PDA

View Full Version : First battle over - impressions

Rirekon
22-04-2009, 12:34
So I played a 500 point game yesterday, Isengard v Dwarves. Overall it was a really good game, the low points value really helped in learning the rules due to fewer things going on at once. Between us we had a good mix of things so got to see some fun interactions too.

Here's what I came away from the game thinking;

1. Combat feels... truncated? It just didn't feel like it had enough impact really. Two Formations clash, a few models die, then they separate - usually with one side disordered. Next turn the disordered Formation regroups and the process repeats.

2. Shooting is very situational. Lobbing shots into full strength Formations has almost no appreciable impact however being able to finish off weakened Formations is really powerful. I like the balance it has achieved.

3. Heroic/Epic actions work really, really well. We're both a "little" competitive so the mind games involved at the start of the Charge and Fight phases were great.
Brilliant example;
Two of my Formations where in a position to sandwich a Dwarf Formation (front and rear). All 3 Formations had Heroes in them and it was Dwarf Priority. The Heroic action queue gives me Priority so I call a Heroic Charge with Formation to the rear of the Dwarves.
Now there's a chance I won't make the charge, so I might also call a Heroic Charge with the other Formation - if I do is it worth the Dwarves calling a Heroic Charge to preempt that? He'll be spending a Might on the chance that I fail my first charge in order to prevent me spending a Might to get the charge elsewhere... However if he doesn't spend the Might I may not spend the Might anyway and hope the first charge and/or the Dwarf charge fails...

4. Heroic Duels are brutal, combining them with Epic Strike is even more brutal. However pulling this off is actually more difficult that it seems and pretty costly in terms of Might usage.

So yes, great fun over all and we'll be aiming for a 1000 point rematch before too long :)

Quannum
22-04-2009, 13:08
Glad to hear you're enjoying the system!

The Heroic action queue gives me Priority so I call a Heroic Charge with Formation to the rear of the Dwarves.

Be careful here...I know what you're trying to say but its not quite the above definition. If your opponent has Priority the Heroic Action Queue doesn't AUTOMATICALLY give you priority, you must wait for your opponent to declare is he/she intends to use any Actions. If not, then you can jump right in and get Priority by calling an Action. Bear in mind though, your opponent then has another chance to call Heroic Actions in response. It's a minor point, and I think you probably understood that anyway, just wanted to be clear! Heroic Actions are a wonderful part of the game, aren't they?!

Q

Jorgen_CAB
22-04-2009, 13:13
Sounds like you had allot of fun...

In regard to combat being truncated, I would say that it depends. When you put two units with two handed weapons against each other it will become carnage, or when lance wielding cavalry charges in the flank of a big formation and you at the same time charges him with infantry in the front.

I have seen my nine company Orc formation turn to dust in just two turns...

Rirekon
22-04-2009, 13:55
Be careful here...I know what you're trying to say but its not quite the above definition. If your opponent has Priority the Heroic Action Queue doesn't AUTOMATICALLY give you priority, you must wait for your opponent to declare is he/she intends to use any Actions. If not, then you can jump right in and get Priority by calling an Action. Bear in mind though, your opponent then has another chance to call Heroic Actions in response. It's a minor point, and I think you probably understood that anyway, just wanted to be clear! Heroic Actions are a wonderful part of the game, aren't they?

Yeah that wasn't worded in the best possible way :)
We had a lot of fun with the priority and action queue systems, they're a great tension mechanic later in the game when it becomes a lot more important in what order things happen.

skallagrimsson
22-04-2009, 15:59
Glad to hear you're enjoying the system!

Be careful here...I know what you're trying to say but its not quite the above definition. If your opponent has Priority the Heroic Action Queue doesn't AUTOMATICALLY give you priority, you must wait for your opponent to declare is he/she intends to use any Actions. If not, then you can jump right in and get Priority by calling an Action. Bear in mind though, your opponent then has another chance to call Heroic Actions in response. It's a minor point, and I think you probably understood that anyway, just wanted to be clear! Heroic Actions are a wonderful part of the game, aren't they?!

Q

Also note that priority is decided on a dice roll 1-3 evil goes first, 4-6 good goes first if heroic actions are called in the same phase.

Master Stark
23-04-2009, 11:18
I think the point of combat in WotR is the same as in LotR, in that the results become more apparent over several turns, rather than like WHFB (for example) where a unit is beaten, runs and is destroyed in a single turn.

I like it as it means a single clever move isn't (usually) enough to win the game. You have to keep on outsmarting your opponent turn after turn. And likewise, if your opponent gets one over on you, you still have a chance to turn it around.

And of course, once you get to larger games and start throwing around formations like 6 companies of Swan Knights with Imrahil, or 6 companies of Rohan Kings Guard with Theoden, combats can become much more decisive, much more quickly!

Especially when you can pull of an earth-shaking charge with a cavalry regiment and charge the now depleted and disordered enemy formation!

Rirekon
23-04-2009, 12:17
I think the point of combat in WotR is the same as in LotR, in that the results become more apparent over several turns, rather than like WHFB (for example) where a unit is beaten, runs and is destroyed in a single turn.

I like it as it means a single clever move isn't (usually) enough to win the game. You have to keep on outsmarting your opponent turn after turn. And likewise, if your opponent gets one over on you, you still have a chance to turn it around.

I see what you mean, at one point I had one of the Dwarf units pincered between two of mine and it was interesting moving things to try and keep it there.
The upside to it, on reflection, is that it means ranged units play more of a part as they combat never prevents them from shooting.

Ok I take back my comments on combat - it actually works very nicely :)

TwilightOdyssey
23-04-2009, 17:49
I wouldn't say that combat is 'truncated', but certainly fast paced compared to 40K, where you can have a single combat last an entire game, and sometimes done intentionally to slow enemy units down. Close combat is definitely more tactical in WotR.