PDA

View Full Version : Who here has read Lord of the Rings?

Awilla the Hun
26-04-2009, 16:40
I have, and am in the long, laborious process of tunnelling through my special edition (writing prize!) whilst at the same time reading many other books for pleasure and school.

FuzzyOrb
26-04-2009, 16:48
I've read it so often when i was younger, it isn't even funny:)

Condottiere
26-04-2009, 17:04
A number of times.

Vampiric16
26-04-2009, 17:40
Plenty enough times to know that there is no such thing as an Isengard troll :D

Nu Fenix
26-04-2009, 17:41
Not once.

Suprising to many, as I own two copies of the books.
The first time was a present when I was about 12, and the second was given to GW staff for Christmas in 2001 since we should all know the books and this way we would have no excuse.

My problem is, I'm rubbish at sitting down and enjoying a book. I like pictures far too much and haven't got the attention span for novels, yet like creative writing and designing things for roleplay.

Weird hey.

Spider-pope
26-04-2009, 17:46
Read them a couple of times, shortly before the release of the films. Although for entertainment purposes, i far prefer reading the Hobbit.

cairodude12
26-04-2009, 17:46
Ready it a couple of times. One of the greatest books I have ever read.

Phoenix Blaze
26-04-2009, 18:31
I've read them twice, once when I was younger, another time several years later to remind myself of some things. Honestly.....they're not that amazing as a read. The world Tolkien creates, and the story itself it awesome, but I can think of other books that I enjoyed reading a lot more.

huntroll
26-04-2009, 18:33
First read it when I was eleven, luckily before the release of the films. Not if the films are bad, but I like the book more.

Master Stark
26-04-2009, 19:08
Probably read them half a dozen times. Maybe more.

Calith
26-04-2009, 19:37
Read the hobbit when I was 9, lord of the rings between ten and eleven and have read them at least once a year since then (I'm now 24) It might sound strange but I am a quick reader and get through at least one book a week so I do tend to re-read books alot.

brightblade
26-04-2009, 22:42
My father read it to me when I was six. It took a year. I read it when I was eight and have read it many times since. I grew up where Tolkien did and went to the same school so that helped keep me interested Lol. :D

As a result of my knowledge of the books I only see the films as a visual aid! Damn good visual aid but I always find myself shouting at the screen when Haldir turns up at Helm's Deep, then dies. "He's not supposed to be there!" Best not get started on that though, ha ha. :p

I have three copies of LOTR around my home so I'm never more than 10 metres away from Elves at any one time. lol. :D

Edit; oh yeah, I have read all the others too! In fact The Silmarillion is my favourite. :)

Sirroelivan
26-04-2009, 23:06
Hmm, I've read Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales several times. (The Hobbit as well).

I liked the later parts of Unfinished Tales the most I think. (The Second Age and Third Age parts)

sirbone
26-04-2009, 23:18
Yes, twas a riot.

Dexter099
27-04-2009, 02:01
Yes, have read it all. LotR was the father of all fantasy, Dune was the father of Sci-Fi as we know it today.

C-Coen
27-04-2009, 09:16
LotR twice (complete, and of course some 40 times a single chapter), Sil once, Hobbit three times, Children of Hurin twice. Or something along those lines.

Chaplain of Chaos
27-04-2009, 09:32
Read them a few times, as well as the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales of Middle-Earth and the Hobbit

parus_ater
27-04-2009, 09:45
More than I can count. So much so, I've paid out for the illustrated Alan Lee edition as well as The Hobbit.

And yes, the Isengard Troll annoys me but not as much as Gothmog being a chewed up orc who seems to have suffered a stroke. He's a chuffing Nazgul for goodness sake!!!!!!

alexh
27-04-2009, 10:58
I've read the books quite a few times and thoroughly enjoy them

but not as much as Gothmog being a chewed up orc who seems to have suffered a stroke. He's a chuffing Nazgul for goodness sake!!!!!!

Tolkien never mentions what race Gothmog is but he is certainly not a Nazgul.

parus_ater
27-04-2009, 11:06
Tolkein doesn't mention a lot of things in texts but he does state that Gothmog is the Witch King's second in command and the leader of his army. In later writings he corrects that statement by saying Kahmul was the second in command but that only relegates him to third which you could argue makes him higher than seven of the nine or one one of the nine himself.... I could argue this very point all day as my Tolkein and literature scholars have done in the past but either way, Gothmog was not a mortal, nor was he just a common crippled orc. He was something much more preternatural.

