back to Chrismas?

No these will be out in time for christmas this year

charlie_c67
05-05-2005, 12:04
No, it means that they'll be released in November as expected, but that the next one (either DA, BA or SW) will be 12 months after that, and then 12 months after that and so on until we get fed up with it, form a mob and storm GW HW with pitchforks and flaming torches.

Cos of course, the mob wouldn't gather quicker if we had back to back marines would it ;)

boogle
05-05-2005, 12:07
the revised Tac squad is out in the UK already, it was released without any fanfare (same as the SM Bike), the Assault and Devastator squads will follow the same thing, will slowly appear in the stores (it may take some time for them to appear on the website though

Sai-Lauren
05-05-2005, 14:28
Cos of course, the mob wouldn't gather quicker if we had back to back marines would it ;)
Well, it gives them time to get Forge World to produce loads of those imperial fortress walls and set them out around the Lenton campus, fortifiying it, and build some more of those 1:6th baneblades, in an attempt to slow us down :p

Back to reality (why? I like it where I am :D ), it was basically the release schedule I (and probably most of the rest of us) have been working to anyway, one marine (or at least imperial) release around christmas time to catch all the grandparents and uncles/aunts money gifts, one other release just before the summer months - when everyone's not looking to spend the summer days in a room full of paint and glue fumes.

charlie_c67
05-05-2005, 14:32
I think releasing the bugs during the summer is a great idea. Means we can copy nid05, hide a few fexes among the bushes and scare the local cats...

Back O/T what do people think will be released with the BT's? apart from a plastic tac variaty squad.

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 14:57
IBack O/T what do people think will be released with the BT's? apart from a plastic tac variaty squad.

- Tactial Sword Bretheren (variant tactical squad box)
- Assault Terminators (generic)
- High Marshal
- Emperors Champion (wasn't there a rumour about another new one? - shame as the current is lovely).
- Plastic Neophytes/Scouts (hmmmm will have to see about this)

Sgt John Keel
05-05-2005, 14:59
- Tactial Sword Bretheren (variant tactical squad box)

Is not the Sword Brethren the First Company/the Terminators?

/Adrian

charlie_c67
05-05-2005, 14:59
Back to the old fishing rod EC perhaps?

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 15:05

Probably but I don't think they always wear Terminator armour.

I have heard about a BT tactical squad and the overall "Knight" theme for the BT's

Castigator
05-05-2005, 15:29
I really wish Space Marines wern't the focus of the whole 40k universe/ gw marketing plans, that another race/ army had the popularity that sm currently have..... an army without a 3+ save is sometimes a rare thing in certain gaming circles.

Well, problem is there ain't much out there thats a genuine alternative IMO.

Undead, Orks and Elfs (and Dark Elfs) belong to Fantasy IMO and have no place in a Sci-Fi game (I mean whats next? Space Dwarfs?)

Some Alien-rip-off Bug race is a basic standard in this genre these days I suppose. As is a manga-mech-tech race. But that doesn't mean its overtly creative.
The Guard is kinda neat if you've got some people who want to have something more contemprary despite playing a Sci-Fi game. But than again, if thats my schtick, I wouldn't play 40K.

But when it comes down to it, the Space Marines (and the Evil Space Marines) are the only things thats more or less genuinely 40K.
If GW can't come up with something a bit more catchy for the Space Marines to fight against, I'll stick with my PowerArmored Uberhuman Space Nazis. Thanks alot.

Samoth
05-05-2005, 15:38
- Plastic Neophytes/Scouts (hmmmm will have to see about this)

I'd expect this from others, but come on brim.

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 15:40
Way to disparage everybody elses armies there Castigator.

The Eldar and Orks have long since grown beyond the Space-Elf's and Orc's they originally were and have evolved into fully fledged races that more than deserve their place within 40K.

This was one of the main reasons Squats were dropped as they just couldn't find a concept they went beyond space-dwarves.

