PDA

View Full Version : is night lords a full infantry army?

changer of fate
29-04-2009, 10:03
hi guys, just wondering if night lords are a full infantry army or do they still adapt some transport and tanks.

if they do, would they only take rhino or a whole range of tanks?

solkan
29-04-2009, 12:34
Well, there's nothing really specific mentioned in Index Aestartes II, but the 2002 codex had the army trading two heavy support slots for an additional fast attack slot and a removal of the raptor 0-1 limit. A foot slogging Night Lords army would probably be unreasonable, just because that would be hard to describe as a fast moving force relying on speed, stealth, terror and overwhelming attacks.

Gorbad Ironclaw
29-04-2009, 13:56
I don't see why Night Lords wouldn't have just as many tanks and heavy equipment as any other Legion. The old Codex list to me was more a product of trying to force lists to be different rather than anything specifically Night Lord themed.

Now there preference might not be for lots of heavy equipment, but they certainly have it if they need it. And it probably sees quite a bit of use too.

Chaos Undecided
29-04-2009, 14:03
Night Lords still use vehicles where they are required, they seem to have a thing for chaining captives to the front of them to.

TheBigBadWolf
29-04-2009, 15:21
They do use vehicles, tanks, rhinos, bikes.

I have always though that the Night Lords would be a great candidate for using captured Imperial Land Speeders, they would really fit in with the lightning fast Night Lord terror tactics :).

Col. Dash
29-04-2009, 17:38
Yes they use vehicles. Theres an official fluff piece somewhere that describes ultra-****** and them fighting and the NLs had chained tortured UMs to the hoods of rhinos.

Ubermensch Commander
29-04-2009, 17:46
Night Lords modus operendai is Terror Tactics. Huge & scary vehicles fit right into this. They also tend to go hit and run alot and enjoy mobility (Scare the enemy by showing when/where they do not expect, scatter the herd, then RUN THEM DOWN!).
In short; yeah they use vehicles. A particular warleader may not but they arent (as a whole) averse to them.

changer of fate
30-04-2009, 08:25
thanks guys, i just converted two landspeeders into flying rhinos, would that be legal?

SimonL
30-04-2009, 12:23
Long as you don't use them as anything other than Rhinos yes.

Mannimarco
30-04-2009, 12:23
not in a tourny setting no, in a friendly i wouldnt have a problem with it.

see it as a rapid redeployment vehicle, used for getting elite teams in and out of enemy territory fast and unseen

Col. Dash
30-04-2009, 12:36
Why would it not be legal in a tourney. If he used GW parts and clearly explained what it really was. They are roughly the same size. As conversions are legal i wouldnt see any tourney problems either. As as he doesnt make it go 24 inches that is.

changer of fate
30-04-2009, 22:05
I already made one now and after some measuring, it is the same length and width as a rhino so i not sure why wouldn't it be legal in a tornament? there is no rule saying what does a rhino have to look like?

Necrotyr18
30-04-2009, 22:14
This is more of a rules question but because the conversion would have it on a flying base can you shoot under it. I am inclined to say yes as it is a legal converstion but the rules for rhino say tank not skimmer. I don't have my rulebook near me so am going off memory.

wolfslough
30-04-2009, 22:15
I think it's fine as it's only a disadvantage to him having his transport tank flying a few extra inches off the ground out of cover. As long as he still uses just the exact rules for the rhino that is, no flying over terrain and the like. I don't think you could really pull off a worthwhile fish of fury with the chaos rhino currently. The enemy would just get a 4+ cover say anyway so it just hurts instead of having a solid wall to hide your disembarking men behind for a turn.

changer of fate
01-05-2009, 07:24
oh well, i proberbly wont take this army to a torney then