PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Pattern?

Orwin
23-04-2009, 18:44
It's interesting to see that, despite 20 years or so of time, GW hasn't still found a stable pattern to both it's products layouts and rules. It also seems to divert a lot depending on books author. Any idea of why they seem to not having found what they are looking for?

starlight
23-04-2009, 18:47
You answered your own question. It depends on the people in charge. Since those people change, so do the rules and standards. :(

Mostly they *aren't* looking for anything, they're just putting out stuff for us to buy and moving on to the next project.

Orwin
23-04-2009, 19:40
So they are not looking for a pattern?

RichBlake
23-04-2009, 19:43
I think they will just keep trying new stuff until they find something good, run with it until they find something better and repeat.

For example the Eldar and Ork codexes had different layouts, which were replicated in the Space Marine and Imperial Guard codexes.

The idea that GW will one day go "Wow we perfected the game, job done!" is a little bit off the mark to be honest :p

Sir_Turalyon
23-04-2009, 19:43
It's interesting that after 80+ years writers haven't estabilished yet what Superman can and what he can't do. If you want to keep selling the same product to the same people, you need to change it constantly; not to improve it (althrough it's favorable) but just to always have something "new" to sell.

Ravenous
23-04-2009, 19:44
Its a living game, hence it needs the surprise of change to constantly bring in new life and money.

starlight
23-04-2009, 19:57
Or at least the willingness to recycle old ideas for new generations. :)

satanslandlady
23-04-2009, 20:21
It's interesting to see that, despite 20 years or so of time, GW hasn't still found a stable pattern to both it's products layouts and rules. It also seems to divert a lot depending on books author. Any idea of why they seem to not having found what they are looking for?

I mentioned this in the thread Are 40k rules over complicated (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193956). They just have crappy designers who should be fired XD. And they should hire me >.>

Shinnentai
23-04-2009, 21:31
If GW were to release a well balanced rules set and faultless codices, why would people buy the next editions? ^^

starlight
23-04-2009, 22:25
Apocalypse, Planetstrike, GorkaMorka, etc, etc. Expansions, updates, new models. GW makes their money on the *models*, not the rulebooks. :)

Lord Cook
24-04-2009, 01:43
Or at least the willingness to recycle old ideas for new generations. :)

You mean to say it wasn't all original? What madness is this!? Ah well, at least we have the new and entirely unseen-before equipment like Conversion beamers and Vortex grenades...

starlight
24-04-2009, 02:14
Young whippersnappers. :p

Gutlord Grom
24-04-2009, 02:21
Hey did you guys here about this Eldar Sub-dex? It's called Dark Eldar.

Funny, you'd think it be advertised more.

War_Dart
24-04-2009, 02:40
It's a pretty common marketing technique to subtly change a product every so often so customer interest doesn't stagnate. This happens all the time in the food industry - for example, the flavors of your favorite snack foods are altered slightly according to a schedule based on data gained from taste sampling over time.

This applies to other industries less subtly as well...look at cars, computers, clothes, etc. If a car company had a great model year design, it would make sense from a budgetary and manufacturing standpoint to keep producing that same model indefinitely - but after a while people lose interest and the company loses money.

I'm not implying GW is that sophisticated though.

starlight
24-04-2009, 02:47
Don't worry, they aren't. :p

Blinder
24-04-2009, 04:50
If they were that sophisticated we wouldn't have this ridiculous new codex layout- I can deal with the rules changing, even with the "mixed bag" each edition has given us it *is* nice to have things shaken up every once and a while, but really... why the heck did they spread every unit's stats and rules across two sections of a book just because they could?!?!? It isn't like they don't know how to lay a book out, the rulebook (especially the mini) is actually quite good and even has a somewhat functional index this time... but..

Maybe they decided since they were changing just about everything *in* the Codices, they should go ahead and ditch 2+ editions of similar (and sane) layout for mind-boggling insanity?

loveless
24-04-2009, 05:03
It's interesting that after 80+ years writers haven't estabilished yet what Superman can and what he can't do.

One thing Superman can't do: Be as cool as Batman. *nods*

I'm under the impression that late 4th Edition and 5th Edition books have very similiar layouts.

Fluff -> Unit Entries -> Wargear Explanations -> Army List

With a color section somewhere in there, I don't recall where.