PDA

View Full Version : Tau: Playing Style?

Imperius
24-04-2009, 03:37
After all the fuzz about the Imperial Guard has died down a bit I would like to start Tau. Superior shooting but horrific close combat seems to make them a perfect match agaisn't my Imperial Guard army.

But what play style is best for them? I think there is only 1 or 2 Tau players in my club, and they hardly ever come so I don't know how to play them.

Should I go 'Nid-zilla' and have as many battlesuits as I can? Or is there some other 'tactical' way to play the Tau.

Yarick Zan
24-04-2009, 03:41
http://advancedtautactica.com/

Best place to get an idea about how they work. I found them quite helpful when I started back in 4th ed. (I have yet to play a 5th ed game).

Creeping Dementia
24-04-2009, 04:24
Mechanized is the most popular, and probably the most effective overall. It's based around skimmers and battlesuits.

Hybrids usually have a smaller static element, often some Broadsides, Pathfinders and a unit or 2 of Firewarriors, and the rest is a Mechanized element. This is a bit more specialized and a less direct method of playing. Depending on the player it can be super effective or total train wreck.

Static is generally a less effective build style as it seems to maximize their CC weakness (meaning they can't get away). Broadsides and Sniper Drones are often a staple here, along with Firewarriors and some Kroot for an effort at counter-attacking. Main problem with Static Tau is other armys do it better with either a larger amount of firepower (Guard) or actual survivability (Marines).

Naturally these are all generalities, but are good guidelines.

SteelTitan
24-04-2009, 05:50
I always wonder, if you want a mobile shooting army if you are not better off with Eldar? They seem to be doing the same thing...

Lord Humongous
24-04-2009, 06:02
An army that makes good use of pathfinders, fire warriors, and broadsides can be really nasty in 5th ed. Nothing like finding out you only have a 6+ cover save vs an AP 1 hit, or realizing you are within range of 30 pulse rifles, that just got boosted to BS4.

Iceheart2112
24-04-2009, 07:30
For me, Tau are overwhelming precision firepower combined with good mobility. It might not be the mass firepower that a Guard army can throw out, and its not the ultra-speed of the Eldar, but more a combination of the two. They have great units that work well together, assuming that you use them together and not just throw them out there on their own. I'd recommend ATT as well, linked above.

mughi3
24-04-2009, 10:24
Tau follow a pretty simple doctrine-
Move, Shoot, Move again when possible, stay away from CC, sacrifice kroot when necissary

The army really is built around the railgun. it's their little nugget. rather you take it on a broadside or on a hamerhead. S10 AP1 72" range makes it ideal for killing armor or monsterous creatures.

The real downside for troops is that nothing they have unpgrades their shooting like a marine tac squads special or heavy weapon. you get a pulse rifle. sure it's S5 and 30" range but your BS3 and it only has a AP of 5.

With the easy of which it is to get into CC in 5th ed with things running or flanking they really need to be mechanised with a good bit of crisis suit support.

Captain Micha
24-04-2009, 12:18
After all the fuzz about the Imperial Guard has died down a bit I would like to start Tau. Superior shooting but horrific close combat seems to make them a perfect match agaisn't my Imperial Guard army.

But what play style is best for them? I think there is only 1 or 2 Tau players in my club, and they hardly ever come so I don't know how to play them.

Should I go 'Nid-zilla' and have as many battlesuits as I can? Or is there some other 'tactical' way to play the Tau.

Honestly? It's best right now to not start them at all. They really aren't viable after the new guard came out. In 4e they were a decent army capable of getting wins with a skilled player against even the most cheesed of lists, in 5e a skilled player -might- eek out a win against a sub optimal force in the hands of an -okay- enemy commander. Before, it was everything Tau did Eldar did better. Thanks to the happy appy pro Assault Phase Rules, and abundance of 4+ cover in 5e Tau shooting is pretty much worthless. Especially since it was it's most dangerous at close range.

Now it's everything Tau do Guard and Eldar do better.

