PDA

View Full Version : Night Lord lightning armour

Nicha11
27-04-2009, 05:35
So the CSM Nightlords have lightning crackling on their armour.

1) can you shock someone with it?

2) how does this sneaky legion sneak around with lightning flickering and crackling on their armour?

changer of fate
27-04-2009, 05:38
dude, if i was a imperial guard patrol, the last thing i want to see in a dark place is a random lightning flickering around ok.

Hicks
27-04-2009, 05:39
So the CSM Nightlords have lightning crackling on their armour.

1) can you shock someone with it?

2) how does this sneaky legion sneak around with lightning flickering and crackling on their armour?

1) No

2) The lightnings are just painted on, but really I don't know how marines can be this sneaky.

changer of fate
27-04-2009, 05:42
2) The lightnings are just painted on, but really I don't know how marines can be this sneaky.

actually, the lightning do flicker in the stories and backgrounds

Hicks
27-04-2009, 05:43
Really? I never read that before. -10 cool points for the NL then. :(

Inquisitor Engel
27-04-2009, 05:54
The flickering is hyperbole and metaphor.

The Night Lords' armour has had lightning painted on it prior since before the Heresy according to some sources.

SimonL
27-04-2009, 06:15
Behold the flickering armour out of the 5th Ed. Rulebook

Inquisitor Engel
27-04-2009, 06:16
If it's got clown ears, it's not a real Night Lord. ;)

SimonL
27-04-2009, 06:19
We've got that thread going already lol.

Enkidu
27-04-2009, 06:46
Maybe they turn it on and off to freak people out!?

Imagine: A dark shadow inexplicably looms over you, coming from a nearby alleyway. You gasp in fear and try not to void your bowels as you realize its a Chaos Space Marine! A traitors of mankind, and the harbinger of your doom.
As it stalks forward out of the darkness, suddenly lightning crackles and dances along the ancient armor, basking the traitor in a hellish glow.
It raises its bolter, corrupted with the hateful marks of ruinous gods; and an eerie calm washes over you as you realize your life is at its end...

Not bad for a few minutes work, reminds me of playing D&D as a kid!

rottahn
27-04-2009, 07:27
maybe its a faint flickering. :)
but yeah, the index astartes talked about the armor flickering with lightning.

Lord-Caerolion
27-04-2009, 08:39
I'd already posted my answer to this same question in another forum, so I'll just move my response here:

However, the idea has since grown on me, and I can imagine the Night Lords having a "lightning field" which can be activated for short periods of time, just to help freak the utter crud out of the opponents. Think of it as like a very, very minor version of a refractor field, so the HQ have had theirs scaled up in power, enabling it to give actual protection. Perhaps it could even be used as a kind of one-shot bomb, briefly surging the power, leaving the Marine incapable of movement while the armour recharges, but killing or stunning all non-armoured targets within a small radius.

I can just imagine a squad of guardsmen picking their way through a ruined city, with 'monsters' preying on them from the shadows. Suddenly, a lone figure steps out from the darkness in front of them, slowly turning it's head towards them. As they begin to raise their guns, the figure starts laughing at them, and small flickers of electricity start to arc across its body. Perplexed, the guardsmen begin shooting, watching as the lasbolts impact harmlessly off its armour, all while the Night Lords laughter becomes louder and louder. Suddenly, the laughter stops, and the Night Lord points towards them, and whispers just loud enough for them to hear "we come for you...", a split second before the field reaches critical mass, exploding outwards from the Marine, crippling/killing the guardsmen, and the rest of the Night Lord squad moves in for the kill/

changer of fate
27-04-2009, 09:13
cool, suicide "lightning" bombs.

Lord-Caerolion
27-04-2009, 09:34
More along the lines of an EMP, but harming flesh as well as circuitry, rather than a suicide bomb.

Terror of the East
27-04-2009, 09:35
It has been stated in the white dwarf and index astartes that the lightning on the nightlords is real flickering lightning. i imagine its not really that powerful, like a nasty static shock.

changer of fate
27-04-2009, 09:57
it's doing it's job as long as it freaks the enemy out

Emperor's Grace
27-04-2009, 16:58
I vote for psych warfare, the lightning giving you glimpses/flashes of your coming doom.

