PDA

View Full Version : Hero ratios in WotR?

Lyinar
28-04-2009, 13:30
Looking for a bit of advice before I start on my Elves...

What is the usual ratio of heroes to normal soldiers in an army?

Is having only a couple of actual heroes and some captains a viable option, or am I going to need to throw Brand Name Characters™ at the enemy to have a chance?

Emissary
28-04-2009, 13:48
Well, you have to have an epic character or legendary formation to lead your army, but after that it's up to you. Some armies need the epic characters more then others. In my mordor army I'm aiming for 4-5 epic characters/legendary formations. Elves need a little less because of the cost.

Whitehorn
28-04-2009, 13:52
There seems to be an issue at smaller scale - named characters being far better than generic for the cost. Obviously with them being unique, you'd run out of named bods and eventually have to invest in generic guys.

Quantity of heroes.. depends on your points and board size.

Vannatos
28-04-2009, 15:54
Heroes are tough choice. They can be really good, but you need enough troops to back them up. Im personally going more for pushing for my Urak-hai to do most of the fighting, lurtz and maybe the Dark Marshal, khamul and Sauraman for various epic heroes. I will be using legendary formations for flavor and getting better than normal captains.

For elves, at low points, maybe 1-2 heroes at most, the rest troops. their stuff is really expensive and your going to need troops to soak up damage. Low points is really tricky for the hero selection. ;)

Marauder
28-04-2009, 18:03
What is the usual ratio of heroes to normal soldiers in an army?

As of yet, I'd say there is no "usual" ratio.

Is having only a couple of actual heroes and some captains a viable option, or am I going to need to throw Brand Name Characters™ at the enemy to have a chance?

I think a couple of epics and some captains is viable for now. Worst case you'll have to pick up another hero or two - but you'll likely want to do that at some point just for variety and/or expand your army.

Axis
29-04-2009, 00:42
My 2000 point elf army has 3 epic heroes (elrond, isildur and radagast), gildors household and glorfindel. I think i might have too much in terms of named characters plus if i drop isildur and the numenoreans the list will fit better into a specific period of middle earth..

Vannatos
29-04-2009, 03:12
just had another game today, Isengard versus Dwarves. 1000pts, the hero ratio was 2epics and a captain on my side and 3 epics on his.we are still both waiting on more of our mini's to come in so they were filling gaps, but the fact taht i out numbered him really beat the attrition, even though the first half of teh game, i was quite literally getting the snot kicked out of me. It was a good example to us that having more troops can pay off in the long run, but the risks with heroes and their might pay off, you can still win the game (albiet luck can play a much larger role)

msoong
29-04-2009, 07:26
we just did a 1000 pt game where the evil has 3x epic heros (2x Nazgul and Gothmog). I find it's a bit too hero rich and not enough basic troops. Next time I'll prob settle for 2x hero and field more foot grunts...