PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Like Going to GW :O

Imperius
28-04-2009, 00:13
Shocker I know, but whenever I go there we have:

A) Arguements between players.
B) People are bored, so they make stupid comments.
C) Employees constantly trying to sell me stuff (they are probably on commission.)
D) I sort of felt like an ass when I was reading the new Codex and people were jostling to read it next.
E) Too many maggots that are barely past my knee when they stand up.

I am forced to just crawl into my little cave, light a lamp and paint my guys until I need a new product, then I browse for about 3 minutes and run away with the box.
I know the manager fairly well, he seems pretty cool, but the employees annoy me by sometimes over-exaggerating how good something is.

I.E. when I was reading the Codex feeling like a complete ******* the people were complaining about how strong squadrons of Leman Russes will be, while I was telling them it wasn't really that OP. But obviously they didn't listen and kept their opinion that z0m6 i r never pl3y imperel goord playor cuz of powar gamr, meanwhile I was wondering what the hell a power-gamer is.

Any other store haters out there?

sigur
28-04-2009, 00:21
I can see why you feel that way. Don't go there then. :eyebrows:

And why is someone who doesn't like going to a GW store a "GW store hater"? Quite a bit overused that word, innit?

mrln68
28-04-2009, 00:25
Nope, just a GW hater.

If they weren't the only company making interesting plastic sci-fi miniatures, I probably wouldn't have much of anything to do with them at all.

However, they do have interesting miniatures (in plastic). The core fluff is pretty cool. And in the grand scheme of things they aren't too pricey. Now though, I don't use them to play 40K (well, sort of but different). I haven't been to a GW store for over 5 years and I sleep much better at night as a result.

ehlijen
28-04-2009, 00:27
Don't go? Don't listen to them? Don't read codices at the store but buy them and read them at home? And I've never seen maggots that reach to my knee. You might want to call an exterminator :p

Yes, the staffers are meant to sell you stuff. The trick to getting them off your back usually involves actually getting to know them a bit, though that of course requires actually attending games nights and things.

Btw, randomly calling kids 'maggots' when a term like 'annoying kids' was available does not make for good impressions regarding your character :p

LonelyPath
28-04-2009, 00:36
My usual GW store is a bit of a mixed bag, usually it's a good place to go and have a chat with people (I rarely buy when I visit, heh) and discuss armies, formations, tactics, have a quick game and so on. Rarely do I feel that I'm being urged or forced to make a purchase and quite at ease.

However, that is most of the time, sometimes it can be hell when a certain crowd are present or a particular member of staff is on. Not mentioning any names or what they do (as it'll give them away if people know the store or if they're on here and see this).

But I do enjoy visiting the various stores when I venture further abroad and generally enjoy my regular.

RichBlake
28-04-2009, 00:58

My gaming club is the same though, there will always be arguments between players and people will always make stupid comments. Hell we started a 500 point league because every challenged each other to make cheesy 500 point lists.

The difference is after you get to know everyone the arguments happen less and are less vindictive and everyone gets used to the daft stuff that happens. It's hard to do that at a local store as so many people go.

C) Employees constantly trying to sell me stuff (they are probably on commission.)

Eh? I can't speak for your store but this is the extent of having stuff being "sold" to me:

Manager: You haven't read Gaunt's Ghosts?
Me: Nope, the whole "look at us we are awesome guardsmen" thing doesn't appeal to me
Manager: Tell you what, I'll sell you this book [the Omnibus with the first three books] and if you read the first book of the three and don't like it I'll give you a refund.
Me: Hmm you're on.

[5 days later I had read all three books and I did like them enough to keep the book]

Manager: You don't use foundation paints?
Me: Nope, I get on fine with normal paints
Manager: Here, take a hobbit and go use the foundation paints
[5 minutes later]
Me: Actually that's really good, thin colours like red and yellow are a breeze to paint afterwords!

[I now own foundation paints in light grey (for white and light colours), blue and red]

Seriously, my staff sound amazing after hearing some of the stuff that goes on in stores, either that are people whine too much.

D) I sort of felt like an ass when I was reading the new Codex and people were jostling to read it next.

Meh, I've been a Guard player since before most of them started the hobby (at the store) therefore anyone who wants to read the codex can bloody wait.

Seriously comments like that annoy me. I started the hobby when I was 13, sure I was "mature for my age" (something young kids use all the time to defend themselves) but I was still a kid.

