PDA

View Full Version : Raveners and Synapse

hendybadger
23-04-2009, 13:29
I have a question about how pwople use raveners.
I usually run a Nid-Zilla list with Zoanthropes + Genestealers.
Synapse was never a problem for me.
But now i want to add a couple of units of Raveners.

So. How do people cope with deep striking Raveners and Synase for them?

Vestigialante
23-04-2009, 13:32
Raveners are fast enough that I don't see too much of a point in deepstriking them, especially since you have to spend a turn sitting around wherever you ended up, waiting until you can assault in the next one.

I'd much rather make use of their 24" maximum charge range on my own terms.

Lord Cook
23-04-2009, 13:40
Raveners are far better advancing up the board and charging normally. I've tried the deep striking raveners and it's been done to me in return, and it never works. They just get shot to pieces the turn they arrive.

hendybadger
23-04-2009, 17:44
would it be worth taking warriors along with them?

the_picto
23-04-2009, 18:32
Aren't raveners ld10? I wouldn't worry about being out of synapse range too much.

Charistoph
23-04-2009, 19:16
would it be worth taking warriors along with them?

That largely depends on the make up of the rest of your army.

If you're taking Warriors to provide Synapse to just one unit, (and a faster one, to boot), then I wouldn't say it's worth it. Give them wings so they're both Synapse and Jump units, and maybe. Give them another unit to provide Synapse along the way, and their return on investment will start being worth it.

Vepr
23-04-2009, 19:36
I don't use them that often but I have had better luck spring boarding mine from behind a fex or HT that gives them pretty good cover than with deep striking. I worked one or two in tandem with a foot slogging CC Tyrant before. They would come out from behind the HT and soften up and often hold up a unit or target until the HT got to it and finished it off.

Threeshades
23-04-2009, 20:07
Aren't raveners ld10? I wouldn't worry about being out of synapse range too much.

it does help against unwanted powerfists and krak missiles/lascannon blasts too.

IrishDelinquent
23-04-2009, 21:05
If you're running a Nid-zilla list with genestealers, spring for a Broodlord. You will definately be in his synapse range.

hendybadger
23-04-2009, 22:41
I only have Hive Tyrants as HQ.
And 3 Zoans as heavy fire support.
So still abit confused on how to use the Ravs and what unit to give ( or not give ) synapse cover.

lego_king
23-04-2009, 22:46
Winged CC Tyrant for synapse support on ravs if you are worried about it. They are not so fast that they get out of his bubble if you are using them together.

Also tried them out with Deathspitters and paired ST's against orks the other day and was pleasantly surprised. they were a great charge/counter charge unit
they hugged my walking shooty 'rant, keeping assaults from getting to him with their speed on the charge. they shooting was thier to keep them working that role but still able to cause threat on my opponent.

hendybadger
23-04-2009, 22:52
Im going to be running 2 x 6 Ravs with ST,RC + DS
Considered using winged warriors as support for them but thats the only use id have for the unit.