PDA

View Full Version : Justifying a Valkryie

MistaGav
28-04-2009, 14:11
I don't own a guard army nor do I plan on getting one due to the sheer power and amount of models to paint. But there is one model I want and that is the Valkyrie/vendetta/vulture...but that's the problem the only place I could use it is in Apoc and that would probably **** a lot of fluff junkies.

I collect Dark Angels so I had the idea of a Ravenwing styled Valkyrie for fast drop troop missions. I have a Baneblade half painted in a style for Dark Angels so that sort of blends in but an aircraft is a different matter.

So could a Valkyrie fit into a Space Marine force, if it is apoc only?

MajorWesJanson
28-04-2009, 14:20
Paint it up in guard colors, call it an undercover unit for hunting Fallen.
Add an inquisitor, make it his transport
Personal project of a techmarine, to restore a crashed valkerye to working order
Add a squad of stormtroopers and call it a chapter serf unit
PDF bird that got carried along in an evacuation
Requisitioned by a captain for a special mission.

It's only one valkerye, as long as you don't load it up with terminators I'd say go for it.
Another option is to make it an objective, some sort of escape transport landed that you have to secure.

Bunnahabhain
28-04-2009, 14:30
You should be OK with one, background-wise.

It's in an imperial army, which is the main thing. If it's loaded with terminators, that will feel a bit iffy, but for techmarine, or a command squad, it would feel right. Some senior figure like than can easily have a back-story to explain it reasonably enough.

I'm planning to get just the one, for the model, with a conversion for rappelling lines for the troops dis-embarking and such like. Although I have more than enough Guardsmen for anything this side of Epic, I just don't feel like doing a full air Cav army.

kizzt
28-04-2009, 14:57
Add an inquisitor, make it his transport

NO! No outsiders! [I]especially[I] Inquisitors.
Just do it up in ravenwing colours and be done with it.
They can drive /anything/ even stolen ('requisitioned') valkyries.

wilsonian
28-04-2009, 14:59
My valk's will be used to transport my Storm troopers and I was tempted to purchase something else for ther =I=

MajorWesJanson
28-04-2009, 15:00
Actually, adding an inquisitor in a valk would have some fun story potential. One decided to poke his nose in, and maybe he is left hanging on the battlefield when a couple units are a turn too slow to support him...

BobTheZombie
28-04-2009, 15:11
If it's loaded with terminators, that will feel a bit iffy

I'd love to see a Valkyrie try and take off with 10 terminators inside. There'd be bets on how long it would take before gravity reclaimed them :D

AngryAngel
28-04-2009, 16:24
Quite honestly the Valk is such a sweet looking model, is a reason beyond that needed ? Do it man !! Do it for the Lion!!

A.S.modai
28-04-2009, 16:24
Just start a guard army. C'mon everybodys doin it.

NealSmith
28-04-2009, 16:27
I plan on buying it just because the model is so cool. Then I'll just make it available for other folks to use. There are 5-6 of us who are getting the model, so we could put on a pretty neat game with that many.

Once, I get done... I may decide to do an IG army afterall... LOL

Kirasu
28-04-2009, 16:34
They're both imperium and they do fight along side one another.. Thats like saying the air force wont support the army. It works fine for apocalypse. Read the IA books where you have multiple SM chapters and IG all fighting together

28-04-2009, 17:39
Just start a guard army. C'mon everybodys doin it.

no...start a guard army in 6 months when everyone is selling theirs on ebay :D

(glad I already have 5K IG just need a valk or 2 and a few more advisers)

Aurellis
28-04-2009, 17:48
You don't need to 'justify', just make sure you paint it up in guard colours and not Space Marine colours, otherwise it will make no sense and then you won't have a building block to starting an Imperial Guard army in the future.

Ruleswise, i'd let you take it as a gunship but I wouldn't be too happy about you using it for transporting Marines around.

Vaktathi
28-04-2009, 17:53
I don't own a guard army nor do I plan on getting one due to the sheer power and amount of models to paint. But there is one model I want and that is the Valkyrie/vendetta/vulture...but that's the problem the only place I could use it is in Apoc and that would probably **** a lot of fluff junkies.

