PDA

View Full Version : Storing GW models

Templar Ben
28-04-2009, 02:03
Does anyone know at what temp GW models start to have problems? I have many many boxes of GW models that I honestly just do not need right now. I was thinking of putting them in my attic but as the temp up there will get to about 150 at least and I don't know how cold in the winter, am I just destroying models?

I honestly don't know the safe range. They get shipped a lot so they must be exposed to some pretty extreme swings but I don't know how long they stay in those conditions.

Thanks.

spaint2k
28-04-2009, 02:49
If they're assembled, you might find they warp and separate at that temperature. Especially things like Epic miniatures which have been stuck on the long thin bases.

Unassembled, I'd still say you could still expect sprues to warp given long-term exposure.

The cold shouldn't do anything to them.

I suggest storing them in MY "attic" where the temperature range is much more stable.

Steve

Templar Ben
28-04-2009, 02:59
I am going to store boxes that are still wrapped in shrink wrap.

spaint2k
28-04-2009, 03:11
I think theminiaturespage.com would be an excellent place to pose this question. There are a lot of people there with years of experience at hording miniatures and you'll definitely get a decent answer to your question.

Steve

Jo Bennett
28-04-2009, 06:16
If they're going to be up there a long time, get a bale of loft insulation, put them all in a big box, and wrap the insulation around it, it'll keep out the worst of the heat and the cold.

Griefbringer
28-04-2009, 07:39
Problem with the insulation thing is that the boxes themselves have quite low heat capacity. In any case, the insulation will only slow down the temperature change inside it - so it will only work against short term shifts in temperature. That said, the shrink-wrapped boxes should have decent insulative properties themselves to begin with.

TheBigBadWolf
28-04-2009, 16:11
Does anyone know at what temp GW models start to have problems? I have many many boxes of GW models that I honestly just do not need right now. I was thinking of putting them in my attic but as the temp up there will get to about 150 at least and I don't know how cold in the winter, am I just destroying models?

I honestly don't know the safe range. They get shipped a lot so they must be exposed to some pretty extreme swings but I don't know how long they stay in those conditions.

Thanks.

You yanks with your temperature in Fahrenheit :p:D.

From google 150F is 65C!!!. I wouldnt like to keep my models in heat like that, especially prolonged heat.

Out of curiosity why is your attic so hot :confused:

Crube
28-04-2009, 16:16
I'd avoid extremes of heat for any length of time if possible.

I kept many many (many) models in my loft for a few years, and all were perfectly okay. They dealt with some quite low temps in the winter, and probably up to about 50C in summer.

I simply kept them ion big cardboard boxes in a pile near the cold water tank, covered with a black bin bag :D

Templar Ben
28-04-2009, 16:47

Because I live about 4 miles from the gates of Hell.

It is the Deep South.

Harry
28-04-2009, 21:24
It depends how long you intend to store it for.
I have found if you keep plastic long enough (regardless of temperature) it can go a bit brittle.
Obviously, I have been keeping some plastic a while but I have found even stuff as recent as plastic from the Ork/Empire boxed set has sometimes gone the same way.
The figures are still OK but you do have to be a bit more gentle with delicate parts when removing them from the sprue or converting.

Messiahnide
29-04-2009, 03:34

maybe he has some "special crops" up there?

Bookwrak
29-04-2009, 05:50
Attics, being right under the roof, covering most of the house, and not being intended for frequent use, are not well ventilated and have the hot sun pounding down across their entire area all day long. Heat builds up.

Duke Georgal
29-04-2009, 16:07

It is the Deep South.

From a fellow Deep South resident:

Don't do it!

I put some stuff in my attic (well, it is the Florida version of an attic), and all the plastic bases and vehicles warped horribly. Actual figures of soldiers faired OK, it seems flat pieces are the most likely to deform.

Emperor's Grace
29-04-2009, 21:44
I wouldn't suggest it either.

I had some figs in a workshop for a few months that hit similar temps due to the large windows/facings/lack of insulation/ 90+ weather/etc...

The plastic in the unopened kits went soft enough for the sprues to indent one another and the bases all warped. I had to toss them.

Duke's right though, the assembled and painted one's in my GW case came through without incident for some reason. Admittedly, 95% of them were my old pewter's.

I keep mine in the basement now. It may be a little damp down there in spring thaw but plastic bins and a wet vac keep it solved easier than putting AC out to the workshop.

Is that Sunnydale, then?

Templar Ben
29-04-2009, 21:51
Thanks all. I found a different solution. I just didn't want to have a lot of models ruined because of a move.

sic
29-04-2009, 21:55
I melted the flat panles on an assembled Basilisk sitting on a window ledge between the window and a closed blind over summer a few years back but that was direct sunlight and an Australian summer....Still i wouldnt imagine the heat from that would have been more than 65 (probably more like 45-55) so i wouldnt risk it.

Edit: Ah your not doing it then, good call!

Pau1ie
01-05-2009, 08:20
One of my friends left a box of stuff on his patio for a week while he was moving during a heat wave (100+ temps) - two of the Leman Russ tanks are all warped & "puffy" now. On the bright side, they're gonna make cool terrain wreckage when we get around to painting them... :D

Skaven13
01-05-2009, 12:26
I would have to say not to do it as well. I left some of my Skaven in the car once, on a sunny summer afternoon, sitting on the back seat in a Plano case. I pulled them out, and a lot of the bases were warped, some of them even curled up almost in half (that was amusing). Learned my lesson for sure. I wouldn't suggest it.