Let's face it, SM/CSM stealth isn't really needed against most enemies.

If you can see the SM/CSM, the fact that you're not dead yet is merely a formality.

(Referencing the idea of the Tueller Drill with SM being much faster...)

Actually, it's a lot like the gate guard scene (in Lancelot's tale) from Monty Python. You see the SM break cover at a distance, and suddenly he's next to you hacking you with a sword. After all, the fastest human sprint is apparently around 26 miles/hour (for a brief time) and I think it was estimated once (in Kage-verse at least) that SM should be capable of 60mph (this also matches some tech that I heard of in the 1990's for gas piston assisted tundra running) sustained.

All told, this should mean (at least to me) that an SM could break cover and attack someone say 200 ft away before they could fire. Add the ability of the armor to absorb/deflect damage and who knows how far and he'd still reach you before you can put him down. Once in CC, he has ALL the advantages. Maybe this is why they stick to swords still?

Ubermensch Commander
27-04-2009, 17:14
Night Lords use Terror Tactics, not just hit and run or infiltration.
Facing down an eight feet tall bio engineered monstrosity that crackles with lightning is pretty terrifying.
Does it help them sneak? Probably not. Does it allow them to terrify their enemies? Yes.
Does it look badass? Double Yes.

PondaNagura
27-04-2009, 18:40
i actually always liked the idea of the lightning on NL as being active. i've been picking at a sketch of a daemon leering face squaring down at a trembling man caught in the marine's grasp, and whose face is wracked in pain as the lightning plays from the marine's armor into the guy's eyes/mouth.

hmm night lords are quite popular in recent posts, perhaps these should be consolidated into just the two already going?

edit: i might post my stuff later in the art section, as i have a rehashing of chaos study i plan on doing...NL, BL, IW, WE, etc

Enkidu
27-04-2009, 18:49
i actually always liked the idea of the lightning on NL as being active. i've been picking at a sketch of a daemon leering face squaring down at a trembling man caught in the marine's grasp, and whose face is wracked in pain as the lightning plays from the marine's armor into the guy's eyes/mouth.

hmm night lords are quite popular in recent posts, perhaps these should be consolidated into just the two already going?

I'd like to see that! Sounds great.

Quetch
27-04-2009, 19:46
Really? I never read that before. -10 cool points for the NL then. :(

why would having real lightning playing around their armour make them less cool than it simply being painted on? ‘real’ always beats faked. look at the skulls they painted onto their helmets pre-heresy; now think how much cooler that would be if they were real skulls taken from enemies fallen in combat :p

Maybe this is why they stick to swords still?

rule of cool here. sword fights with chainsaws are cool. blowing people up from space with nukes is not

Col. Tartleton
27-04-2009, 20:29
At this point we should start a new subforum just for discussing the night lords.

The lightning is real, the marines are giant, the lightning claws glow, the speakers howl, the jet engine shoots flames, the armor is pitch blue, the eyes shoot lasers, the bat helms flap, the mouth spits acid and the fangs bite into arteries. Their feet have bladed talons, their hair is black and silky evil, their eyes are blacker and blood shot their faces are gaunt and angry. They have chainsaw swords and rifled grenade machine pistols and ride huge choppers and whip people with lightning coated chains and light their skulled heads on fire and throw Molotov cocktails while they blast melodic metal.

Night Lords are crazy cool, just admit it.

Zothos
02-05-2009, 21:13
The Night Lords are indeed the coolest of the Traitor Legions in my opinion. Simply because they do not recognize the Emperor OR the Chaos gods as their masters.
This makes one of the only truly autonomous forces in all of 40k.

They are a Legion that actually has a REASON to feel wronged by the Emperor and owe allegiance to nobody.

They love to cause terror and fear in the hearts of their enemies and usually do not strike until they have done so. Lightning playing across the armor and lots of slashy and pointy weapons, which they use oh so proficiently, are merely the icing on the cake!

