PDA

View Full Version : Nerd rage -- do you have it? If so, how does it manifest itself!

Shogunate
28-04-2009, 13:02
I suffer from it, and I'm ashamed. But not in direct ways. I'm rarely hostile to people (sometimes, if they're doing something absolutely pisstaking, I'll pull a face and say "really? well, if you want to win like that go ahead")

If I'm losing a game for example, and I'm looking around for my codex in my living room and just can't find it (has a mind of its own) I'll flip out with profanities and start tearing the room apart until I find it, making out losing the codex is the worst thing to happen to any human being in the history of the world.

Or, if I roll 20 dice and get 16 1's and 2's (its happened, once, and if the dice gods are just, never again) my rage will manifest itself in deep silence, where I'm only capable of one word responses (sulking I suppose).

I tend to only really succumb to the black nerdrage when I'm losing through no fault of my own. I'm more than happy to lose a game when its because of my own faults. If my tactics r0xx0r and my dice rolls suxx0r, I feel cheated, and like I've wasted time thinking of good tactics when all that happens is I roll poorly.

Yeah, I know, endless justification. So do you suffer? How does your rage show itself? And if you dont suffer, whats the trick? How can I cure the rage?

Hood
28-04-2009, 13:50
I usually tend to go into the faul-mood mode when I play a game and I don't make many or any mistakes in tactics but my rolls are otherwordly... if there were zeros my rolls would be a binary code. :p

If that happens I get really upset and start saying things like: "Ok, I have lost from round 2..." Or "The game is over, you win! (athough I continue playing)"

Anyway I become a real jerk and I know it... I am just trying to fix it...! I just try to think that "**** happens" "tough luck" and "let's try to at least be competitive while we last" :D

When I lose to an interesting game thought (nice tactics, nice rolls) I tend to enjoy it no matter what. It's usually a close call and I enjoyed the game thoughout the rounds even if I lost! :)

Hypaspist
28-04-2009, 13:56
I don't think I get nerdrage, my friends might disagree, I know I am certainly quieter (not sulking) if I am getting beaten, and more ebullient if i am winning, however the trick to beat the dice sulks is to acknowledge a game where the dice go for you, and not just focus on when the dice intervened in a negative way.

I actually tend to have it in predictable patterns (please note these are all from the same pool of dice)
My Sisters Bolters shoot great, I mean really really good, their saves are excellent as well. Meanwhile their melta guns can't hit for toffee.
My Ravenwing roll generally very poor dangerous terrain tests, and below par armour saves, their shooting however, for all weapons, are close to levels where people might be justified in thinking I cheat (which i don't), they are just disgustingly good.
My Dark Angels are really average across the board, they started off giving me horrible horrible armour saves, now they are averaging out, possibly still below par.
My Deathwing, in my last game performed brilliantly, but prior to that were the balance of my dice luck (their 2+ save felt more like a 5+ at times!) it's not uncommon for me to take off 50-60% casualties from a squad of terminators where I have had to make saves.

Therefore in games when I win and my dice have been good, I acknowledge it, and it helps when i have a bum game, because I don't feel like the dice are against me, I just feel like they are collecting the Karma debt they have already racked up, I think I am still in credit actually, probably to the point where I deserve a game where all my dice come up 1. (I know my regular Eldar opponent would agree!)

As for losing stuff, this can be mitigated by having one (or a group of) set place(s) to place your stuff where you can always find it, that might be a little window into my OCD mind that you didn't need though, and may not work for you!

rossatdi
28-04-2009, 14:03
I tend to cause nerdrage rather than suffer from it. The accuracy of my battlecannons must be seen to be believed.

SylverClaw
28-04-2009, 14:15
I'll admit to taunting rage.

It only appears when an opponent decides to amuse themselves by being a douche, coming out with what they think are hilarious things to say. Such gems as “Oh that’s really going to help, good luck with that.” or “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

But oh so much more monumental is my rage when people stroke their own ego about their “uber” unit. Yes… great, you have terminators. Oh, look a special character. I don’t care, stop telling me how awesome it is and how it’ll kick my ass!

Oh yeah… one other thing that annoys me; starter box ruler whipping around. Not actually hitting with it, obviously, just people swishing them around like idiots because it makes a noise.

Much teeth grinding commences.

Losing I’m totally fine with. As a hardcore Guard infantry player I’m very much used to losing models by the score and watching my army run away… I actually find it more amusing than anything. In fact I find it hysterical when I get butchered – to the man – which has happened once or twice.

innerwolf
28-04-2009, 14:18
I usually tend to go into the faul-mood mode when I play a game and I don't make many or any mistakes in tactics but my rolls are otherwordly... if there were zeros my rolls would be a binary code. :p

If that happens I get really upset and start saying things like: "Ok, I have lost from round 2..." Or "The game is over, you win! (athough I continue playing)"

Anyway I become a real jerk and I know it... I am just trying to fix it...! I just try to think that "**** happens" "tough luck" and "let's try to at least be competitive while we last" :D

It exactly happens to me! It was like reading about my last game ^^
I understand you Hood.

starlight
28-04-2009, 14:20
Uhm, no... Really folks, nerdy/geeky stuff isn't worth getting upset over... :eyebrows:

kurac
28-04-2009, 14:26
Go out more often, Have fun, Play with friends, Have your games as a social event, play loud music, invite some girls and have a mini party and have a game or two on the side, this is the only way i play...more fun then ripping eachothers heads off.

This is the first time i see a nerd admitting his rage problem, i respect that, you are very self-critical that's good...

Some tips:
Get a karaoke mashine for the girls
Get someting i can't mention here
Get some Drumm'n'Bass ("Black sun Empire"' or "Omni trio")
Get the concept of a friendly game...i.e potentially Every game
...Chill...it's a game!

Hood
28-04-2009, 14:29
Uhm, no... Really folks, nerdy/geeky stuff isn't worth getting upset over... :eyebrows:

Yeap! It doesn't worth it for sure, that's why I am trying to fix my anger outbrakes...! :rolleyes:

One other thing that usually **** me off is when I start arguing about rules or intches... Usually things I consider to be obvious... That really get's me started. :(

Giganthrax
28-04-2009, 14:29
Well, I think everyone gets annoyed when they're losing/being unlucky/their opponent is being overly lucky. If you didn't care and didn't at all feel a thing whether you're losing/winning, then I'd say you're bored of the game and should do something better with your time.

