PDA

View Full Version : What army should i choose ?

spookygibbs
27-04-2009, 18:51
Hi,
I didn't know if this the right forum to post this in, but it is to do with fantasy. I'm obviously a newcomer to fantasy and i don't know what army to choose. In 40k i play Chaos Marines, but i didn't really like the look of chaos in fantasy (strange i know). I have my eye on Bretonnia and Skaven, but i'd just like to check with experienced players to see if they're decent starter armies.
Thanks in Advance,

Steven

mrtn
27-04-2009, 19:11
Start the army that's the coolest looking. And check the sticky thread for tips and reviews of the different armies.
However, skaven is the next army coming up, so I wouldn't buy any clanrats, hoping that they will be redone. Plague monks and rat ogres/giant rats are new boxes, however, and very cool, so you could start by painting up some of those in the mean time.

Keller
27-04-2009, 19:24
Players should, IMO, start whatever army they are most drawn to from the model/fluff/theme standpoint. Any player can play any army, albiet some are a bit tougher than others. The sad truth of the matter, though, is that this is a hobby where 90% of your time is spent off of the gaming table. You have to be able to totally immerse yourself in you're chosen army, not simply because you like the way it plays, but because you like the general appeal of the army. If you chose an army based on how it plays, but weren't really into the theme and character of it, I bet you'd quickly lose interest and never get anything painted and assembled.

That said, if you like Bretonnia and Skaven, they are both excellent armies. as Mrtn said, Skaven are likely ot be re-released next, so they will get a new book and probably some new models. If you want to go that route, I'd say buy models now before they are released, since they will be more expensive per model afterwards. Skaven is a very model-heavy army, requiring tons of rats to fill in the horde. I'd get them as cheap as possible, since you are going to need so many. You can always buy the new ones to show off in the front ranks and for special units if you like them better.

Bretonnia would probably be a cheaper army, money wise, to do, as you need not as many models. Their knights' heraldry allows for great painting oppertunities, where as Skaven will make you sick of brown, black, and tan before long. Personally, I am not much for cavalry, so I don't care much for Bretonia.

As far as competetiveness, both armies are fine, but not quite up to par with the new 7th-ed armies. Skaven will be redone soon, no word on Bretonnia as of now, though. Brets can still hold their own against most any army out there, and are very capable if you play them well.

Erie Ed
27-04-2009, 22:09
what are you looking for in an army?

Urgat
27-04-2009, 22:14
You should choose... skavens. Why? Dunno, you asked, I answered the first army that came to mind. What the heck is that question anyway, what army should I choose.
You know what answers you're gonna get? The skaven player will tell you skaven, the orc player will answer orcs, the bretonian player will tell you to play bretonians. You think that's going to help you any?

There:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/landing.jsp?catId=cat210002&rootCatGameStyle=wh
Check all the armies, see the one you prefer, play that one army.

Zilverug
28-04-2009, 10:40
You could also start a Daemon army. The models look the same as in 40K (because they are the same) and you can also use them in 40K!

VeriNasti
28-04-2009, 10:42
But the bases are different Zilverug... and demons are overly overpowered

spookygibbs
28-04-2009, 20:42
I decided on Bretonnians because of a lot of reasons, thanks for everyones help.