Caprosmaster
27-04-2009, 12:45
hey all

read the hobbit around 9 years of age, can still remember most of it-ish and the LOTR books 10-11, although i really cant remember too much, a re-read is in order methinks

there great books, just heavy going for most people

Caprosmaster

xxRavenxx
27-04-2009, 16:28
I read both the hobbit and the LOTR set of books sometime before my teens (about 11+ years ago).

I've allways loved to read, I've allways liked fantasy, and the world of tolkein is fascinating. His books however, to me, are not.

I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to reread them, dispite much of my memory of them fading. I remember them to be a long winded struggle of a book, as opposed to a pleasurable experience.

Deakor
27-04-2009, 17:03
Read LoTR multiple times.

Currently listening to the unabridged audiobook version of it in my car to and from work. I'd encourage folks to give this a try (but make sure it is unabridged!) as it really adds to the experience. The company is about to depart Lothlorien as we speak...end of the day can't come soon enough!

The Muster of Rohan
27-04-2009, 17:58
This question has come at just the right time for me, actually.

I was given my first copy of The Lord of the Rings (complete paperback) twenty years ago tomorrow, on my seventh birthday. It was a present from an English teacher friend of my mother, after I read and adored The Hobbit. I devoured TLotR (I was...shall we say "precocious" when it came to reading), and have since read it at least twice a year, every year, and often rather more than that, not to mention near-constant delvings into specific chapters or appendices for information. Total readings in the past twenty years? Definitely over 50, anyway.

I've spent the past few weeks reading The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and The Hobbit again, and I'll start The Lord of the Rings again tomorrow over breakfast.

Fredmans
28-04-2009, 17:18
As a child, I spent every summer in the Swedish countryside. They had a small library that was open once every week. Having been recommended LotR by my sister, I borrowed it, devoured it in a single seating and had to wait for an entire week to know what was going to happen. I re-read it twice only that week, only to borrow the other two books and finish the trilogy within the next couple of days.

After the summer, I sneaked into my sister's room and found The Silmarillion. It is THE book I have re-read the most times in my entire life.

Now I read them, or passages rather, whenever I fancy, but I still find them refreshingly magic, although I am not a child anymore. If I would have to make a rough estimate, I think I have read the Silmarillion close to 20 times, and the entire trilogy at least a dozen times.

On the Gothmog note, I think that single sentence would not be enough proof to convince me to either side. There is not enough evidence to analyze (and I am a lit major myself) what "the Witch-king's lieutenant" really means. To me, it is yet another shadow cast from the at that time really unfinished Silmarillion, as is "Grond". I would find it hard, however, to believe that Gothmog would be the name of a mortal king before turning Ring-wraith. I also find it hard to believe that Sauron (who were around when Gothmog was a balrog) would name something Gothmog that would not really be powerful. To name an orc after a balrog feels really weird. On the other side of the argument, why name the 2nd most powerful Nazgul to Gothmog? That would imply that the Witch-king's private nick-name when he and Sauron were alone would be little "Melkor". Talk about delusions of grandeur ;)

/Fredmans

Vampiric16
28-04-2009, 18:42
Who better to lead an army of Orcs than an Orc?
Regardless of what he was, the film adaptation is still very well done.

Lyinar
28-04-2009, 21:21
I've read it many times. I have been a proud Ringer since before the movies were even announced, and have read the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales as well.

Haven't gotten around to reading the "finished" version of the Children of Hurin, though. Waiting for it to come out in an edition that will fit in the cargo pockets of the ACU-style pants I wear. :p

I was able to detach myself enough to enjoy the movies for what they are, but going back and re-reading it, some of the stuff that got changed weirds me out. And, I do have to confess that after seeing Fellowship of the Ring and the part where Aragorn just hands them genericrap daggers instead of them getting the Barrow blades, I did end up having a nightmare regarding the movies turning into a generic hack-and-slash dungeon crawl because the reason why Merry was able to injure the Witch King and render him killable by Eowyn was no longer there.

Gazak Blacktoof
28-04-2009, 21:37
I've read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings a number of times but I've not read any of the other supplementary material. I tried reading the Silmarillion when I was 16 and found it really dry and boring.

Elvish poetry gets on my wick.

The Hoff
29-04-2009, 08:20
Regardless of what he was, the film adaptation is still very well done.

