PDA

View Full Version : this months white dwarf

electricwolf
21-04-2009, 18:14
Has anyone else who subscribes to white dwarf found that this months issue is really late?

I regularly get mine 2 weeks before the stores but this months i have not seen yet. So i'm wondering if it's just me or other people also.

Tymell
21-04-2009, 18:17
I don't get it anymore myself, but I recommend asking here: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187780 that's the thread specifically devoted to the April White Dwarf :)

Wintermute
21-04-2009, 19:01
I don't get it anymore myself, but I recommend asking here: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187780 that's the thread specifically devoted to the April White Dwarf :)

And if you do ask the question there I will delete your post for being off-topic because its a feed back thread, not a thread for asking "where is my is my copy of WD?"

I will move this thread to the Other GW Discussion Forum.

Wintermute

electricwolf
21-04-2009, 19:10
Many apologies. I have been on warseer for awhile and never went over to that thread before. Please delete this thread.

kairous
21-04-2009, 19:16
Has anyone else who subscribes to white dwarf found that this months issue is really late?

I regularly get mine 2 weeks before the stores but this months i have not seen yet. So i'm wondering if it's just me or other people also.

Were talking about the april issue right:confused:, the one with aragorn on the front.

In which case i believe it turned up, for me, on the second to last week of march, i think.

Waiting for may now ;)

lonepilgrim
21-04-2009, 19:28
Yeah, I haven't received my latest copy yet either. It's not an uncommon occurrence for me; for every three months I get mine in the third week of the month I get one right at the end of the month. There isn't any reason for it as far as I can fathom.

Wintermute
21-04-2009, 19:43
Could it be linked to the fact April is a 5 week month ;)

kairous
21-04-2009, 19:47
Could it be linked to the fact April is a 5 week month ;)

Wintermute you sly dog:D, would explain why it feels like i should be getting paid next week, but i won't be :cries:, or maybe i will, i will check tomorrow, but thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Wintermute
21-04-2009, 19:52
I used to work in newspaper and magazine design/publishing and this appears to be the obvious reason.

boogle
21-04-2009, 19:55
I rang them this morning about this issue and they said that it should be out to sub holders by the end of this week, if I've not had it by next Thursday I was told to ring them.

Tymell
21-04-2009, 20:05
And if you do ask the question there I will delete your post for being off-topic because its a feed back thread, not a thread for asking "where is my is my copy of WD?"

I will move this thread to the Other GW Discussion Forum.

Wintermute

Apologies, wrong phrasing: I more meant to look there, to see whether others have been getting it.

hereticdave
21-04-2009, 21:49
Yup haven't seen mine yet either and was wondering the same thing - but glad to hear it should be arriving by the end of the week!

Osbad
22-04-2009, 12:01
In theory copies should be received by subscribers on the penultimate Friday of the previous month, and they should be in store on the final Friday of the previous month.

i.e. May 2009 issue should have been with subscribers on 17th April, and in stores on 24th April.

According to a letter I received back when Paul Sawyer was editor, years ago.

Of course, it isn't a contractual arrangement, merely an "aspiration", and we have seen wild fluctuations bothe before and after those dates as GW has changed printers and distributors over the years.

As April ends on a Thursday and that is the day WD is dispatched to subscribers, as Wintermute says, we are probably going to receive it a week late this month.

No biggy.

If it is very late, then if you ring up mail order they'll probably tell you to pick a freebie one up from your local GW, if you have one.

Temprus
22-04-2009, 23:33
Could it be linked to the fact April is a 5 week month ;)Sounds good but I have had my issue since April 15th. :D I just hope I don't lose my "getting the issue earlier than most people" thing now that I had to change the address I get it sent to.

skuller
22-04-2009, 23:38
Mine are always late i have called GW but it seems more a problem with distribution here in Texas other than them no sending the WD

Wintermute
23-04-2009, 07:45
Sounds good but I have had my issue since April 15th. :D I just hope I don't lose my "getting the issue earlier than most people" thing now that I had to change the address I get it sent to.

The US copies are shipped 1-2 weeks earlier than the UK/European copies and I suspect its the subscribers on this side of the Atlantic who have not received their copies yet ;)

Sleazy
23-04-2009, 08:26
Ah this answers my thoughts too. I subscribed with the DD deal and this will be my first issue, I was wondering when to expect it.

OrlyggJafnakol
23-04-2009, 12:23
Ah this answers my thoughts too. I subscribed with the DD deal and this will be my first issue, I was wondering when to expect it.

Exactly the same situation as me. I recieved a letter a few weeks ago confirming my DD and was told that monies would be removed from my account on (or around) the 25th April. Does this mean that my issue will arrive on that date?

Sleazy
23-04-2009, 12:31
I got the same letter, I expect it will arrive sometime just after then.