Personally when I see kids I see them as players to mould and shape into the gamers of tomorrow. Little timmy with his space marines just wants to have fun, teach them the subtleties of the game, interact with them instead of shunning them. Most kids look up to the older players, hell I know I did.

Ageist comments like that really annoy me, most the real ******** I've met in the hobby are 20+, the difference between them and the kids is that while the kids can be just as annoying sometimes they don't necessarily know any better.

I.E. when I was reading the Codex feeling like a complete ******* the people were complaining about how strong squadrons of Leman Russes will be, while I was telling them it wasn't really that OP. But obviously they didn't listen and kept their opinion that z0m6 i r never pl3y imperel goord playor cuz of powar gamr, meanwhile I was wondering what the hell a power-gamer is.

Meh, then glove slap them and tell them to use Imperial Guard with a leman russ squadron and tear it apart with a squad with Krak grenades. Then say "See, I told you so". Or call in the staff, they are usually really savvy (or they are at my store) and they noticed squadrons had massive downsides but also have good sides.

Btw, randomly calling kids 'maggots' when a term like 'annoying kids' was available does not make for good impressions regarding your character :p

I agree, if I could remove one thing from the hobby it would be ageist remarks like that.

Saying all this though I like to avoid the place, not because I dislike kids or adults or human interaction, but because it's cramped and there aren't enough boards. My gaming club has two floors, can easily hold 30 people comftably and has 5 6x4 boards to use, instead of 2 6x4 boards and a 4x4 board. However I DO like to wander down there sometimes, show everyone how it's done ;)

jason_sation
28-04-2009, 01:03
I enjoy the staff at my local GW. They try to sell me stuff sure (I'm not that interested in White Dwarf, but they still try to sell me a subscription almost everytime I'm there), but they are really helpful with questions I have, and were super nice with introducing me to the regulars of the store to play games with.

101st Vostroyan
28-04-2009, 01:08
I personally love my nearby GW store...Like Ehlijen said, when you get to know the staff, they tend to stop selling stuff. I haven't been "sold" something in a couple of years...and I've only been in the hobby for 4...

Calling kids maggots is a pretty mean thing to say.They look up to the older players and respect them. You are just giving them a bad impression and they will end up becoming jerks themselves

Donblas
28-04-2009, 01:16
I think calling the kids maggots is a bit harsh i mean poor maggots what did they ever do to you to be compared to children. I dont mind young gamers but I do get annoyed by random little kids running around the store unsupervised. They are evil one has even run around a corner and hit me in the danglies with the top of his head it hurt a lot.

DaSpaceAsians
28-04-2009, 01:22
My old GW used to be a good place since the staff was amazing and never pressured anyone into buying stuff, but advise you what was best for your army and why. The players were either cool people, smart kids, dumb kids with no will to learn and spoiled brats and the arguments were usually due to one idiot bragging about how much his army was awesome and tough and us telling him to shut up. As for playing space it wasn't so good since they had one 6x4 and 2 4x4 but it was a start. As an added bonus, there was a beauty salon next to us that always filled.

Nicha11
28-04-2009, 01:23
My GW store is great, but maybe i'm just fortunate.

Why would you discriminate against people based on their age?
You are playing with little toy models! Do you think that models are an adults only hobby??

Cane
28-04-2009, 01:32
I'm 22 nowadays but when I first got into the hobby as a teen, I did find that there was a lot of tension or some kind of animosity between a group of teens and a group of the older gamers (surprising enough the owners were in the same group and flat out never even introduce/acknowledge themselves to our regular weekly visits). Now its the most popular tabletop store in town but I'm not sure how I'd feel going back hah.

The few that weren't socially defunct and actually played against some of us seemed all right; but gamers as a whole can be one hell of a crowd to be around in. Gaming fuels our natural competitive drive and for many gamers it brings about negative qualities. One of my pet peeves are the time-old discussions when a gamer is talking about what he'd do in a hypothetical situation only to be argued against by a guy presenting what he'd do differently to win, etc.

Best bet? Just game with friends and friendly friends of friends.

cool0001
28-04-2009, 01:37
I like my local GW. Never had any arguments, never been forced into buying stuff and the staff are nice. Though I see your point about the kids some are nice (one lent me his FW BloodLetter) but others are devils in disguise ( one time I had my defiler and was plying against a beginer. He got out his ruler thing that you get in assault on black reach and whacked the chaos star off the top :(). What age are these "maggots"?

