PDA

View Full Version : Iyanden, Farseers and Aspect Warriors...

Grindgodgrind
22-04-2009, 23:54
Right,

So I'm planning a new 40k army, I want to do an Iyanden army. I love the tragedy behind Iyandens backstory. However, I was planning an army based on some of the remaining Aspect Warriors of Iyanden, led by a pair of Farseers. I'll be adding Wraith constructs in due time, but for now, I want my Iyanden army to be about the living, not the dead, so to speak. I also really like that natty Bananaman-esque colour scheme.

Would it be 'unfluffy' to have an Iyanden army lacking Wraith constructs? Also, anyone got some ever-so-helpful pictures of an Iyanden Farseer?

Cheers!

PondaNagura
23-04-2009, 00:10
meh, you know not all games have to exist in the years of 40k, like pre-heresy marine armies. your army could just be pre-nid invasion, so plenty of eldar to spare. then as your army progresses, so can time...

Gimp
23-04-2009, 00:19
meh, you know not all games have to exist in the years of 40k, like pre-heresy marine armies. your army could just be pre-nid invasion, so plenty of eldar to spare. then as your army progresses, so can time...

Agreed in fact it could even be a "during nid invasion" army with lots of dead/dying nids all over the place.

You could also add that Prince Yriel (spelling?) and make it his personal army that returned to save the day (and would thus have some surviving aspect warriors.

AndrewGPaul
23-04-2009, 00:29
Your army will have, what, 50-60 models in it? I'm pretty sure even Iyanden can rustle up that many Aspect Warriors. No need to worry about it being "unfluffy".

Grindgodgrind
23-04-2009, 00:36
That's what I was thinking ;). Now, my friends, help me out with an idea for a Farseer colour scheme.

Hellebore
23-04-2009, 02:06
Iyanden lost 4/5ths of its population. But it was a huge craftworld with millions of people on it. Even if it only had 5 million people (which it most assuredly didn't - it would have had tens of billions) that would leave 1 million people left. Plenty for live forces.

The problem I've always had with Iyanden is the garish yellow. I will never paint an army that colour. However, you can tone the yellow down a bit by mixing it with bleached bone to created a yellowed bone effect. The colour doesn't come a cross so bright whilst still retaining the 'yellow' that Iyanden is supposed to have (just like GW changed the 2nd Ultras from yellow shoulder trim to gold shoulder trim).

With a bleach bone/yellow colour you get a more subdued and less garish look. Paint the outer robes of the farseer that colour and the inner robes blue. Depending on skill do some robe border lines and swirls in blue. The helmet can be blue, or maybe just pure bleached bone. Depends what you're going for.

Hellebore

Grindgodgrind
23-04-2009, 02:30
To be fair, Hellebore, that's the main problem with Iyanden I have, how to carry off the yellow without it looking really garish. The majority of the army is going to be blue anyway (Dire Avengers). Hmmm.

Iyanden was supposed to have been the most populous craftworld pre-Kraken, right?

Hellebore
23-04-2009, 02:49
Yes, it was supposed to be the biggest craftworld ever. The picture of it from the Doom of the Eldar board game pictures it with at least 7 nature domes with oceans and mountain ranges in them. They take up less than a fifth of the space of the ship itself.

If you paint them mostly blue though they will look like Alaitoc. They seem to represent opposite colour combinations with Iyanden yellow with blue and Alaitoc blue with yellow.

Hellebore

PondaNagura
23-04-2009, 03:20
hmm, i always had in my mind, that the sunburst yellow (or whatever color it is) was at least for the wraithguard more of a celebration of life; or rather a hailing back to when they were truly alive and not re-animated constructs. so that while the main forces could be the garish yellow/blue, the spiritseers had to take up a more ceremonial role, and could be exempt from the colors, perhaps the blue, with gold/yellow stones, but otherwise would have a color signifying death (white, black, red, whatever that color is for that culture).
not so sure about the generic troops, i suppose the yellow look could be "look at us, we're alive!"

but that's just my view

noobzor
23-04-2009, 03:34
works fine. not ALL of iyanden was wiped out. besides, this could be from before the nids or hundreds of year later.

Grindgodgrind
23-04-2009, 09:36
Yes, it was supposed to be the biggest craftworld ever. The picture of it from the Doom of the Eldar board game pictures it with at least 7 nature domes with oceans and mountain ranges in them. They take up less than a fifth of the space of the ship itself.

If you paint them mostly blue though they will look like Alaitoc. They seem to represent opposite colour combinations with Iyanden yellow with blue and Alaitoc blue with yellow.

Hellebore

Ah, I had Doom Of The Eldar as a kid. Happy days.

How could I link the predominantly blue colourings of Dire Avengers in with Iyanden. -Scratches chin-.

I've decided that my Farseer is going to be based on Kelmon, as he was a character oft referred to in 1st and 2nd edition background.

Magos Explorator
23-04-2009, 18:29
I think that the battle with Tyranids only happened in the very recent timeline in 40k (10 years, or 100 years tops--I don't remember the exact date) so even in "recent" years odds are that the Tyranids haven't arrived yet and Iyanden is fine.

Raibaru
23-04-2009, 18:39
You can make the yellow come off very well. Try to sift through galleries of things other then just Eldar. Imperial Fists for example are all yellow and there are many examples of them in amazing yellow armor that doesn't look like a super hero.

This for example:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=37

Radium
24-04-2009, 05:41
Check the link in my sig, it features a very Iyanden-like army in the first 8 or so pages.

For the farseer I'd go with yellow armour, white on the inside of the robes, and blue on the outside.
As for fluff: it's perfectly acceptable for Iyanden to field a live force, they should have plenty of those around even after Kraken.

The_Chaos_Seer
24-04-2009, 06:03
I think this is a great idea. It opens up this idea of modelling the survivors like veterans, the lucky or courageous few who survived the war with the tyranids. You could give your army more flavor than the standard Eldar look already has.

Idaan
24-04-2009, 09:21
I think that the battle with Tyranids only happened in the very recent timeline in 40k (10 years, or 100 years tops--I don't remember the exact date) so even in "recent" years odds are that the Tyranids haven't arrived yet and Iyanden is fine.
There is some disagreement whether it happened in 994, 993 or 992.M41. The last rulebook has it in 993, but it gets the sequence of the battles wrong. Ichar IV was after the battle of Iyanden, because the Eldar force showed up there to help defeat Kraken. Which the rulebook omits, playing up the role of Ultramarines. :rolleyes:
So, it was 5 to 7 years ago in the current timeline, and even immediately after the battle the Iyanden Eldar were able to muster an expeditionary force to Ichar.

Poseidal
24-04-2009, 09:32
All the major Craftworlds are large enough to have field any force in the codex in a 40k size battle. Iyanden can still field titans and Epic size forces so it shouldn't be a problem.

Grindgodgrind
25-04-2009, 00:04
Cheers guys, and Iracundus, I was also perplexed when no mention was made of the Eldar helping out with the defence of Ichar IV.