PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Knight - size and scale

Whitehorn
27-04-2009, 11:27
Before I finalise my designs and begin building, I wanted to open the debate for a consensus on Knight sizes.

For reference, I am building a Warden (top left and top middle particularly):
http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2126epicimperialknights-01.jpg

There are a couple of angles to use for reference - the BoLs diagram showing a marine approximately toe-sized next to the Warden and the epic scale (often poor) putting a Warden at around the size of an Ork Stompa.

I'd like to think they are roughly the same size as the new Apocalypse Stompa by way of general height and a little smaller on the horizontal.

Some comparisons against a Warhound:
http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994097-01.jpg

Teufelskerl
27-04-2009, 16:50
Since you probably don't realize yet, I just want to give a word of warning; discussing Titan scales is the 40k equivalent of discussing religion or politics. People can become very emotional and tend to believe that only they are correct and anyone with a dissenting opinion is a heretic.

Part of the problem is that published fluff is contradictory when it comes to Titan sizes and trying to base scales off of published illustrations can lead to outrageous sizes (Emperor Titans being 12 feet tall, for example.) Likewise, trying to "scale-up" from Epic can lead to huge difficulties since the artists were not trying to be exact with their scale; they were striving for appearance, not scale precision.

All that having been said, whatever size you decide on will be fine in the end; don't let any one nay-say you when it comes to building your own models. Personally, I feel that since Knight Titans were single-man vehicles compared to the Warhound, which had a crew of half a dozen, the Knight Titan should be smaller, but not significantly so. If a Warhound stands 10.5 inches (26-27 cm), I find that a Knight Titan which stands 8 inches (20 cm) looks about right. I have seen Knight Titans which were smaller (7 inches) and they looked a bit weedy and small. I've also seen Knight Titans which pushed the 11 inch mark; a Knight Titan that makes a Warhound look small just seemed wrong.

Good luck with the build!

Whitehorn
27-04-2009, 17:05
I think most niche (and even general subjects) can be like prodding a wasp nest here, but it doesn't really bother me, you get the occasional gem of information such as your post :)

Culven
27-04-2009, 18:28
I would just assume something between the size of a Warhound and that of a Dreadnought would be appropriate. So, an Ork Stompa sounds about right.

bigdaddy
06-05-2009, 12:09
after some discution with william hayes the creator of the forgeworld reaver and the mars pattern warhound.

for him, knights must be to 19 cm maximum.

the_picto
06-05-2009, 12:16
Ignore pictures and ignore epic. Just based it on the scale established by the 40k titans and stompas. So your knight will be a bit smaller than a warhound. It may not fit the fluff or match the scale used in epic, but it will maintain consistancy with other 40k models.

Ddraiglais
06-05-2009, 14:02
Since you probably don't realize yet, I just want to give a word of warning; discussing Titan scales is the 40k equivalent of discussing religion or politics. People can become very emotional and tend to believe that only they are correct and anyone with a dissenting opinion is a heretic.

Part of the problem is that published fluff is contradictory when it comes to Titan sizes and trying to base scales off of published illustrations can lead to outrageous sizes (Emperor Titans being 12 feet tall, for example.) Likewise, trying to "scale-up" from Epic can lead to huge difficulties since the artists were not trying to be exact with their scale; they were striving for appearance, not scale precision.

All that having been said, whatever size you decide on will be fine in the end; don't let any one nay-say you when it comes to building your own models. Personally, I feel that since Knight Titans were single-man vehicles compared to the Warhound, which had a crew of half a dozen, the Knight Titan should be smaller, but not significantly so. If a Warhound stands 10.5 inches (26-27 cm), I find that a Knight Titan which stands 8 inches (20 cm) looks about right. I have seen Knight Titans which were smaller (7 inches) and they looked a bit weedy and small. I've also seen Knight Titans which pushed the 11 inch mark; a Knight Titan that makes a Warhound look small just seemed wrong.

Good luck with the build!

That's because one side is correct, and the other side thinks that oversized titans are cool for some reason.

Fluff has never been contradictory on titan sizes. The debate comes from one side using established numbers in the rule books, and the other side using artists' interpretations.

To the OP: Bell of Lost Souls has rules for the warden. They have pictures that you could use for scale. Their rules are pretty spot on for a lot of Epic warmachines in 40K.

http://www.box.net/shared/diel1ercms