After all, if the game doesn't engage your emotions in any way, then it's not exactly fun, is it? :)

As for myself, I tend to get bored and depressed when I'm losing by a large margin. I go all quiet and sometimes I find it hard to concentrate on the game after that. But most of the time I don't let the anger really have the better of me. 40k rarely gets me into a situation when I'm being pissed off over dice rolls - simply put, I throw too many dice for bad luck to have too big of an effect.

On the other hand there are people getting pissed off to hell and back over completely unimportant things. One guy at the club uses Zoanthropes, and them being Zoanthropes the models tend to fall over from the slightest push. He gets pissed off and curses each time one of his zoanthropes falls over, even though it usually happens quite a few times during a battle. I mean, they won't break from falling over on a gaming table, so who cares?

EDIT: Also, a cousin of mine is a pro when it comes to getting pissed off. He doesn't play 40k, but he plays Blood Bowl. If you ever played Blood Bowl you know that, while it has great potential for tactics, blood bowl is so dependent on single dice rolls (if you roll one bad dice your turn automatically ends, and most of BB dice rolls are failures if you roll 1-2, and sometimes 1-3) that it's pretty much a gamble in many ways. If one guy is being lucky, then he's very likely going to win, end of story. If you get bad dice rolls, there's nothing you can do about it. Finito.

Yet my cousin gets so pissed off over it he has, on a few occasions, thrown his miniatures into the wall or literally tried to break a few of the unlucky miniatures. I tried to tell him he shouldn't be taking Blood Bowl so seriously, but we almost got into a fight over it a few times. Nerd rage at its worst.

Sholto
28-04-2009, 14:30
I found a partial cure for dice-rage at Conflict Scotland this year - Speed Gaming. Game 2 was so short (45 mins) we had to fly through it - point at a unit and roll some dice while your teammate did the same with another unit and hope to hell you didn't forget anyone. It was only after the game ended I realised that on one occasion my Crisis Suits had fired 6 missile pod shots and 6 plasma rifle shots and missed with every single one! No time = no rage ;)

Sholto

LordManimal
28-04-2009, 14:31
If you find yourself loosing, instead of getting angry do what I do. Completely change the focus of your game. Generally speaking, I begin with a fixed plan in mind such as.... kill em all. (Deep, I know.) When it becomes apparent that winning is not within the realm of possibility, I'll refocus my energy into a smaller goal that I have a good shot at accomplishing, such as revenge on that special character. If the only thing I accomish for the rest of the game is revenge on the peice that tipped the battle away from me, I feel like I had a victory in some small way and it pretty much alleviated my "nerd rage" from loosing.

On the odd occasion this has actually netted me a victory to boot. When you voluntarily retreat from one half of the board, loosing a unit or two in the process and focus on one small, yet critical peice of the battle, some people can't process it and don't adapt the rest of the game. "Why would you loose an entire tactical squad out of three in a retreat just to take out my genestealers?" Because I now own 3 corners of the board and you have..... 0. GG

Sholto
28-04-2009, 14:38
If you find yourself loosing, instead of getting angry do what I do. Completely change the focus of your game. QFT - I often do this if I am clearly losing. Pick an enemy model and declare your vengeance, then serve it before the game ends! If that fails, lower your expectations and try again ;)

Sholto

satanslandlady
28-04-2009, 14:41
I don't tend to get angry during warhammer games at least but I don't know how to play well enough to be that competitive. I have fun but if someone knocks over one of my models and it breaks... I flipped out when my bf knocked over one of my seekers and her tail broke off (they're my favorite). That's about the only time I get angry with Warhammer is when figures break.

SimpleSquid
28-04-2009, 14:42
Yeah, never really got nerd rage
If a game is getting really hopeless because of the dice gods slapping me down, or I've made a mistake and the games totally going down the pan for my guys, it does effect my mood at times.

I tend to start to lose a bit of interest, get a bit distracted. When I notice this happening I normally just strike up another geeky conversation to keep my mind from drifting off, maybe talk about how awesome that thing that happend the otherday in the apoc game was or whatever. After all I wouldn't want to ruin the game for my opponent, he might be enjoying stomping me, and nobody likes to play someone who's hearts not in it :)

redbaron998
28-04-2009, 14:46
I do but extremely rarely due to my own self-control. I suppose I do more on the inside than out.

There has been a couple games where and there where for instance I lost a Squad of Grey Knigts, A land Raider, and 2 dreads in my opponents first turn before I have been able to do anything, and I just wanna throw my hands up in frustration.

Usually im good though, i play video games alot to and I have seen how some people act, if I ever get to a point where I am getting really pissed and not aving fun anymore I just take a break.

sliganian
28-04-2009, 14:51
I can get exasperated if my dice rolls just seem to be mocking me. Usually I can see the humour in it.... usually.

Another thing is that I like fast play, and if I am playing someone who is v-e-r-y.....s-l-o-w I basically just go to a happy place in my head until they decide they are done. Probably isn't very nice, as they might sense that I am ignoring them as they agonize whether to move a model or not for 5 minutes.

A last awkward situation is dealing with rage on the other side of the table when dice go bad for the opponent. It is embarassing to watch someone, say, have a whole turn of shooting that SHOULD obliterate a unit 3 times over, all come in for nothing for the effort. What's worse is when it goes on over a few turns. I almost feel guitly for taking advantage of their bad luck.... almost.

AbyssRaven
28-04-2009, 15:10
Slow Slow Slow People make me get snippy because it makes games get boring and drag on
And when I failed to commit the correct sacrifices to the dice god before the game and my rolls all end, as another poster put it, in Binary, i tend to have a bad habit of calling the dice ******s.

My opponents find the dice thing funny though it seems.

Shogunate
28-04-2009, 15:19

Haha, I do this aswell! After turn 1 yesterday it was going so abysmally I just said "well I've lost, I don't even want to play anymore" and felt like a real ****** as soon as I said it.

As for losing stuff, this can be mitigated by having one (or a group of) set place(s) to place your stuff where you can always find it, that might be a little window into my OCD mind that you didn't need though, and may not work for you!

