PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Advice?

hendybadger
25-04-2009, 20:02
After building a huge tyranid force i am now looking at Eldar for my second army.
The things that attracted me to them are Wraiths (lord + guard), Spiders, Hawks and Harlequins.
Dont really like vehicles but MCs are a must!!!
SO. The start of my force is going to be roughly
Farseer + Warlocks
2 x 10 Wraithguard troops + Warlocks
3 x Wraithlords
10 x Harlequins

Any thoughts , comments and/or advice?

Orion the Lost
25-04-2009, 20:15
That sounds pretty gross.

Orion the Lost
25-04-2009, 20:16
In a good way, I mean. (sorry for the staggered post.)

hendybadger
25-04-2009, 20:18
Care to explain?
I have never played with or against eldar before.

Orodred642
25-04-2009, 20:31
From my limited expertise I can say that from a game effectiveness point of view you're gonna want less Wraithguard, more Guardians and Dire Avengers and probably less Harlequins until you have more experience playing with them. I hear Harle's are pretty tough to play with and Wraithguard.

But if you like the models it's really up to you what you buy :D

Montserrat
25-04-2009, 20:46
eldar is about "combos" you will need variety of choices if you want to win, 3 wraithlordS? prepare to be the "oficial cheese target" ...eg.

if you want to put in 10 wraithguard, its ok, nice choose, now you need the complement, Wguard are not good in CC or vs massed troops, then select a storm guardian squad or may be dire avengers one, or a litle scorpion squad...

you like the wLord, it ok, very cool, wlords are support or "complementary" units, yo need the core one...like a guadian defender squad W/ heavy weapon...etc

Pick objective -> pick core unit that fits the target -> pick complementary = rush enemy.

Pick power units -> pick objetive = Probably welcome to the Fail Craftworld.

SteelTitan
25-04-2009, 21:13
i was thinking about Eldar myself...how would only jetbikes do for troops?

hendybadger
25-04-2009, 21:27
I think this army is just going to start and end with models i like. There wont be any standard eldar units like guardians, walkers and general craft world troops.
Not that keen on picking units to deal with different challenges. Would rather find a way to confront the challenge with the units i have.
I dont want an easy all comers army. I want a fun to make, convert and model force that will be fun to play

susu.exp
25-04-2009, 21:46
To the OP: Very slow force for Eldar. The 10 WG units are tough a nails, but expensive. I donīt know if taking 2 of them is a good idea. In fact pretty much everything in that list is slow and better at killing Elite armies than hordes.
With only 2 scoring units, youīll have a very hard time in 2/3 of the missions and the lack of vehicles means that all those vehicle killer weapons will be aimed at your wraithlords. The army would struggle against most opponents as it stands. I would - for now - start with only one unit of WG and probably only one WL as well. And drop one HQ. Then as most other responses have advised already, get some other troops in, DAs, Guardians (possibly stom guardians with flamers), Jetbikes and Scouts all would add something to the force (Guardians and DA can gun down hordes, Jetbikes and scouts allow you to grab objectives and have units that wonīt have to walk over the whole table).
You may even wat to consider using support platforms instead of a WL. Rarely used, because most Eldar players go mechanized, but if your WG are securing a home objective, a battery of D-cannons (after all the "big" versions of the Warithguards own gun) can be devastating, while the shaddow weaver or the vibro cannon can make minced meat of hordes. There can be a lot of Ork or Nid units in 36" and D6 S6 hits on each of them can really add some casualties.

Edit: Just saw that last post. In that case, Iīd still get a unit of storm guardians in. A rarely used unit in my experience and fun to play. And I would put in those Hawks, you mentioned you liked, but didnīt put into the list. Not a unit known for being especially powerful, but itīd certainly spice up your playstyle.

@ST: All Jetbikes can work, but they donīt pack that much of a punch and cost quite a bit. Iīd still add another troop option (especially since the Jetbikes capabilities are completely wasted when you need to guard an objective in your own deployment zone).

carldooley
25-04-2009, 21:56
agreed with the above people. a couple suggestions:
1. Take only one Farseer, drop the warlocks and footslog with the wraithguard.
2. Sounds like Iyanden, which means that you could use Yriel as well
3. Get a unit of Shining Spears - fragile, but useful for counter-charges.
4. Only take a single wraithlord - take a double of fire prisms as well - they are more multi-use than WLs.

or, keep it the way that you want to do it, and look me up for a game sometime. (My strategy for eldar is something similar.)

*edit* just read susu.exp's post - if you go heavy wraiths, definitely include a unit or two of swooping hawks - it keeps your opponent's army jumping at shadows and has some excellent horde removal (grenade packs).

[SD] Bob Plisskin
26-04-2009, 01:40
i was thinking about Eldar myself...how would only jetbikes do for troops?

majority jetbikes is decent enough imo but all jetbikes is pushing it a bit. check out the 2 lists in my sig for jetbike heavy lists, Serpent's embrace list is nothing but jetbikes but it is not a friendly list as such.

The problem is that for the points 10 DA in a WS is a extremely cost effective, durable and flexible option, something that most units in the eldar codex lack all three of.

check out the eldar tactica and bible I'd also reccommend placing these queries in the tactica forum for some advice from the experts that hang around in there - http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2840168#post2840168

Thud
26-04-2009, 03:15
Welcome to the Iyanden fold, Hendybadger.

I suggest reading through this (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193696) thread for some advice as well as checking out the Eldar Tactica thread.

I run a 1,500 points army pretty similar to what you described in the first post, with two scoring WG squads, three Wraithlords, an Avatar, a Farseer and three Jetbikes, and it's doing pretty well. :)

Harfaern
26-04-2009, 13:01
I would also recommend you to go to the "v5.0 Eldar Tactica" Thread in the "40k Tactics" Forum. Look for any message from the member "Irisado", in his signature there is a link to something called "Eldar Guide"; it's a good summary to have a nice overview of the Eldar.