I collect Dark Angels so I had the idea of a Ravenwing styled Valkyrie for fast drop troop missions. I have a Baneblade half painted in a style for Dark Angels so that sort of blends in but an aircraft is a different matter.

So could a Valkyrie fit into a Space Marine force, if it is apoc only?

Technically, it's not even a Guard vehicle, it's a Navy vehicle.

Fluffwise it wouldn't really fit, as the SM's don't use them as they have the far superior Thunderhawk as well has have Drop Pod capability. Where the IG uses Valks and Chimera's, the Space Marines use Thunderhawks, Rhino's and Drop Pods.

That said, in Apoc, I doubt too many people would care much as long as you weren't trying to load it with 12 terminators. I think it would actually be a rather interesting way to transport something like Scouts.

RichBlake
28-04-2009, 18:55
Technically, it's not even a Guard vehicle, it's a Navy vehicle.

Fluffwise it wouldn't really fit, as the SM's don't use them as they have the far superior Thunderhawk as well has have Drop Pod capability. Where the IG uses Valks and Chimera's, the Space Marines use Thunderhawks, Rhino's and Drop Pods.

This is the only hang up I'd have, Space Marines have their own transport and space vehicles seperate to the Imperial Navy (the transport vehicles usually being superior).

I could see a delegation using a Valkyrie to move from a location to the main battlefield but the Valkyrie wouldn't hang around.

If you wanted one THAT badly what I would reccomend is something out of the Ciaphas Cain novels. Commissar Cain was attached to a Space Marine Chapter to liaise between them and the Lord General. I suppose it could be the personal transport for a Lord Commissar that is liaising with the Dark Angels, which sort of gets used mid way through the battle in a desperate attempt to secure victory.

Overall though it's a bit dodgey, like including a Baneblade in a Space Marine army with no Imperial Guard present.

Latro_
28-04-2009, 19:05
No reason why the imperial navy would not be providing air support in an apoc game. Infact you 'should' include such units in an apoc game if you play marines. Guard, the navy pdf forces etc are much more likley to be involved in a huge battle/campaign, although not always the case Marines are meant to be a rapid in and out strike force.

Vaktathi
28-04-2009, 19:07
No reason why the imperial navy would not be providing air support in an apoc game. Infact you 'should' include such units in an apoc game if you play marines. Guard, the navy pdf forces etc are much more likley to be involved in a huge battle/campaign, although not always the case Marines are meant to be a rapid in and out strike force.

well, it assumes the Navy is there, which probably wouldn't be the case the majority of the time as SM's operate independently, and also assumed that they SM's aren't using their own aerospace assets. Thunderhawks are far superior in every way to a Valk and are used by the SM's in the majority of their engagements, they just happen to be too expensive for most people to justify buy one for their Marine army.

RichBlake
28-04-2009, 19:10

Umm yes there is a reason why the Imperial Navy wouldn't be helping, and that's because the Space Marines have all their own stuff.

The Navy helps the Guard and vice verse because the Guard has no naval assets and the Navy has no ground troops.

Space Marine Chapters have both naval assets AND ground troops so therefore they don't need to call on the Navy for help. It's possible that the Navy and the Space Marines may be operating in the same theatre, but the Navy would very very rarely come to the aid of a Space Marine chapter as usually they don't need it.

Put it this way, if the Marines were that desperate for help from the Navy they'd need a lot more then a single Valkyrie...

Eldoriath
28-04-2009, 20:57
Thought a valkyrie would look as a nice and fluffy-feeling addition to a ravenwing army, go for it! =)

SPYDER68
28-04-2009, 20:59
The real question is..... Why not ?

sigur
28-04-2009, 21:21
The real question is..... Why not ?

Yes, and about as helpful as replying "flowerpot!".

Anyhoo, of course you can't use it in your Space Marines army in 40k, I guess nobody questions that.

In apocalypse games....meh....I guess I can't do anything about that then. :p

SPYDER68
28-04-2009, 21:22
Yes, and about as helpful as replying "flowerpot!".

Anyhoo, of course you can't use it in your Space Marines army in 40k, I guess nobody questions that.

