PDA

View Full Version : 40K Daemons to Fantasy Daemons

JCOLL
24-04-2009, 01:43
Hey guys and gals, I know this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it with the search function...but basically, is it legal for me to play my round based Daemons in WFB since mostly everything will be put on a movement tray? What about sticky tacking round bases overtop square ones? I still play my Daemons in 40K so don't want something perminent, just something easy to rearange.

Also, I did another search looking for some good painting logs on Daemons but didn't find very much. Have any good logs you like to haunt? Thanks in advance!

steffandevil
24-04-2009, 01:49
try out the Daemonic Legion website/forum - it should have all your Daemon needs!
http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?

WhiteKnight
24-04-2009, 04:27
If you could, magnetize the bases so you could switch them off.

TheDarkDuke
24-04-2009, 05:05
I've always been of the thought of they should be based on the square base as it will not affect the play of 40k as it would in fantasy. It would also be the easiest way as you would not have to alter/switch/tacky/magnetize anything.

Staurikosaurus
24-04-2009, 05:07
some of the base sizes are different for 40K and fantasy though so I'd recommend round bases for the majority, and removeable bases for things like monstrous creatures, bloodcrushers etc.

CrownAxe
24-04-2009, 06:24
in 40k, the general rule is that models should use the bases they come with

and daemons come with square bases, so its no problem there

Godfiend
24-04-2009, 08:31
But to actually answer the question: if the round base occupies the same area as the square base would (no, don't get all 'mathy' on me, you know what I mean!), then stick it in a movement tray and go for it.

Leogun_91
24-04-2009, 08:34
Stick them in 40k and avoid the cries of cheese, thatīs what I do.

Corpse
24-04-2009, 08:48
This is what I would do:

The bases, slice under them so that they are level and have nothing inside the "cup" of the base upside down. Then make a hole where one foot would be. Make sure its the same spot for all bases, being able to be reversed for whatever reason. Add the weight you normally glue under the bases, a half clipped penny or whatever.

Now bend up and clip apart some paperclips. It takes a few tries the first model, just glue a paperclip bit on the botom of the foot, long enough to slip inside and hook underneath. Then glue a piece of paperclip so when you twist the model it sort of "locks" inside the base. Like a key you twist inside a door and it wont come out until its straightened again.

Now if you want to get technical, you could use invisible looking fishing string and have it looped where the un-hooked foot stops after twisting the model to lock it into place.
Takes practice, patients and some measuring but hey most people prefer to paint their models un-assembled. So its no biggy right? Go the extra mile so you dont have to buy 2x the models.

Tae
24-04-2009, 09:41
But to actually answer the question: if the round base occupies the same area as the square base would (no, don't get all 'mathy' on me, you know what I mean!), then stick it in a movement tray and go for it.

A rank of 5 round bases in the new WotR movement trays occupies the same space as 6 equivilent square bases, so nothing too hugely different.

Finnigan2004
24-04-2009, 13:40
Gale Force 9 makes movement trays that allow round based daemons to rank up exactly like square ones.

theunwantedbeing
24-04-2009, 14:23
Your much better off taking everything off its base and putting it on the correct Fantasy base.
Square bases are legal in 40k, and they cause no issues in Fantasy whatsoever.

You'll have all the correct Fantasy bases anyway from buying your 40k army of daemons.

Ixquic
24-04-2009, 16:14
I have a friend that used green stuff to create slots on a modular movement tray so his demons with round bases could rank up. I think that's the best way to do it without using square bases in 40k (hinky).

Discord
24-04-2009, 17:39
Your much better off taking everything off its base and putting it on the correct Fantasy base.
Square bases are legal in 40k, and they cause no issues in Fantasy whatsoever.

Agreed. However, do it the other way around and put everything on round bases and you'll start having issues (unless you magnetize them or something, which would be a whole lot of work). Flamers/nurglings and mounted daemonettes/flesh hounds for example. The former skirmish and don't have regiment bases, while the latter would need big round bases which are wider than the fantasy cavalry bases.

Zoolander
24-04-2009, 18:05
You won't have trouble playing a friendly game, but tournaments will frown on it. The problem you will have in using round bases in fantasy is in certain situations involving line of site. You can guesstimate the 90 degree view, but it still would not be completely accurate. The other issue is more minor, and it's lining up troops for combat. Again, you can guess at what bases are touching his, and if you are familiar with both bases you could probably figure it out flawlessly. I couldn't as I haven't played 40k in 10 -15 years or more.

I agree with Unwanted, as I often do. Switch the base to the square one. It won't matter in 40k, and cuts out a lot of hassle in fantasy.

dal9ll
24-04-2009, 22:44
If you create square movement trays that will fit the round bases that will solve the problem with your rank-and-file units. Then your only concern should be your greater daemons and monsters on the 40mm+ round bases.

Replacing the bases, magnetizing, and some of these other previously mentioned methods are extremely tedious and unnecessary.