PDA

View Full Version : Converting Big 'Uns?

sirbone
28-04-2009, 13:43
Does anyone have any pictures of their Big 'Uns that I could look at? I'm a bit confused as to what I should do to mark my unit as being different to any other Orc boy unit. I know that many orc generals are very wary of choosing them under the current edition, but I feel they are the best bodyguard for my general, and they get to have a banner also.

Cheers,

Bone

Urgat
28-04-2009, 13:46
They're not done yet, but I plan on using 40k nobz to do mine some day. They seem bigger than normal orcs.

Braad
28-04-2009, 14:10
Quite simple. I didn't give any of the other boyz additional pieces of armour (like shoulder pads), only the big 'uns. Also painted all their clothes black, instead of all different kinds of browns, blacks, greys and other. Makes them look sufficiently different, especially the armour bits.

TheSil
28-04-2009, 14:14
I have made very good experience with all the spare parts (heads, weapons, standard etc.) you get from the plastic Orc Boss set. Also with using Ogre Clubs/bits (which actually fit quite well onto Orcs) and self made "more nasty" weapons as well as using up the command spure parts of the regular Orcs. After adding a huge amount of spikes/shoulderpads and any other bits I could lay my hands on (skulls, tokens...) my big uns looked pleasingly different.
1-2 decisive bits might be enough to turn your regular Orc into a reasonably bad boy.

Commodus Leitdorf
28-04-2009, 14:15
Quite simple. I didn't give any of the other boyz additional pieces of armour (like shoulder pads), only the big 'uns.

Yeah thats pretty much why I think all those extra armor bits are in the Orc Boyz box. Makes it easier to turn them into Big'Uns with a couple of more shiny bits available.

Stuffburger
28-04-2009, 16:03
If I were to model some big'uns I'd do just that, add some more armor bits and things. I'd also take leftover black orc chunks if you have a box of them and use some of those.

Good thing is since there is not an official GW way of making Big'uns no one will care if you use your pimped out models as normal 'uns.

Makaber
28-04-2009, 16:42
I made some plastic Warhammer 40k Skarboyz a while back. What I did was using the early "truescale" techniques, by inserting 1mm sheet styrene inlays between the arms and torso, torso and legs, and beneath the soles of the feet. Also, I bulked them out with additional armour and iron gobs. The end result was orks 2mm wider and higher than average, which was enough to make them visibly beefier.

chivalrous
28-04-2009, 17:33
When I was thinking about O&G, I decided that Big Uns would follow the principle set out in the 3rd edition 40K Ork codex.

It said something along the lines of "the bigger and older an Or(k) gets, the darker his skin gets."

Duke Georgal
28-04-2009, 19:10
I have a command unit made from 40K Nobz that makes any unit they accompany "Big'unz."

I am afraid to model a complete unit as just Big'unz because I keep experimenting with the best way to arm them. Right now I like two Choppas, but I'm not secure enough in that preference to make the whole unit from 40K Nobz.

DoomBullLiam
23-07-2009, 16:37
Warpaint T'is all im saying

The SkaerKrow
23-07-2009, 17:01
Or a big banner that says "We'z da Big'uns!"

Avian
23-07-2009, 20:13
One relatively simple method is to 'space' their limbs out from the body with little bits of 1 mm thick plasticard. Add some extra bitz to make them look nastier and you get quite cheap Big 'Uns.

Tokamak
23-07-2009, 20:16
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=22962

Expect an update tomorrow

Nephilim of Sin
24-07-2009, 04:51
In my Plog in my sig, I have a few shots of some WiP Big Uns I am doing (to be painted in the next week). Basically, I used the older Ork 3rd. Ed. Bodies (and some heads) since 1.) they have pants, and 2.) they are more armored. Then I used all the spikey/armored bitz I had, used weapons from Black Orcs and such (they are a complete kitbash), and their shields are going to be Ogre gutplates to finish the look for them. Although, had I thought about it, I would have loved to have spaced them out with some plasticard.

Urgat
24-07-2009, 08:23
Warpaint T'is all im saying

Yeah that will make them look like big'uns, not like savage orcs is all Im saying :p

derv
24-07-2009, 10:00
Get hold of some of the old 2 piece Orcs from the old Warhammer box set (6th edition I think, maybe 5th). They're a fair bit taller than the current Orcs and are perfect for Big'Uns.

Nephilim of Sin
24-07-2009, 10:05
The bodies are more armored on some of the torsos, but they are not really taller than the current set of orcs. It just depends on how hunchbacked you make the multipart ones. I made a large amount 'hunchbacked' before I realized that some of them actually had belly buttons molded on; and if you actually pose them to where these are exposed, they are much taller. However, with some extra armor bits, they would be better than what we get in the base set, as almost all of them do have some armor, as opposed to cloth. Plus, they have some of the best heads out of the entire orc range.

Unuhexium
24-07-2009, 12:55
What Makaber said is an excelent idea. You could also add some extra muscle with green stuff to make them look even bulkier.

Malorian
24-07-2009, 13:40
Mine are a mix of 40k nobs and the larger boss models you get in the unit box (because god knows I don't pay for unit champs).