They really don't pack enough shooting to make up for their horrible assault capability and their so called mobility is just a lame joke.

Instead of going Tau, just buy a pair of Valkyries for your Guard and get some Hellhounds or Sentinels. It's a much more mobile force and is cheaper for you to get into rather than starting a new army.

I've shelfed my Tau army because they just suck too hard now.

Brother Xeron
24-04-2009, 12:24
Im not so sure they are a waste of time. I play blood angels and due to having so many pinning weapons, i found them a real pain in the posterior. Especially when they pin you and in your assault phase you have a squad of veteran assault marines just sitting there, within six inches...unable to charge. Just marvellous

Brother Xeron

Captain Micha
24-04-2009, 12:37
You are playing Blood Angels though. Your army is almost just as bad as Tau.

I imagine if there's not a single 5e codex within 100 miles of you, *including Eldar.. Eldar are 5e * then Tau -might- be viable.

Also if there are no Nidzilla Tyranid players near. You -might- have an army worth fielding.

Xeron, even as BA you should have more than enough stuff capable of assaulting the tau guy. No one takes carbines on FW, so that means you tried going after Pathfinders?

Munch his Warriors and Suits.

samiens
24-04-2009, 12:47
Ok, tau aren't that bad- but it is a real challenge at the moment- though not an unconquerable one!

BrotherCaptain_Vladimir
24-04-2009, 13:03
Depends on what you're playing... we have a small 500 points league running (cause most of the guys in our circle just started to collect their armies), and well-lead Tau proved almost unbeatable... he just takes two Ionheads (which are a pain in the rear armor to kill) and blasts away ;)
No other army (in our circle) can duplicate this capability.

Captain Micha
24-04-2009, 13:29
Eldar Fireprism.

Swooping Hawks fielded =dead hammer head.

War Walkers

all of these things would destroy the two ion 500 pter with contemptuous ease.

Creeping Dementia
24-04-2009, 21:22
Eldar Fireprism.

Swooping Hawks fielded =dead hammer head.

War Walkers

all of these things would destroy the two ion 500 pter with contemptuous ease.

Are you seriously trying to degrade this thread into childish "my list can beat your list" banter???

I understand that you don't like the Tau, maybe you've had bad experiences with them, or maybe you just suck with them. They aren't on the top of the codex curve for sure, but your posts just scream poor tactics and a lack of understanding of how Tau actually work.

There are good Tau players and there are poor Tau players. The good ones can grasp the concept of larger strategy and army cohesion and teamwork. The poor players tend to look purely at firepower stats and have no overall strategy or idea of what to do during the movement phase.

I'm sorry the Tau suck for you now Micha, and that you've decided to shelve them, but from your discriptions I don't think its the Tau that sucks.

Morpholine
24-04-2009, 22:15
I don't mean to throw a garbled metaphor out there, but the Tau are a one-armed prizefighter with a killer uppercut. They have to do a lot of dancing around (and dance well), but when they land their punches, it HURTS.

samiens
24-04-2009, 22:21
Um, none of thos ethings listed are guaranteed to defeat the 2 ionhead army- swooping hawksare no longer massivley effective, plus would be at risk if the ionheads had flechette dischargers. The fire prism still neds a 4 to glanc if it hits and as it will scatter 2/3 of the time that's a big if. Plus should the Ionhead get to the war walkers first they have had it big time. Your post wasn't very helpful really- just baiting Tau supporters

Eirich
24-04-2009, 22:37
It's all about having the right gun at the right place, at the right time. just like any other army.
With some basic competens in how to use each unit then a Tau army can preform quite well.
My best games has actually been those where i started with about 300 points less than my oponent and still been able to give him a good fight that i've won more than once.

Brother Xeron
25-04-2009, 10:51
Hmm i see your point. I do have a habit of going after the irritating pathfinders. However i have a re-match soon and im going to ally some grey knights with my blood angels for a bit of hard hitting firepower

Brother Xeron