I do so love my Night Lords!!!

ercan_sinar
02-05-2009, 21:27
"rule of cool here. sword fights with chainsaws are cool. blowing people up from space with nukes is not"

Well, unless you play BFG

Demon Druss
02-05-2009, 22:45
True but you still have boarding actions in BFG and why? Space Marines are "space" marines. First job is boarding hulks looting anything worth taking and blowing it up strangely even in BFG close combat is tragically important! As for Night Lords they are my second favorite Traitor Legion after Iron Warriors.

ctsteel
02-05-2009, 23:49
Perhaps those atrociously designed helmet wings are cunningly disguised lightning rods, enabling the night lords to stand under a van de graaf machine to 'charge up' before battle.

Or they just rub balloons and fur together then touch each other.

Sceleris82
03-05-2009, 14:45
Spacemarines aint about beeing sneaky like a ninja, chaos or not.

Nightlords are first and foremost about terror. Yes i know they are more "sneaky" than the average worldeater marine. But if you compare it to our defnition of sneaky, forexample like a assasin, then nightlords aint about that.

Having a giant with a beastial face, and with crackling lightning crawling over his body, is sure to inspire terror in their enemies. The darkness is their tool to create even more terror. Cutting of communication is about creating terror.

My point is, that the armor they use serves the purpose of creatin terror very well. And people who says its silly, cause how can nightlords sneak around with lightning armor are looking at it wrong, imho. Spacemarines are giants of man, even a "sneaky" marine aint really sneaky. I imagine that the way Nightlords are sneaky, are by using cover of darkness, and do stuff like attack in the night, cut off any light sources and etc. But the main motivation for thoose actions aint to be more sneaky, but to create more terror. Because they are a spacemarine, and just like a grizzly will have a hard time being sneaky, so will a spacemarine ( in the ninja way).

InquisitorNiels
03-05-2009, 16:58
The Night Lords are the masters of Terror. Prefall terror was a tool of war, and after their fall terror was what they did for fun's sake.

Now imagine, your a guardsmen in your trench, or behind your wall. It's night, complete blackness surrounds you, it seems even the moon is of no use. The rain is pouring down on your head, and for the past hour your nerves have been on end because the only thing you can hear on your vox is the sound of screams. Suddenly in the distance far off you see lighting crackling on the armour of the Night Lords. You cant see how many, or how far, but you know they are coming. With the next flash, only moments latter these giant powered armour super humans are on top of you, hacking and slashing. The last thing you know before you die is that you didn't stand a chance.

Those that survive tell the others, the higher ranks try to suppress this information, but it gets out anyway. Now the next batch of men are scared before they even get deployed, the screams that are broadcast across the planet 24/7 only add to the effect. Every man feels like he is already dead. He is scared out of his mind and he hasn't even been face to face with his enemy.

PondaNagura
03-05-2009, 17:07
i think one of the visions people get in their mind is that if it is active, that it is constantly playing across the surface like a tesla coil [which is kind of what it is doing when you paint the models], rather than short quick bursts of actual lightning [think strobe light].

i got the image of it flaring up every few seconds, briefly picking out daemonic visages, wings and trophies in grisly sharp contrast, throwing the marines body as a silhouette, while varying the speed/distance the NL have traveled instace to instance from InquisitorNiels' description. like a dark halo

Dalenator
03-05-2009, 19:15
Hmm, electricity, ninja-esque skills.... I'm thinking....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IQ9mpFZz9c

cankingboi
04-05-2009, 05:29
the marine is 8 ft tall he has lightning bursts play across his giant suit of armor and most people havent even seen or heard of a marine other than in stories, i would be scared if he was in a bunny suit with pink ribbons in his hair

hawo0313
04-05-2009, 10:22
I think night lords are very stealthy as I have never even seen them on the table before its like they avoid me. mostly people just play black legion around but I think night lords are cooler. and might be irrelevent but wasn't one of the power armours predecessors called MK1 thunder armour and as they said that during the heresy older generations of armour were put back into circulation due to the lack of armour they could be using that instead otherwise I dont know which of the chaos gods supports lightning flowing through the armour.

