PDA

View Full Version : Abaddon and Death Guard

SteelTitan
22-04-2009, 09:34
Uhhh i was wondering, i love the Abaddon model and i love his rules...

...only problem is...i play death guard.

How about me using the model, but painting it nurgle/death guard style and using the rules as well...and then maybe say it's Mortarium of the Death Guard (might be wrong about the name) to clarify that he's a kick-ass chaos lord and therefore has these rules/stats.

:)

What do u think?

slayerofmen
22-04-2009, 09:39
well id have no issue with it but maybe don't use it as the primach

Nezmith
22-04-2009, 09:47
Mortarion is a Daemon-Primarch, THE Daemon-Primarch of Nurgle.

You would set him on the table alone and say, "His toughness is 12. I win."

Just kidding, but really, just come up with a good Death Guard name for your Abaddon and go with that.

SteelTitan
22-04-2009, 09:50
Daemon primach LOLZ XD
Ok maybe Mortarion is not the most suitable character to choose for this model haha! Seeing that the model isnt really a daemon...
And i guess that a primach stats would be a lot better than Abaddon's. :rolleyes:

All though i wouldnt mind changing his T to 12 :-p

Bassik
22-04-2009, 10:23
Don't do it, Abbadon is clearly from a different Legion.

Build a Deathguard-ish character that represents Abbadon's wargear.
This should be fine by even the most uptight fluff purists.

Typhus is much more awesome :D

Sir_Turalyon
22-04-2009, 10:31
Get Abaddon, paint him as himself and play him -occasionaly - as himself, perhaps with bodyguard of Black Legion terminators. There is plenty of reasons for Abaddon to join any legion force - testing their loyalities before black crusade, coming to impress them and win their loyalities before black crusade, taking pesonal command of contingent fighting critical battle during black crusade (which hapens to be Death Guard), returning a favour to Mortarion, earning a favour of Mortarion... He's trying to rebulid alliance of all chaos legions, so he's bound to keep in touch with them, for purely diplomatic reasons.

pookie
22-04-2009, 10:44
if you can use any of the SM SC's as a diffrent version from a diffrent SM Chapter, then why not Abby?

no problem imo.

tho a true Death Guard player would just use Typhus.

SteelTitan
22-04-2009, 10:56
Yes, im planning on buying Typhus too but he is not exactly ALL that. I also dont want to take a second daemon prince as my HQ for pure sportsmanship reasons (and i think it's boring to play with), so i was looking for a good second HQ and he seems to fit perfectly. Off course 'he' isnt he anymore because he's just the model + rules but named differently.

Mannimarco
22-04-2009, 11:41
bit of light conversion work, lose the talon and sword, replace them with a cool looking scythe, use abbys rules and youve got yourself a deathshroud

just a thought

and while im here if i can see a blue mephiston leading the smurfs and a red pedro kantor leading some blood angels i can easily see a death guard abbadon

Koryphaus
22-04-2009, 11:56
Well, I converted the plastic terminator lord to be my Abaddon, except he's really Erebus.. Or Kor Phaeron, depends on how I feel at the time ;)

Mannimarco
22-04-2009, 12:00
thats an idea, the plastic termy lord looks similar enough to abbadon to use him with a slightly different pose

kor phaeron wasnt in terminator armour, remember that pic of the word bearer at the start of the last rulebooks section of CSMs, thas kor phaeron

Grindgodgrind
22-04-2009, 12:19
Well, I converted the plastic terminator lord to be my Abaddon, except he's really Erebus.. Or Kor Phaeron, depends on how I feel at the time ;)

You got any pictures of this, man? I've been thinking of starting a Word Bearer army for a while, and wanted to lead the army with Kor Phaeron.