Heresy...repent! :mad:

On the topic at hand, I have always assumed that Gothmog, as Lieutenant of Morgul, was one of the Nazgul. The Orcs are a slave race, I very much doubt that any Orc chieftain would be entrusted with the command of an entire army, let alone be named after such an imposing figure from the first age.

Additionally, given the clan-ish nature of Orcs (example the outbreak of violence in Cirith Ungol)which can often lead to infighting, it would seem foolish to place an Orc in command of an army drawn from a great many breeds and regions.

14-05-2009, 21:16
More than I can count. So much so, I've paid out for the illustrated Alan Lee edition as well as The Hobbit.

And yes, the Isengard Troll annoys me but not as much as Gothmog being a chewed up orc who seems to have suffered a stroke. He's a chuffing Nazgul for goodness sake!!!!!!

Word. We kicked this around in another thread a while back, but because I'm a nut about this and bored at work, I feel compelled to throw in here to say I've always assumed Gothmog was a Nazgul as even the 9th Nazgul in the batting order would out-rank an unreliable orc.

Now in this other thread, someone made the suggestion that it might have been a "Black Numenorean" like The Mouth of Sauron. I could live with that.

But definitely not an orc, AND especially not one with Elephant Man's disease. The extreme darwinistic nature of orcs would have had him cut down in no time.

Suicide Messiah
15-05-2009, 13:26
I always thought he was supposed to be a badass verteran in the movie. The survial of the fittest thing being a testament to just how badass he is.

TBH i have no idea why anyone cares. In the movie you see the witch king giving gothmog his orders. Hes clearly in charge and the orc is just the guy in the trenches so to speak. Infact, other than the presence of gothmog you dont really get any idea of the structure of the army of mordor. PJ probably used the name Gothmog for convenience.

Back on topic. Ive read the hobbit, LotR and the silmarillion once each. They ar ea bit of a slog apart from teh silmarillion, which was very enjoyable. I did get a bit confused with the amount of names tolkien throws at you.

Emperor's Grace
15-05-2009, 17:49
I own five versions, all slightly different, and most of the supplementary materials including an "atlas" that does a cartographic breakdown of their journey (great stuff - even has notes on time discrepancies).

First read the Hobbit, LotR, and Sil (in a week) back in 1986.

While I don't think Gothmog was an orc, I don't think he's nazgul either. I seem to remember Frodo remarking that only one (the witch-king) was present leading the armies.

I'd vote for Black Numenorean or a maiar (vampire/balrog) like the original Gothmog in the supplementary materials (can't remember which one, Sil maybe?).

Suicide Messiah
15-05-2009, 20:05
Yeah he was in the Silmarillion.

Personally i dont like the idea of one nazgul being the second in command. Ranking them like this gives them too much personality and takes away what makes them scary. I dont think that even the witch king should be the uber ringwraith boss to the others. Just the most powerful king before they fell and now ther most potent sorcerer.

JHK
16-05-2009, 06:10
I have read the books many many times, starting when I was about 11, when I had a bad flu and was home from school for a week. I have re-read them every few years since then (I am now 44). Currently, I am re-reading them by reading a chapter every night to my 7 year old son, which is a great way to re-connect to them. Every afternoon after school he comes home and wants to re-enact a sword fight or battle from the book.

I had not read the Unfinished tales until recently- and was mostly spurred on to do so by beginning playing WOTR. I really enjoyed the 2nd and third age sections and haven;t got to the first age yet.

BTW-I have never thought of Gothmog as an orc, and was surprised by the movies interpretation. I had always imagined him as a fallen man, like the Mouth of Sauron- something less than a Nazgul but more powerful than an orc.

Bergioyn
16-05-2009, 19:12
I have read it once, and Hobbit a couple of times. And Silmarillion and parts of the Unfinished Tales.

Crube
16-05-2009, 19:19
I tried to read it when I was 14/15 and got no further than the 3rd chapter... I did read them in full a couple of years ago... and found it a real hard slog, and to be honest, not worth the effort - sorry.

I;m a huge fan of the Fantasy genre, and have enormous respect for Tolkein and his input to the genre, but found the books really hard to get through...

Maybe I should try them again...

C-Coen
17-05-2009, 09:10
Well, Tolkien surely has a very distinctive way of writing, not comparable to all the other fantasy stuff I've ever read.
Many other fantasy books are about action, great heroes etc. LotR is about a small guy walking on bare feet singing songs. There is little information on all the big battles, but pages filled with poems. It's just.. different.

