PDA

View Full Version : John Chriton... But a Space Marine

The_Chaos_Seer
21-04-2009, 06:35
Is anyone familiar with Farscape?

P.S. I am looking for help developing a personality for a Space Marine. This is difficult because Space Marines don't have personalities. You only have to read the last bit to get at what I'm needing help with, the rest is just filler for added clarification.

So, I'm inspired to write this story. The concept came up a while ago and it wasn't originally inspired by Farscape in anyway... The idea was a lone marine finds himself on a newly transformed daemon planet after a failed attempt to defeat the chaos forces there. His company is dead and worse yet, he is possessed by a daemon. He knows that if he kills the leader of the Chaos group on the planet that the schism would completely put the Chaos rule into a civil war which would at least disrupt his enemies and sets off, all the while battling the inner possession in an attempt to hold his sanity.

Then I was thinking about the strange dynamics between John, Scorpius and Harvey and I thought "Hey... Why not model the daemon possessing him after Scorpius/Harvey's personality", and greater than that, I made it so that the daemon himself is very powerful and unique in that, though once a Tzeentch daemon prince, he has evolved into something new an independent. He had once possessed the champion leading forces on the planet, a powerful man who exorcised the daemon and seeks to imprison him as a weapon. The daemon wants to unleash himself upon the universe, knowing the great war his devious intellect could unleash, and many other forces want to capture the daemon for their own goals.

The Marine knows he is corrupt and damned, but knows that if he dies, the daemon is free to find a new host and if he is captured, the daemon will be used and so seeks on one hand to kill his enemies in the name of his chapter and the Emperor, while staying alive and uncaptured by his many enemies.

The thing is I want his personality to somewhat mirror John Chriton's, but knowing that Chriton is pretty much a bundle of pop-culture references, outwardly goofy and inwardly strong, I'm finding it hard to translate. A marine is a marine. They all are. They have variences in personality, but they're not like regular humans with their personality.

What do you think? How can I go about doing this?

carldooley
21-04-2009, 07:44
actually, if you are planning on it along the lines of the end of the series, calling him a backwater inquisitor would probably prove more accurate.

The_Chaos_Seer
21-04-2009, 07:49
Not sure how I am going to end this. Thinking, maybe an Inquisitor... But Inquisitors don't have the physical strength or endurance of a Space Marine and can't one-man army **** like they can. Sure they can be badass... But it'd be tougher to make it (40K) realistic. Easier to make him personable.

But I'll confess, I'm still torn. A Space Marine makes all the practical matters of confrontation easy. An Inquisitor makes all personality and allies-related matters easy. Ack. Too bad Space Marines aren't ever Inquisitors.

Nicha11
21-04-2009, 07:52
Eisenhorn could kick ass:skull:

Why not a Deathwatch marine? They are tough independent and do even ocasionally(sp?) have personalities.

The_Chaos_Seer
21-04-2009, 07:55
Eisenhorn could kick ass:skull:

Why not a Deathwatch marine? They are tough independent and do even ocasionally(sp?) have personalities.

Hm, both good points...

Of course... There's only room in the universe for one Eisenhorn :P

But a Deathwatch marine could work. The only problem is why is a Deathwatch marine tasked with the death of Chaos Space Marines? I mean, they could be working with some kind of alien race but this really does look like Sisters/Regular Astartes business. Maybe GK if daemons are involved.

I could just make some random alien race though. Something very Saruthi... Hmm... Ideas are a'brewin'... Maybe a small alien race has come to worship the daemonic being that possesses our marine hero... Who for now will be called Johnatus until I can find an actual name :)

Tommygun
21-04-2009, 08:00
Do you think a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde approach would work for this?
There may be some serial killer analogies too, as far as the inner conflicts.
A Hannibal Lecter type talking through his inner voice to the marine.

The_Chaos_Seer
21-04-2009, 08:06
I already got down how I want the two characters to interact... It's really the individual personality of the marine I need to figure out. John is very quirky, but interesting and its his attachments to 'home', his memories and Earth that keeps him sane.

But that's much of what the interaction will be like. A voice in his head, the story will also cut out to secondary scenes within the Marines memory, direct face-to-face conversations and confrontations between the daemon and the marine. They will be like flashes from external scenes to internal scenes.

The daemon is patient, his voice is passive sounding and highly sophisticated, though occasionally he will descend to a deep growl when his patience runs lower. Sometimes his whispers will become unbearable and he will barely be able to control himself. Perhaps once or twice he'll lose control, but this marine's going to be a toughy, he will hold that daemon inside him for as long as he can and keep anyone from getting what they want, at the cost of his own sanity more than likely... We'll see.

Lothlanathorian
21-04-2009, 08:27
Maybe, since he is possessed, some of his indoc is undone and he is remembering his homeworld and is less...mentally rigid.

He doesn't need to have crazy pop culture references, just a good since of humor and a sharp wit.

And name the daemon I'asaj'onn Kriiton

Poseidal
21-04-2009, 09:18
In the 2nd ed fluff, some Space Marines did become inquisitors.

LexxBomb
21-04-2009, 16:54
I miss 2nd Edition... much better and non contradicting fluff.

Lothlanathorian
21-04-2009, 20:07
I miss 2nd Edition... much better and non contradicting fluff.

Except for the parts that condracted RT, amirite?:D

TheBigBadWolf
21-04-2009, 20:24
Salamanders have a personality, Space Wolves have a personality, just create a non codex chapter, for him to be a member of :)

The_Chaos_Seer
21-04-2009, 23:43
I think I know what I want to do, but I have to ask since this has never been clear to me. I've read both explanations in official GW stuff. Are the Deathwatch a unique chapter of marines, or is it that small groups of marines from every chapter are trained to be Deathwatch and come to the aid of the ordo-xenos when called upon? The Deathwatch that Eisenhorn affiliated himself with seemed the former. Dawn of War 2's claiming that the Blood Raven scout master was once a Deathwatch would suggest the former.

LexxBomb
22-04-2009, 00:17
The Deathatch is not a chapter

it is a formation of marines gathered from many chapters that serve as battle units for the Ordo Xenos... The rank/ title that a marine has in a chapter is also transfered when they are inducted into the Deathwatch...

kinda like the honour company of the Ultramarines that fought in the 13th Black Crusade.

ta biggreengribbly

biggreengribbly
22-04-2009, 01:21
kinda like the honour Company of the Ultramarines that fought in the 13th Black Crusade.

Fixed that right up for you there :D

starlight
22-04-2009, 02:01
Where on Terra did you get the idea that Marines lack personality? :eyebrows:

That's about as accurate as saying monks or Templars or members of any other devout religious order (or cult:p) don't have personalities. Yes, their personalities can be subsumed, and they can act for the collective without consideration for themselves, but there will still be a personality that comes out, either under stress or when separated from the group...

A Marine can have whatever personality you want him to have...although some will be more in keeping with the background than others...;)