Deamon-forge
23-04-2009, 12:51
Exactly the same situation as me. I recieved a letter a few weeks ago confirming my DD and was told that monies would be removed from my account on (or around) the 25th April. Does this mean that my issue will arrive on that date?

i rescribed to day and all mays have been posted out!

i was a bit pissed if as i could not do the DD on the phone, so done a year scrib, then they asked for a extra 7.50 you can get the ltd ed mini, i was like :wtf: thought you got it free, and they like not any more

WanderingRogue
23-04-2009, 14:57
"then they asked for a extra 7.50 you can get the ltd ed mini, i was like thought you got it free, and they like not any more"

you do realise its NEVER been free right? all theyve done since last year is put an actuall price on the model so you can buy it at a later date if you want, rather that choose to pay one of 2 differento different prices for the subscription depending on weather you wanted it or not. The white dwarf with model was always MORE than one without. Check your facts dude.

and to osbad.. i was always under the impression that it was sent on the penultimate friday to arive by the last friday.. so your dates are wrong. of course on a major bank holiday month like this month that friday may not count. but either way its not LATE untill the store put it out on the shelves which wont be untill the end of next week.

Osbad
24-04-2009, 09:14
and to osbad.. i was always under the impression that it was sent on the penultimate friday to arive by the last friday.. so your dates are wrong. of course on a major bank holiday month like this month that friday may not count. but either way its not LATE untill the store put it out on the shelves which wont be untill the end of next week.

No. I am right. My data is factual, based off an actual black and white letter signed by Fat Bloke, in which he apologised for two issues in a row being late by a couple of weeks. It is not an "impression", but a stated, written, policy.

It's probably still around in my house somewhere hidden under a pile of crap...

It may of course be that the policy has changed subsequently (the letter was from around 5 or 6 years back), but I have not seen any evidence that it has.

Keravin
24-04-2009, 10:38
Showed up this morning.

boogle
24-04-2009, 12:35
Post hasn't been yet, but I expect it to turn up tomorrow now

pookie
24-04-2009, 14:23
arrived today, tho 5 week months always will cause this problem.

boogle
24-04-2009, 15:12
Mine has just arrived :wtf:

Emperor's Grace
24-04-2009, 16:06
Five week month and a major holiday too (at least in US).

Mine tends to really vary and I've never known why.

Sometimes a week earlier than the local stores, sometimes a week after.

The May one came right on time based on Osbad's letter. Go figure...

RevEv
24-04-2009, 17:04
Just got back from a few days away to find my subscription copy on the doormat.

All in all a great way to round up a good time away.

Temprus
24-04-2009, 20:29
"then they asked for a extra 7.50 you can get the ltd ed mini, i was like thought you got it free, and they like not any more"

you do realise its NEVER been free right? all theyve done since last year is put an actuall price on the model so you can buy it at a later date if you want, rather that choose to pay one of 2 differento different prices for the subscription depending on weather you wanted it or not. The white dwarf with model was always MORE than one without. Check your facts dude.
Actually, the mini was free with a new/renewed subscription for about two months (at least in the US) when it first came out.

Captain Shrike
24-04-2009, 21:54
I agree.

It isnt late, its just a funny month that ends next week, and so throws our expectation a little. its released next week end, so we should all expect it from this friday to next thursday, nothing unusual.

People as normal, just dont really bother to ask the right question.

The white dwarf model was never free just inc in the price, the wise amongst us would have figured that out four years ago.

now you just get the option to buy it seperatly which was a nice move as those of us who already had a sub previously were not entitled to it...

Damn Gw beiong nice eh. Can you deal with it!! Bloody synicas, nothing better to do than complain about something you enjoy.

And in all reality I bet the chap on here who was miffed cos it was already sent out didnt actually ring he was probably actually getting some one else to ring for him and so never bothered to ask... probabbly sa on his wii or stuffing his face with food and geting granny to do it lol ho-hum

I would never expect when I was signing up to something to get the issue 7 days away, thats just plain dum lol :)

That's not cool. Give people some respect.

TheBigBadWolf
30-04-2009, 15:50
Has anyone had trouble in getting this issue of WD (i.e. out of the shops not a subscription), isnt it ment to hit the shelves on the last friday of each month, by my reconning that was last week but ive not seen it in any news agents.
Im going to Dundee tomorrow so I will check and see if the GW store has it :confused:

Wintermute
30-04-2009, 18:19
My local Independent received their WD last Thursday. However, today I noticed my local W H Smiths still had last month's issue on sale.

I would think GW Dundee would have their copies though.

VerifiablySane
01-05-2009, 03:30
My local manager says that his release schedule had it out for the 1st of May, and he double-checked it with Head Office because it seemed so odd. Apparently no stores should have been selling them before tommorrow/today.

Wintermute
01-05-2009, 10:51
So GW has changed the release date of WD in the UK and not bothered to tell the Independents (and shipped to them a week early) or the release schedule is wrong.

Fenrir
01-05-2009, 13:40
So GW has changed the release date of WD in the UK and not bothered to tell the Independents (and shipped to them a week early) or the release schedule is wrong.

I've seen a copy of the new WD in an independant shop, but it doesn't seem to be in the local WH Smiths.

London based, if thats of any interest.

thinkerman
01-05-2009, 13:42
This months WD was actually a good isue for a change in my opp.

Nice terrain in the battle reports, some bits on guard, not too much LOTR, not a bad issue really.

Just have to see where it goes from here - the general trend is that WD is getting better and better each month......but speaking with many people and my local Indie the moment you stick LOTR on the front cover (last month) the mags dont sell, on the other hand stick 40K or Fantasy on there and the issues fly off the shielf.