Phenski
04-05-2009, 14:52
Aaarrggghhh!!!
Big NL fan, HATE the bat helmets and/or lightning wreathed armour!! My armies fluff is that they disabled the 'lightning generator' in their power armour during a slightly-post HH campaign... made them sneakier... nuff said

And to the 'suicide-bomb', thats even crazier! Id imagine CSM of any Legion (more so than renegades, maybe not true for World Eaters) to be more aware of the value of their 10,000 years experience of warfare (hence Ld 9 :) ), suicide just doesnt make sense!
Even though BL kills bazillions of precious traitor Legionaires in every story regarding Space Marines, ive never read any suiciding AFAIK

Phenski

PondaNagura
04-05-2009, 15:35
hawo0313, thunder armor was the first type of 'power armor' but it was a terrestrial power armor. it augmented the upper body strength of the tribal warriors of the Techno-Barbarians on old Terra, who prefer HtH fighting rather than long ranged engagements. It was only armored from the waist up, the leggings being armored but un-augmented, and was limited to a planet with atmosphere. the Thunder comes from the association of the Unification Wars, when the Terawatt clan would display the hand-clutching-lightning motif rather than the later Imperial Aquila.

they may have cannibalized some part of that armor during the heresy, but to use the whole thing would really be a downgrade for any marine, putting them on par with a scout.

I second Phenski's stance on marine suicide-bomber.

SimonL
04-05-2009, 15:58
As the game has become more directed towards a teen and preteen age bracket, the fluff has become more OTT and cartoony. A army based on brutal and gruesome torture and terror tactics is not as acceptable to parents as "These guys are scary! Look at their bat-helmets and lightning armour! Be afraid..."

Nothing in Lord of Night mentions bat-wing helmets and lightning. The horror comes from the actions and philosopy of the character. Night Lords are scary because they are monsters inside, not because they look like "Monster-of-the-day extras from Power Rangers".

For example, anyone see Pan's Labyrinth? The real horrifying stuff wasn't the monsters, it was the normal looking army officer who was willing to maim and torture to get what he wanted.

Sceleris82
04-05-2009, 16:13
I found the monsters very creepy.

Phenski
04-05-2009, 16:15
As the game has become more directed towards a teen and preteen age bracket...

Tweenhammer 40,000!! LOL :D :D :D

Col. Dash
04-05-2009, 18:51
Ummm LAME! Yet more BS GW fluff that they changed and I am ignoring. It was always painted on before. In the novel it was a paint scheme. That they want it to move is just stupid. Screw GW and their idiot editors and retarded imaginations. My NL have painted on lightning bolts like they are supposed to have. I think GW writers have watched too many Dragonball z cartoons.

Lostanddamned
04-05-2009, 20:52
The Night Lords are the masters of Terror. Prefall terror was a tool of war, and after their fall terror was what they did for fun's sake.

Now imagine, your a guardsmen in your trench, or behind your wall. It's night, complete blackness surrounds you, it seems even the moon is of no use. The rain is pouring down on your head, and for the past hour your nerves have been on end because the only thing you can hear on your vox is the sound of screams. Suddenly in the distance far off you see lighting crackling on the armour of the Night Lords. You cant see how many, or how far, but you know they are coming. With the next flash, only moments latter these giant powered armour super humans are on top of you, hacking and slashing. The last thing you know before you die is that you didn't stand a chance.

Those that survive tell the others, the higher ranks try to suppress this information, but it gets out anyway. Now the next batch of men are scared before they even get deployed, the screams that are broadcast across the planet 24/7 only add to the effect. Every man feels like he is already dead. He is scared out of his mind and he hasn't even been face to face with his enemy.

And next time it might not be an attack. Just a sighting of a marine, standing right there in the middle of the trenches, corruscating lightening picking him out for the briefest of seconds, as he roars with bestial laughter, but by the time you turn your lights onto him, he is gone.

But now everyone in the platoon will know that the Night Lords can appear out of the darkness.

I remember reading that not only do the Night Lords utilise terror tactics such as these, they also defile the bodies of thier opponents, so as to further terrify victims, the example I remember is of an Ultramarine Assault Marine who was captured, had his geneseed removed, his chest broken open and was crucified all whilst still alive and mounted on the front of a rhino when the Night Lords drove to battle against his brothers.

