PDA

View Full Version : Most cost effective way to transport Ogres?

ICLRK625
27-04-2009, 04:39
I used the search function, and was unable to find any topics relevent to large masses of Ogre Sized units.

Anyways, the way I've got it right now, I use a couple of 3" foam trays from The War Store (they fit inside the army case I have), however those are fairly expensive ($7 each I believe), and you can really only fit about 6 Ogres per tray (I have far more Ogres then that).

Is there any sort of case that works well with Ogre Kingdoms models? Or am I just going to have to buckle up and keep buying foam trays?

Lord Dan
27-04-2009, 04:42
Have you tried the thicker trays? You can squeeze more in as you can stand them up.

ICLRK625
27-04-2009, 04:43
Have you tried the thicker trays? You can squeeze more in as you can stand them up.

That's what I was just looking at, I have 2.5" trays, and I have to lay them down, didn't realize there were 3" trays. This is what I need, thanks a lot!

Voodoo Boyz
27-04-2009, 11:48
6 Ogres?

Dude I fit upwards of 10 per tray in the exact same foam trays you're using. Actually I think it was the 2.5" trays. And most of that was Iron Guts, which take up more space, you just have to plan out how you're going to store them a bit better.

ICLRK625
27-04-2009, 13:00
6 Ogres?

Dude I fit upwards of 10 per tray in the exact same foam trays you're using. Actually I think it was the 2.5" trays. And most of that was Iron Guts, which take up more space, you just have to plan out how you're going to store them a bit better.

There's no way they're the same if you can fit them that way, I'll have to go measure them.

They poke up, and prevent the next foam tray from resting on top of it, so perhaps I'm using 2", they were just leftovers from my Empire Carrying case.

EDIT: Just checked, they're 2.5, but I have 8 in each, not 6, so I suppose you're about right. Are you laying yours down, or standing them up?

Keller
27-04-2009, 13:17
I use cases from Charron. They have cavalry trays, which hold 9 (or maybe 12?) large openings that are perfect for monsters (and cavalry!) I highly reccomend them; not sure of the cost though.

I consider the cost to be marginal. You aren't going to need to buy tons of them, and they are unlikely to wear out. Consider it a sound investment in protecting your beloved models from breaking due to improper storage.

ICLRK625
27-04-2009, 13:21
I use cases from Charron. They have cavalry trays, which hold 9 (or maybe 12?) large openings that are perfect for monsters (and cavalry!) I highly reccomend them; not sure of the cost though.

I consider the cost to be marginal. You aren't going to need to buy tons of them, and they are unlikely to wear out. Consider it a sound investment in protecting your beloved models from breaking due to improper storage.

Well, perfect then. The problem with the trays I'm using is the amount I'd need for the cost, if I can hold even a few more per tray, I'd end up saving money.

Thanks a lot!

Keller
27-04-2009, 13:49
Well, perfect then. The problem with the trays I'm using is the amount I'd need for the cost, if I can hold even a few more per tray, I'd end up saving money.

Thanks a lot!

I use 3 of them to transport my Ogre Kingdoms army, so it should do the trick for you. I can find a link for them on my home PC, maybe, so PM me if you can't find them.

Voodoo Boyz
27-04-2009, 19:17
FYI, my ogres lay down on their backs in the 2.5" Sabol trays.

I arranged it so that the "short" ogres went up top in little square holes (Bulls, Leadbelchers, Butchers) and then Iron Guts went on the bottom half of the tray since lying down they're a bit taller.

badgeraddict
27-04-2009, 19:31
I use a B&Q plastic tool box to transport my Bretonnian army. The knights rank up nicely at the bottom, so I'd guess Ogres would do the same. Gnoblars can be placed on the top tray.

Just an idea.

Malorian
27-04-2009, 19:34
Most cost effective? um... shoe box I guess... my brother and a local player keep their ogres standing up in a shoe box and haven't had any trouble.

I keep mine in the good ol GW case.

Danny76
27-04-2009, 19:38
BattleFoam makes Ogre traysfit specially for Bull sized models

O&G'sRule
27-04-2009, 20:16
Theyre almost all big chunky plastic models, so the won't chip, they wont fall apart and they wont snap, to be honest you can transport them with very little care and expense and theyll be fine

ICLRK625
27-04-2009, 21:01
Theyre almost all big chunky plastic models, so the won't chip, they wont fall apart and they wont snap, to be honest you can transport them with very little care and expense and theyll be fine

That's what everyone tells me, but I'm too paranoid to do something like that, but I suppose I did ask for the most cost effective way.

Mercules
28-04-2009, 14:43
I am still building my Ogre case.

I have 2 things going for me.
1. I magnetized all the bases of my Ogres.
2. I ordered foam so I can build custom trays.

The foam I ordered is 3" thick and a sheet 1/4". I am going to glue the foam to very thin sheet metal and stand most of my ogres up. 1/4" foam goes on the bottom and stacked it will provide a secure safe place even if the figures do break free from the magnetic grip for a moment.

I also could just glue a thin sheet of metal to the bottom of a heavy duty box and rank my ogres up with a lot of open space above them. I just fear one breaking free and ending up rolling around on top of the others, especially the metal ones. You could tie a rope to some of those metal Ogres and you would have a flail.

Forgot to mention: My foam was bought from a packaging/shipping retailer for $28. Magnets cost me $15.

Agoz
28-04-2009, 17:22
I got me a box to keep my ogres in, I'm fancy! :p Really the only downside to a shoe box is that the irongut weapons tend to snap off, as do banners, yhettis also are quite fragile.

Tarliyn
28-04-2009, 17:37
so I just checked out the battlefoam site and it looks like they have pretty awesome stuff

how are they on shipping and deliverying the items

I am nervous to buy from an online retailer I know little about

Thanks