Tried this. What usually happens is someone else A. moves my stuff, or B. covers my stuff with their stuff. Might just get my codex tattood onto my arms. :p

I tend to cause nerdrage rather than suffer from it. The accuracy of my battlecannons must be seen to be believed.

Oh I HATE your kind of player! A friend has orcs, which are UNGODLY at shooting and saving. His rolls other than that are fairly averagy, but his shooting...it just aint right!!

Go out more often, Have fun, Play with friends, Have your games as a social event, play loud music, invite some girls and have a mini party and have a game or two on the side, this is the only way i play...more fun then ripping eachothers heads off.

Some tips:
Get a karaoke mashine for the girls
Get some Drumm'n'Bass ("Black sun Empire"' or "Omni trio")
Get the concept of a friendly game...i.e potentially Every game
...Chill...it's a game!

All the ladies we know take one look at our pool-table-turned-warhammer-board and raise a questioning eyebrow, usually followed by their heaping pity upon us.

Well, I think everyone gets annoyed when they're losing/being unlucky/their opponent is being overly lucky. If you didn't care and didn't at all feel a thing whether you're losing/winning, then I'd say you're bored of the game and should do something better with your time.

After all, if the game doesn't engage your emotions in any way, then it's not exactly fun, is it? :)

A good point, and it sounds terrible to say but I'm not actually sure I'm having fun when I'm losing.

I found a partial cure for dice-rage at Conflict Scotland this year - Speed Gaming. Game 2 was so short (45 mins) we had to fly through it - point at a unit and roll some dice while your teammate did the same with another unit and hope to hell you didn't forget anyone. It was only after the game ended I realised that on one occasion my Crisis Suits had fired 6 missile pod shots and 6 plasma rifle shots and missed with every single one! No time = no rage ;)

Sholto

As a group we're far too unsure of the rules, and distrustful of eachother to do it that quick I think! I know I'd want to fully watch every roll my opponent makes.

If you find yourself loosing, instead of getting angry do what I do. Completely change the focus of your game. Generally speaking, I begin with a fixed plan in mind such as.... kill em all. (Deep, I know.) When it becomes apparent that winning is not within the realm of possibility, I'll refocus my energy into a smaller goal that I have a good shot at accomplishing, such as revenge on that special character. If the only thing I accomish for the rest of the game is revenge on the peice that tipped the battle away from me, I feel like I had a victory in some small way and it pretty much alleviated my "nerd rage" from loosing.

I also do this, but it rarely pays off. Just ends up with me feeling like an even bigger loser, especially because I usually vocalise my intentions of taking down a certain character!

I don't tend to get angry during warhammer games at least but I don't know how to play well enough to be that competitive. I have fun but if someone knocks over one of my models and it breaks... I flipped out when my bf knocked over one of my seekers and her tail broke off (they're my favorite). That's about the only time I get angry with Warhammer is when figures break.

Ironically when one of my long fang models gun kept falling off I threw the whole thing at the wall in frustration. Metal model on plasterboard leaves a nasty mark. Had to get the polyfiller out. =/

I can get exasperated if my dice rolls just seem to be mocking me. Usually I can see the humour in it.... usually.

Another thing is that I like fast play, and if I am playing someone who is v-e-r-y.....s-l-o-w I basically just go to a happy place in my head until they decide they are done. Probably isn't very nice, as they might sense that I am ignoring them as they agonize whether to move a model or not for 5 minutes.

A last awkward situation is dealing with rage on the other side of the table when dice go bad for the opponent. It is embarassing to watch someone, say, have a whole turn of shooting that SHOULD obliterate a unit 3 times over, all come in for nothing for the effort. What's worse is when it goes on over a few turns. I almost feel guitly for taking advantage of their bad luck.... almost.

Honestly if the opponent rolls badly for the majority of the game and I "win" I don't even consider it a victory.

I guess the severe randomness of the game bothers me. Maybe its a matter of ratio of luck to tactics being out of proportion.

Or maybe I should just play chess!!! :p

sliganian
28-04-2009, 15:50
Or maybe I should just play chess!!! :p

Nope! Not a balanced game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-move_advantage_in_chess

:D

AngryAngel
28-04-2009, 16:14

Now to be fair, I normally totally or at least 95 % agree with you. However, on this I must disagree. I think getting annoyed with poor luck is perfectly human. Getting angry, mostly the same thing. However the level at which you should feel anger is something else.

Is a game worth frothing rage ? Hell no, is it worth a bit of aggrivation ? Sure. People spend alot of time in their models, alot of money and attention. To see them fail completely due to, seemingly fickle winds of fate, that could cause a spike of anger from even the best of us.

That said, I don't get angry, or at least try not to get angry over a game. Being human however sometimes I still do, I'm not perfect. As my name here would suggest, I can get angry. Mostly however its an amusing, Lewis Black type rant about my units worthless nature or their complete lack of win.

Trick is, Keep all your hopes for you little men low, so low in fact that can barely if ever truely dissapoint you, so low when they succeed, its like a miracle !

As well everyone remember, no need to get too angry, if they fail, simply send them in again and again. That tends to make me feel better, if they fail let them die trying.

Thought of the day, If its worth doing, its worth dying for.

Frep
28-04-2009, 16:29
I used to get kind of sulky when the dice turned against me, playing Risk against my brothers when I was twelve was not a good sight. But now I just laugh at my bad dice rolls, its much easier than getting upset.

Brother Gabriel
28-04-2009, 16:34
Is Nerdrage restricted to bad gaming experience? If not, i sometimes get really angry when some guys post the same whining/hating etc. against an army/background i play and like.
Ok i have no problem once... but if it doesnt stop anymore and goes on forever, there comes a point i really get angry.
I guess that does qualify as Nerdrage?
So let me get of a wish at the end of this post:
Stop the army/background hate, no matter what army. I bet there are more than me who get angry :). Especially those who try to hide the hating behind pseudo educated blah blah make me mad.

Cheers

Oberst Viktor Morte
28-04-2009, 16:43
I remember in one Apocalypse game, someone borrowed a Warhound Titan and then we obliterated it first turn with combined tank fire. He grabbed a stress ball and flung it across the room.

Oh, verily I did lol.