In apocalypse games....meh....I guess I can't do anything about that then. :p

Just about as helpful as you post stating Space marines can't use the Valk in regular 40k!

i don't think anyone realized that one :P

Mannimarco
28-04-2009, 21:35
alls fair in apocalyse, if i can see abbadon and some termys riding a squiggoth and an eldar baneblade then marines can get a valkryie

Ozendorph
28-04-2009, 21:48
I started my Guard because my brother bought me a Malcador for Christmas. I loved the tank, but couldn't see another way to field it with my Angels. I bought a single box of guardsmen to accompany the tank. A year and a half (and many ebay and FW purchases) later, my DA backup my IG companies in Apoc games.

Moral of story: Guard are addictive. Be afraid.

MistaGav
28-04-2009, 21:55
Yea that's why I won't get into guard purely because one tank isn't enough. At least with the Valkyrie I can have one or two and be done with it.

I will definitely get one purely because I want to and can but I think that painting it up in the Ravenwing sort of fits the Fluff. It can be used as an objective, point in a game or for fluff reasons the DA requested them for areas where Thunderhawks couldn't reach perhaps or it could be there to support the other ravenwing.
Rules wise I would probably stick scouts, assault marines or vets...certainly not terminators lol

SimonL
28-04-2009, 22:14
Customize it a bit and call it a "Vengeance" dropship or something. A Dark Angels vehicle like a lighter version of the Thunderhawk...

It's Imperial at least, there's some rational for it. Much better than Gazghull Thraka leading a brood of Carnifex or something equally random :P

Vaktathi
28-04-2009, 22:20
Well, lets be real, from a Fluff perspective it's not very fitting. The Dark Angels are probably the most reclusive, secretive, and self protective chapter that exists. They have their own aerospace and deep strike assets as well as their own fast skimmer type vehicles. "borrowing" a dropship from an outside organization, especially something like the Imperial Navy seems awkward for such a secretive chapter, especially given their suspicion of the inquisition which has vast networks throughout the Imperial Navy. Given that the Space Marines have no place within either the Imperial Navy or Imperial Guard's chain of command, obtaining such support would be awkward indeed.

It's a new model, you like it, you want to use it in a game that really doesn't follow the normal rules, that's fine, go for it for Apoc if you like, but it's not exactly a fluffy thing in any way, no more so than SM baneblades, IG thunderhawks or Tau Basilisks.

Cane
28-04-2009, 22:23
Proxy it as some kind of landspeeder =D

The Valk is definitely one cool model from GW, kudos to Forgeworld with hopefully more FW kits to come. Making plastic FW kits is a smart decision by GW.

RichBlake
28-04-2009, 22:29
Well, lets be real, from a Fluff perspective it's not very fitting. The Dark Angels are probably the most reclusive, secretive, and self protective chapter that exists. They have their own aerospace and deep strike assets as well as their own fast skimmer type vehicles. "borrowing" a dropship from an outside organization, especially something like the Imperial Navy seems awkward for such a secretive chapter, especially given their suspicion of the inquisition which has vast networks throughout the Imperial Navy. Given that the Space Marines have no place within either the Imperial Navy or Imperial Guard's chain of command, obtaining such support would be awkward indeed.

It's a new model, you like it, you want to use it in a game that really doesn't follow the normal rules, that's fine, go for it for Apoc if you like, but it's not exactly a fluffy thing in any way, no more so than SM baneblades, IG thunderhawks or Tau Basilisks.

Agreed. If you're desperate to use it as you like the model go for it, there's no real fluff justification though sadly.

Hlokk
28-04-2009, 22:37
Lots of fluff reasons it fits:
it could be comandeered for a special operation by the DA's
It could be an inquisitiors personal transport (Im getting 1 for this purpose)
It could be a pre heresy relic (they've got the only working jetbike so why not?)
Its Dark Angels: Cypher did it.
Space wolves use an exterminator
Iron warriors used to use basilisks.

At the end of the day, we're talking about Dark Angels, a chapter that will merrily **** off and follow its own objectives no matter who it annoys in the process. Given they can quite happily do that and bugger the plans up of many generals in the process, is it really a stretch for them to use a valk?

