PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Heresy-Harbinger, Castellan, deathbird

electricwolf
21-04-2009, 15:11
This little Gav Thorpe short story about the Dark Angels mentions the Harbinger Drop Ship, the Castellan bomber and the Deathbirds aircraft.

Whatever happened to these?

NightrawenII
21-04-2009, 15:49
Nothing. Gav simply invented "kůl" names.:p

aad
21-04-2009, 16:47
so true:D

but it still gives great idea,s for more exotic space marine flyers.

the spacemarines had:
-stormbird(capable of carying 100 marines)

the spacemarines have:
-thunderhawk transporter(capable of carying vehicles)
-landspeeder scouts.(capable of carying 6 scouts)
(those are more transporters than actual fightercrafts.

-thunderhawks(capable of carying 30 marines/15 terminators and a dreadnought)
-landspeeder tempest(a very small gunship with assault cannon and missile launcher)
-landspeeders(you all know them)

my problem with this is that ,there is no smaller aircraft between the thunderhawk and the landspeeder.

a real gunship kinda thing , no transport capability only weapons.(like the A10 warthog tankkiller.)
i,am waiting for the valkyrie so i can rebuild it to make it a spacemarine flyer gunships like the A10 warthog.
and after i read the story about those 3 names and some of the info it was given about them, i want to name those gunships: DEATHBIRDS.:D

the thunderhawk has:
1 battlecannon or turbo laser
4x twin heavy bolter
2x lascannon
6 hellstrike missiles

so my deathbird must have:
2x twin heavy bolter (on each side of the hull).
2x lascannon(one on each side of the cockpit)
2x assault cannon (in the nose)
4x hellstrike missiles(two under each wing)
options:
replace the lascannons for autocannons
replace the hellstrike missiles for rocketpods

should be about 400 points

malika
21-04-2009, 17:16
Perhaps these were craft used by the Imperial army? Or they were some local design?

The Anarchist
21-04-2009, 17:34
As first legion the DA often got choicest items fresh from the forge, so these might ahve been test items, or ones in very very short supply. and as such as they were damaged over time unable to be repaired, fixed or replaeced and so died out.

Idaan
21-04-2009, 19:44
Why would Marines use airplanes? Especially during the Heresy, when they were never operating without Army support.
Next thing they'll give them is Titans, because the don't have any yet.

My guess those were Imperial Army planes, just the ones that are no longer used.

Brother Siccarius
21-04-2009, 20:50
*Shouts out into the Warseer throng*
Mr Thorpe! Any insights?

Why would Marines use airplanes? Especially during the Heresy, when they were never operating without Army support.

My guess those were Imperial Army planes, just the ones that are no longer used.

Cause the marines were working so close with the Imperial Army (leading it actually) that the lines between what exactly was from the Imperial Army, and what exactly was from the Marines blurred significantly. Good examples would be the Marine Baneblade version (Can't quite remember the name at the moment), and the Imperial Army using Rhinos and Land Raiders to move it's troops.

It was pretty much share and share alike between the two forces for most of the Crusade.

Why would they have them now? Maybe it's a remnant from the Crusades, still attached to the naval flotilla of the marines or their successor chapter.

Talos402000
21-04-2009, 20:54
You can add the Destrier armored lander from Gaunt's Ghosts and the Hawkwing (Fighter? Transport? there is a civilian and military version) from Blood Games to the list too.

aad
21-04-2009, 20:56
@idaan:

you do understand the spacemarine concept??

strike fast strike furious....:)

airplane,s are the ideal choices for such combat techniques.

thunderhawks for dropping off troops and bombing/strafing runs, transporters for dropping off tanks,landspeeders for supporting fire.

titans are not so handy. slow lumbering vehicles extremely lethal and powerfull but not fast. so those are the things for the mechanicum.

guard is there for the slow exhaustious wars, with loads of firepower.
slow, lumbering ,numerous and powerfull.
guard uses airplanes for air support because they are so slow the need aereal supremacy.

every army has his benefits and his weaknesses.

Eldarion
21-04-2009, 21:03
It does sound pretty cool! Marines calling in air strikes, sweet. Just maybe sometimes orbital strikes cause too much collateral damage...

Zanzibarthefirst
21-04-2009, 21:15
If I'm correct but isnt the Stormbird the drop ship they used before thunderhawks? I'm sure this is mentioned in one of the previous books. I doubt the harbringer mentioned is the same Chaos Harbringer AI uses.

