PDA

View Full Version : TK or Brets

craskie666
24-04-2009, 17:12
okay im happy with my demons and chaos so was looking at a different army and wanted to do an army from my fav films so i came up with either TK or Brets

so was looking some advice on either of these armies cheers

Condottiere
24-04-2009, 17:16
So basically it comes down to either Excalibur or The Mummy?

Sevitan
24-04-2009, 17:17
Tomb Kings are pretty hard to play, and it's difficult to win with them. Brets are probably easier to play and win with, but would also struggle against the newer lists.

Tomb Kings have some outdated old models as well. Bret models are decent.

If you don't care about any of that, ask yourself if you would play a magic heavy undead "hordy" army that completely relies on magic to do anything, or an probably mostly heavy cavalry knight army.

Ultimate Life Form
24-04-2009, 17:40
Also, depending on if you can restrain yourself, maybe you would want to wait a while. There is a rumour saying that TK get a new book in the not-so-distant future. Donīt know about Bretonnians though. Accompanying the new book with updated rules will undoubtedly be a bunch of new minis.

I also waited for a full year before I would finally start my Vampire army. It allows you to choose the models you want: You still can get the old ones while theyīre available, or you can ditch them and go for the new ones if you like them better.

Or take both, as I did!:D

Zoolander
24-04-2009, 17:44
okay im happy with my demons and chaos so was looking at a different army and wanted to do an army from my fav films so i came up with either TK or Brets

so was looking some advice on either of these armies cheers

Do NOT go TK. They are the bottom of the list in playability, right next to Ogres. I'd wait until next year when the TK book comes out before making a final decision if you ask me. Unless you like struggling in every game you play.

Brets are still a very decent army to play. You will enjoy them more right now, IMO.

silentwitness
24-04-2009, 18:07
I respectfully disagree. I think you should give TK a try. One can draw a lot of parallels between Brets and Daemons. I think you will find that with brets you are playing an army that may in some ways behave similar to your current army.

TK on the other hand will be quite different from what you are used to and will indeed be a challenge to play, but hey the bigger the challenge the more the reward. I'd recommend you see if you can't give both a try at your local club or store and see which one you find to be more exciting to play.

I agree that overall Brets will be more powerful than TK but hey you already have daemons so it doesn't really matter because you already have that ace in the hole.

Ultimate Life Form
24-04-2009, 18:09
I respectfully disagree. I think you should give TK a try. One can draw a lot of parallels between Brets and Daemons. I think you will find that with brets you are playing an army that may in some ways behave similar to your current army.

TK on the other hand will be quite different from what you are used to and will indeed be a challenge to play, but hey the bigger the challenge the more the reward. I'd recommend you see if you can't give both a try at your local club or store and see which one you find to be more exciting to play.

I agree that overall Brets will be more powerful than TK but hey you already have daemons so it doesn't really matter because you already have that ace in the hole.

But then again, he said he was happy with his Daemons!:D

So if the Bretonnians behave the same, chances are, he will be happy with them as well. Itīs a double-edged sword.

Erie Ed
24-04-2009, 18:11
TK are very powerful you just need to know how to play them correctly,

Zoolander
24-04-2009, 18:38
TK are very powerful you just need to know how to play them correctly,

Um... I DO know how to play them correctly (quite well in fact), which is why I'm telling you, respectfully, that you are very wrong. TK are very weak and you will struggle against most armies out there unless you are VERY, VERY good with them. But hey, mileage may vary.

Keller
24-04-2009, 18:45

However, TK are very ismilar to DoC in that they are all unbreakable, ItP, etc. The Brets would give one a chance to experience the wonders of morale and psychology, as well as provide more option in being able to flee (probably wouldn't want to with Knights) and stand & shoot reactions.

I would guess that Brets would be less similar as an army to DoC, but their playstyle could be similar (i.e. run forward and charge.)

sephiroth87
24-04-2009, 19:00
I think the TK do pretty well at 2000-2250 points, especially with Khalida as the tomb king. Brets are easier to win with, though, no argument from me. I just think the tomb kings are a unique army that will probably get more powerful when the new book comes out. I see absolutely no point in buying an army when it comes out for the sole reason that it's suddenly good. If you're going to play an army, play it because you want to and not just because it's perceived to be high on the power curve.

Daleran
24-04-2009, 19:08
bretts don't play similar to demons in any aspect beyond that they both have more melee units than ranged units.
1. Bretts have a major issue with psychology, demons....
2. Demons put a massive psychology strain on other armies, bretts....
3. Bretts have nothing in terms of ranked elite infantry, demons....
4. Bretts have nothing to pressure prolonged combats, demons....
5. Bretts have one of the weakest offensive magic phases in the game, demons....
6. Bretts have no options for a killy character model that is capable of taking on units, or consistently winning against other killy characters/monsters.
7. After a charge Brett troops rely on a good armor save to win combats, demons....
I could keep going on and on, but its easier to just leave it that the two armies are massively dissimilar.

Sevitan
24-04-2009, 20:00
Uhhh, sometimes they both have a ward save of 5+ ?

Max_Killfactor
24-04-2009, 20:13
TK player in our group does pretty well, although he struggles against VC. I've seen him massacre a Dwarf army without losing a model.
Take a lot of magic, 2 SSCs, and as many scorpions as you feel and you will do alright. TK really struggle against armies that can shut down their magic, or simply out-raise them (like VC).

TK really are an army that is rough to start with, get used to losing until you get the hang of them. Once you figure out how to play, they can hold their own with most other armies. VC, Demons, and Dark Elves are nasty for them, but that's true for every army.

Lugribossk
25-04-2009, 00:29
I'd say the Brets too.
Tomb Kings are rather outdated both ruleswise (good luck getting anywhere with them against say Demons or any of the other newer books) and with their models (nowhere near as nice as the new Vampire Counts skeletons, lots of expensive metal models). They also have a hefty learning curve especially if you're playing smaller battle while you buy and paint more.

Erie Ed
25-04-2009, 04:56
Um... I DO know how to play them correctly (quite well in fact), which is why I'm telling you, respectfully, that you are very wrong. TK are very weak and you will struggle against most armies out there unless you are VERY, VERY good with them. But hey, mileage may vary.

watch vaul's battle reports and then come back to me