PDA

View Full Version : Hunting for a particular scrap of fluff...

Damien 1427
22-04-2009, 19:34
Surrounding the whole idea that Ork technology runs on Clap Your Hands If You Believe (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClapYourHandsIfYouBelieve).

Apparently there's a pretty solid piece of evidence for it in a piece about an ork who captures a grounded Imperial fighter, and escapes in it successfully. Thing is, said fighter was out of fuel at the time, and worked because the ork "believed" it would.

I like to think I'm a rather old hand at the background of this game, but I've never heard of it before. Anyone care to enlighten me if this source exists, and where I may find it?

LexxBomb
23-04-2009, 01:06
im stumped

malika
23-04-2009, 01:28
I remember it was a really sort anecdote kind of thing, was from some WD. Death Skull looter if I recalled correctly...

starlight
23-04-2009, 02:36
Don't recall anything like this...

Iracundus
23-04-2009, 09:35
I know of no such reference. It doesn't sound like very solid evidence if whoever mentioned it did not cite it. It sounds like one of the myriad of claims by people who think heard from someone else who might have read something sometime somewhere...ie it could very well be completely misremembered, be complete fan fiction, or made up on the spot "evidence"

Damien 1427
23-04-2009, 16:22
The thing with TvTropes is that it doesn't use the same rules for notability and sources that Wikipedia does, so it's far more informal and, well, fun instead of being a solid and reliable source of information (Although Wikipedia is hardly that either).

But I do agree, it does sound a bit too much like fanon to me.

Kage2020
23-04-2009, 16:29
But I do agree, it does sound a bit too much like fanon to me.
What an absolutely great term. Henceforth I shall adopt it. :D

Kage

Mannimarco
23-04-2009, 16:55
its new to me, i think the whole "works because they think it does" thing has been swept under the rug or we would have situations where every ork who thinks he's hard would be smacking down titans in one hit and surviving being blown to hell

ork guns work not because the think they do but because of the masses of extra ammo the models have on them

Damien 1427
23-04-2009, 17:00
Well, the only bit I've personally seen was the in-character piece by a Tech Priest who (in my opinion, at least) had no clue and was making it up on the spot. Ork Tech works, for a given value of "works", as it will malfunction (Sooner or later) and kill or seriously injure the ork user (So in most cases will kill anyone else daft enough to try). But it doesn't run on Ork belief. Just the same brand of Science! (Which is different to regular, everyday science) that everything else in 40k runs on.

Cool_Mint
23-04-2009, 20:06
who would have thought you could hold up a car with a wicker basket?
Bart Simpson

I don't know about the fluff but it's not so crazy to think that Orks might come up with effective solutions through sheer stupidity. I mean, what kind of nut first tried running a car on cooking oil or deliberately built bendy skyscrapers?

starlight
23-04-2009, 20:11
You might want to consider your definition of *nut* given that the diesel engine was initially designed (according to the original patents) to run on peanut oil. Diesel fuel was later named for the engine (which was named after the inventor Rudolph Diesel), not the other way around. The strangle hold the petroleum industry has exerted for the last hundred years is the result of...well, that's P&R, so we'll stop here... :)

Lovejoy
23-04-2009, 21:14
The OP's got something here - it's ringing bells, but I can't remember why right now. Certainly Ork meks had some kind of belief thing going on in second and third edition. I'll have to track down a ref or two.
One example IIRC was the 'Red wunz go fasta' rule, where if the vehicle was painted red, Orks thought it would be faster, so it was (an extra d6 move, I think.)

starlight
23-04-2009, 21:28
It sounds like a misremembered/redone version of the GorkaMorka background...

Mannimarco
23-04-2009, 21:47
and the vast majority of gorkamorka was largely done as a joke, the orks were still the comedy clown bad guys

starlight
23-04-2009, 22:12
Sort of a joke. It was more an opportunity to have a lark in the Mad Max style. :) You have to remember what was popular when various GW games came out. :)

Brother Siccarius
23-04-2009, 22:15
its new to me, i think the whole "works because they think it does" thing has been swept under the rug or we would have situations where every ork who thinks he's hard would be smacking down titans in one hit and surviving being blown to hell

ork guns work not because the think they do but because of the masses of extra ammo the models have on them

It's still there, but the in-depth (and in-character) explanation that was in the 3rd ed codex was left out of the current one.

and the vast majority of gorkamorka was largely done as a joke, the orks were still the comedy clown bad guys

I mainly see them as the only over-the-top-ness of the 41st millenium that doesn't take itself seriously.

Techgardist
23-04-2009, 22:23
To me it seems like some cross from that fluffpiece in the death Skullz article, where a death skull loots a downed Marauder and uses itīs autocannons to kill a imp SAR team, and the Deff Squadron comic "Sink da Grimlug" in wich an ork steals a fighterbommer from said ork battleship.

MagrukWikkid
24-04-2009, 09:05
I think you might be thinking of some of the fluff from the Medusa V campaign:

the Tau shoot down an Ork fightabomma pilot, he crashes (although he calls it landing) and they then take him back to their base camp for interrogation/study. As the main Ork force gets closer, the pilot gets more and more aggressive, until he eventually escapes, gets to his crashed plane and flies off. This puzzles the Tau on the ground, as their earth/air caste have inspected the plane and confirmed that it could never leave the ground again.

It's told from the Tau PoV, and I think was in the weekly faction update things they did.

Hope it helps!

Poseidal
24-04-2009, 09:45
I think that's just a base of the primitive, ignorant Tau not understanding the advanced Ork technology.

Terror of the East
24-04-2009, 09:48
Wow i like that Tau + ork pilot fluf :) , on a more simple not some of the ork shootas and other weapons are so badly built that they really should not work, but the theory is that the psychic will of orKs is so strong that because they think it should work it often does. Same theory applies to red paint making things go faster.

MagrukWikkid
24-04-2009, 09:57
Yeah, I really like the idea of Ork tech being more reliable than the build quality would suggest, although I think it gets taken a bit far sometimes. Still, one of my preferred 40k fluff bits.

Damien 1427
24-04-2009, 16:40
Wow i like that Tau + ork pilot fluf :) , on a more simple not some of the ork shootas and other weapons are so badly built that they really should not work, but the theory is that the psychic will of orKs is so strong that because they think it should work it often does. Same theory applies to red paint making things go faster.

Which is just silly. Shootas are crude, and will eventually explode or fall to bits, and stuff painted red will be more likely to have customised engines and other modifications to the engine to increase speed.

Otherwise, you could given an ork a metal pipe, convince him and his mates it's a kustom mega blasta, and it'd function like a semi-automatic anti-tank gun. That's just silly.

MagrukWikkid, that may well be what they meant. Cheers!

Grindgodgrind
24-04-2009, 16:50
To me it seems like some cross from that fluffpiece in the death Skullz article, where a death skull loots a downed Marauder and uses itīs autocannons to kill a imp SAR team, and the Deff Squadron comic "Sink da Grimlug" in wich an ork steals a fighterbommer from said ork battleship.

This guy beat me to it, but I was gonna relate that first story for sure.