PDA

View Full Version : Heresy era Word Bearers: Help needed!!! (no pics yet)

malika
22-04-2009, 21:03
I'm planning on making a true scale Word Bearers from the Battle of Calth. The idea is to model the characters Marduk and Burias from Dark Apostle/Dark Discipline from their time fighting the Ultramarines.

What I'm looking for are suggestions, comments, ideas, inspiration.

I'm not going for gaming mechanics, so I have full liberty when it comes to the wargear. However, I'm not 100% sure what kind of look/conversions I want to use to represent Heresy era Word Bearers. All red armour? Or some still with black? Chaotic? If so, how Chaotic? What kind of wargear?

Does Dark Discipline offer any more info on Burias and Marduk's pre Heresy stuff?

Plan so far:
-The squad will consist of five marines.
-Marduk will be a normal Marine at the time; Kol Badar was mentioned as being in the Legion for centuries longer than Marduk and was a sergeant when Lorgar just turned to Chaos. I assume that Marduk therefore was still new in the Legion, and not yet an officer.
-Burias: also a normal marine, but more aggressive (potential hints at his future possession), I like the idea of him having some close combat weapon, maybe a lightening claw.
-Officer: probably a sergeant or something. Thinking about giving him a power sword and a combi weapon. I have Azrael's hands lying around which I might use for that. However, plasma/bolter combi doesn't sound too fitting, might cut off the front part and add the front of the Sisters of Battle Canoness' combi flamer (how compatible are they?)
-Heavy weapon marine: Don't know if he should get a heavy bolter, missile launcher or something else.
-Other marine, probably just a bolter like Marduk. Any suggestions would be welcome. I have been thinking about making this guy a "Dead Speaker", it was a concept that came from the novel Daemonworld in which the Sorcerer could hear the words of the dead. The idea will be that this marine was a potential psyker, about to be put in the Librarian Division, but then the Council of Nikea happened and he got redeployed in the normal companies. He doesn't really have psykic powers, he just has "the gift".

So yeah...any ideas/suggestions/comments on the idea? The idea is to have a very fluffy squad, five marines, each with their own history and such.

totgeboren
22-04-2009, 21:31
At the battle of Calth the Word Bearers would have changed the colour of their armour to show their "new" allegiance.
Also, Battle of the abyss (kinda crappy book but whatever, WB are my favorite legion) claims that the word bearers don the "horns of Lorgar", as in putting horns on their helmets.
that piece of fluff is new, but it sounds like a nice touch, if you like horns on your marines. :)

Yeah, Burias should look like an assault marine. I dunno, he has a daemon bound in a chainsword in Dark Apostle. It would be fitting if he has a chainsword, since I assume that hehad the daemon bound in his "favorite" weapon?

Someone in the squad should have some form of flamer. The officer could have a combi-flamer, since flamers fit the "religious fanatic"-thingy the WB got going.

H.weapon marine would look best with a h.bolter or multimelta I think. They are the nicest looking h.weapons for marines, so I would go for them just because of the look.

FlashGordon
22-04-2009, 21:45
I painted mine in the pre heresy colour (dark metallic) and all their robes and stuff in crimson red. Looks real good. Added books with crimson red covers with yellow lightning. ^^,

malika
22-04-2009, 22:04
At the battle of Calth the Word Bearers would have changed the colour of their armour to show their "new" allegiance.
Makes sense, however the Horus Heresy artbooks seem to show black/grey Word Bearers as well. I'm pondering of doing a mix. It seems there are various ways the Word Bearers dealt with their change of colours. Battle for the Abyss seems to suggest that they all destroyed their original suits and got new red ones. To me that sounds highly impractical and odd, wouldn't it be slightly off to the Adeptus Mechanicus when they realise that about 100k suits of power armour have been destroyed for no other reason that to get new ones?

Erebus seems to have repainted his armour red if I recall correctly. I like the idea that only the "most worthy" of the Word Bearers actually destroyed their armour and received totally new suits. However, even this is a custom that differs between the various Chapters. Many would have simply repainted their armour. Even that could be something ritualised, I like the idea that the leading officer is totally red (either repainted or a new suit) while the rest of the squad is partly red. The rooky might still have mostly black armour while the rest are slowly repainting their armour red. So black parts could still be around... I have to be careful with that though as in not to make the differences too extreme because otherwise the squad won't look uniform at all. I would kind of have to go to old school Eavy Metal way of those Chaos Warrriors which tended to be red, black, brass and silver. They all looked the same but a closer look make one realise all the small differences.

Also, Battle of the abyss (kinda crappy book but whatever, WB are my favorite legion) claims that the word bearers don the "horns of Lorgar", as in putting horns on their helmets.
What kind of horns are they? Personally I'm not so much into the horny (no, not that kind of horny) helmets. I might give it a shot though, I was thinking about adding small spikes, sort of a "spiky" version of the studded Mk5 Heresy Patter helmet.

Yeah, Burias should look like an assault marine. I dunno, he has a daemon bound in a chainsword in Dark Apostle. It would be fitting if he has a chainsword, since I assume that hehad the daemon bound in his "favorite" weapon?
Marduk had the daemonically possessed chainsword. I might give Marduk the bolter and chainsword as equipment. Need to find a chainsword though. :P
Burias might even be getting two close combat weapons, he just strikes to be as more extreme/aggressive. I hope I still have some interesting chainweapons left!

Someone in the squad should have some form of flamer. The officer could have a combi-flamer, since flamers fit the "religious fanatic"-thingy the WB got going.
I know! It's just a shame that I tore my flamer apart years ago. I might try to get my hands on a new one. The officer (don't know what rank yet) is probably either going to get a plasma/bolter combi or a flamer/bolter combi, depending on how succesful my experiment will be. I've got Azrael's plasma/bolter combi lying around somewhere and also this SoB Canoness model with the flamer/bolter combi. I've been thinking about cutting both weapons up (front parts) and exchange them.

H.weapon marine would look best with a h.bolter or multimelta I think. They are the nicest looking h.weapons for marines, so I would go for them just because of the look.
I was thinking the same, I still have the Land Speeder multimelta lying around. I might try to convert it into some sort of heavy flamer. That way I've got the heavy weapon, and the whole flamey death thing covered.

I painted mine in the pre heresy colour (dark metallic) and all their robes and stuff in crimson red. Looks real good. Added books with crimson red covers with yellow lightning. ^^,
Got pics?

FlashGordon
22-04-2009, 22:45
yeah but they are in my camera, will try to upload them tomorrow, sleepin time for me now.

malika
23-04-2009, 01:34
Any info from Dark Disciple on Marduk and Burias' Heresy era ventures?