40kdhs
28-04-2009, 01:52

I am forced to just crawl into my little cave, light a lamp and paint my guys until I need a new product, then I browse for about 3 minutes and run away with the box.
I know the manager fairly well, he seems pretty cool, but the employees annoy me by sometimes over-exaggerating how good something is.

Any other store haters out there?

This GW local store is run poorly and the manager should be reprimanded. Why?

Because they should tell the parents to stop their kids from running around so that nobody can hit them or stuffs can fall on top of them. When a new codex comes out, everybody should take turn and read it instead of sharing the same book at the same time. I don't like people breathing on my necks. I'm not sure if this store has any event during the day and weekend.

Talos
28-04-2009, 02:07
I dont mind my local GW I have gotten use to them trying to sell me stuff and if you say that you are fine they normally go away.
The only thing I dont like but its probably my fault, is I go to the store once a week on monday to do some painting as i dont have room at uni. So I am there every monday and have been for like 4 months and I always say hello and talk to the staff but they never remember my name and also treat me likes it my first time in the store. Maybe if I went to there game nights it would be better.
I have never been to a game night at a GW, how are they run ? Do you just turn up and hope there are people to play are they run ok or does it get a bit crazy ?

I have only had one problem with kids and that was when I was painting my forgeworld Traitor guards, I went to go have a look at the CSM & IG codex as I was look for some good painting ideas and when I turned around there where two kids picking up my models and looking at them. Now I dont mind people looking but ask before you pick them up, also they have wet paint on them which got smudged so I had to repaint bits of them.

Quade Collins
28-04-2009, 02:59
I have had good and bad experiences with GW stores, heck i used to be an employee. As a staffer its your job to sell people stuff. It means your manager makes more if he exceeds his quota. Outside of that most staffers are decent, unless they are new. The new ones will try to sell you stuff to show that they deserve to be staffers. If you go often enough and talk to the staff you find that most of them are actually pretty decent.

I go to a bunker and sadly as a result i know how the kids there can be. Alot of them are spoiled and feel that they have the right to do as they please. Then some of the kids are actually decent kids who just want to play and look at awesome models.

As to looking at a new book, your turn is your turn. If you really need to see it for a half hour you are not being fair. I do find alot of people like to start pissing contests and just make rude comments about each other cause they can, and most of the time i have hung out with other guys we do make fun of each other. Maybe its just my friends who are jerks and i got used to it...

If i had other good options to play at outside a GW store i would, but i don't and i will keep going to the bunker for as long as its there.

VerifiablySane
28-04-2009, 08:21

Amusingly though - if you hadn't been in a GW, how would you have had a look at a (presumably) pre-release codex (especially without having actually paid for it first)?

BigJon
28-04-2009, 09:04
I've been in a hand full of shops in the past dozen or so years.

If I find myself on the road with a GW in the city I try and stop in.
They are pretty much the same, busy on the weekends, dead
the rest of the time (from what I've seen). Having been involved
in the GW hobby for a long time I know right want I'm looking
for, grab and go. If someone ask me if I need help and they always do
(which is what retail is all about) I just say thanks, but no, I know what
I'm looking for and that ends that.

Never be interested in a game in a store other then the Battle Bunker, not
enough room and not to keen or attending events in a GW shop for the
same reason. GW stores are a good place to introduce new players to
the hobby, after that go find a good store to set yourself up for a good time.

genestealer_baldric
28-04-2009, 09:07
i semi aggree i useally head in for the evenings for vets nights etc but the staff are all kool even the black shirt :eek: ;) and they are all very freindly and helpfull.

There are 3 kinds of people in our Gw the older longstanding vets, the younger normal kids and the brats lucky we have mainly the 1st two sets and the 3 set only are around at the weekends and holidays. i dont even contemplate going into gw at the weekend becuase of the tons of hyperactive little kids who think they own the store and by rights you. but if you can go in during the week or evenings its a nice place.

Whitehorn
28-04-2009, 09:16
Visit a few times, talk to people there, find out the regulars.

I went a just a few times to my local and am now on first name basis with all the staff, get offered tea etc. They don't try to sell me stuff at all - well maybe superglue :)

Just talk to people rather than being resistant. It's their job to sell, but they're human too.

hawo0313
28-04-2009, 09:26
I starting to go to my GW store regularly I like it there sometimes it can be annoying and there are arguements between players but I find that happens in most places you go but I find it fun to listen to the discussions and arguements whcih is why I like this forum.

parus_ater
28-04-2009, 09:39
Opinions are like a***holes - Everyone's got one.