Ozendorph
28-04-2009, 22:43

So, given what you stated, what would a DA player use to "properly" represent the Unforgiven's own aerospace assets if not an Imperial vehicle? Would it be more logical to assert the DA and their successors designed and manufactured their own aircraft, rather than use a pre-existing STC? Is there any fluff to support this? (I don't read any of the BL novels, so I'm asking...not being sarcastic)

Vaktathi
28-04-2009, 23:08
Lots of fluff reasons it fits:
it could be comandeered for a special operation by the DA's What would they need a Valk for when they have Drop Pods, Rhino's, Land Speeders and Thunderhawks to do the same sort of jobs? Whatever they'd use a Valk for is what they use Thunderhawks for. That's why the Space Marines don't have Valkyries, they have the far superior Thunderhawk.

It could be an inquisitiors personal transport (Im getting 1 for this purpose) Re-read the Dark Angels fluff. They avoid the Inquisition at all costs.

It could be a pre heresy relic (they've got the only working jetbike so why not?) It's a massed produced standard vehicle. It's like taking a Chimera and calling it a pre-heresy relic :p

Its Dark Angels: Cypher did it. Cypher isn't even in their codex, and isn't a part of standing Dark Angles forces. Hell, he's not even a legally fieldable unit anymore.

Space wolves use an exterminator which many players think is also just as awkward (and seems like hamfisted addition to the codex) and it's likely they'll lose it in their upcoming codex, as most indications have pointed to.

Iron warriors used to use basilisks. An artillery reliant siege army that doesn't feel the need to be reclusive and remain hidden from others, or be bound by Imperial dictates and the Codex Astartes using looted enemy guns crewed by slaves is far more plausable in that situation from a fluff perspective. They also lost them with the newest codex.

At the end of the day, we're talking about Dark Angels, a chapter that will merrily **** off and follow its own objectives no matter who it annoys in the process. Given they can quite happily do that and bugger the plans up of many generals in the process, is it really a stretch for them to use a valk?Given their secretive nature, their already extensive aerospace assets, and lack of any command authority over the Imperial Navy to take one, yes. Again, what would a Valk accomplish that Land Speeders, Drop Pods, Thunderhawks cannot? Why would they require a Valk?

So, given what you stated, what would a DA player use to "properly" represent the Unforgiven's own aerospace assets if not an Imperial vehicle? Would it be more logical to assert the DA and their successors designed and manufactured their own aircraft, rather than use a pre-existing STC? Is there any fluff to support this? (I don't read any of the BL novels, so I'm asking...not being sarcastic) Their aerospace assets would consist of Drop Pods and Thunderhawks. The IG have no equivalent, hence why they have the Valkyrie. Space Marines have these things, and thus don't need the Valkyrie.

I don't wish to be offensive here, but lets clearly state what this is. This is a case of new toy syndrome. IG get something new and potentially useful in plastic, SM players look for justifications to fit it in their armies even though fluffwise they have something that should be fairly common amongst their chapters, but they'd rather just buy the less expensive IG kit than buy the model for their own version. Discussions on Marines taking Valks and Baneblades didn't occur when they were expensive FW models that were almost never fieldable. Nobody talked about trying to field them outside IG armies until they came out in plastic and became much cheaper. It happened with the baneblade, and it will happen with the Valk. Given the extra cost of the Thunderhawk, this is understandable to an extent. And for Apoc, fine go for it if you must. Just don't pretend it's fluffy in any way, it's not.

If the rumors surrounding a potential plastic Thunderhawk are true, I'll be just as assertive about them not being fluffy as IG units as I'm sure some IG player will want to use them as regimental vehicles in Apoc. And I'm sure we'll see far fewer SM players wanting to field Valks and BB's if/when such is released.

If you really do like the model and want to field it, go for it when playing Apoc. Just accept it's not true to the background and don't try to BS it is all.

Ozendorph
28-04-2009, 23:13
"New toy syndrome" meets "get the hell away from my toy! syndrome"

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only angst, jealousy, and fluff arguments ;)

Anyway, I agree it's best left as a Naval asset and used with IG (that's what I intend to do), but if you really want one coming up with an explanation is easy enough

warchild9
28-04-2009, 23:20
RAVENWING RESUPPLY SHIP......that is what I am going to call mine in my all scout army a resupply ship

Vaktathi
28-04-2009, 23:24
"New toy syndrome" meets "get the hell away from my toy! syndrome" True, but at least in this case, that's what the established fluff supports, which was the original topic, "would it fit?" established fluff answer is "no". By all means continue doing it any way if you wish, just accept that fact though.

