PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Wraiths

hendybadger
28-04-2009, 00:24
After collecting Tyranids for a long time i have decided to start another force.
With my love of MCs, my hate of vehicles and massed troops Eldar Wraiths seemed the way forward.
Army will roughly be

Farseer + warlocks
2x 10 Wraithguard
3x Wraithlord
Warp spiders
Swooping hawks

Is there anything i need to realise about how they play?
Or any advice on playing with or against a force like this?

Hope someone can help

Threeshades
28-04-2009, 01:11
After collecting Tyranids for a long time i have decided to start another force.
With my love of MCs, my hate of vehicles and massed troops Eldar Wraiths seemed the way forward.
Army will roughly be

Farseer + warlocks
2x 10 Wraithguard
3x Wraithlord
Warp spiders
Swooping hawks

Hope someone can help

Unlike most eldar armies you will be terribly slow moving. And the Hawks wont cut it. At anything. Ever. Better to get more Warp spiders instead.

But the rest will be nicely resilient. Maxed Wraithguard squads are excellent objective holders.

Quade Collins
28-04-2009, 03:02
Of course don't forget the warlocks for the wraithguard. A 5+ cover save as you slowly walk towards your opponents in the open is a gods send. and not having to take wraithsight checks. I know you are not a big fan of vehicles, but how do you feel about walkers over the hawks?

Blinder
28-04-2009, 05:17
Or... anything. The hawks are beautiful models and they look fabulous on paper.

Which is about what they're made of once anything looks at them. The grenade pack thing sounds nice and all, but I don't think I've ever seen a game where they have failed to disappoint the person playing them, let alone measure up to other options.

Vote Kantor
28-04-2009, 05:25
What are the problems with swooping hawks?, i have never seen them in action.

@op, that army would look AWESOME on the table. Big, and hard

EDIT: god, i just realised how bad that last bit sounded (damb sick mind)

carldooley
28-04-2009, 05:29
WEDIT: god, i just realised how bad that last bit sounded (damb sick mind)

just ensure that you never use the initials for Drop Pods:D

Thud
28-04-2009, 05:34
I'll quote myself from the last time you posted this thread; three days ago:

Welcome to the Iyanden fold, Hendybadger.

I suggest reading through this (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193696) thread for some advice as well as checking out the Eldar Tactica thread.

I run a 1,500 points army pretty similar to what you described in the first post, with two scoring WG squads, three Wraithlords, an Avatar, a Farseer and three Jetbikes, and it's doing pretty well. :)

In addition I'd like to point out that as your Spiders and Hawks are your only low toughness units on the table they'll die to bolters with nothing else to shoot at alarmingly fast.

Hellebore
28-04-2009, 05:38
What are the problems with swooping hawks?, i have never seen them in action.

I think that's your pro tip right there.:p

@op, that army would look AWESOME on the table. Big, and hard

EDIT: god, i just realised how bad that last bit sounded (damb sick mind)

Yeah, makes no sense. Everyone knows eldar are nancies. They can be soft and squishy, but big and hard is right out.

Hellebore

Vote Kantor
28-04-2009, 05:43
I think that's your pro tip right there.:p

Yeah, makes no sense. Everyone knows eldar are nancies. They can be soft and squishy, but big and hard is right out.

Hellebore

Unless i misunderstood, your saying that a list containing an avatar, three wraithlords and two full squads of wraithguard are soft? i disagree.

Hellebore
28-04-2009, 05:46
I think you misunderstood your sick mind setting off my sick mind for some cross sickination. (that was paraphrasing Austin Powers btw).

Hellebore

Vote Kantor
28-04-2009, 05:47
aah, right, dont worry then. <plots an even better and more (IMO) subtle sick paraphrase>...

Beld
28-04-2009, 07:51
Army will roughly be

Farseer + warlocks
2x 10 Wraithguard
3x Wraithlord
Warp spiders
Swooping hawks

Hope someone can help

Hello.

I play a Iyanden themed army but I try to make it a bit competitive at least.

I don't field two wraithguard units because I feel necessary a dedicated farseer for this unit.

I field:

Seer Council on Jetbike. (1 Farseer, 6 Warlocks)
1 Farseer
10 Wraithguard+Spiritseer
3 Wraithlords, EML + Sword
5 Waywatchers

Griffin
28-04-2009, 08:50
I would perhaps Advise Dropping the hawks and 1 Squad of 10 Wraithguard for some Dire Avengers in a Serpent - You don't have anything that Can take hordes. You want a Solid core with some support elements.

The_Dragon_Rising
28-04-2009, 09:01
If your going to use two units of 10 WG then ive found that you need eldrad and a concealock in each squad; eldrad fortunes both units and they are nails. Whilst usually i am the avatars biggest fan this is the one kind of list where hes obsolete as his high toughness, armour, weapon range and speed are matched elsewhere and his fearless bubble does nothing useful.

The list also will lack in anti-tank until you reach the 12" range which means you must be running most the time unless your wraithlords have EML/BL.

1500pts will get you (which is in my experience the most solid wraith heavy list):

Eldrad 210
3 Wraithlords w/Swords 300
2*10 Wraithguard w/ConcealSeer 792
9 Warp Spiders 198

1500pts on the dot; the warp spiders head for a flank and take out low armour/toughness ranged targets which could threaten the wraithlords whilst the rest of the army runs full speed ahead, from experience i find you will rarely lose all your wraithguard if they remain fortuned throughout the game.

hendybadger
28-04-2009, 11:21
Thanks for all the advice. I dont really want to drop the Avatar becuse the FW one with spear looks so nice.
I think that this force might be a big go now and its going to look great on the table top. Even if it isnt a competitive list.
Now i just need to find some inspiration for my Wraithlord conversions.
Already have plans for a Warp Spider Exarch WL

borithan
28-04-2009, 16:55
Its going to cost quite a lot for quite a small army... Wraithguard are damn expensive.

Fable
28-04-2009, 18:59
I tend not to use Conceal on Wraithguard because of all the available cover in 5th edition. I find it better to give them Enhance. Just this last week my 10 strong unit of wraithguard absorbed a charge from a 10 strong Vanguard Veterans unit with two powerfists in it.

I tend to use a single Troops choice of the Wraithgaurd with Enhance and a nearby Wraithlord lending support and intimidation. The amount of fire this unit can absorb is rather impressive.