NightrawenII
28-04-2009, 16:50

On the odd occasion this has actually netted me a victory to boot. When you voluntarily retreat from one half of the board, loosing a unit or two in the process and focus on one small, yet critical peice of the battle, some people can't process it and don't adapt the rest of the game. "Why would you loose an entire tactical squad out of three in a retreat just to take out my genestealers?" Because I now own 3 corners of the board and you have..... 0. GG

I usualy do this to oponents HQ. Its suprising how many people gets angry and confused, when their commander is visibly chased and assauted by your army.:cheese:

Laser guided fanatic
28-04-2009, 17:18
I once played a dark eldar nerd, 1500 point game vs my BT and by the 4th turn he was down to one skimmer and 1 squad of troops. Of course he kept on coming up with the excuse that it was the dice fault and he normally plays better and then I put 10 wounds on his squad of ten, he failed all of them.

This is when the nerdrage started, he had a McFlurry, firstly he tossed that across the room which he then did to the 10 warriors, he called me a cheat and said I made him fail the armour saves because i distracted him from rolling the dice properly and last but not least claimed my army was illegal because i used castellan drako (with his permission).

mukelnas
28-04-2009, 17:38
I used to game with a guy, he was nearly 50 years old, but at the first sign of trouble he would throw a tantrum unlike anything I have ever seen. He would grab his dice, minitures, rulebook, or whatever and throw them across the room. This was followed by some of the most horrific profanity and personal insults I have ever heard. He once broke down into tears, balling like a little kid, after his land radier was destroyed.

If some one acts this over the top in a game I can only imagine how they act when somthing goes wrong in real life. Personaly I don't understand how some one can live like that.

tuebor
28-04-2009, 17:47
I usualy do this to oponents HQ. Its suprising how many people gets angry and confused, when their commander is visibly chased and assauted by your army.:cheese:

I do that too. If I can't win the actual objective of the game I'll make up something suitably cinematic.

This is when the nerdrage started, he had a McFlurry, firstly he tossed that across the room which he then did to the 10 warriors, he called me a cheat and said I made him fail the armour saves because i distracted him from rolling the dice properly and last but not least claimed my army was illegal because i used castellan drako (with his permission).

The shop owner didn't throw him out of the store?

TimLeeson
28-04-2009, 17:50
I get it sometimes, but I dont take myself too seriously, so I usually end up laughing at my own sillyness :D if I have to nerd-rage though ill do it with my best friend so nobody else has to put up with it :P

maelstrom66669
28-04-2009, 17:58
I once had a game where I lost 13 CSM to enhanced warriors roll, and my dreadnaught fire-frenzied the first 3 turns. It was more funny than annoying tho, but if my dreadnaught does it again I'll make him walk home.

Laser guided fanatic
28-04-2009, 18:11
The shop owner didn't throw him out of the store?

It was in the back of GW and the staff were busy at the front I think he just left in the end.

Onichi
28-04-2009, 19:12
I try to keep Nerd rage to a minimum to non-existence, when playing other people for the first/second/third time. Granted it is hard when your HQ choice and/or your most expensive unit scatter 10" straight into a mountain and your Mishap rolls a 1-2, but as a Deamon player I have found that the Dark Powers only favor anything that is a 50%, not a 33% chance. (Examples: The friend I mention later hates any Nurgle I field with a Feel No Pain, as I tend to roll 4-5's, but fails to realize that my scatter, which is a 1 in 3 chance to land on target rarely does and I often scatter as i mentioned before)

When i know the person its fun to let it vent in a humorous manner. A common saying in a friendly game (Tabletop or otherwise) is, "One of these days my rage will manifest me a gun so I can blow that smirk off your face!" followed by making a gun with your hand and making a gunfire noise.

I'll admit to taunting rage.

It only appears when an opponent decides to amuse themselves by being a douche, coming out with what they think are hilarious things to say. Such gems as “Oh that’s really going to help, good luck with that.” or “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

But oh so much more monumental is my rage when people stroke their own ego about their “uber” unit. Yes… great, you have terminators. Oh, look a special character. I don’t care, stop telling me how awesome it is and how it’ll kick my ass!

Wow, I completely understand, I have a friend who is like that, its his very nature. Then he makes excuses out the ass when he loses. The last game I played him, Tyranid vs. Chaos Deamons, he was taunting and flaunting the 'I took 3 shooter-fexs as my HS your going to lose' and the 'Watch as my Winged Tyrant plays with your back line.' I haven't had the heart to tell him that flaunting just tells me where your strategy is going.

Highlights of the match for example: Turn 2 (Chaos gods not favoring my Deamonic Assault) I drop my squad of Flamers in front of his Gaunt squad and Breath of Chaos into the Warriors behind them, leaving him 1 of 9 Warriors and 6 of 40 gaunts.

My Bloodletters, mind you suffering their own casualties, downing one of his beefy Carnifexes in one game turns worth of assaults.

And then my Beasts of Nurgle lasting against gaunt/Carnifex fire until the last turn when, that being the only Unit on the table, taking the entire armies shots before loosing the last Wound in an assault by said gaunts.

And even though he did win, remember, Beasts were the only thing on the table in my last turn, he then sulks and complains that it was cheap that I could ignore his armor saves and have my "Immortal" beasts and have Gamesworkshop call it legal. According to him my Troop choice should not be able to deny his Heavy choice its 2+ save, nor should my flame weapon be more effective than any other flame weapon.

Not my fault he clusters his units and relies only on his armor instead of tactics to win.

TrooperTino
28-04-2009, 21:07
One day I killed one of my minis (with I think it was a hammer- bääääm flat on the floor) in front of the rest of my army to encourage them to fight harder next game... it was ment as fun (and it was only an awfull painted lasgun grunt) after losing two games horribly only because the dice hated me and I wanted to do something before I started the third and last game.

But I think most people mistook it for nerd rage and looked very... well you can imagine how they looked at me :D
I think I even said something like "Die you worthless scum! And the rest of you look closely!" (very loud) to my toysoldiers when I flatted him...

