PDA

View Full Version : Skaven back in the day

Nicha11
26-04-2009, 02:13
Thses days the armies to beat are DE,DOC and VC.

But the current Skaven armybook is still quite powerful, and some of the lists that can be made are insane.

So long ago before any of these new top tier armies came out, were skaven the ones to beat?
And if so were they ever as powerful as demons are now?

Erie Ed
26-04-2009, 06:38
skaven back in the day were pretty crazy more particularly i remember playing against them in 5th Ed. with my DE...I play them now and in my opinion they are weak. There are many changes that they need to make, also one thing that hasn't changed is that they are still the most expensive army to play...I've spent over $600 for about 3k points.

Ocid
26-04-2009, 06:46
skaven back in the day were pretty crazy more particularly i remember playing against them in 5th Ed. with my DE...I play them now and in my opinion they are weak. There are many changes that they need to make, also one thing that hasn't changed is that they are still the most expensive army to play...I've spent over $600 for about 3k points.

And its not going to get any better with the new price rises.

Going by whats happening now (models being boxed into units of 10 and charged for 15) the new slaves that are coming out assuming they follow the same way will be 15 for 20pts. TWENTY :cries:

ICLRK625
26-04-2009, 06:50
I remember the first Shooty Skaven lists in 6th edition, those were pretty nasty.

Cypher, the Emperor
26-04-2009, 09:19
Skaven and Bretonnians used to be the ones to beat

Crube
26-04-2009, 09:31
Certainly the lists could be used for some serious :cheese: lists (kind of apprppriate for Skaven though...)

The Skaven SAD and Bret RAF were all rather powerful to start with, but as with any army, players soon learned tricks to help counter them.

Personally, I still have problems with the same armies now as I did then. Dwarves. and Skaven.

I'm hoping that the new Skaven book keeps them powerful, but balances them a bit more... restricting certain builds would be good too. But I suppose that's too much to ask ;)

Urgat
26-04-2009, 10:00

Well that's the thng when horde armies, they cost a lot. My gob army cost me a fair deal too, but now I'm buying on ebay, I'm saving a lot.

Kevlar
29-04-2009, 05:55
Skaven were great back in the hero hammer days. Deathmaster Snickt was like the predator. He could run all over the place and people couldn't shoot him or charge him and he could assassinate just about anything in one turn of combat.

The Vermin lord was just about on par with a bloodthirster combat wise, but was also a level 4 wizard and could skitterleap itself all over the table.

Warpfire throwers were harder to shoot at.

Plague Censer Bearers were just about unbreakable with the old hatred rules.

Skaven characters could ride monsters. I had a giant scorpoin and a chimera.

They still had all the fun stuff like the screaming bell, doomwheel, jezzails, and assassins, but they actually had units that could stand up in combat and characters that were on par with the toughest things in the game. I really miss my old skaven. The new Skaven are one trick ponies and that one trick the SAD backfires as much as it works and can't deal with terror causing opponents.

Kill-Freedom
29-04-2009, 07:57
SAD list are pretty dam powerful when they work, but when the backfire its extremely *********** funny :D

Urgat
29-04-2009, 08:01
They still had all the fun stuff like the screaming bell, doomwheel, jezzails, and assassins,

They didn't have ratlings :)
And everybody could ride monsters, my goblin rode around on an emperor dragon once :p (don't think skaven had access to dragons iirc?)

Ultimate Life Form
29-04-2009, 08:55
They didn't have ratlings :)
And everybody could ride monsters, my goblin rode around on an emperor dragon once :p (don't think skaven had access to dragons iirc?)

Any dragon willing to take commands from a goblin should be euthanized as an act of mercy.

yabbadabba
29-04-2009, 09:01
WD ran a beardy army list comp once - 4th Ed possibly? - anyway I think the winner was a goblin "army" with allied skaven warlocks on basilisks. Another one had skaven warlocks on harpies, because harpies were in the monster section and warlocks could ride any monster.
Madness - fun but sheer madness

Urgat
29-04-2009, 09:35
Any dragon willing to take commands from a goblin should be euthanized as an act of mercy.

Who said it was willing? I say it was headbuted (repeatedly) into doing it :p

Edit
29-04-2009, 15:06
Vermin lord leading a unit of 11 deathfrenzied rat ogres was fun:) 2x3d6 doomwheel movement if you started on a hill was awesome for first turn chariot bash. templates for PWG, 13 spells in our list...ah the days of wacky stuff

Feefait
29-04-2009, 15:32
somethigns were better, some worse but skaven were always up there in power. the thing is they could do most anything. skirmishers, monsters, assassins, shooting, magic, big units... the key for skaven has always been there magic is nasty, and the bonus to leadership. i myself think they were better back in say 5th. the magic was just deadly, add that with vermin lords (level 4 mages) and doomwheels and they could take out anything big as well. i think some things have lost some power, plague monks and censer bearers just don't seem what they were. but it could be that with all the other amries catching up with specials and abilities they now seem over expensive. i expect that to change with the new book.

there was a time when instead of weapon teams your WFT were in skirmished packs. imagine 3 (or 5) as i ran wft's hitting a unit... and jezzails used to do d3 wounds. that was sick, by by single characters,monsters and mounts!

Malorian
29-04-2009, 15:41
Wow, reading this stuff I really hope they bring some of it back.

It doesn't have to all be made better, but just having the option to get some of those neat things would be nice (plus the idea of the goblin on a dragon is just epic (pic?)).

selone
29-04-2009, 16:05
Skaven were an absolute nightmare in 4/5th. PCB were -2 to hit with shooting, had frenzy and hatred (which were much better back then, no auto charges and hatred was stubborn at ld10) and you took T tests or died instantly- they really were outrageous. Their magic was good and the verminlord was one of the best value for money greater demons there was, mind I didn't like the chaos demons then. The 5th ed skaven had a lot more character as well, but they were very good on the table with very powerful SC's.

I mean I had to use brett's to beat them :D With their old school lance formation if you remember it- had a unit of 10 knights with full rank bonus, 7 guys fighting, any missile troops shooting at them could only shoot at them with half their eligible models and warmachines needed a 4+ to target them.

W0lf
29-04-2009, 16:30
Skaven SAD in 6th edition was literaly 3x harder then it is now.. and thats without the stupidly broken new 7th books.

Ratling guns you couldn't target, Jezzails at back immune from being shot and warlocks not having to be in units... ouch, bad times.