Daniel36
28-04-2009, 09:48
I understand your sentiment, ehlijen, but the answer is quite simple.

Don't go there!

I never EVER go to the nearest GW store, because I find the staff and people that regularly go there beyond annoying. That, and there is an independent retailer like right around the corner. Go look for an independent GW seller... Chances are, they even have a cool club on whatever night being organized... Ours does (I organize it! >_<).

So go look for that. Or even better, create a club at home or some community center... No pressure!

Thud
28-04-2009, 09:53
I've only been to an actual GW shop once, Clayton St (?) in Newcastle some time ago, and I found the experience to be very enjoyable. The staff were very friendly and even toned down their Geordie accents for the young foreign onomatopoeia unused to such vast amounts of 40k stuff much cheaper than home. :)

Corrode
28-04-2009, 09:59
I've only been to an actual GW shop once, Clayton St (?) in Newcastle some time ago, and I found the experience to be very enjoyable. The staff were very friendly and even toned down their Geordie accents for the young foreign onomatopoeia unused to such vast amounts of 40k stuff much cheaper than home. :)

I've now got this image of a bunch of Geordie Orks screaming HOWAY THE LADS as they charge in. Thanks Thud!

Spider-pope
28-04-2009, 10:04
When it comes to GW stores, you mileage will definitely vary. When it comes to heavy selling, the staff have no choice since its part of their job description and if they dont they get pulled up on it. However some do it better than others. Some dont know how to do it without pressuring you, others let you know about the release but know enough to give you some space if you arent really interested.

Personally i cannot fault my local store, GW Grimsby. I respect any store staff who take the time to actually get to know their regular customers and put some effort into making sure they leave the store satisfied- the best example of which is when Horus Rising first came out and everywhere was out of copies. Rather than just say sorry try again in a few weeks, the current manager gave me his copy free of charge. Now thats how to build customer loyalty, and its why i make the effort to buy stuff from there rather than get it online for cheaper. The customer service i receive at the store is more than worth the 10% extra i have to pay.

I'd say give your GW a try on a weekday, without the munchkins, and see how you get on. If you dont like the store, then try and find a LGS to support. Theres bound to be one somewhere near you where you will find an environment enjoyable to play in.

mughi3
28-04-2009, 10:04
I play at a LGS and there is a GW store about 3 miles or so up the road. the reasons i do not play there-

1.cramped-most GW stores are small with little table space
2.no bathroom access-nuff said
3.un-supervised gamestore kids. i've run into it more there than at my LGS
4.short storte hours. they close at 8pm, way to early for a gamer.
5.i can only play GW games there. since i also play battletech, infinity, B5 wars aside from gothic and 40K i like to be able to play a variety of things.

ChrisMurray
28-04-2009, 10:06
I've never understood the complaint people have about GW staff trying to sell you GW products when you go into a GW store. Have you not noticed when you go into other shops those shops staff try to sell you that shops products? I know GW like to call their stores "Hobby stores", but the main part of a "Hobby store" is not the "hobby" part, it's the "store" part. They're not there to provide you with a free place to go play games, they have this free place to play games\paint so that they can sell their niche market product to their niche customers. It's a very good way of getting people you know buy\are interested in your product into one place to sell them more of your product.

As for the arguments between players, there's always disagreements between players thats something to be expected. What you might have thought of as a full blown argument may to the two players have been something not so serious between friends, but from the outside it looks worse.

My local GW is great, friendly staff, the younger players are very polite and yes they try to sell me stuff but thats what they're there for.

I know alot of people find the younger players can be annoying at times, but they are the future of this hobby. If you treat them with respect they'll learn to treat you with respect.

Jedi152
28-04-2009, 10:13
Rather than just say sorry try again in a few weeks, the current manager gave me his copy free of charge.
And is totally unfair to everyone else.

I've been going to the same GW for 10 years, and the staff have never bothered to extend more than basic courtesy to me. None have ever asked my name, or done anything for me.

Yes, i do shower regularly and dress sensibly. I guess i'm just unapproachable.

Leogun_91
28-04-2009, 10:14
I really love my closest GW store...at first I liked how helpfull the staff was and the fact that it was filled with warhammer. Now I know the staff by name (and they know me) I have made friends with a lot of the regulars and consider it a great place to be in everyway (except that you canīt use the toilet anyway you want as some kid did something bad there and the other stores that uses it complained).