I'm used to play only with friends- they would have known it was fun^^

Mannimarco
28-04-2009, 21:25
lets see..........nerd rage............

i threw a chaos warhound against a wall because its to top heavy and wouldnt stand up (NOTE TO SELF, DO NOT DO THIS!)fixed it up ok but bit scary

i sculpted a model of Kane (command and conquer Kane) to lead my guard, botched the face up so stamped on it a bunch of times

The_Outsider
28-04-2009, 21:28
There was once a person who came to our GW and played a game against the (then) manager.

It was the manager (I forget the force he used) against a tyranid army.

The story goes the nid player really did not like how the manager played (to be fair he is a good player and knows the rules inside out) and after a turn or two of getting more and more irate just said "**** it" and walked off - when the manager called asking him about his army (a whole fully painted 1500 points) the man told the manager to do whatever the hell wanted to with it.

So the army was boxed up and placed in storage for the mans eventual return - but he never did return. So eventually the models were used for store conversions and just general laughs until the last remaining models - couple genestealers were placed on the floor and rather brutally stamped to pieces by a staff member (not the manager) just because he could.

I really wish I was there to see the game that started it all first hand.

Oguleth
28-04-2009, 21:40
Normally I don't really care much, but sometimes with how things go in the game (not just warhammer, same thing when playing WoW Arena, FIFA, boardgames, sports, you name it) combined with tauntlike behaviour from the opposition gets me mad. I tended to love FIFA for example, but after playing against a friend of mine who played in an extremly annoying fashion and started acting all high and mighty it made me hate the game and got all nerd ragey while at it. Same thing in Warhammer, playing against the old Skaven, with opponents claiming my armies were cheesy, only to use ages on their movement phases, and then get lucky blasting half my army away in one turn, and so on.

It might just be a game, but the feeling of wasting relaxing time on something annoying is...well, just as annoying as irriating or bad stuff happening when using up important time. Time = time and all.

razormasticator
28-04-2009, 21:43
I suffer from it, and I'm ashamed. But not in direct ways. I'm rarely hostile to people (sometimes, if they're doing something absolutely pisstaking, I'll pull a face and say "really? well, if you want to win like that go ahead")

If I'm losing a game for example, and I'm looking around for my codex in my living room and just can't find it (has a mind of its own) I'll flip out with profanities and start tearing the room apart until I find it, making out losing the codex is the worst thing to happen to any human being in the history of the world.

Or, if I roll 20 dice and get 16 1's and 2's (its happened, once, and if the dice gods are just, never again) my rage will manifest itself in deep silence, where I'm only capable of one word responses (sulking I suppose).

I tend to only really succumb to the black nerdrage when I'm losing through no fault of my own. I'm more than happy to lose a game when its because of my own faults. If my tactics r0xx0r and my dice rolls suxx0r, I feel cheated, and like I've wasted time thinking of good tactics when all that happens is I roll poorly.

Yeah, I know, endless justification. So do you suffer? How does your rage show itself? And if you dont suffer, whats the trick? How can I cure the rage?

Everyone knows bad luck and crappy dice rolls will undo good tactics every time bro. Its like a right of passage for gaming. And it happens to everyone.

LordofWar1986
28-04-2009, 21:46
Who needs nerd rage when I have mental instability :p

When I do get upset, I just walk away and beat up a tree :D

My old friend on the other hand, took his rage out on his models :(

Johnnyfrej
28-04-2009, 21:50
I wouldn't call it nerd rage, but Artillery Rage.

My Medusas came in packs that read "Medusa Siege Mortar."
Mortar = Indirect fire weapon.

Now in the new book Medusas cannot fire Indirectly :wtf:

Hlokk
28-04-2009, 21:58
I have great difficulty with multipart metal models. I've thrown 2 techmarines, kharn the betrayer and a privateer press warjack out of my window for annoying me. Not in terms of the game, but I've been to prison twice for assault. :rolleyes:

imperial_communist
28-04-2009, 22:03
my rage when i loose my codex or a model ill shout at people who were near it last.
and when people take the **** out of warhammer so much at school i end up pinning them against walls and calmly asking them to apologize

Hlokk
28-04-2009, 22:10
and when people take the **** out of warhammer so much at school i end up pinning them against walls and calmly asking them to apologize
Pinning people against walls and acting calmly, the two dont exactly jive do they mate?

Just for the record, has anyone ever seen someone throw a metal dreadnought against a wall? I never have, but people talk about it all the time on here, is it an urban myth or does it actually happen?

noobzor
28-04-2009, 22:15
However, I have a few pet peeves on 40k forums and they all come from the certain variety of Eldar players that insist the following:

-Eldar are not overpowered (aka Eldar do not have an overly powerful Codex)
-Eldar are a difficult army to play that rewards a good tactician
-Eldrad isnt undercosted and isnt broken (yes I said broken)
-Eldar's rules should match the fluff (aka they need to be EVEN better)
-Wave Serpents suck because "look how expensive they are!"

Players who adhere to these dogmas are exclusively the ones that are on the receiving end of my outbursts.

But they aren't:D
My nerd-rage starts developing when people complain about Eldar, not Demons or Orks. ;)

I also HATE when people take the extra .002" from lazy measuring. It just looks like they are cheating to me.

The_Outsider
28-04-2009, 22:17
Just for the record, has anyone ever seen someone throw a metal dreadnought against a wall? I never have, but people talk about it all the time on here, is it an urban myth or does it actually happen?

As long as it isn't a plasterboard wall those bits (especially if it is the current ven. dread) will ricochet like shrapnel and I would not want to be there when that happens.

At least, not in range to get a dreads powerfist inserted into my eye at high velocity.

Earthbeard
28-04-2009, 23:02
I don't suffer from Nerd Rage....just more a general Rage.

I don't throw or break things though, never have, never will I doubt, but by the lord my mouth goes off when I get the Rage.

Rarely happens when I'm playing though so thats a bonus :D

parus_ater
28-04-2009, 23:07
I'm not sure if what I get can be called Nerd Rage. I have no direct display of anger, I just cabbage people.

tacoo
28-04-2009, 23:23
ahh nerd rage, My friends always get it when i play necrons because if my superb WBB rolling. in one game we kept track and the same i passed 92% of my WBB rolls in that game. i get nerd rage when playing my daemons. my bloodletters get Killed by Deepstriking more often then they appear.

