PDA

View Full Version : Best Carry Case for horde armies?

sephiroth87
24-04-2009, 18:53
I was thinking about finally getting a carrying case for my beloved orcs and goblins instead of their long-used but inefficient tupperware container. It's a high model count army, consisting of a lot of infantry and chariots, along with 2 giants and a wyvern. What would you recommend for a player wanting one carrying case for a fantasy type horde army?

Thanks!

sephiroth87

Emeraldw
24-04-2009, 19:08
I personally use hobby cases and line it with foam but I have smaller elven armies.

Bell of Lost souls recently showed off a new carrying case from Battlefoam.com. They seem about the same price as GW carrying cases. Why not start there?

Braad
24-04-2009, 19:20
I got an Armytransport case. It good, I think, and I play O&G too. I have to say, when I make an army with really many models, it doesn't fit, but most up to 2000 do. But more important, unlike with the GW case, after you load up models in trays and put them in, then you don't toss the whole thing onto its side... Instead, the trays go in straight, which keeps your models nice and safe.

Also, they have quite some cases, and I think you can get bigger ones then I did, or maybe a second small one for a few spare models.

The Red Scourge
24-04-2009, 22:17
I can only recommend kaiserrushforth.

I've got one for my WE, one for my VC and regrettably I've got a GW case for my WoC :)

Lugribossk
25-04-2009, 00:37
Something that will let you store regiments standing up with magnetized bases/movement trays is a must. Not having to unpack and place every model individually saves a ton of time!
Personally I have an Army Transport and think it's great, but the other similar foam carrying cases look good too.

O&G'sRule
25-04-2009, 00:43
fIGURESINCOMFORT.CO.UK

RevEv
25-04-2009, 00:49
This thread should help

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188770&highlight=carry+cases

Next time use the search function!

sephiroth87
25-04-2009, 04:36
I did use the search function, thank you. :p

I was looking for something that was specifically designed for a fantasy horde army in mind. I have several cases by different companies, and I've never found one that I liked well enough to put my horde fantasy armies in (I have 3 HUGE horde armies).

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I appreciate it.

Erie Ed
25-04-2009, 04:54
i did use the search function, thank you. :p

oh snap ;)

Avaron
25-04-2009, 04:56
I use a rather large tackle box like you would use for fishing rather cheap and with all the removable peices I can change the side of the slots easily, not very nice on the models like the foam trays but cheaper and you can get one anywhere.

Rupposed
25-04-2009, 05:21
Sabol Designs (http://www.saboldesigns.net/home.html) is the only cases I use. All my armies get foam trays, and I just switch in what I want to play. Others have re-used the same foam with just a quick pluck-n-glue with a hot glue gun to re-customize the trays.

Todosi
25-04-2009, 05:25
www.battlefoam.com

JLBeady
25-04-2009, 05:30
After Battlefoam went up on their price I decided to go cheap and spend $15 US on a pistol case that came with 2 pieces of fitted egg crate foam and 1 piece of flat foam that could be cut if needed. I currently have about 70 marines in it including an AoBR captain and a squad of terminators with room to spare. I know it's not WFB, but 40K minis always seem to take up more space. You can get a rifle case for about $30. It still leaves needing a solution for war machines (or in my case large vehicles), but it is now a lot more manageable for much less money than the product from GW, Sabol, or Battlefoam.

mr.kislev
25-04-2009, 07:01
hmmm walking downtown with a pistol case in 1 hand and a rifle case in the other? (in aust you would be arrested)

BattleofLund
25-04-2009, 08:36
Something that will let you store regiments standing up with magnetized bases/movement trays is a must. Not having to unpack and place every model individually saves a ton of time!

Seconded. Magnetising equals time saved, and is especially good for a horde.

mrtn
25-04-2009, 11:25
Kaiser Rushforth (http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/index.html) make customizable cases.

Duke Georgal
25-04-2009, 13:41
I have an Orc hoard army, and the best solution is also the cheapest!

How often does that happen?

Anyway, what I did:

I got a large cardboard box from the Shipping & Recieving department where I work. You can get a suitable box from U-Haul or any moving company. Mine is 18 inches square (appx. 1/2 meter for you metric guys).

I went to a fabric/craft store and had several layers of one inch batting material cut in 18 inch squares to fit in the box. I also had lots of 18 inch squares of fabric from the clearance section cut.

Batting material is kind of like foam, but it compresses much easier and puts very little pressure on the models.

I stack the models in the box between layers of batting material and fabric. No cut outs for the models are required, just pack it all in.

Layers:

repeat on up
batting
fabric
models
fabric
batting
fabric
models
fabric
batting
fabric
models
fabric
batting
box bottom

The whole cost was less than twenty dollars, and I have a box than can haul several hundred models in complete safety.

sephiroth87
25-04-2009, 16:54
That's a good idea. Is the batting like quilting batting? I looked on the internet and that's what I saw. Is it the same thing? Batting from what I saw was a cottony type stuff that came in rolls.

catbarf
25-04-2009, 20:10
I got a steel toolbox and glued magnets to the bottoms of my models. I can put every single model side by side in the case, and none of them will move around or get scratched. I can even stick models to the interior sides. My case is 20" by 11" by 10" with four compartments, and I can carry about 5,000pts worth of stuff.

Duke Georgal
26-04-2009, 14:39
That's a good idea. Is the batting like quilting batting? I looked on the internet and that's what I saw. Is it the same thing? Batting from what I saw was a cottony type stuff that came in rolls.

Yes, that is exactly what it is.

This is a great material, it compresses easily enough not to damage models, but holds them well enough to protect them.

It is very "cottony", which it why you need to place fabric between it and your models. Otherwise, you will spend ten minutes everytime you unpack picking cotton strings off of your weapon tips.

sephiroth87
26-04-2009, 15:11
I see. Thanks.

Stuffburger
26-04-2009, 23:09
If you are blessed with living by the wonder of cheap tools that is harbor freight tool co. they have a ~$15 tool case thing with removable foam sqaures to create dividers in any size you need. Two should hold even the biggest of horde armies.

O&G'sRule
26-04-2009, 23:39
If you are blessed with living by the wonder of cheap tools that is harbor freight tool co. they have a ~$15 tool case thing with removable foam sqaures to create dividers in any size you need. Two should hold even the biggest of horde armies.

They look good for carrying tanks, and large plastics, but do they work for troops?

theHandofGork
27-04-2009, 01:58
Glue magnets on the bottom of your basses, buy a cheap metal tool case, mix well.

You can place your models closer together than foam, even on the walls and lid.

Cypher, the Emperor
27-04-2009, 03:54
I would buy a used steamer truck and then install foam trays