PDA

View Full Version : Plague zombies?

BaronDG
26-04-2009, 19:19
I heard it rumoured that these lovely pretties will make a showing in Vraks 3. Can anyone confirm this? Dare we hope for FW models?

LonelyPath
26-04-2009, 20:31
I'd personally love to see some new devoted PZ minis. I got fed up on converting fantasy zombies for things, lol.

BobTheZombie
26-04-2009, 20:33
Forge World making models that will be cheap in points cost and fielded in hordes designed to choke the enemy by number alone, more so than Guard even, seems a bit silly. It'd be a lot of money for a 5 point apiece model. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do a good job, it'd just be a lot of money for the points.

Still, if they look anywhere near as nice as the Death Korps...

BaronDG
26-04-2009, 23:31
We'll certainly go broke...

TheFloatingHead
27-04-2009, 04:35
I've said this before and I'll keep saying it in case somebody from FW might read this, but it would be cool if instead of making one zombie on one infantry base, zombies were a swarm like Scarabs or Rippers. They would be modeled similar to the FW Death Korps Gorgon Passengers, in being three or four bodies that are sculpted right next to each other so it's one big model. This would be a three or four wound base. They would always count as moving through difficult terrain but have FNP or something similar to make them an effective tarpit unit. We know that FW could do it easy, make four or five different zombie bases and we'd be happy. If they looked nice (and no reason why they wouldn't) there would be so many of us here that would buy them into the hundreds! There's plenty of us that would love the idea of having a truly nice looking horde of zombies but cringe at the thought of converting a hundred and more Fantasy zombies or scouring all the other miniature companies that produce zombie miniatures in the appropriate 28mm scale.

totgeboren
27-04-2009, 07:48
westwind productions -> secrets of the third reich -> zombies with helmets or with no helmets.

I bought a box, and I must say they look alot nicer than the GW ones. Not to costly either. :)

(This is how they look painted up)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Traitor%20Guards/tjejen003.jpg

Warpcrafter
27-04-2009, 10:49
I'd personally love to see some new devoted PZ minis. I got fed up on converting fantasy zombies for things, lol.

Why bother converting? I just threw 'em on round bases and made with the pasty skin and congealed blood and Viola! Traded for some Chimeras to transport 'em, painted in a patina of rust, mud and more congealed blood and it's now the centerpiece of my Chaos Apocalypse force.

BaronDG
27-04-2009, 11:43
Noone that read the Vraks 3 preview on some games day or other?

TheFloatingHead
27-04-2009, 15:01
http://fgminis.blogspot.com/2006/10/modern-day-zombies.html

Found this the other day. Most of the minis won't really work because they are either too comical or too modern 20th century. But there's some companies that make models that would work. Westwind was already mentioned and those look really nice. Those are probably the best on the list in my opinion. Another company makes Resident Evil inspired minis and a lot of those looked suitable enough. Check the link out and maybe you'll find something suitable for your army.
I think if somebody had read part of Vraks 3 we would have heard a lot more chatter. It's still a ways off and FW does a much better job of keeping their lips shut on secrets. Must be part of the benefit of having a business with less than a dozen other employees!
Hey Totgeboren! Do you have any pics of the Third Reich Zombies next to any other 40k mini? I'd like to see how they compare size wise. If FW doesn't pan out in the next few months then I'm definetly hitting West Wind up!

Lord Humongous
27-04-2009, 15:59
Forge World making models that will be cheap in points cost and fielded in hordes designed to choke the enemy by number alone, more so than Guard even, seems a bit silly. It'd be a lot of money for a 5 point apiece model. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do a good job, it'd just be a lot of money for the points.

Still, if they look anywhere near as nice as the Death Korps...

If they put multiple zombies on a sprue and deigned them for easy casting, I bet they could keep the price down. Resin isn't inherently expensive; look at how affordable resin bases can be.

Axel
27-04-2009, 17:08
Sorry, but ZOMBIES?
Can please anybody explain to me what is cool or 40k-fluffy on zombies? I so totally missed that trend that I am really absolutely clueless on why anybody would want them.

