PDA

View Full Version : wysiwyg Question

MistaGav
22-04-2009, 18:20
I just have a slight question regarding the What you see is what you get rule on my tyranids.

OK so I already have a broodlord and 6 genestealers painted in full, based and everything. I also have another 8 genestealers in their first base coats ready to be painted up in full.

Only problem is I've now decided that the broodlord could do with Feeder tendrils and Flesh hooks, the 6 genestealers (to accompany him) are to get Acid maw. Lastly the other group of 8 are to get feeder tendrils. So what do I do about this? Do I attempt to sculpt on the new parts and then paint round that; buy a new model; or just let me opponent know beforehand and face a bit of a winge about WYSIWYG?

I mean for a start it's hard to get Feeder Tendril heads as one comes per sprue and I'm not great at sculpting. So thoughts?

Lord Wasa
22-04-2009, 18:27
I'm not a 'nid player, but feeder tendrils wouldn't be so hard to sculpt would they? If it is possible to get flesh hook and acid maw parts from some sprues at a reasonable price, I would recommend that. when you have a codex which offers as many upgrades as the 'nid 'dex does, it's best to be as clear as possible.

It's not a huge issue (outside of tournies) as long as your opponent knows what is what and can keep track of it throughout the game, but do your best to go as wysiwyg as you can is my advice.

darren redstar
22-04-2009, 18:41
didn't wysiwig go out of the window after the sm and csm codex included bolter, bolt pistol, ccw, krak and frag grenades all as standard equipment and every sm player watched their troop choice fall flat on their faces through overloading

onewayticket
22-04-2009, 18:52
didn't wysiwig go out of the window after the sm and csm codex included bolter, bolt pistol, ccw, krak and frag grenades all as standard equipment and every sm player watched their troop choice fall flat on their faces through overloading

Still in the rule book, though. Most tournaments enforce WYSIWYG.

Deathklaat
22-04-2009, 18:56
WYSIWYG applies for UPGRADES to the model/unit. seeing as CSM come standard with bolter, pistol and CCW you do not have to model all of the options.

Nids are a different story as you get a very basic choice and you use biomorphs to upgrade the broods. it sucks but you would have to either model them all that way or model as many as you can and mix them with regular models from the brood and tell your opponent they all have the biomorph.

if it is a mixed squad with some with biomorphs and some without then i would model them correctly.

Shangrila
22-04-2009, 19:45
The whole unit must be upgraded the same; so as long as the majority are wysiwyg then their shouldnt be a problem.

LonelyPath
22-04-2009, 20:26
For my Nids i model the majority of a brood to have the biomorphs. So if I have a brood of 6 stealers with feeder tendrils then at least 4 in the brood would have them.

Broodlords with flesh hooks are easy enough to convert with a drill, some wide and modelling putty (to fill in the gaps and sculpt the hooks). Since flesh hooks are quite obvious, I would model them onto the broodlord (same with the feeder tendrils).