PDA

View Full Version : A Tech-priest general?

Lord Wasa
25-04-2009, 15:41
Hi everyone

I am currently building up a Guard army around the theme "Hi-tech mechanized blitz". I'm toying with the idea of having them led or "advised" by a tech-priest who is on a quest of recapturing a lost forge-world or "legendary" library of the mechanicum. The guardsmen themselves will not be skitarii or mechanical fanatics, just a guard regiment requisitioned or something by this "tech-priest general".

I was planning on representing him with an Inquisitor Lord on the field, but for friendly games I want a custom made character. In order for me to do so, I will need some info though.

1. What rank would such a character have? I'm thinking some form of Enginseer or possibly Artisan. Magos could also work, but are they a bit high up on the food-chain to be used as militairy leaders?
2. Would he be closer (rulewise) to an Enginseer or a Master of the Forge? Or neither?
3. I came upon the character "Magos-explorator Delphan Gruss" on lexicanum, would it be a good idea to use him, or would it be a better idea to make my character an "officer" under him?
4. Am I courrect in assuming that this character would logically be accompanied by a retinue?
5. Do you think this idea could work, and do you have any ideas on rules for him?
6. He needs a name...

Thanks in advance

Aliarzathanil
25-04-2009, 15:56
I like the idea, but I would present him as an "advisor" to the guard commander. I don't think the tech priest would want an inquisitor stickin' his nose in mars business.

Lord Wasa
25-04-2009, 16:08
thanks for yout input, bit I'm not sure i get what you mean about the inquisitor part. I would use the Inquisitor Lord's rules to represent the tech-priest, he would't have any psychic powers and he'd be littered with digital weapons, bionics and the like.

And what advisor do you think would be fitting? the master of ordnance's ability could represent a conversion beamer or something, but the other two advisors' abilities could also be explained with something techy.

totgeboren
25-04-2009, 16:47
I would use a normal guard HQ (probably the standard boss squad with carapace and some nifty guns) as the strategic command of the force, and for the Techprist boss I would use the rules for an allied Inquisitor lord.

That way can give him lots of nice stuff, and he can have a retinue of different servitors, techpriests and other odd AdMec personel.

Also, its all legal, so you wont need any houserules. :)

Aliarzathanil
25-04-2009, 17:00
Oh, I see. The Inq lord for the stand in priest works well.

Lord Wasa
25-04-2009, 17:32
Totgeboren - you have read my mind. That way is the simplest and as you say, it is 100% legal ('least until the ordos get new codecies :rolleyes: )

However, I'm not 100% satisfied with this, I like to come up with fluff and I really like to make my own special characters, but when it comes to the mechanicum, my knowleges are as great as those of Lexicanum, and therefore I need help here.

ATM, my thinking goes like this:

The guy is a henchman or officer who obeys under the command under Magos-explorator Delphan Gruss (info on him is on lexicanum). The guy would have the rank of High-Enginseer and have the option to have a retinue of servitors (as per a normal enginseer). He'd have the stats of a normal enginseer, perhaps an extra wound or something and an additional Servo-arm. He'd have some additional wargear (i'd like to include bionics, like those in deamon/witch hunter codecies and the soon-to-be old guard one) and some nifty special rules (not too keen on bolster defences) but I'm not sure what they'd be.

opinions on this? answers to the questions in the first post?

Lothlanathorian
25-04-2009, 22:47
Skiitari. The AdMech has it's own army, why not make your Guard them?

SnakeWind
25-04-2009, 23:19

Right. Straken will make a fabulous Techpriest, his rules and characteristics like bionics are very fitting. You don't need inquisition either, can make the army right out of the IG codex.

MarshallSam
26-04-2009, 02:16
I don't think people are understanding that you are going to make a guard army with an allied Inquisitor Lord (counts as your SC Tech-Priest). I like it. Totally legal. Any of the advisor special rules could be used to count as something techy. Off the top of my head the Master of Ordance calls in a strike from a Titan on another part of the battle field, Astropath is a beacon that lets reserve units lock onto, Imperial Navy Officer is a disruption field that blocks the enemies communications preventing his reserves from coming on. Using either WH or DH will let you create a unique character with some rather nice blingbling, just remember to rename it accordingly ("that's not a daemon hammer, its an Aether Disruptor"). As for a name I suggest checking out this character generator for Dark Heresy

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dhroller.html

It has all the names from the Dark Heresy book in it.