NightrawenII
22-04-2009, 18:28

:eek:I thought about building a Titan Dreadnought.:chrome:

FlashGordon
22-04-2009, 20:02
well they did have the Ordinatus cannon once if i remember my computer history.

aad
22-04-2009, 20:05
If I'm correct but isnt the Stormbird the drop ship they used before thunderhawks? I'm sure this is mentioned in one of the previous books. I doubt the harbringer mentioned is the same Chaos Harbringer AI uses.

yes the stormbird was used during the horus heresy but the plane became useless after the legions where split up.

the risk of loosing 100 marines at once is more costly if you are just with 1000.
instead of 30.000 or even 250.000 .

the hellblade and hell talon where made by orders of abaddon.
dunno about harbinger bomber or something to be chaos.

GavT
23-04-2009, 08:50
Hi,

One of the great things about the Horus Heresy is that it is a sandpit for Space Marines. Formal organisations are evolving, and so the scope for 'non-standard' weapons and equipment is much broader. As a spearhead taskforce, the Dark Angels in Call of the Lion are operating independently of the Imperial Army at that time, requiring different tactical and strategic assets on board.

The names aren't totally random. The Harbinger is named after an Epic 40,000dropship model that was never released ;) I vaguely recall Castellan bombers mentioned in passing in some BFG background somewhere. The Deathbird is a precursor to the Aquila Imperial shuttle.

On a related note, out of mischievousness, there's also a mention of a Space Marine armed with a multilaser :p

And a wee confession. As pointed out on another forum, technically 'Land Speeders' wouldn't have been called as such during the Heresy. Simply 'Speeders' would have been more fitting.

Cheers,

GAV

Dakkagor
23-04-2009, 09:02
On a related note, out of mischievousness, there's also a mention of a Space Marine armed with a multilaser :p

And a wee confession. As pointed out on another forum, technically 'Land Speeders' wouldn't have been called as such during the Heresy. Simply 'Speeders' would have been more fitting.

Cheers,

GAV

Oh thats just mean. . . next you'll put slaneeshi eldar in the heresy novels!

On the land speeder front, why is that? After all the template originated from Magos Land . . .unless the heresy pattern was different from the post heresy version?

Hellebore
23-04-2009, 09:11
The Land Speeder STC was found AFTER the Heresy, thus there can't be 'Land' Speeders around at the time.

Hellebore

Dakkagor
23-04-2009, 09:26
The Land Speeder STC was found AFTER the Heresy, thus there can't be 'Land' Speeders around at the time.

Hellebore

thanks! Though I'm sure I saw some landspeeders at the siege of the Emperors palace diorama ages ago at games day. . .

Leftenant Gashrog
23-04-2009, 13:13

Are you sure about that? The Land Raiders IA article states that Arkhan Land found the STCs for the Land Raider and Land Speeder during the same 3 year expedition.

the lines between what exactly was from the Imperial Army, and what exactly was from the Marines blurred significantly. Good examples would be the Marine Baneblade version (Can't quite remember the name at the moment), and the Imperial Army using Rhinos and Land Raiders to move it's troops.

None of those examples are all that good really:

The Fellblades significance has been blown out of all proportion by marine players who want a spikey baneblade in their apocalypse armies, canon evidence for its use is limited to a single art picture. (by comparison the art includes 2 pictures of power armoured marines carrying assault cannons..)

The Land Raider only became restricted to the Space Marine during the Heresy when the Forgeworld that provided most of the Imperiums Land Raiders was destroyed, prior to that it was in common use by most branches of the Imperial Military.

The Rhino is somewhat of an anomaly, Guard dont use it because GW wants them to have their own vehicles, but fluffwise theres no reason why they shouldnt make use of it.

gitburna
23-04-2009, 16:45
Hi,

One of the great things about the Horus Heresy is that it is a sandpit for Space Marines. Formal organisations are evolving, and so the scope for 'non-standard' weapons and equipment is much broader. As a spearhead taskforce, the Dark Angels in Call of the Lion are operating independently of the Imperial Army at that time, requiring different tactical and strategic assets on board.

The names aren't totally random. The Harbinger is named after an Epic 40,000dropship model that was never released ;) I vaguely recall Castellan bombers mentioned in passing in some BFG background somewhere. The Deathbird is a precursor to the Aquila Imperial shuttle.

Cheers,

GAV

I did like this story Gav, it was nice to hear about Astelan again. I expect you can neither confirm nor deny, but I got the feeling it was a connecting story between Descent of Angels and the next DA book. (as well as validating some of what Astelan said in Angels of Darkness)

I liked the way that Astelan's force got its bottom spanked and that you didn't make it just another typical "Raaaaa!! Space Marines Conquer!" story. I personally hope you'll be writing about the DA (and Astelan..... ;) )again in future