At weekends it can be a little to crowded (youīd better wait outside before it opens to be sure to get a place at the painting table.

I donīt mind the "Maggots" at all some of the "Semi-Maggots" can be annoying when they use misread rules to own the "Maggots" when playing but then I stand by the table and tells him every little thing the "Semi-Maggot" does wrong. It is annoying when they pick up models without asking but I always tell them that they should ask first when they do so. The "Maggots" are often new to the hobby and doesnīt mind to take advice from older players and at a few times I have had lines formed to get help with their armylists (staff can ofcourse help but they have alot to do during weekends).

I would be very,very sad would my local GW close down, it was my true gate into the hobby and I know those that work there.

Urza
28-04-2009, 10:18
I've never understood the complaint people have about GW staff trying to sell you GW products when you go into a GW store. Have you not noticed when you go into other shops those shops staff try to sell you that shops products?

Not to the same extent that GW stores do. I hate going in there by myself, I can feel the staff 'weighing me up' and then they swoop in for the hard sell on the latest thing like a bunch of vultures. Its not just the one nearby to me, every GW store I've visited does it, which is why I visit them as little as possible.

A tactic I find useful is to bring my girlfriend into the store with me. The staff tend to leave us alone then for some reason. Not sure why but it works!! :)

parus_ater
28-04-2009, 10:21
Not to the same extent that GW stores do. I hate going in there by myself, I can feel the staff 'weighing me up' and then they swoop in for the hard sell on the latest thing like a bunch of vultures. Its not just the one nearby to me, every GW store I've visited does it, which is why I visit them as little as possible.

A tactic I find useful is to bring my girlfriend into the store with me. The staff tend to leave us alone then for some reason. Not sure why but it works!! :)

You've obviously never been to a British electrical shop! :p I swear if you walk through Comet and happen to stand still for even half a second, some school leaver will try to sell you what you've stopped in front of.

Spider-pope
28-04-2009, 10:23
You've obviously never been to a British electrical shop! :p I swear if you walk through Comet and happen to stand still for even half a second, some school leaver will try to sell you what you've stopped in front of.

And if its anything like the Comet near me, they'll do it even if they have absolutely no knowledge of how said product even works.

Jedi152: may be me being dense, but same store as in same store as me, or just you have gone to your local store for the last 10 years.

The Clairvoyant
28-04-2009, 10:31
My local store (Canterbury) is nice. The manager there is friendly, as are all of the staff. Yes i've been in there when it was 'hard-sell' time, but they seem to have toned that down a lot in the last year or so. They know me in there now and know that i will buy what i want and usually in vast quantities at a time.

Much to my wifes dismay, the staff in there know her too (the manager will even say 'hi' to her in the street :D) and will usually offer her a cup of tea if she's there with me.

Last week i asked her to pop in to the store to get a few bits for me. It was half-term and the store was full of kids.
She must love me!

However, she did say that she no longer gets harassed by staff when she goes in on her own

rodmillard
28-04-2009, 10:42
My closest GW store (I refuse to call it local, as it involves a 35 minute train journey to get there) I now avoid like the plague. Its not that the staff are unfriendly, its just that its across the road from the 6th form college - with all the associated problems of spotty teenagers hanging around because (a) they aren't actually interested in the game but their mates are and they have nowhere better to go, or (b) they are interested in the game to the point of clinical obsession - which is far worse.

Mostly, I get my FLMS (friendly local MODEL shop) to order whatever models I need, and play at home or travel 25 minutes the other way to a gaming club which meets over a pub and therefore has to have a strict over 18s policy. When I feel the urge to go to a GW "hobby centre" I go to the store in Newport because I have known the manager for years and he knows my family (including wife and rugrats) - and doesn't mind me lurking in the LOTR section while they visit her vast extended family.

VeriNasti
28-04-2009, 10:44
Don't you hate it when your models are touched when they are drying are stolen by the kids?

Jedi152
28-04-2009, 10:50
Jedi152: may be me being dense, but same store as in same store as me, or just you have gone to your local store for the last 10 years.
I meant my local, which i assume is different to yours...

Crube
28-04-2009, 11:13
Hmmm, Friar Lane or WHW, Jedi?

I got on really well with the guys in the Friar Lane store - they never asked my name (until just before i left for Aberdeen...) but they were always great guys to be around. I was a kind of regular, they let me read stuff early, asked me for advice and in return, I trusted their opinion.

WHW... the staff change too often to get too much of a rapport built up, but then the manager the last few times I was in used to be my part timer when I worked in GW derby, so I always got on well...

