PDA

View Full Version : Temple Guard without a Slann - any good?

Morthoron
22-04-2009, 18:40
Hi all,

I was just wondering what people think about Temple Guard without a Slann. They seem pretty pricey without their Stubborn and Immunity to Psychology. Completely on their own I figure its probably not worth it, but I was thinking about putting an Engine of the Gods with them which would basically make them Immune Psych and give them Stubbon, albeit at a Ld6 not Ld8.

What do people think?

Thanks,

Morthoron

hardygun
22-04-2009, 18:55
While the stegadon will give them stubborn at LD 6 it will not make them Immune to Psych. If the TG panic they will take the stegadon with them.

Morthoron
22-04-2009, 19:31
Yeah, i'd forgotten about panic, but they'll be immune to Terror and Fear at least right?

Phazael
22-04-2009, 19:47
Don't bother with temple guard unless you roll a slaan. The only thing they have over normal Saurus is the WS, really, and that is easily offset by the spears.

Shadowsinner
22-04-2009, 19:50
Don't bother with temple guard unless you roll a slaan. The only thing they have over normal Saurus is the WS, really, and that is easily offset by the spears.

well they are s5 in combat if thats any compensation

Bac5665
22-04-2009, 20:37

That's a filthy lie. TG will almost never be S5 in combat.

Eulogy2
22-04-2009, 20:54

only rarely will someone use the halbreds. its almost always better to have the 2+ save from HW and shield than str 5 with a 4+ save.

that being said, i have used them without a slann before, and they still do pretty well. but theres not much the saurus wont do that they can. with all the extra attacks from spears, saurus will probably kill more, but the 2+ save the TG have in CC is definitly nice at times.

Morthoron
22-04-2009, 21:25
The thing is you see that I'm trying to go with a Southlands style list so want to keep my sauruses to a minimum and I kinda figured Temple Guard are more likely to be left around than normal Saurus Warriors. I also want to have a Slann as part of the fluff and in larger armies so they seem to make more sense to me. They just eat up a huge amount of points without much give (although less than they used thankfully!).

popisdead
29-04-2009, 22:45
2+ save and 11 S4 attacks,.. uh,. they are not bad :)

Duke Georgal
29-04-2009, 23:11
I have never seen them without a Slann. However, I haven't played much against their new book.