It's not like the awkward new toy syndrome that occured as a result of the Space Marine codex where otherwise identical wargear and vehicles are now significantly different in capability and use for the same cost and no particular fluff reason.

Anyway, I agree it's best left as a Naval asset and used with IG (that's what I intend to do), but if you really want one coming up with an explanation is easy enough You can make up whatever you want sure, but you can do that to anything (e.g "my Eldar are using this Hammerhead and Carnifex because of Reason X"). I was going off established background to answer the original question.

Hlokk
28-04-2009, 23:36
If you really do like the model and want to field it, go for it when playing Apoc. Just accept it's not true to the background and don't try to BS it is all.
At the end of the day, and I know we've discussed this ad nausiam in that baneblade thread, its MY interpretation of the background that they could have one for the above reasons.

Frankly, anyone who gets rediculously anal over the background about a game of toy soldiers and feels the need to bitch and whinge at people for wanting to do something a little different and quite cool needs to go and take a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Vaktathi
28-04-2009, 23:51
Frankly, anyone who gets rediculously anal over the background about a game of toy soldiers and feels the need to bitch and whinge at people for wanting to do something a little different and quite cool needs to go and take a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror. Call me such if you must. To me, it's the background that makes this game. Not the rules, not even the models, but the story and fluff. It's an important part of the hobby as a whole (otherwise we might as well cut $10 off the cost of each codex and just buy laminated army rules and leave out the fluff).

The original poster asked if a Valk would fit in a DA army. I have merely pointed out that the established background says no. You can make anything up you want to justify anything in any army, it doesn't mean it's fluffy all of a sudden. I'm not saying "oh god you play Space Marines get away from my IG kit omgomgomgomg *mouthfrothing* etc." and if I come across as such I apologize. I'm saying, If you are going to do something contrary to the background, accept it for what it is and leave it at that, or find a way to incorporate it that is actually true to the established fluff, don't create some justification that's counter to the established background is all. If SM's get a plastic thunderhawk I'd have the same reaction to an IG player trying to load it with Stormtroopers and painting it in the colors of the Cadian 8th.

It's a new kit, and is something rather different from what we've seen before. I haven't noticed too many threads on SM players wanting fluff reasons to incorporate Leman Russ tanks, Chimera's, or Hellhounds into their Space Marine armies, why is it that every time IG gets something new we come to this same thing? If you want to do it, do it, but don't try and explain it as fluffy is all.

Ozendorph
29-04-2009, 00:08
Here's a story that relates to this topic. I'll try not to butcher the facts too badly.

I was at an air museum a couple months back, listening to a few guest lecturers. One guy was a U.S. fighter pilot that flew dozens of bomber-escort missions over Europe. He decided to use his time on stage to talk a bit about the gear and clothing he used during his service. It proved rather interesting.

He wore a wool cap and undergarments, as nearly all pilots did. However, he wore a British hat over his cap because it featured long flaps of material that covered the neck and kept him from getting sunburned. He wore what he referred to as a "British Field Dress" in flight, because he thought it would serve him much better than a regular flight suit if he was shot down. It was made in New Zealand and was softer and more pliable than the ones made more locally. He wore US goggles, but he wore a German O2 mask because it fit much more comfortably than his issued mask. He had to fit it with a microphone wire himself.

The point? If I showed a young WWII "expert" a model of a P-47 with a pilot standing next to it wearing a British cap, infantryman's field dress, and holding a Luftwaffe oxygen mask, he'd laugh aloud and proclaim there's no way that ever happened. My model is so screwed up, it's a joke. Oh my, what a grand collection of inaccuracies!

WWII only lasted ~10 years, and only involved a single planet. The galaxy is a big place...stuff happens. :)

Keichi246
29-04-2009, 19:18
Fluffwise?
A much tougher sell. Vaktathi is correct in that - by standard fluff - there should be no reason for the Dark Angels to have a Valkyrie of their own.