In general I find GW stores too small to have a decent game in, except those that have games rooms (Aberdeen has a decent games room) and WHW obviously...

Shogunate
28-04-2009, 12:50
The staff at my local GW are a mixed bunch. One really nice guy, one really really really deeply annoying human being, and the other two or so...meh, non entities. I go in to the GW only when I need to buy something and I cant wait for it to be delivered, or I need paint/ brushes/ glue. They always without fail pounce on me straight away and try to sell me anything and everything. I understand, though, its their job.

As for the crowd, mainly young children during peak times, during middle of weekdays just a few sad looking individuals who are always there.

Honestly, I'd never consider playing anyone outside my circle of friends; no real need to.

Koryphaus
28-04-2009, 13:06
The thing I dislike most about GW shops is the *constant* BO that infuses the shop..

I usually just tell staffers that I don't want to buy that model, or that box or whatever, and I don't go to GW to play, so yeah, its mainly the smell that I dislike.

Hood
28-04-2009, 13:43
Yeap... I tend to avoid my local GW store for the same reasons more or less...

I usually play back at home in a shop that just has GW stuff and some tables with scenery to play... No staff there to try to sell me things, no kids (somehow there is a more mature audience there and most of them are metalheads! :evilgrin:), people are not bored because they come there only when they want to play :p and even if there is an argument, it's between friends or people who know each other, so there are no harsh feelings... It's just the heat of the battle! :rolleyes:

But yeah... Local GW store here is pretty much like any other I've read through this thread. Some of the staff though are cool! :)

CyberC1
28-04-2009, 14:04
You know I've had a really positive experience with the Games Workshop down here where I am. The people there are the typically older mature crowd - rules discussions are worked out without real problems, and the staffers that are there are really nice and personable. I guess I just got really lucky.. :)

EDIT: At the same time though, I've had sour experiences elsewear :( ie: in Canada where I used to live...

Hamarpain
28-04-2009, 15:13
In Finland, thereīs only about 3 places to play near Helsinki. Two of them so out of reach for me, so that only leaves Helsinki GW. Which is located nicely between school and the place i used work. That equals lots of time spent there.

If you donīt mind swarms of kids playing with unpainted/shoddy painted models, itīs okay. The staff there quite friendly, i even got some nice parts from them for my conversions.

If it werenīt for GW in Helsinki, i wouldnīt play. Driving 2 hours just for a few games isnīt really fun. 30 mins, that i can handle. Maybe itīs different for people that have choices. Just remember, the rest of us donīt really canīt go anywhere else...

Jedi152
28-04-2009, 15:17
Hmmm, Friar Lane or WHW, Jedi?

I got on really well with the guys in the Friar Lane store - they never asked my name (until just before i left for Aberdeen...) but they were always great guys to be around. I was a kind of regular, they let me read stuff early, asked me for advice and in return, I trusted their opinion.

WHW... the staff change too often to get too much of a rapport built up, but then the manager the last few times I was in used to be my part timer when I worked in GW derby, so I always got on well...

In general I find GW stores too small to have a decent game in, except those that have games rooms (Aberdeen has a decent games room) and WHW obviously...
Warhammer World, which sadly has a high staff turnover rate. The only staff members who have been there a long time have been promoted, one to 'Eavy Metal (fairly unapproachable and elitist) and one to Staff Training (all round star).

Crube
28-04-2009, 15:23
Staff Training guy... was that Chris? Slightly chunky guy, with red hair?

He was always a decent bloke. At least WHW has enough space so that everyone has their own space, and allows th BO problem to dissipate ;) Plenty of tables too.

Earthbeard
28-04-2009, 15:27
The only issues I've ever had with a GW store, is over here in the U.K they are quite small, in the summer, they get mighty hot, making game nights uncomfortably sweaty (and aromatic for all).

Everything else is purely situational and subjective.

Crube
28-04-2009, 15:34
The only issues I've ever had with a GW store, is over here in the U.K they are quite small, in the summer, they get mighty hot, making game nights uncomfortably sweaty (and aromatic for all).

Everything else is purely situational and subjective.

True

Anyone know the GW Derby store?

I used to work there (many moons ago) and we got 71 kids in on one Thursday games night.

One of the most unpleasant experiences of my life... the overcrowding and the smell were awful. I would imagine that anyone entering the store for the first time would have a similarly negative impression of GW stores.

