PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid popsicles

madd0ct0r
02-05-2009, 00:51
Or how do the Nids cope when invading ice worlds?

Deus
02-05-2009, 02:43
They wrap themselves in the warm carcasses of their victims, flayer style :)

RedStompa
02-05-2009, 02:55
Actually I think they cope pretty well, I think in one of the ultramarines book, the first wave or so were killed almost instantly, and they immediately adapted thereafter.

Lord of ???
02-05-2009, 04:50
They freeze to Death in horrible numbers and then they adapt and get additional fatty layers to protect against the cold.

Thrax
02-05-2009, 07:20
Hard to say what temperature they are originally conditioned to live in. Perhaps they are from a cold environment and they've developed vents and such to cool themselves in what we consider 'normal' temperature ranges.

Lukus83
02-05-2009, 07:28
Didn't hive fleet behemoth invade the polar fortresses of Macragge. They did ok there...

Tastyfish
02-05-2009, 11:25
Actually I think they cope pretty well, I think in one of the ultramarines book, the first wave or so were killed almost instantly, and they immediately adapted thereafter.

Because the drop sites had been coated with toxin and virus weaponry, it wasn't the cold that took them out.

Devil Tree
02-05-2009, 11:35
They could just grow an insulating layer on their carapaces. They might look kind of funny, but something like fur or feathers should do the trick.

Evilhomer
02-05-2009, 12:42
Feathered carnifex? Love it.

Not entirely inplausible. Its assumed that lots of dinosaurs were feathered now.

Vampiric16
02-05-2009, 14:41
The stealers make planetfall long before the main fleet. Plenty of time to scope out the planet and send a message back to the hive:
Dear Mother,
Plenty of food here, some resistance. Bit nippy, so bring a fleece.
Love Clancy
P.S. Don't eat the yellow snow.

a squig
02-05-2009, 15:04
genstelers can oprate quite happily in space thats 3 degree above asoulte zero so most ice worlds would be a walkover. but other creatures like gaunts will die my thousnads till the nxt fatty wave comes down.

BuFFo
02-05-2009, 20:46
Being that Tyranids are capable of surviving travel between galaxies, I think an Ice World would serve no problem for them at all.

Remember, Tyranids eat all bio matter, and the majority of planets (barring those with gravity enough to crush the Tyranids) are frozen wastelands of various chemicals anyway.

I think the issue would be, when a Tyranid Fleet finally comes across a 'Class M' planet, do they break out the beach chairs, straw hats and margaritas.

I mean, after living thousands of years in the dead frozen void of space, eating planets made of deadly methane near absolute zero temperatures, and atmosphere void-mineral rich asteroids in the vacuum of space, I am sure the vacation climate of such humanoid-habitable planets must be a shock to them.

mr gribbly
02-05-2009, 21:28
Being that Tyranids are capable of surviving travel between galaxies, I think an Ice World would serve no problem for them at all.

Remember, Tyranids eat all bio matter, and the majority of planets (barring those with gravity enough to crush the Tyranids) are frozen wastelands of various chemicals anyway.

I think the issue would be, when a Tyranid Fleet finally comes across a 'Class M' planet, do they break out the beach chairs, straw hats and margaritas.

I mean, after living thousands of years in the dead frozen void of space, eating planets made of deadly methane near absolute zero temperatures, and atmosphere void-mineral rich asteroids in the vacuum of space, I am sure the vacation climate of such humanoid-habitable planets must be a shock to them.

Well in all likelihood, the combat forms wont be needed on a planet that that is that cold. So will probably built for similar temperatures as they're prey (seeing as how all the 40k races seem to need roughly the same climates to survive).

Also rippers and the other final stage forms are dissolved at the end of the invasion, so it wouldn't be to hard to make sure that the new batch will survive long enough to be useful.

Carkey
03-05-2009, 13:10
Seeing as Hive Ships live in the absolute zero of space, I think the smaller critters on cold planets will survive just fine.

Terror of the East
03-05-2009, 14:23
Wasn't Old One Eye encased in ice when they found him, then when he thawed the carnifex went mental and was very much alive! suggests some tyranids can survive the icy cold. Although its worth noting the could regenerate so maby he was constantly regenerating his wounds inflicted by the cold...

madd0ct0r
03-05-2009, 20:39
nah, even on earth there's quite a few creatures that can survive being frozen solid and a few more with antifreeze in their blood.

Presumably in transit, the hordes are allowed to freeze while the bio ships stay working. Once in orbit, thermostat goes ping!

It wasn't that that intrested me.

A layer of fat for each bug means a lot more energy commited to the initail assualt. Sure the hive mind expects to get it back later but it must raise the risk of assaults for the fleet?
Feathers are the other obvious option, but they might get a bit soggy with all the internal fluids being sprayed about. Soggy feathers just aren't as much fun.

Finally, colud they have deliberate air spaces under the chitin to act as a insulating layer?

Tastyfish
03-05-2009, 23:32
There is no doubt the hive fleets have come across a methane world, Titan is one in our solar system and we suspect there are some methane ecosystems on Earth. Most biological reactions are unusual enough to not occur without help, so the Tyranid's wouldn probably have the basics down already.

Lothlanathorian
03-05-2009, 23:51
Seeing as Hive Ships live in the absolute zero of space, I think the smaller critters on cold planets will survive just fine.

Incorrect, good sir. Space is not absolute zero.

And what if the 'Nids combat organism had either a ridiculously high metabolism for when fighting in the cold, some kind of chemical heat generated inside of their body (like the heating packs in MREs) or the equivalent of anti-freeze in their bodily fluids?

Remember, Tyranid combat form are designed to survive high amounts of physical damage and kill very efficiently, they don't need a long life span to do either since, in the end, they we be rendered down anyways.

Grindgodgrind
04-05-2009, 00:30
Wasn't Old One Eye encased in ice when they found him, then when he thawed the carnifex went mental and was very much alive! suggests some tyranids can survive the icy cold. Although its worth noting the could regenerate so maby he was constantly regenerating his wounds inflicted by the cold...

I think that's based on 'The thing from another world'.

incarna
04-05-2009, 04:17
whatever cold a tyranid has to endure while within an ice planet pales in comparison to what they must indure within the fridged depths of space.

Logarithm Udgaur
04-05-2009, 04:44
How did they build a fridge that fits the entirety of space in it?

StarshipBOb
04-05-2009, 06:20
And what if the 'Nids combat organism had either a ridiculously high metabolism for when fighting in the cold

I've always just assumed that the Hive Mind told their subordinates to ramp up their metabolism in lieu of an arctic invasion as well. Well initially at least.