The Valkyrie is (barring new information that I haven't seen yet) an Imperial Navy craft that is assigned to support Imperial Guard operations. The Space Marines have their own - much more effective - air transport in the form of thunderhawks.

~~~~
Still - theoretically? I can see it - especially in a odd circumstance.

1) The Dark Angels in question are supporting an ongoing campaign that does involves Navy and Guard assets. There are Dark Angel units on the ground fighting for whatever reason. While the Dark Angels don't LIKE outsiders - they *do* support other imperial forces as part of their duty as Space Marines. (else they would have been excommunicated and exterminated long ago)

2) Suddenly, there is a terrible turn of events and the Imperial Navy and the Space Marines lose control of the high orbitals. Therefore, Thunderhawk and Drop pod support is unavailable until near orbital space has been retaken.

3) In the mean time, the Dark Angels have been requested by the local Imperial Commander to take out a transient high priority target. The Dark Angels - normally terribly insular, accept the mission because they know the target is or knows about the Fallen.

4) The transportation that the Imperial Commander has that is available and can get them to the transient target fast enough is a Valkyrie (or a Vendetta).

Blam! A fluffily justifable reason for Dark Angels using a Valk.

~~~
Heck, who even needs Apocalypse at that point?

I'd set up and play a normal small scale game of 40k (possibly a Combat patrol-esque mission). Your forces are a Valk and the 12 Dark Angel infantry models that can ride in it. My forces are an equivalent amount of points of army X. You deployment zone is your Valk. Your job is to capture/kill my commander and withdraw to the Valk. My job is to prevent that.

Dude - Tell me that *wouldn't* be a cool game of 40k! ;)

Heck - the follow up mission could be "Valkyrie down!" as the rest of the Dark Angels try to fight their way to the "now burning and crashed" Valkyrie to extract the surviors and all important Fallen.

~~~
The toughest part about that would justifying the Valkyrie being painted in sufficently "Dark Angel" colors. As a temporary assignment - the Valkyire SHOULD be wearing its Navy livery. Still - I could imagine a "Night Black" Navy paint scheme and markings getting an additional "ravenwing" insignia painted on hastily by its crew when they realize who they are transporting. The Dark Angels may not be *HAPPY* about that - grant you - but would a Navy crewman really care?

~~~~~
Just realize that - Yes, some people *will* say it's against the background. And theoretically - they are correct in saying so.

Clang
29-04-2009, 20:52
Personally I'd convert it into a low altitude troop lander which counts as a drop pod ruleswise. Fluffwise, it represents a battlefield modification/repair of a requisitioned Valk, either due to lack of drop pod availability or some sneaky new DA strategy, e.g. flying low to avoid orbital radar which would detect falling drop pods. Such troop landers would also have the advantage of being able to fly back to base after the battle.

My ork army has no such problems - they'll happily loot a Valk, rip the wings off, stick some wheels underneath, and there's a great new battlewagon! :)

Bunnahabhain
29-04-2009, 21:47
My ork army has no such problems - they'll happily loot a Valk, rip the wings off, stick some wheels underneath, and there's a great new battlewagon! :)

Now that's a waste of a model.

A valkyrie is going to be a great basis for a Fighta-Bommba.

Dr. Hellbeast
30-04-2009, 10:02
Seeing as you can pick one up for a little over 25 notes from certain online discounters, how can you possibly justify not picking one up? :)

popisdead
01-05-2009, 18:55
girls will like you more if you have a space ship.

Ozendorph
01-05-2009, 18:57
Girls prefer the Thunderhawk Transporter to the Valkyrie. Just a fact.

Hlokk
01-05-2009, 19:08
Girls prefer the Thunderhawk Transporter to the Valkyrie. Just a fact.
Indeed, I pulled a page 3 model using my Tau Manta. She'd never seen a bigger one :p

Seriously, Im doing a valk for my marines, if you want to do it, just do it.

EVIL INC
01-05-2009, 20:32
Personally, I think the model is awesome and worth it for the coolness value alone even if you dont actually use it.
As soon as I can afford one, I plan to start magnatizing and painting.

MistaGav
01-05-2009, 23:23
Well just for the record I ordered one anyway. I doubt I will actually use it in a game of 40k but it's there for the fact that I can.