Mannimarco
28-04-2009, 23:45
never thrown a metal dread, have thrown the legs of a chaos warhound because the body wouldnt hold, bounced off the wall and shattered at the knees

top that!

Hlokk
28-04-2009, 23:49
never thrown a metal dread, have thrown the legs of a chaos warhound because the body wouldnt hold, bounced off the wall and shattered at the knees

Replastering the wall: £50, a new Warhound: £285, Embarassment at having thrown 2 weeks worth of wages at a wall: Priceless

THeres some things money can't buy, for everything else GW related, you can always sell a kidney ;)

Giganthrax
29-04-2009, 00:10
There was once a person who came to our GW and played a game against the (then) manager.

It was the manager (I forget the force he used) against a tyranid army.

The story goes the nid player really did not like how the manager played (to be fair he is a good player and knows the rules inside out) and after a turn or two of getting more and more irate just said "**** it" and walked off - when the manager called asking him about his army (a whole fully painted 1500 points) the man told the manager to do whatever the hell wanted to with it.

So the army was boxed up and placed in storage for the mans eventual return - but he never did return. So eventually the models were used for store conversions and just general laughs until the last remaining models - couple genestealers were placed on the floor and rather brutally stamped to pieces by a staff member (not the manager) just because he could.

I really wish I was there to see the game that started it all first hand.
Goddamn, that's hardcore! :wtf:

That guy must've been annoyed by his army or the hobby or whatever for a VERY long time. I guess that battle just spilled the cup.

Pooky
29-04-2009, 00:30
I used to nerd rage, but then I got past the mental age of an 8 yo! :D

I used to nerd rage when the following happened:

- I played against someone that was a jerk about the game
- Someone pulled out a contrived interpretation of a/ special rule that made them win
- When people stand around and repeat to your face "You're gonna loose" when it was pretty obvious

I then got over it by the following methods:
- Only play people I know who aren't jerks, i.e. close gaming friends
- Reasonably talk out rules interpretations with people who are not bent on winning at all costs, i.e. people who play who want to have fun
- Growing up and not being a little baby about it! It's just a game for ******'s sake!!!

The best method I found to deal with horrible dice rolls is to just try to claim moral victories where I can. For example, if I am failing dice rolls badly and realise I can't win, I will say out loud (for s**ts and giggles) I am going to kill your XXX and claim moral victory. Obviously it doesn't change the VC of the game, but I try to take my victories where I can. Think of it like the last stand of a heroic marine, "I may be going down but I'm taking all you f**kers with me!!"

Tae
29-04-2009, 01:07
I wouldn't say I've ever raged, however I do 'sulk' somewhat when playing WFB against someone with a Thorek gunline because, quite frankly, I didn't accept the game to spend all of it moving 2" forwards and then watching them spend 40 minutes having their shooting phase.

But 40k has never really had any incidents like that - even when I played my friend's Tau and lost half my army and managed to kill a single gun drone in return (still only lost 1-0 though).

Ertle
29-04-2009, 01:31
ah good old fashioned nerd rage. I find when the rage starts to build that a good WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!! tends to kill off adrenaline pretty fast and it usually scares the crap out of the guy you're playing.

Imperius
29-04-2009, 01:36
The only thing that ticks me off is just an epic fail of a roll. Ok, this is it, my whole platoon shall fire at a single squad of space marines (Around 80 Lasgun shots), then get 60 1's

orkz222
29-04-2009, 01:38
QFT - I often do this if I am clearly losing. Pick an enemy model and declare your vengeance, then serve it before the game ends! If that fails, lower your expectations and try again ;)

Sholto

same here haha, shift your focus to prevent any emo outburst

Netherghoul
29-04-2009, 01:39
yeah...I get it when I get a warning from a certain admin.../rasp!

Frostmane
29-04-2009, 04:59
Time for a startling confession, I don't have nerd rage. No what I have is far worse, the dreaded nerd /cry. Yes its so bad that it must be written as an emote command.
Now /cry does not emit often. I usually have the "Oh Come On!" shout and I am done. The nerd /cry happens when you have 5 saves against your termies and 4 of them are ones. My termies have died under those circumstances so often I bought new dice thinking, maybe the dice and terms don't like each other. I gave the termies many opportunities for redemption yet still they died. I even gave them a vacation and then brought them back into action, yet again they decided to take a nap while fighting orks. So rather than throw those little metal bastards I sold them on Ebay and have been happy ever since.

blurrymadness
29-04-2009, 05:42
It happens less and less now. It was at it's worst in High School during Risk games, i actually stopped playing because after a game or two with one of my buddies, the way he always struck me when I was down (or just about to get up from a ****storm) just infuriated me.

Warhammer at least has an overlay that gives more to it, and the ability to usually come back from a bad turn. We try to believe (given the evidence) that your worst rolls come first. When I finally finished painting my warboss, toting him so high because.. well.. he was done, he missed nearly every attack for 6 games. Literally 6 attacks, 1-3 hits, then some ones on his 2+ wounds. This went on game after game. He does fine now, or I just don't notice it.

Same with each nob, which I usually rather enjoy the newest's modeling feats, but my nobz typically are lucky to kill a guy, but forum goer's always think that they're practically guaranteed to kill 2+ guys. They just don't. It's a farse lol.

Now we take our licks with the new armies hoping that eventually the dice rolls even out, and they typically do. I think the worst rolling I remember, involved a full 20 ard boyz with PK nob charging plague marines. Shooting and Assaulting, didn't kill a single one. Lost what.. 6 before fearless? After that, as if it was needed after how abysmal, he charged his termies in..

Another time or two, I had a few games in a row where Morale (as Orks) re-rolling LD7-10 was horrible. Every squad that would get to combat, would cease to be fearless and then run like pansies. I think I had 4 retreats of sizeable units that game.

There was another time, I poured everybit of firepower into said termies (different game) Passes 18 out of 19 saves IIRC. That was ridiculous. I didnt get mad, but with the way his saves go (even for Death Guard) he's got a reputation lol.

EDIT: I'm much in the same boat Frostmane. I paid for armor, damn it, pass! Those times are when I blurt out my little burst. I usually feel bad for my opponent though when something like said Death Guard are failing saves at a ridiculous pace. I know what it's like on that end, and I usually just play it down and admit at the end that there was some horrible rolling. I used to routinely miss all but one or so slugga shot before CC, and yet it'd hit, wound (on a 5+) and he'd fail that single save lol.