And I am glad that FW concentrates on the stuff that we really NEED, like more Imperial Guard vehicles (where is my IG Leviathan?), or Orks.

If you want Zombies, buy yourself plastic minis and a cooking plate. Just remember to stop at the right point, or you will get Nids after digestion.

Brother Gabriel
27-04-2009, 17:18
Oh Nurgle Zombies i think

BaronDG
27-04-2009, 17:42
Zombies have been with the game since Rogue Trader.

smug
27-04-2009, 18:32
Sorry, but ZOMBIES?
Can please anybody explain to me what is cool or 40k-fluffy on zombies? I so totally missed that trend that I am really absolutely clueless on why anybody would want them.

And I am glad that FW concentrates on the stuff that we really NEED, like more Imperial Guard vehicles (where is my IG Leviathan?), or Orks.

If you want Zombies, buy yourself plastic minis and a cooking plate. Just remember to stop at the right point, or you will get Nids after digestion.

try codex eye of terror some fun armies

TheFloatingHead
27-04-2009, 19:00
In the game Necromunda Scavvies have zombies. Codex Eye of Terror has zombies. There has been numerous Chapter Approved articles in White Dwarf issues over the years that had rules for them. Black Library has numerous books in the 40k universe that had zombies in them. The walking dead may not be iconic to Warhammer 40k in the same way that Space Marines, Drop Pods or the Imperial Guard but they do have their place. This is already a universe with Space Elves, Space Orks, Space Daemons and Space Killer Insect-Things. This is already a setting which "borrows" and "homages" from just about every other worthwhile fiction setting out there, so why deny others the right to have hordes of walking dead plodding slowly around the battlefield? Forgeworld would do an excellent job if they did make some and nobody has to buy models they don't like.

LonelyPath
27-04-2009, 21:22
Why bother converting? I just threw 'em on round bases and made with the pasty skin and congealed blood and Viola! Traded for some Chimeras to transport 'em, painted in a patina of rust, mud and more congealed blood and it's now the centerpiece of my Chaos Apocalypse force.

I guess it's individual tastes, but the WH zombies just don't look right for 40k to me.

And as others have said, Zombies have been about since the beginning. A friend of mine had a zombie army in RT.

totgeboren
27-04-2009, 21:42
Hey Totgeboren! Do you have any pics of the Third Reich Zombies next to any other 40k mini? I'd like to see how they compare size wise. If FW doesn't pan out in the next few months then I'm definetly hitting West Wind up!

I almost missed your comment. here you go, a GW plastic Zombie, a GW necromunda Plague Zombie, and a Westwind SotTR Zombie.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Traitor%20Guards/traitorguards018-1.jpg

As you can see, they fit quite nicely. Some of the heads were a bit big, but then again, if you compare with GW heads its nothing to complain about. :)

TheFloatingHead
28-04-2009, 00:45
I almost missed your comment. here you go, a GW plastic Zombie, a GW necromunda Plague Zombie, and a Westwind SotTR Zombie.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i95/totgeboren40/Traitor%20Guards/traitorguards018-1.jpg

As you can see, they fit quite nicely. Some of the heads were a bit big, but then again, if you compare with GW heads its nothing to complain about. :)

Cool, thanks a lot! Actually those WW zombies look really nice. If Forgeworld doesn't come through on Vraks 3 I'll definetly be going to them for some zombie action! I've been playing the crap out of the new Left for Dead Survival Pack so I've definetly got some zombies on the brain:p:skull::angel:

Phunting
28-04-2009, 00:50
And I am glad that FW concentrates on the stuff that we really NEED, like more Imperial Guard vehiclesIndeed, because if there's one thing that FW really hasn't done enough of, it's IG vehicles... :eyebrows:

BaronDG
28-04-2009, 10:55
One problem with the current zombies is that they look too monstrous. The horror factor with the undead is that they have been human and you could yourself become what they are...

Leftenant Gashrog
28-04-2009, 11:28
No idea how well they scale up, but these aren't too bad for the price:
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/_product_16676/Zombie_Horde