This is why the Night Lords are badass, they are sheer brutality and evil.

Also would anyone have an issue with me using this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1090050&rootCatGameStyle=) as a Night Lord Daemon Prince (after some 40kfication of course - perched on some CoD ruins, with some Skulls scattered about, the model itself is IMO perfect.)

Col. Dash
04-05-2009, 21:20
Only the whole daemon prince part in the first place, the model I guess would be fine. NLs do not like chaos and abhore anything resembling its worship. Its why they do not get along with the more devout legions. It would be interesting to see their views on Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion though.

SimonL
04-05-2009, 22:06
Only the whole daemon prince part in the first place, the model I guess would be fine. NLs do not like chaos and abhore anything resembling its worship. Its why they do not get along with the more devout legions.

Ah but there is NL daemon prince (Krieg Acerbus) in the end of Lord of Night. It is Zso Sahaal that abhors and uses Chaos, instead of worshipping it.

DapperAnarchist
04-05-2009, 22:14
I agree with the point here that the Night Lords and other stealthy marines aren't stealthy in the sense of Rangers and Catachans. It would be more like the stealthiness of the Wehrmacht invasion of France - that is, sure tanks make loads of noise, but no-one knew where they were until they were behind French lines, causing a hell of a mess...

InquisitorNiels
05-05-2009, 03:53
Night Lords use chaos as a tool. Who is really using who (or should it be whom I don't know English sucks) is besides the point. Night Lords for the most part don't worship the gods as other heretics might, but being elevated to demon-princedom is not out of the question.

I might even use a dragon/other scary beast monster ridden by my lord to represent the stats of a demon price, because my Night Lords don't worship chaos, they hardly even use it. They don't even live in the Eye of Terror. The only ones in my army that use chaos are the sorcerers. And the space hulk that is their base of operations, which is possessed by demons. The use some sort of warp tech that blots out the sun and allows them to control the weather on the planet they plan to attack, creating violent storms, shutting down and controlling communications and preventing warp communications.

This is all before a single Night Lord sets foot on the planet. The idea is that the population is scared to death before a single battle is fought, before a single bullet is fired.

I also have this idea that to increase your rank beyond squad leader to chosen you are set loose on a planet with nothing but a few basic weapons, and clothes and you must scare the planet/city much in the same way that Night Haunter did. That shows why the chosen can sneak around well, and it shows that they are true masters of terror, not just mindless killing machines.

Any Space Marine, loyal or traitor is going to scare any sane person fighting them. Throwing bat ears, or even lightning that plays across their armour doesn't make Night Lords the scariest of all the Space Marines. It's the psychological part that makes them scary.

Seeing your fellow brother in arms still alive and tortured displayed across their rhinos, or for weeks on end (or longer/shorter depending on how long the Night Lords are there) hearing nothing but pain filled screams across your radios, on your televisions, or simply broadcast throughout your cities and country sides. It's your family and friends disappearing at night without anyone seeing any attackers, only to find their bodies dead, maybe still alive somewhere like tied to a lamp post, or crucified on a building. The bat wings (which I think could be scary but the models are terrible) and the lightning on the armour is not what makes the Night Lords scary, its just the icing on the cake of terror.

Those are things that I just came up with on the top of my head while writing this post. If you had 10k years of practice I think you can come up with some pretty horrifying stuff. IMO Night Lords don't just land on a planet and start attacking. That is way to simple. For my Night Lords like I said they blot out the sun weeks before they start some of things I stated above. Every day more and more stuff is happening, each step bringing you closer to taking your own life, or sitting in a corner crying before a single Night Lord is seen.

So if you don't think bat wings on their helmets, and lightning on their armour is scary your right. If you think that is supposed to be the scary part you are wrong.

However that's just how I see things.

Wolfblade670
01-06-2009, 16:36
Um, sorry for the threadomancy, but I just had an idea: what if the "lightning effect" is actually a side effect of powering up or switching off some kind of stealth field, ala Predator? That's the first thing that came to my mind. Perhaps it would explain how the 8 foot tall walking tanks are so sneaky...

Oh, and just for the record, I like the batwing helmets. :D