Lion El Jason
05-05-2005, 17:22
I had heard that Sword Bretheren were the BT terminator Command Squad. Power Sword and Storm Shield?

This is to do with them not having veteran companies...

If they're coming in power armour I'd expect them to be vets or command squad but I don't really know.

IMO Eldar in many ways make 40k what it is. You can't look at a falcon without understanding a lot of what the eldar are about...

sulla
05-05-2005, 18:08

GW make what sells... or do you mean players shouldn't choose an army they like (which in most people's case, is space marines)?

I suppose we could have some autocratic system where you turned up at GW and were 'assigned' an army;

"You -Tau,"
"Yessir."
"You - Biel-Tan,"
"Aye-aye."
"You - Dark Eldar,"
"But I don't like them..."
"Get out... Next!!!!! " ;)

Reabe
05-05-2005, 20:14
But when it comes down to it, the Space Marines (and the Evil Space Marines) are the only things thats more or less genuinely 40K.
If GW can't come up with something a bit more catchy for the Space Marines to fight against, I'll stick with my PowerArmored Uberhuman Space Nazis. Thanks alot.

*COUGH*Starship-troopers-Mobile-Infantry*COUGH*

Yeah, "genuinely 40k"...

Brimstone
05-05-2005, 20:18
I'd expect this from others, but come on brim.

What you don't like the fact I suggested it was a rumoured release or that I'm not convinced about it yet ?

Karhedron
05-05-2005, 20:51
GW make what sells... or do you mean players shouldn't choose an army they like (which in most people's case, is space marines)?
There is a little more to it than that. During second edition there was a much more even spread of development effort among the various races. Marines still got a bit more variety than the others but not by that much. As a result there were far more variety of armies around. There were plenty of Ork and Eldar players in my neck of the woods back then and it wasn't a case of 50% of players having Marines.

The 3rd edition came around and Andy Chambers made his infamous decision to make Space Marines the central army of 40K. The result was a slew of Space Marine new releases and special rules that made them exceptionally good and very easy to master (especially with the abolition of saving throw modifiers). The early days of 3rd edition was when the game shifted from being fairly balanced between the various races to Marines being pushed above all others.

The current dominance of Marines is not a coincidence, it is the result of a deliberate strategy during 3rd edition. Maybe the departure of Andy Chambers will result in other races getting a fairer slice of the cake but only time will tell.

Rykion
05-05-2005, 22:33

Except that GW's Chaos is based on Moorcock. Power armored infantry has appeared in sci-fi since at least the 1950's, and the Imperials from Star Wars were better "Space Nazis" that predate 40k. Definitely original. :rolleyes:

Eversor
06-05-2005, 01:19
Except that GW's Chaos is based on Moorcock. Power armored infantry has appeared in sci-fi since at least the 1950's, and the Imperials from Star Wars were better "Space Nazis" that predate 40k. Definitely original. :rolleyes:
But it's the mix of inspirational sources that makes them original and great ;)

philbrad2
06-05-2005, 08:39

/Adrian

These have been cropping up in WD over the last couple of issues. Its hinted at they are BT vets. Probably the 1st co (seeing as they were mentioned in the Termi article in UK WD305 :D )

The current dominance of Marines is not a coincidence, it is the result of a deliberate strategy during 3rd edition. Maybe the departure of Andy Chambers will result in other races getting a fairer slice of the cake but only time will tell.

Not looked at it that way. I have always been of the opinion that 3rd ed singled SM's out as GW's top selling 40K race hence they got the most expansion and support. As integral a part as they are to the Imperium the chapters should get support. But what about all the other components of the Imperium? In particular things like the Adeptus Mechanicus, GW have given us the basis of a list for thses guys with 2nd ed and then left them. Took us a while to get the Inquisition, I hope the AM's are somewhere on a development 'back burner' to be looked at in a few years than an never ending stream of SM variants.

:cool: