PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else get this feeling from the 5th edition rulebook?

Yarick Zan
24-04-2009, 17:34
I was paging through my copy of the 5th edition rulebook when I noticed something that hadn't really caught my attention before. In the back it has the quick reference sheets for most races and so on. I noticed however that there was only one page for the Inquisition (in it's various forms be it Sisters of Battle or Grey Knights) and it was labeled "Forces of the Imperium" or something like that.

Did anyone else get the feeling that GW is going to amalgamate all of the Inquisition and such things related to them into one book in the future?

marv335
24-04-2009, 17:36
Historically all that stuff has always come under "forces of the imperium" when put into the main rulebook.
there was even a mini-dex entry under that name in the 2nd ed box.

weissengel86
24-04-2009, 18:31
Its a popular rumor that GW is going to make an Inquisition Codex with both daemonhunters and witch hunters (possibly also xeno hunters) into a single codex when they actually do get updated. I wouldnt mind that at all. Especialy since if the codex is the size of the SM codex they could literally fit page for page the two existing codices and still have room left over for the xeno hunters. If the two new 5th ed codices are any indicator I think we are heading in the right direction.

Yarick Zan
24-04-2009, 18:34
I would like to see them combined into one book. Would probably make a lot of people quite happy. It would also make sense. Sort of like different marks and units available for chaos armies with this theme. Could be very interesting and fun potentially.

Xelloss
24-04-2009, 18:37
In 3rd edition "force of the imperium" was the left over box for inquisitors, priests, assassins.
Sister of Battle were a separated army.

sigur
24-04-2009, 19:30
...ya, since they've been since the end of 2nd edition.

Anyhoo, I think it was a bit of a mistake of GW to turn GKs into an own army but it was just that time I guess. They had recently abandoned the idea of Chapter Approved articles, Inquisitor was fresh on the shelves IIRC and so on. While I think that the idea of having "niche armies" of metal minis is a good one, GW should have kept Grey Knights (= Grey Knight terminators) as a 0-1 allied elites choice for imperial armies of all kinds and given Witch Hunters (whose fluff is much richer and the possibilities much greater, plus SoB had a full range of minis and established fluff already) a full codex.

I'm all for a codex of Imperial Agents or Forces of the Imperium, with a small GK contingent to add to your army, an admech list and a list for allied Squats. Just one or two units for each of those as well as suggestions for how to use existing lists as counts-as stuff to make a full army from those. And a full codex for Sisters of Battle/Witch Hunters.

Lateron, they release a similar minidex with more alien units to ally with Eldar and Tau. Ogryns [being able to ally with Orks too], again Squats, possibly more Kroot units [as some people like them] and Exodites come to mind.

Next thing is such a minidex for chaos space marines and daemons called Realm of Chaos, containing tips for making one of the "cult" legions people are always asking for (no idea what exactly they want though. NO different FOC for armies any more), chaos cultists and inhabitants of daemon worlds (beastmen, trolls, that kind of stuff).

Alternatively, there could be a minidex called "Enemy within" or somesuch, dscribing genestealer and chaos cults in different armies (IG, Tau, Orks).

They shouldn't overdo it with rules. Instead, it should be lotsa background and one or maybe two units, as I said. And they shouldn't be too strong of course. Oh well....

Snotteef
24-04-2009, 19:35
As many of us said in the other Inquisition codex thread: yes I do believe they intend to roll them up into one book, with HQ choices 'unlocking' certain troops choices.

I would like to see a Cultists book that lets you summon daemons (they can be the generic ones like in C:CSM). It bothers me that the most common form of Chaos is the ONLY form of Chaos without a codex. 99/100 times, Daemons shouldn't even be on the battlefield unless there are cultists or CSMs to summon them, but THEY have their own book.

druchii
24-04-2009, 19:45
As many of us said in the other Inquisition codex thread: yes I do believe they intend to roll them up into one book, with HQ choices 'unlocking' certain troops choices.

I would like to see a Cultists book that lets you summon daemons (they can be the generic ones like in C:CSM). It bothers me that the most common form of Chaos is the ONLY form of Chaos without a codex. 99/100 times, Daemons shouldn't even be on the battlefield unless there are cultists or CSMs to summon them, but THEY have their own book.

Well that's not how it is anymore.

Now demons can actually pick and chose when and where they want to manifest without the aid of summoning.

That's why the entire demon codex is so cool, the power of the warp is waxing so strongly that demons are becoming able to pinpoint exactly where they want to pop up. Not to menton that the Demons codex tells us that the chaos Gods are now much more interested in the mortal realm, and are thus commanding their demons (read: giving them more power) to manifest.