Vaktathi
29-04-2009, 07:43
I do it sometimes, I'll admit it.

I can be kind of a fluff nazi at times, (not usually in regards to normal armies, usually more Apoc stuff).

With regards to my rolling, it's pretty legendary here in Salem and among my friends as amazingly terrible, most especially with my IG and my Germans in Flames of War. If I need anything but a 1, I'll roll the 1 every time (especially with damn Tiger armor saves). When given an opportunity to smash an opponent first turn, I'll miss 7 of 9 lascannon shots with BS4 models and then fail to do anything with the shots that do hit. I can sometimes get rather sullen about this, although I try not to be.

I can also usually pinpoint exactly when a game has been won or lost before it's played through, and can again become pretty sullen sometimes if something got boffed due to terrible dicerolling and I can tell it just lost me the game (e.g. landing 9 melta shots against a friends nob bikers, and him making 8 of the cover saves and not failing any other saves against them, leaving him with assault range to half my eldar army where if he'd just rolled average he'd have had almost no nob bikers left)

PapaDoc
29-04-2009, 13:39
Nice to see some true warhammer-talibans as myself.

My nerdrage is caused by three things.

Severe breaching of fluff-sharia-laws. There is this player who has black templars allied with orks (the space marines have squigs on them. EMPEROR JUMPED UP WITH HIS DICK IN HIS HANDS WHAT THE ****). I have refused him in some campaigns I ran. We do have an female space marine player in the shop aswell:mad:. Nothing against females. Everything against female space marines.

Loosing a game by not knowing special rules. "yeah you can't charge this unit. It says right here in this small box in the codex which you surely have missed". This is often followed by a shiteating grin. :mad::mad::mad:

I have also adopted a policy to not play people who have no written army list with them. The don't have to show me the list during the game but I had more than one case of Terminator-Captain-Becoming-Calgar-syndrome.

razormasticator
29-04-2009, 14:43
I used to nerd rage, but then I got past the mental age of an 8 yo! :D

I used to nerd rage when the following happened:

- I played against someone that was a jerk about the game
- Someone pulled out a contrived interpretation of a/ special rule that made them win
- When people stand around and repeat to your face "You're gonna loose" when it was pretty obvious

I then got over it by the following methods:
- Only play people I know who aren't jerks, i.e. close gaming friends
- Reasonably talk out rules interpretations with people who are not bent on winning at all costs, i.e. people who play who want to have fun
- Growing up and not being a little baby about it! It's just a game for ******'s sake!!!

The best method I found to deal with horrible dice rolls is to just try to claim moral victories where I can. For example, if I am failing dice rolls badly and realise I can't win, I will say out loud (for s**ts and giggles) I am going to kill your XXX and claim moral victory. Obviously it doesn't change the VC of the game, but I try to take my victories where I can. Think of it like the last stand of a heroic marine, "I may be going down but I'm taking all you f**kers with me!!"

Yeah, Die killing and all that. I get it, I often do that. Or I throw objectives out the window and try to kill something uber important on my opponents table side. Ie. Avatar's things like that.

noobzilla
29-04-2009, 14:45
I get really pissed really fast at people who can't translate a straight line like a scatter to a different point, they end up turning it slightly to avoid their troops even though the scatter SHOULD still land on their guys.

Extra movement, (aka guys moving 14" in one turn witht the assault move) really pisses me off too. I try not to be uptight about it, but assaults are usually really close and that extra movement helps them just enough.

Cheexsta
29-04-2009, 18:02
I get reverse nerdrage. I laugh at bad things that happen to me, and then proceed to buy the perpetrator a drink. True story.

There is the rare occasion that I might get a little irritated at something, but more often than not it's easily blown over by a well-timed "that's what she said" joke, normally involving Battle Cannons or similarly large weapons.

Madfool2
29-04-2009, 18:23
I manifest my nerdrage by posting on warseer!

what? Not funny? Ok.

But seriously, I'm alright with poor rolls and stuff like that.

Vitroc
29-04-2009, 18:39
I don't really care what makes people go into a nerd-rage. It just shows bad karma.. Thank whoever that there is no one in my gaming group that suffers from this affliction.. I truly pitty the people who do.

Razarael
29-04-2009, 20:13
If there's one thing that really gets my goat, it's when people whine and moan and cry and bellyache at the table. I like to win games, but I'm not super competitive, so winning or losing doesn't matter all that much to me. So, when an adult starts acting like a child and keeps claiming 'oh I'm going to lose because my dice are awful. I can't make a single dice roll boohoo.' I get irritated, tell 'em to shut it and keep playing. I think what bothers me about it is that it's like saying that there's no way in the world that I could have used a better tactic and outsmarted them as a player, by giving the credit to the dice. Especially when the dice are rolling fine.

I've played against players who have whined like that and then went on to win it in the end, meaning all the whining was for nothing except being a wimp.

I actually throw games sometimes just so I don't have to listen to it. By throw, I don't mean concede, I mean play purposefully bad in order to lose. Sometimes that actually makes it more fun for everyone involved.

Oh yeah... I also don't like when people insult me because of the army I chose to play and it's potential cheesy options. In fourth, I was mocked because eldar have the flying circus. I had NEVER used the flying circus before in my life. Still haven't! And yet... I was mocked. Bah. Oh yeah, and then I'm the bad guy when I try to defend myself. Crock.

parus_ater
29-04-2009, 20:22
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196286&page=7

Johnnyfrej
29-04-2009, 20:26
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195559&page=2
I get nerd rage when people think Apoclypse is an excuse to take a dump on the entirety of 40k's fluff.