It certainly put me off attending a Games Night after I left.

WhiteKnight
28-04-2009, 15:37
I like my GW store. I've gone there for about 3 years. ITs a good place to play but like most of you said, they try to sell you stuff or get you to join the Academy (the class that teaches you everything about the 3 games) which I never did. I sometimes give in to it if I've already spent like $90. I sometimes just say 'ok' if ?I just want them to leave me alone and let me do my hobbying. They look at some of the stuff I work extremely hard on for painting and they say, "did you learn how to do this in the academy?" I reply no since I never was in that class and they say "This is amazing!" I leave to go get a bite to eat, then when I return, they say "You should really start the academy" and I just go like 'ok'.

Makes no sense to me why I would need it and that is why many kids my age and lower (i'm pretty young compared to most of you) end up spending.....$2500 in 3 years on toy soldiers, paint, glue, templates, movement trays, and Hobby Tools.

Jedi152
28-04-2009, 15:47
Staff Training guy... was that Chris? Slightly chunky guy, with red hair?

He was always a decent bloke. At least WHW has enough space so that everyone has their own space, and allows th BO problem to dissipate ;) Plenty of tables too.
Yep, Chris Pritchard. Really nice guy and such a good manager they got him on board to train other managers.

Crube
28-04-2009, 16:18
I'm glad he's been recognised for his abilities.

I remember he nearly lost his job at GW derby as his Uni studies were getting in the way. He kacked it it IIRC to concentrate on getting more money... He's such a decent bloke and I'm sure he's never regretted it. He is a genuine GW through and through guy.

And nice with it too :D

Oguleth
28-04-2009, 16:41
Kinda mixed feelings about the local store. When it opened, it was pretty nice as the other shops that sold GW stuff was a bit hopeless when it came to having everything available (one of them kept having just command groups for the infantry units in metal for example), and having gaming tables and whatnot was wicked. And there wasn't really a lot of aggressive selling (might be because I was there a lot, and they knew what I was gonna get anyway).

In later years though, every time I have entered, even the time I was shelling out Ģ200 or so for a complete army, they were trying to sell me more stuff, like a Baneblade (for a CSM army, when I said I hadn't even played 40k in 4-5 years...), and was pretty damn annoying.

Lately though, the staffers have been more friendly and don't stick to trying to drown you in stuff you don't need after they understand what you are there for. But since it tends to be short on blisters and the like, making it no different than my usual supplier of gaming material, I seldom go there except if I know they will have something I can't get anywhere else.

As for playing there, I tried it a bit when they opened, but the store being so small, it got too crowded and stuff like that to make me tempted to continue going there. If it wasn't I wouldn't have minded playing there however.

electricwolf
28-04-2009, 16:45
I love my local GTA(toronto) stores. I've been to all of them and play/buy stuff in three of them on a regular basis.

I find it kinda funny when a new employee approaches me and asks me "do you play" and my answer is yes i have 20,000 points of 40K, 3500pts of fantasy, 1500 pts of gondor." he usually walks away at that point and leaves me alone.

Otherwise i find the guys in my area very friendly and nice.

Yes there was once at the Toronto bunker were a group of 4 kids playing next to me and a friend, were being a real pain but for the most part we ignored them and eventually then stopped their game and left.

I think i've had a few models disappear but i usually assume i left them behind or my friend picked them up.

40kdhs
28-04-2009, 18:31
I don't know if anybody notices about a GW store. Whenever you buy something from them, GW knows how much you spend at their store because they keep the record. Yes, you can ask them about who spend the most money at the store and they will tell you if they want. How do I know?

When I went to a local GW store a year ago, there were 3 or 4 players talking about who was the BIGGEST spender and one guy thought that he was but another guy said no. The only way for them to find out was to ask a GW employee about it. A high school kid was the BIGGEST spender. It's amazing and surprising, isn't it?

What i'm saying is GW employees won't bother you much if they know that you don't spend a lot of money there.

boogle
28-04-2009, 18:46
I like my new local store, the only thing they try and do is try and get me involved in the campaigns and hobby activities that they are putting on, no selling

CraftworldsRus
28-04-2009, 19:26
I have lately been bothered by a new trend in GW shops, and I wonder if it is company wide, Regional(US Midwest) or just a store issue. Lately they have been holding things like a "Battleforce Tournament" in which, to play, you had to purchase a new battleforce and HQ unit. Now, I already have at least one Battleforce from every army I play, why I can't I enter using those models? The one army I am working is Steel Legion IG, and guess what? No battleforce(not that I am surprised by that).