Condottiere
17-05-2009, 09:24
My advice for reading LotR (and this works when you're in Secondary) is find a week when you don't have anything planned and are fairly certain no-one is going to disturb you in your den. You can then leisurely follow the progression of the Fellowship and escalating conflict between the two power blocks.

Col. Tartleton
20-05-2009, 01:21
I've read them and I respect them, and of the story I enjoyed it, and I'll admit they're marvelous works of literature, but I don't think I like them from the sense of the writing style. I'm currently reading the Dune series, and although I at first found it tedious, its quickly softened as I became accustomed to the material. In comparison (it is after all considered one of the few fantasy stories of similar merit) Dune is far better written then LotR, but LotR is far more thought out. Dune is a setting in a story (however well thought out). Middle Earth is a real place. Its just not our place.

VeriNasti
20-05-2009, 06:47
3 time of each book and twice silmarillion, once children of hurin
Should make this a poll

brightblade
20-05-2009, 12:12
Elvish poetry gets on my wick.

Ha Ha. Really?

I love it. :D Ponce that I am.;)

Melvaius
20-05-2009, 17:56
I've read a lot of Tolkien's work, but inmho I much prefer Robert E Howard. Two completely different writers I know but there was something darker about Conan also tied in loosely with the cthluhu mythos.

ismar
20-05-2009, 18:23
I read the books for the first time WAY back in high school, and then once again in college. I had a chance to re-read the books before the movies were released.

There is an excellent web site that details the differences and similarities between the books and the movies. It also has great synopses of the books (almost like cliff notes).

I'll post a link later.

[edit]
The Encyclopedia of Arda - http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

Thanks,
Don

Llew
20-05-2009, 20:05
I'm about 2/3 of the way through my second full reading. (Earlier readings were partial when I was much younger.)

If I read it with the expectation of getting through the plot and moving to the next big story element, it's painful. But if I sit back and just enjoy the story, allow myself to be fascinated by the world, learn about the characters and take it at it's own pace, it is one of the most satisfying reading experiences I've had.

And that's even including the stupid Tom Bombadil poems. ;)

It's really a pleasureable book if you read it for the sheer joy of reading.

Souleater
22-05-2009, 14:52
First read them when I was twelve or thirteen during a summer holiday. Read them again once since then.

I actually prefer the Hobbit. I find the LotR books a bit dry and long winded.

sharkaithegreat
22-05-2009, 20:12
I read the hobbit and fellowship of the ring a while back. The hobbit was good and I enjoyed it, but, nothing much happens in fellowship of the ring :eyebrows:, it ends without much happening. I just thought, "I am NOT reading the second one if it's gonning to be like that."

Still, that was a long time ago, maybe I'll try to read them again....

Alric
23-05-2009, 09:23
Read LotR and The Hobbit 3 times , Silmarillian twice. I would recommend or advise reading the Silmarillian once after reading LotR.

Da Black Gobbo
24-05-2009, 00:30
I read the hobbit, and the trilogy 2 times each, and i have started reading the simarillion over 3 or 4 times but i found it quite slow and i don't like it .

VeriNasti
25-05-2009, 07:53
I read the hobbit, and the trilogy 2 times each, and i have started reading the simarillion over 3 or 4 times but i found it quite slow and i don't like it .

Same here, found the silmaril pretty long and drawn out:o

someone2040
25-05-2009, 09:00
Well, I read the Hobbit long ago, must've been about 12 years ago now. I tried to read LOTR back then, and just couldn't I suppose. I think I read Return of the King after The Two Towers came out cause I wanted to see how it finished ;P

Other than that, with War of the Ring coming out and lifting my interest, I decided to give Tolkien another shot. I read a little bit of the Simlarillon while waiting for my brother to finish with the Hobbit. Then read the Hobbit, and am slogging my way through LOTR. Finished the Fellowship now, and more than half way through the Two Towers. I'm enjoying them, definately a good read. Although I think it has slowed down a bit now in the 2nd half of the Two Towers.

But yeah, War of the Ring got me interested enough to read them to see what other hidden ideas I could get for armies through the books. I don't mind the movies, I think they did the right thing in some circumstances as a movie is a different medium than a book - but of course, it's also missing a lot.

KurtBielarus
25-05-2009, 09:31
Read it multiple times.
+Hobbit, Silmarillion, Unf.tales, Letters and several tomes of "History of Middle Earth".

One of the best books ever written, I think.

Celeborn and Galadriel forever.
The film sucks ;)