PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with the pricing for the new empire stuff?

pkain762
25-04-2009, 04:18
has anyone looked at the advance order for the new empire stuff?

the new plastic steam tank is about 57 bucks, 10 greatswords for 42 bucks?!?

i thought the new plastic would really bring the prices down on these two units, but apparently not.....

any thoughts comments? anything someone please explain this to me.... why is it so expensive when 5 chaos knights cost 22 bucks

kain

strewart
25-04-2009, 04:26
There is no explanation for the crazy price, except a price rise is happening across the board in june so expect to see everything going up. This will also get locked, lok around there are several threads discussing this price already. In the rumours forum the thread empire 100% plastic discussed it the most.

Erie Ed
25-04-2009, 04:53
just another way for GW to gouge the customers

Staurikosaurus
25-04-2009, 05:28
I won't be replacing my metal greatswords with the plastic ones. The price they're asking is insane. Normally I'm a sucker for replacing my older models with newer sculpts but I'm not paying nearly $100 Cdn for another unit of plastic greatswords.

Luthor
25-04-2009, 05:54
Actually the new Greatswords are a reasonable price, with the cost of production, packaging, and shipping these are a steal. There is rapid inflation so we have to increase the prices to match, and those rumors that materials are down is obviously false. I myself will be buying 3 boxes of Greatswords, for a 25 man units, and 2 Stanks. I just can't wait till the rest of the prices go up, and I can continue to throw money at a company that doesn't respect my hard earned money!

/Sarcasm

Putty
25-04-2009, 06:41
easy answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s

Classius
25-04-2009, 06:45
its quite crazy i agree.... i will be pretty finished with buying if thats the price increase they are looking at... i heard a price increase but thats a slaughter.

Volrath
25-04-2009, 06:50
I thought GW stated their price point for 10 model plastic boxes was going to be 20-25 $ similar to the VC and chaos type boxes. 10 Grave guard for $25, a special choice and actually good in game....10 Greatswords of a comparable value for $42, that makes absolutely NO sense. I thought it was a typo when i first saw it....

Rioghan Murchadha
25-04-2009, 07:47
It's completely ****** insane is what it is. Considering that the 10 man metal boxes were $45 cdn, and the plastic box is $49.50.

@Staurikosaurus, it'll be over $100 cdn... Don't forget all the lovely taxes you get to add to the $99 base price for 2 boxes. ;)

sulla
25-04-2009, 10:47
anything someone please explain this to me.... why is it so expensive when 5 chaos knights cost 22 bucks

kain

Two possibilities.

1) This is just a mistake on the GW website like when Varghulfs were listed as 9999 or something similar, or

2)GW are having a larf and the new empire plastics are an intelligence test. (Anyone who buys them fails.) :p

ICEMANQ
25-04-2009, 11:08
I'm just hoping it's a typo.

How the hell are they going to weather the storm of abuse they'll get instore? I can only imagine managers trying to push this :p

monkeymatt
25-04-2009, 11:10
I don't think it is an outrageous price the Greatswords are 10 in a box for 24.45 and youy look at most other special units are like 15 for 5...

Commodus Leitdorf
25-04-2009, 11:12
I normally don't moan about prices but....

I really hope its a mistake. I was waiting for the plastic stank becuse I thought it was going to be cheaper then the metal one...but if these prices are true forget that!

Please be a mistake....please

Shamfrit
25-04-2009, 11:18
Remember these are advance order prices, even so, I've seen 19.55 pounds for the Greatswords, and that's on a 25% off discount site.

Oh well, long live Games Workshop :wtf:

Billpete002
25-04-2009, 11:21
Actually the new Greatswords are a reasonable price, with the cost of production, packaging, and shipping these are a steal. There is rapid inflation so we have to increase the prices to match, and those rumors that materials are down is obviously false. I myself will be buying 3 boxes of Greatswords, for a 25 man units, and 2 Stanks. I just can't wait till the rest of the prices go up, and I can continue to throw money at a company that doesn't respect my hard earned money!

/Sarcasm

What's funny about you're sarcasm Luthor is they can't even point to inflation since Britain, USA, and most of the EU/America's are going through deflation (asset prices and lack of consumer confidence). - Now you can make the argument that prices are sticky (resistant to changes) - but seriously a price RISE in a deflationary period?.. Not much they can BS their way out of - but not like the customers (myself and perhaps you included) haven't done a damn thing to hold GW accountable i.e. not buying.

If the demand is still in existence for these luxury 'toys' to make price rises available tools to GW then I think we as customers are sending the wrong message - flooding them with angry email, letters, or such doesn't work, but your wallet will - I have been using historical miniatures for 40k (much cheaper) and until they raise their prices in LOTR miniatures I'll continue to buy them - once they do I've been "priced out of the market" - and I will just use other miniatures.

It all boils down to: buy or don't buy and frankly with prices like those for the Empire units and the new price hike 40k/WFB remains on my don't buy list.