Later that week, we are told about an upcoming painting competition, which involves painting a IG Valk, and another which you need to paint a full platoon with command and heavy weapons squad. I find this to be rather suck for me, I have a full unpainted Steel Legion Platoon with heavy weapons, which I CAN'T ENTER because I am not buying it new for the contest. Now, I love painting contests, but for me to buy all the needed models new puts me around 160.00 USD. I just don't like that I can't use what I already have, and it doesn't feel quite fair.

Wicksy
28-04-2009, 19:39
I rather like my local shop (Colchester). The staff are friendly and a good laugh (and there's a girl who works there that's pretty hot :D ). They try and sell you stuff but that is their job ;)

Yes, its full of kids but i was once that kid some 15 odd years back. I used to stay well clear when i found out they'd chaged the rules. It's because of a quickie game in a GW i got on the road back to the hobby so i cant really complain :cool:

Frontier
28-04-2009, 20:11
My local shop kicks three different kinds of ass. The patrons are all pretty cool too. I couldn't ask for anything better.

ok...maybe their discount.

Urza
29-04-2009, 08:41

What with me living in England I'm pretty sure I have been :)

All of the Comets, Curries & PC Worlds I have been to are nowhere near as bad as GW. I visited the GW on Oxford Street in London once. There were 5 staff and 2 members of the public in there (it was mid-afternoon on a weekday).

Within the space of 10 minutes I was approached and given the usual 'GW Sales spiel' by each of the 5 members of staff ("Hey there, what are you looking for? What army do you collect? Oh cool, have you seen the latest REALLY expensive model for that army?").

In the end I got so annoyed with their constant pestering that I left the shop. Thats why I dislike GW stores so much.

d0dgeuk
29-04-2009, 09:25
My local GW store, the guys are really friendly. I am a regular there. They all know what lists I collect and there is no badgering except to taunt me if my deathwing get spanked. That said I have been into other GW stores around the country and yes you do get someone coming up to you and asking the preset questions. I don't think it is any different to a lot of other specialist shops. I used to work in an outdoor store where company policy said that we had to approach each customer in the store and greet them, ask them if they were looking for anything in particular and then find out what aspect of outdoors they were interested in, climbing, mountain walking, letterboxing etc and then try and steer them towards a purchase in that area, if a customer got missed we got a rollocking from management. The GW store guys are doing a job and most likely following company policy, granted it can be somewhat annoying if you just want to browse but if you build up a rapport with your local store then that hopefully goes away.

ChrisMurray
29-04-2009, 09:35
(and there's a girl who works there that's pretty hot :D ).

Really, might have to make a special trip to see this! :D

taffeh
29-04-2009, 09:39
I enjoy my local GW, its fun, everyone gets on well, we all socalize outside the hobby and we recognize that the kids will only become us.

The guys are only doing their job when trying to sell you things and I'd be mortified to find my local store closed down cause of sales being poor.

Maybe if you have issues with your local game store you should bring it up with the Manager there, instead of posting your opinion on the Internet? As then he/she may be able to turn that 'experience' around, or even worse, you may look back in a 6 months / a year and find that you DO go there and this net post will still exist?

electricwolf
29-04-2009, 12:07
I rather like my local shop (Colchester). The staff are friendly and a good laugh (and there's a girl who works there that's pretty hot :D ). They try and sell you stuff but that is their job ;)

Say this isn't so , a female who works in the retail side of GW(faint). I wish my local stores would hire women it might cut down on some of the testosterone.

I was actually told once by someone who worked for GW that women never get hired for retail positions.

Grindgodgrind
29-04-2009, 12:25
My local store is the same as Taffeh's, and I think it's great. I often mock the manager with faux comments about 'powerselling', which he loves. We've actually got a decent number of kids who aren't just generic GW kids, they're getting better at modelling, painting and playing.

Oh, and a big shout out to Geordie, Ross and co at GW Portsmouth. Great bunchaguys.

Ravensgard
29-04-2009, 13:13
Well, I don't have a hobby store nearby (:-( ) and have to play the same opponent (no offense, good games) but we are dying for some new opponents. I wish it was more popular around here.

CyberC1
29-04-2009, 15:15
There's a girl/woman.. female. that works in the GW around where I am, she's really nice too. Actually most people that work in GW where I am are nice. 'Specially the non-mall stores, the staff are very receptive to veteran gamers.