PDA

View Full Version : Land Raiders and Dozer Blades?

pootleberry
26-04-2009, 12:53
Why doesn't the Land Raider have an option of being equipped with a dozer blade? Last night I immobilised my poor little tin can and it struck me as rather odd that arguably one of the most assault orientated vehicles in the game (if not the most) is not equipped with this vital piece of difficult terrain kit? In the fluff the Land Raider is always smashing its way through walls and stuff, but if I were actually driving the damn thing I'd have to think twice before driving over that ornament for fear of getting stuck :eek:

Unless of course I've totally missed something...

Fire Harte
26-04-2009, 12:54
Stick a dozer blade on the front and it'll mess with your frontal asault ramp.

Vote Kantor
26-04-2009, 12:57
Captain: CHARRRGGGGEEEEEE
Terminators: FOR THE EMPERO, THE EMPERO, TH, okay, why is the door still closed.
Captain: OUT THE SIDE DOORS
Terminators: C...H...A, oh *****, im stuck, could somebody give me a push. NO NOT THE LIGHTNING CLAW!!

EDIT: yeah, i know its crap, sorry

Sleazy
26-04-2009, 12:59
Captain: CHARRRGGGGEEEEEE
Terminators: FOR THE EMPERO, THE EMPERO, TH, okay, why is the door still closed.
Captain: OUT THE SIDE DOORS
Terminators: C...H...A, oh *****, im stuck, could somebody give me a push. NO NOT THE LIGHTNING CLAW!!

EDIT: yeah, i know its crap, sorry

or...

Captain: OUT THE SIDE DOORS...

<sound of hurricane bolters/dual Lascannon etc firing>

Captain: oh bother

Cool_Mint
26-04-2009, 13:00
The Mk1 has a dozer blade..
Interestingly (to me anyway) I also found this make-your-own model while looking for a Mk1 LR photo:
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/search/label/custodes

Laser guided fanatic
26-04-2009, 13:03
I can just imagine the adeptus healthus and safteyus inspecting the Land Raider force with the dozer blades and then grounding them all.

"But Sir, we kind of need them the nids are 10 metres away."

SimonL
26-04-2009, 13:04
Google Image-fu brings us... although a moot point with the Ares-pattern as it can't carry troops anyways.

Caprosmaster
26-04-2009, 13:05
i suppose the whole aesthetics of it would be ruined, the relative sleekness doesnt really blend too well with a bunch of spikes on the front does it now?

Caprosmaster

pootleberry
26-04-2009, 13:07
I know I know I know the actual dozer blade gets in the way of the assault ramp :-) but surely an AV14 vehicle designed for bashing through things should have that reflected in the rules?

It's all very strange...

Just out of interest, isn't there a new variant LR coming in the new Planetstrike expansion that features a demolisher cannon and big dozer blade type thingy?

Vote Kantor
26-04-2009, 13:08
or...

Captain: OUT THE SIDE DOORS...

<sound of hurricane bolters/dual Lascannon etc firing>

Captain: oh bother

Actually, there are two sets of side doors on each side, one at the front, and another closer to the middle. HA

DarthFreder
26-04-2009, 13:12
My approach: Barrier free...
http://www.freder.de/shared/nps/miniatures/mentor/ML_Crusader7.jpg

Deus
26-04-2009, 14:04

*Quietly tucks that image away to steal it for later*

Very nice. Thats exactly how I pictured a LR with a dozer blade

Templar Ben
26-04-2009, 14:21

Since it is only connected at one point each wouldn't that snap off the time it hits something at an angle?

Crovax20
26-04-2009, 16:35
Wouldn't a genius just make the dozer blade to move upwards so that after bashing through, he lifts the dozer blade and the assault ramp opens?

monkeymatt
26-04-2009, 16:42
Wouldn't a genius just make the dozer blade to move upwards so that after bashing through, he lifts the dozer blade and the assault ramp opens?

Give this man a medal!

KaldCB
26-04-2009, 18:40
I recall actuall seeing someone have converted a model with a doseblade attached to the top door off the front hatch, so that it opend with the hatch.

SimonL
26-04-2009, 20:20
See above pictures that I posted :D

carldooley
26-04-2009, 22:00
I'm skyballing here, but why not put the dozer blade on the rear of the tank? it has AV14 all around, and it can 'swing around' after making it's dangerous terrain tests.

SupremeCommanderNyuSan
26-04-2009, 22:25
I would design it a bit in Gorgon style, you know, that one from FW.
or make it like reinforced armour that attaches to the lower part of the ramp and the lower part of the chassis, like trackguards at the very front of the tracks. would also fit the AV14 picture.

Caprosmaster
27-04-2009, 00:45
Actually, there are two sets of side doors on each side, one at the front, and another closer to the middle. HA

umm no there isnt mr. VK :p one set of dooors is taken up by a weapon sponson, so HA to you too :p

Caprosmaster

mughi3
27-04-2009, 01:35
Stick a dozer blade on the front and it'll mess with your frontal asault ramp.
Not at all, i've seen some really nice conversions for DBs that lift up like a bulldozer leaving the ramp quite clear.

In game terms yes it is BS that they took the option away for fluff reasons, you can protect a 35 point rhino from immobilization with a DB but that 200+ point super tank...nah were not worried about breaking that thing....i mean whats the worst that can happen?
:confused::mad::p

Blitz001
27-04-2009, 05:14
Get a Techmarine and have him hold the Landraiders hand all the way across the board. :D

Hellebore
27-04-2009, 05:57
Meh, counts as says my REINFORCED TRACKS do the same thing.

Hellebore

DarthFreder
27-04-2009, 08:49
Since it is only connected at one point each wouldn't that snap off the time it hits something at an angle?

Ahhhh no! It's made of Adamantium!

:p

BLZBOB
27-04-2009, 11:16
I have a design knocking around for one that looks well enough and does get out of the way without raising leaving the assault ramp clear. I'll see if I can scratch one up next week.

Sleazy
27-04-2009, 12:37

I didnt mean they had no door to go through, rather that most LR I see have the sponsons behind the doors, so said marines are going to step out in front of the tanks main armaments.

ShaiAhlude
28-04-2009, 00:38
@DarthFreder:
Is there anything on the assault ramp front? Could'nt tell from the pic (Though it looks awesome, great job). I may just have to try removing the "pins" from a few old dozer blades I have, and glueing them at shallow angle on my ramp door.

Yarick Zan
28-04-2009, 01:20
Hmm. Has anyone here considered modeling a land raider with a dozer blade that moved up when the landraider got to assault position? Sort of lifting it above the roof of the landraider so it could still fire the heavy bolter?

mughi3
28-04-2009, 10:16
Ask and ye shall receive-
land raiders with dozer blade conversions-

Land raider-
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/mughi3/landraidermix2qh.jpg

Land raider crusader-
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/mughi3/img43c24acb5a570.jpg