HereticLosMorte
29-04-2009, 20:35
in my old gaming group, we had an on-off group member that played speed freaks, before the new codex came out. he claimed that he could never be beaten.

i played against him with my 'nids and crushed him, losing only about 400 pts in a 1500pt game and wiping him off the board.

he called me a cheater and an "exploiter of the rules", that in a REAL game he can't be beat, when there is no cheating.

after he left, i was laughing with another player about it, and told him the only real difficulty in the match was with his ork mek standing near his looted leman russ, so that the mek's personal force field was protecting it as well, making it next to impossible to ranged kill.... my friend informed me that the mek's shield could not be used on the tank nearby, only the mek. (he was an orc speed freak player previously).

so the guy nerd raging was in fact the cheater.

he refused to ever play me again....
the next week, another gamer in our group slaughtered him with his vanilla marines. he never returned.

i think my only "rage" moment is when someone else knocks over my models and they break, after i put so much tiem and effort into them.... or when my gf's dog ate my wraithlord beyond repair :'(

Razarael
29-04-2009, 21:04
or when my gf's dog ate my wraithlord beyond repair :'(

Another good reason to never own a dog. Thank you. I am going to use that when I'm convincing my currently imaginary future wife to grow flowers instead. (Flowers are pretty and smell nice. Dogs are ugly and smell awful - the lynch pin in my argument).

I think having my models eaten by a dog would result in one kicked puppy. That's right... Nerd rage... Against an animal.

HereticLosMorte
29-04-2009, 21:09
Another good reason to never own a dog. Thank you. I am going to use that when I'm convincing my currently imaginary future wife to grow flowers instead. (Flowers are pretty and smell nice. Dogs are ugly and smell awful - the lynch pin in my argument).

I think having my models eaten by a dog would result in one kicked puppy. That's right... Nerd rage... Against an animal.

yeah, tell me about it. i always kept my hobby room door closed, as well as a baby gate (dog was a puppy) blocking the way out of the room the dog stayed in. my gf moved the gate aside one day, and went onto the computer in the hobby room, then decided to get some food, leaving the door wide open. i come home from work, see the gate down, and the door open, i run in, and there's the puppy, laying in my eldar box, crushing them all, with the wraithlord in about 30 pieces, chewed to hell. then the gf tells me it's not her fault, and that if i hadn't left my stuff "out" it'd still be fine.

...it would have also been fine if she hadn't left the damned door open....

maelstrom66669
29-04-2009, 23:06
...it would have also been fine if she hadn't left the damned door open....

She is clearly a Sister of Battle, purging the foul xenos.

Threeshades
29-04-2009, 23:51
I dont rage out at games. Especially what the OP said. If i would roll 16 1s on 20 dice i'd probably just tip over laughing. I can't take the game seriously enough.
I only get angry at things that repeatedly frustrate me the same way. And things like that don't happen to me in 40k.

druchii
30-04-2009, 00:00
I guess I sort of do.

Warhammer, for me, is my six hours to be a tard and laugh and drink beer and make nerd jokes and be silly. Where I can get away from the woman, girl and work and school.

I get angry when someone prevents this.

At our LGS we have some guys who are very "serious" players. Like, they don't like being bothered when they're shuffling their assault squad back and forth between two different positions (I swear with an inch difference each way...). They're very stern and quiet and deep in thought. ALL. THE. TIME.

We also share a very large space with a VERY large number of people. Sometimes on Saturdays we have something like 50 people playing in our store! In order to cut down on table arguments you can "reserve" tables for your game group. Well, sometimes people reserve two or three tables for a game that can easily be played on one.

Thats when I get angry. When someone tells me to stop talking, or "library" whisper." I get angry when someone takes a dump inthe bathrooms and doesn't flush.

d

catbarf
30-04-2009, 00:05
I'm not a violent person at all, which is somewhat ironic because I am rather aggressive in sports and videogames. 'Nerd rage' just doesn't apply to me.

JJsmoothdaddy
30-04-2009, 01:00

Does this something happen to be green and sometimes skunk scented?

Ganymene
30-04-2009, 01:15
I get really pissed really fast at people who can't translate a straight line like a scatter to a different point, they end up turning it slightly to avoid their troops even though the scatter SHOULD still land on their guys.

I solved this problem by getting a clear dice container to shake the scatter die in, while keeping it close to the blast.

I usually don't rage over things I cannot control (dice rolls mainly), or towards Warhammer in general.

Video games are another matter entirely. :mad:

Threeshades
30-04-2009, 01:18
Video games are another matter entirely. :mad:

Oh yes. They equally help me let out steam as they make me build up more.

kurac
30-04-2009, 15:28
Does this something happen to be green and sometimes skunk scented?

Hmmm...Maybe?!

Frontier
30-04-2009, 15:37
My favorite Nerd Rage moment was making another player go ape **** when I started mimicking his cries of cheese about my Marines. Kid threw a hissy fit, and it probably didn't help that I was laughing even harder as he got more angry.

Really folks. It is not a good thing to call my army cheesy while I am standing there.

galahad67
30-04-2009, 17:14
Nerd rage folks don't get invited back.

Rule 1:

It's just a game.

Rule 2:
Your personal worth as a person is not reflected in the outcome of the game. It IS reflected in your reaction to the outcome.

Rule 3:
Grow up

DarkReaver
30-04-2009, 17:22
I'll admit there have been times I've wanted to flip across the table and beat my opponents head in... mostly if its because they are so obviously cheating and think I don't know any better but I don't think it's worth doing so and getting banned from the only place I can actually game.

Plus I'm known as always being nice and I'm quite lenient with the rules ("Is that dice cocked? I don't mind go count it as a pass") but there's only so much I can take. I just hope some people don't try to take advantage of my kindness because I don't forgive people like that, still I'll just keep on smiling as I plot my revenge ^^

Wolf 11x
30-04-2009, 17:31
I tend to flip over rolling. One of my main opponents always out-rolls me. Primary example from this Saturday, we were playing Fantasy and my opponent rolls a 9 to cast a 2d6 S4 magic missile and I roll a 7 with 4 dispel dice. He then rolls an 11 for the # of hits and kills 7 Dryads in one go. He is also insane with 5+ Invuls on his Terminators.

I find that infuriating. Usually I start griping / cussing, but I always tell my opponent I'm mad at my own dice and not them. I get over it after a little bit, especially as soon as I kill something myself.

This same opponent goes into complete depression and loses all interest in the game every time his general & the unit he is in die. He's a terrible tactician and I know htat. However, I find it very upsetting that as soon as I get a solid charge and destroy that unit, he is pretty well done playing. This happens a lot.

I think "The entire game your rolling is destroying mine, yet I get off a well placed flank charge and break your command unit. Now you don't even want to finish?