PDA

View Full Version : quick question about the tyranid trygon

Semiholy243
22-04-2009, 19:07
i saw the forgeworld trygon model and all i could say is...wow.

i was just wondering before i bought it is it actually a model in the tyranid list or is it a specialty item (like the harridan) that has special rules listed somewhere? if it's the ladder, are there any models in the army that i could replace with the trygon model?

eek107
22-04-2009, 19:15
It's rules have been in Imperial Armour 4 and Imperial Armour: Apocalypse, it's not a codex standard unit. It's considerably larger than a Carnifex or Tyrant, so I don't think you could replace anything with it I'm afraid.

Steel Legion for Life
22-04-2009, 19:16
"Later", I think you mean:)

Phonetics aside, it's a speciality item, rules are in IE 4 - Anphelion project - the book with the Trygon on the cover.

I'd use it as Carnifex or Hive tyrant with two sets of Scything talons at the moment; but I'd also hold off on the FW one, as a plastic Trygon is going to be released in the next 12 months. It's rather large than either of these, but as that's a disadvantage, there shouldn't be a problem, with most opponents.

Semiholy243
22-04-2009, 19:21
thanks for the comments. I'm new to 40k but i've been playing fantasy for a long time. Generally if someone comes to a fantasy tournament with a unit not standard to their army list they get dirty looks or are flat out told they can't use it. Is this not the case in 40k? i mean, are non-codex standard units seen often and not considered offensive on the 40k scene?

Raibaru
22-04-2009, 19:29
Aren't they coming out with a plastic trygon? I'm almost certain they have them on display at the Glen Burnie HQ. Looks just like the FW one, just plastic and cheaper (probably $90 when it comes out like the stompa and baneblade would be my guess).

Mannimarco
22-04-2009, 19:37
agreed, there are some pics of a trygon floating around that are not the forgeeworld one, they came out with GWs hiding things in plain sight

Col. Dash
22-04-2009, 19:58
FW stuff is always iffy. Some groups dont care, others do. I personally dont care if you are using a normal FW model, as in its not a super heavy or flier. Someone around here has come up with the idea that FW products, with the exception of the superheavies and fliers, you do not have to ask permission to use since by agreeing to play then they have already given their permission or something like that. As it seem to be coming out in pastic, I would simply wait.

Shangrila
22-04-2009, 19:58
thanks for the comments. I'm new to 40k but i've been playing fantasy for a long time. Generally if someone comes to a fantasy tournament with a unit not standard to their army list they get dirty looks or are flat out told they can't use it. Is this not the case in 40k? i mean, are non-codex standard units seen often and not considered offensive on the 40k scene?

No usually its the rule of cool, and you can ask to use the Imperial Armor book rules. as long as you opponent agrees you can use whatever you want. my brother brokenhorn uses the trygon i got him in just about every game.

mightymconeshot
22-04-2009, 20:57
This goes kind to common sense. I now it is stated in ia2 that any forge world is legal accept in tournaments. It kinds follows if it was real life you can claim the baneblade is illegal. It will run you over all the same.

Lord Cook
22-04-2009, 22:05
"Later", I think you mean:)

Or actually 'latter'? :rolleyes:

O&G'sRule
22-04-2009, 23:10
i saw the forgeworld trygon model and all i could say is...wow.

i was just wondering before i bought it is it actually a model in the tyranid list or is it a specialty item (like the harridan) that has special rules listed somewhere? if it's the latter, are there any models in the army that i could replace with the trygon model?

Get the real thing, its worth it. Amazing model, don't get a hierophant though (unless you are very good at modelling), stunning, but a complete......swine of a model