PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War Necron Fluff

Bonzai
24-04-2009, 01:13
I was introduced to the Necron Fluff through the Dawn of War games. In the games, the Necrons are presented as an ancient Nihlistic race bent on extinguishing all life in the galaxy. After reading the codex, I have to ask where this comes from? The Necrons aren't out to destroy all life. In fact they want life to continue. They merely want to enslave it, and have all sentients worshiping the C'tan and becoming sacrifices. No life, no food. Thats why they went into stasis when the enslavers showed up.

So is there any reason for this deviation in their back ground? Or is it just another case of a game designer trampling fluff? (I could see a renegade tomb world doing this. A crazed Necron lord out to exterminate all life to prevent his former master's return).

Zahr Dalsk
24-04-2009, 01:21
In the games, the Necrons are presented as an ancient Nihlistic race bent on extinguishing all life in the galaxy.

In the games, Space Marines come in the thousands :)

Don't put too much stock in it.

That said, in 5e there ARE some Lords who do like extermination, but then, in 5e, you can have your Necron Lord act however you want it to, including being a peaceful, benevolent defender of life.

Lord Cook
24-04-2009, 01:33
In Dawn of War, hellguns fire like a laser gatling gun. Differing interpretations of both background and game play for the sake of fitting easily marketable stereotypes and game balance. More simplistic characterizations are easier to put across in a fast-paced RTS like Dawn of War where you have little space for explaining background.

Zahr Dalsk
24-04-2009, 01:37
In Dawn of War, hellguns fire like a laser gatling gun

Yes, it really is awesome :D

Inquisitor Engel
24-04-2009, 04:21
To be honest, it seems to be where the Necron background is going. Relic is pretty informed on background and model changes prior to their actual changes but still keep pretty tight lipped about it.

They were probably informed of the "tiered-lord" system we see in Apocalypse and will likely see in the next Necron Codex.

Bregalad
24-04-2009, 08:40
I was introduced to the Necron Fluff through the Dawn of War games. In the games, the Necrons are presented as an ancient Nihlistic race bent on extinguishing all life in the galaxy. After reading the codex, I have to ask where this comes from? The Necrons aren't out to destroy all life. In fact they want life to continue. They merely want to enslave it, and have all sentients worshiping the C'tan and becoming sacrifices. No life, no food. Thats why they went into stasis when the enslavers showed up.

So is there any reason for this deviation in their back ground? Or is it just another case of a game designer trampling fluff? (I could see a renegade tomb world doing this. A crazed Necron lord out to exterminate all life to prevent his former master's return).
This is a PC game by a non-GW company. PC games follow their own rules and are not the place for subtle backgrounds. A.o. again we have a planet where all races meet at the same time (like Medusa V), then we have allternative endings for said planet according to who wins the campaign. So have fun with the game but don't take it too seriously regarding background information.

pookie
24-04-2009, 13:44
they do not require Life to survive, and depending on who wrote the source ( ie is it from a Cron POV, Imperium POV etc ) depends on how its actually reads.

C'Tan (iirc) can survive on the power of suns, they just pref 'Life force' as its a tastier treat for them.

Bonzai
24-04-2009, 17:07
they do not require Life to survive, and depending on who wrote the source ( ie is it from a Cron POV, Imperium POV etc ) depends on how its actually reads.

C'Tan (iirc) can survive on the power of suns, they just pref 'Life force' as its a tastier treat for them.

Yeah, but that is like living off of Ramen noodles. You can do it, but boy does it get old....