PDA

View Full Version : Dunedain help

korskarnkai
23-04-2009, 00:37
I want to get into the LotR game, and in particular the Grey Company. However, I have a couple of questions. :)

1. The Arnor list lets you take several Rangers of Arnor for each Dunedain. Does this fit the fluff? I thought that the "rangers" that Strider is described as were the Dunedain? Or are their "normal" rangers under the command of the Dunedain as well?

2. Is an Arnor list comprised entirely of Dunedain a remotely competitive list? It will have a small model count but a huge amount of might to draw from...

Thanks guys!

Deakor
23-04-2009, 01:51
I can speak more directly to the first question than to the second (as I don't get to play much).

I think the general idea of the Arnor list is that Dunedain and/or Rangers of the North (they are differentiated in the army list w/ RotN costing a point as their Def is one point higher) are the "Rangers" that Tolkien referred to. While GW draws a distinction in the rules, I believe that Tolkien used the terms interchangably - Aragorn is often referred to as The Dunedan by Bilbo, for instance while others just call him a Ranger.

There aren't many of them (only 30 came with Halbarad, Elladan, and Elrohir to walk the Paths of the Dead with Aragorn) but they are each remarkable individuals; far above "normal" men. Because Tolkien doesn't mention how many Rangers there are in total, there is no way to know exactly how large this force is. The only number I recall from the books is the 30 that went with Halbarad. In game, each of these models is expensive (befitting their stat line) and would be an even tinier force than they already are without some cheaper "troops." to go with them.

To bulk out the army list (since each individual ranger is a hero in his own right), the Rangers of Arnor represent others in the North who work with the Dunedain/Rangers of the North to protect the people there. They are "normal" men helping to protect their homes and the people in the area. Thematically, I think it is more than likely that the Dunedain/Rangers would work with other like-minded folk in the North to defend the area. Tolkien really doesn't address it - but at one point in the Fellowship of the Ring it is mentioned that Gandalf and Aragorn had the watch over the Shire doubled. If the actual number of true Dunedain was in the neighborhood of 30, it is conceivable to imagine that others allied with them assisted in the guard duties, lest other areas be completely neglected. The Rangers had a lot of ground to cover, after all.

So, that's a long answer to a short question - I think that thematically it is fine to use the Grey Company list as it is presented, though technically, it is likely that only your heroes (Dunedain and/or Rangers of the North) are true members of the Grey Company as Tolkien described it. At the very least, imagining that the Rangers recruited and worked with other men in the North to defend the land does not run counter to what Tolkien presented. I think it fits the fluff just fine.

I'll take a brief shot at your second question. My guess would be no, a "pure" Dunedain/Ranger of the North army would likely not be competitive simply because of the small numbers. I have heard of all hero armies working, but they typically involve truly epic heroes (say taking Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Halbarad, Elladan, and Elrohir - to represent the heroes who walked the Paths of the Dead). As I said though, my play experience is limited, so I leave this question to others more knowledgeable than I.

jaws900
23-04-2009, 08:07
I want to get into the LotR game, and in particular the Grey Company. However, I have a couple of questions. :)

1. The Arnor list lets you take several Rangers of Arnor for each Dunedain. Does this fit the fluff? I thought that the "rangers" that Strider is described as were the Dunedain? Or are their "normal" rangers under the command of the Dunedain as well?

2. Is an Arnor list comprised entirely of Dunedain a remotely competitive list? It will have a small model count but a huge amount of might to draw from...

Thanks guys!

There are few Dunedain left. the rangers are just trained men from places like Bree but they do not have the Dunedain blood line.

Jorgen_CAB
23-04-2009, 08:14
I would basically see the Dunedain as elite rangers mixed in with a few real Dunedain who act as the companies leaders and motivators. I also believe that the common people would not know the difference from one ranger to the next from those parts of the land.

If we talk WotR, then I would not presume that the whole company were of Dunedain bloodline, that would be pretty absurd. Perhaps some diluted blood here and there, but not pure Dunedain blood in any case.

korskarnkai
23-04-2009, 08:26
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'm leaning towards including either:

Aragorn (Isildur's Heir variant), Halbarad, Elladan & Elrohir, and 11 Grey Company with armour and spears;

or;

Aragorn (Isildur's Heir varient), Halbarad, 9 Grey Company with armour and spears and 24 rangers of arnor.

I know the second list will probably do much better than the first, but the first would be more fun for my opponents and I think the eliteness of that list fits the Dunedain better.

hmm...

Klev
02-01-2011, 00:15
This is quite old I do not care I will correct this wrong info: All rangers of the North is Dunedain, they isolate themselves from other people, the Dunedain have allmost the same power as the eldar(elves) In the book Frodo asks something about the rangers and dunedain and gandalf replies that the rangers are the Dunedain, the remaining people of the north-kingdom of Arnon, and Arnor was quite strong and a numerous people, it's more that 30 rangers, the gray company is the same as the rangers of the north, But they are those that rode to the war in the south, and are most likely elite rangers like Royal guards. the rangers of the north are mere Dunedain. the dunedain is probably about 1000 people men, women, children. This is not a fact but something I think(the number of people) But all rangers of the north are dunedain, they do not recruit other people because they do not trust them, and most people think the rangers of the north Bandits, Even the rangers in the south, rangers from Gondor Is people with dunedain blood. Not all but some of them have dunedain blood, in the book they even speak Sindarin(And elven speech) There you have it, get it get it? Yes I know much ****.

brain_dead_1st
04-01-2011, 17:29
I play against a ranger army alot
He uses
aragorn mounted
twins mounted with armour
Then stick strongly to the 4:1 ratio of rangers of arnor to rangers of the north.

Rules wise I think rangers of the north are better than dunedain...

I know this list is good but not without its flaws.

If you want some flaws then see THE SHADOW LORD. But rangers are pretty nifty in combat at fight 4.
I use the shadow lord and the dark marshal, and then take a black numenorian n orc army. This gives me a fighting chance to take down aragorn n co

korskarnkai
05-01-2011, 01:04
I play against a ranger army alot
He uses
aragorn mounted
twins mounted with armour
Then stick strongly to the 4:1 ratio of rangers of arnor to rangers of the north.

Rules wise I think rangers of the north are better than dunedain...

I know this list is good but not without its flaws.

If you want some flaws then see THE SHADOW LORD. But rangers are pretty nifty in combat at fight 4.
I use the shadow lord and the dark marshal, and then take a black numenorian n orc army. This gives me a fighting chance to take down aragorn n co
This is pretty much the army I ended up with, though I use an unmounted Halbarad as well. Lately I've been thinking of dropping Aragorn for Arwen and more rangers;

Twins (heavy armour, horses).
Halbarad.
8 RotN (spears)
27 RoA (11 spears)
Arwen (horse, cloak)