Only specific sorts of demons (like generic demons) need to be summoned, or the generic greater demons-need vessels. The others are either so strong, or the collection of energy so strong, or the will of their God so strong, that they can manifest at will.

That being said: I want Lost and the Damned back! I have like 2000pts of converted guard that can't be used as anything! (they might make decent Penal Legionnaires...). I honestly miss the days of my big mutants, little mutants, led by chaos marine champions. I'd love to be able to include my demons in the list too (wouldn't it be cool if the main HQ could buy a mark of chaos, and that would allow access to certain units out of the demons book?!). This would be a perfect time to introduce "traitor" guard with demons, blah blah.

I don't mean to derail the thread:

I think the Sisters deserve their own book. I'm quite sure you could roll the Inquisition and GKs into a single book (with arbites please!) while still maintaining a "big' enough book of fluff and models.

Spacker
24-04-2009, 19:49
Forces of the Imperium was used in the Wargear book in 4th edition too. However, Grey Knights were rolled into the Space Marines pages. I wouldn't infer anything by the 5th ed summary sheets, it's just a way of saving space instead of having separate summary tables for both Ordo codexes that would have had most of their entries the same and be a waste of space.

RichBlake
24-04-2009, 21:37
Anyhoo, I think it was a bit of a mistake of GW to turn GKs into an own army but it was just that time I guess. They had recently abandoned the idea of Chapter Approved articles, Inquisitor was fresh on the shelves IIRC and so on. While I think that the idea of having "niche armies" of metal minis is a good one, GW should have kept Grey Knights (= Grey Knight terminators) as a 0-1 allied elites choice for imperial armies of all kinds and given Witch Hunters (whose fluff is much richer and the possibilities much greater, plus SoB had a full range of minis and established fluff already) a full codex.

I disagree, as a Daemonhunters and a Witch Hunters player I think DH and it's background is great, the idea of the Puritan Inquisitors who go around hunting daemons with all their holy might, the radicals who seek to capture and control daemons to use the enemy's weapon against them and those in the middle who know by being so close to "radical" ideas they forfeit their soul, but will gladly do so to save the Imperium from the Daemonic.

Witch Hunters don't have as much variety imo, they hunt heretics, traitors and psykers. The actual Inquisitors have lots of fluff but none of it fits in 40K without getting samey. Militant Daemon hunting insquisitors are much cooler then the Hereticus nut jobs imo.

Nah they wont do that, it will just be options.

At the moment you can already take one of the codexes plus 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops and 1 Fast Attack from each codex, and until you get to like 2-3K games the question of limitations really doesn't arise as whichever you need more slots from you use that as the "main" and the other one as the "allied".

Example:

I have an Inquisition army of:

1 Grey Knight Grand Master + 5 Terminators
1 Cannoness + 5 Celestians + Immolator

1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor W/ Incinerator & Hammerhand
1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor W/ Incinerator & Hammerhand

9 Stormtroopers with 2 Meltaguns + Rhino
9 Stormtroopers with 2 Meltaguns + Rhino
10 Sisters w/ Heavy Flamer & Meltagun + Rhino
10 Sisters w/ Heavy Flamer & Meltagun + Rhino
8 Grey Knights W/ 2 Incinerators

1 Grey Knight Land Raider

That list is "Daemonhunters with Withchunter Allies" because I needed two Ordo Malleus Inquisitors and the Grey Knight Land Raider is better then the Witchunters one but I'm not even using all my "spaces" for Witch Hunters. If I traded in the Land Raider and the Inquisitors I could invest those points in some Seraphim possibly make the Grey Knight squad smaller and put them in an Immolator and the list would be roughly the same. Or I could switch to WH with DH allies to trade in the DH Stormtroopers for Sisters of Battle and keep the Grey Knights etc.

I think if they do merge the codexes it will just be "Take any of these" with the only restrictions I could see being on Inquisitors being needed for Assassins etc.

LonelyPath
24-04-2009, 22:45
In RT such things were listed under Forces of the Imperium or the equivalent title at that time, it was greater defined in 2E with the mini-dex that came with the boxed (kirby) game.

I am hoping they combine the entirety of the Inquisition into a single codex when ti coems out, even if we have to pay more for it (for its huge page number) it'll still be cheaper than purchasing 3 different books.

As for GK being 0 - 1 choices, not likely. GK were one of the earliest formalised army lists printed (seen in Realm of Chaos:Slaves to Darkness) and they should remain able to form a force of their own right. I doubt GW will make them 0-1 choices now given that there are a good many armies out there and I doubt people would want to be forced to set aside most of their GK collection to field a single squad.