SteelTitan
22-04-2009, 16:38
bit of light conversion work, lose the talon and sword, replace them with a cool looking scythe, use abbys rules and youve got yourself a deathshroud

just a thought

and while im here if i can see a blue mephiston leading the smurfs and a red pedro kantor leading some blood angels i can easily see a death guard abbadon

well practically it is NOT abaddon, only the rules and the miniature :D

Hicks
22-04-2009, 17:18

That wouldn't be legal SC can't cross over to other codices. ;)

@OP: I think you would be better off converting a character from scratch. Abaddon is very recognizable... and tiny for what he is. I think a former Deathshroud marine turned Chaos lord would look much better in a DG army.

Mannimarco
22-04-2009, 17:22
ill try to dig out my old death guard termy lord if anybody wants a look?

its simple really, a termy lord, typhus weapon clipped so the lord is holding it in one hand, in his left he holds a combi melta, he has the fly head and ruined wings from the chaos spawn sprue, that looks pretty good

Hicks
22-04-2009, 17:24
ill try to dig out my old death guard termy lord if anybody wants a look?

its simple really, a termy lord, typhus weapon clipped so the lord is holding it in one hand, in his left he holds a combi melta, he has the fly head and ruined wings from the chaos spawn sprue, that looks pretty good

I sure want to see it, that's one cool sounding convertion, if incredibly expensive.

Necromancer2
22-04-2009, 17:28
Paint him as Abaddon and Play him as Abaddon with DG troops!!! Nothing wrong with that IMO and I'm a DG player.

Neftus
22-04-2009, 18:07
Abaddon pretty much does what he wants

Don't see why he wouldn't be rolling with some Death Gaurd

AndrewGPaul
22-04-2009, 18:14
Uhhh i was wondering, i love the Abaddon model and i love his rules...

...only problem is...i play death guard.

@OP: I think you would be better off converting a character from scratch. Abaddon is very recognizable...
Since SteelTitan likes the Abaddon miniature, converting up a different one seems rather pointless, no?

I say go for it. Paint him up all diseased-looking in pale green armour and run with it.

Latro_
22-04-2009, 18:15
Get Abaddon, paint him as himself and play him -occasionaly - as himself, perhaps with bodyguard of Black Legion terminators. There is plenty of reasons for Abaddon to join any legion force - testing their loyalities before black crusade, coming to impress them and win their loyalities before black crusade, taking pesonal command of contingent fighting critical battle during black crusade (which hapens to be Death Guard), returning a favour to Mortarion, earning a favour of Mortarion... He's trying to rebulid alliance of all chaos legions, so he's bound to keep in touch with them, for purely diplomatic reasons.

Yea I think thats a great idea, Abbaddon is such a powerful figure he could call on whole warbands of different legions that owe him a favour or promise them something in some mutal goal.

There is so much character surrounding him, I think it really would be the best idea to use him as him with some black legion body guards and an awesome backstory.

Reaver83
22-04-2009, 18:18
Do whatever you want, your money your miniatures

Ddraiglais
22-04-2009, 18:21
Do not use Abby as a daemon primarch. While Abby has nice stats, it's not even close to what the daemon primarchs would have.

I'd go with other peoples' suggestions. Model a DG character with similar wargear, and use him. If you have to have Abby, then just change his name and use the model.

I actually love Sir Tyralyon's idea. Don't use him in every game. When he's there, he's just checking up on the DG or adding support for a critical objective.

Mannimarco
22-04-2009, 18:31
sorry about the quality these pics, cant find cable for digital camera so using camera phone

the colour scheme im using is pre heresy death guard so dheneb stone armour with catachan green trims

SteelTitan
22-04-2009, 20:00
looks really good.........i think :-p pictures are really unclear but i think i like it :-D

I want to thank everybody for their input!

I hear a lot of good things. I can totally picture Abaddon join DG every now and then, pretty much because of what Neftus said...he is Abaddon, so if he wants to join he can.

Still, i do not feel much for painting anything Black Legion even though it would make total sense. I like Reaver83's simple opinion on the matter and its pretty much like what AndrewGpaul says. So, same miniature, same rules, different name and green :-p