Good Luck

Gensuke626
26-04-2009, 02:28
First off, I'd say that it might be a good idea to stay away from Delphan Gruss. He's got more background to him than that paltry entry on Lexicanum has to offer. Specifically, if you're a fluff nut, His main problem is that he's so obsessed with his mission that he often clashes with the Inquisition, as I recall he's had more than a few fights with Inquisitor Eisenhorn. I played my fair share of Inquisitor and I could never shake the feeling that Gruss was a villain.

I'd suggest inventing your own Tech Priest so that you can avoid people jumping to conclusions and having misconceptions about your army. Explorator-Magos is exactly the rank you want him to be. Explorators are part Techpriest, part Rogue Trader, and part Inquisitor. They command their own fleets and often undertake centuries long quests for specific pieces of technology. They're afforded a level of autonomy second only to the Fabricator General himself.

Lord Wasa
26-04-2009, 17:22

I don't want to use skitarii because A. I don't like the AdMech colour scheme B. While I enjoy converting, I wouldn't like to make wires and extra armor on every guardsman, and C. I have existing stuff on my army which I am very fond of ;)

Right. Straken will make a fabulous Techpriest, his rules and characteristics like bionics are very fitting. You don't need inquisition either, can make the army right out of the IG codex.

Never even thought of him, I'll probably use his rules in lower point games and the Inquisitor Lord's rules in higher ones. Thanks for that one :)

I don't think people are understanding that you are going to make a guard army with an allied Inquisitor Lord (counts as your SC Tech-Priest). I like it. Totally legal.
(...)
As for a name I suggest checking out this character generator for Dark Heresy

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dhroller.html

It has all the names from the Dark Heresy book in it.

Good Luck

You have understood my intentions 100% correctly and all those tips were most welcome, and oh, thanks for the link, he is now named Kaarl Drustos :D

First off, I'd say that it might be a good idea to stay away from Delphan Gruss. He's got more background to him than that paltry entry on Lexicanum has to offer. Specifically, if you're a fluff nut, His main problem is that he's so obsessed with his mission that he often clashes with the Inquisition, as I recall he's had more than a few fights with Inquisitor Eisenhorn. I played my fair share of Inquisitor and I could never shake the feeling that Gruss was a villain.

I figured as much, thanks for confirming it.

I'd suggest inventing your own Tech Priest so that you can avoid people jumping to conclusions and having misconceptions about your army. Explorator-Magos is exactly the rank you want him to be. Explorators are part Techpriest, part Rogue Trader, and part Inquisitor. They command their own fleets and often undertake centuries long quests for specific pieces of technology. They're afforded a level of autonomy second only to the Fabricator General himself.

I like this, it would give me relatively high freedom in customizing Drustos and give me some whole new options to consider. I feel like it's christmas :chrome:

Thank you all very much, you have been very helpful

Zahr Dalsk
26-04-2009, 17:51
I'd suggest you make them Skitarii and model them after these guys (who I've posted before, but they just look so wonderful I have to post them again. Source is /tg/.)

Yarick Zan
26-04-2009, 17:54
Now I was reading some people decrying the use of an allied inquisitor in the guys army. I need to point out that the Mechanicus has it's own version of the inquisition. They are called the Lords Dragon. You could easily have him be modeled after one of them.

Source on this is one of the Dark Heresy books, I think (sort of ironic) the Inquisitor's Handbook.

MarshallSam
26-04-2009, 19:34
Now I was reading some people decrying the use of an allied inquisitor in the guys army. I need to point out that the Mechanicus has it's own version of the inquisition. They are called the Lords Dragon. You could easily have him be modeled after one of them.

Source on this is one of the Dark Heresy books, I think (sort of ironic) the Inquisitor's Handbook.

I think most people are saying allied Inq for rules purposes