PDA

View Full Version : What does power armour sound like?

Demon Druss
02-05-2009, 16:10
I've always been curious what power armor sounds like. Does it sound like a modern generator,car etc or is it silent? Some books describe servo motors in the armor humming and screaming depending on the exertion placed upon them while other books describe the marines as being like silent statues with no noise and movement.

101st Vostroyan
02-05-2009, 16:15
I would have to say it is silent, exept for the sound it makes when bumping into rock or walking (the noise of feet hitting the ground)

Rockerfella
02-05-2009, 17:06
I quite like the sound they make in the Dawn of war II trailers etc. Check that out for an idea of what they could sound like!

Wicksy
02-05-2009, 21:33
I've always imagined that terminators sound like robocop walking about. I'd imagine the power armour might sound similar.

Phoenix Blaze
02-05-2009, 22:04
I would imagine there would be a slight hum, something that could be blanketed with low level talking or something. And of course, the classic hiss of servo motors.

I can't imagine them having the mechanical noises of robocop, not Power Armour anyway. It seems to be fairly easy to move in, and at great speeds, and robocop is neither of those.

Chaos Undecided
02-05-2009, 22:23
It seems to vary a lot from different sources I would guess that it is possible for the armour to run almost silently for the wearer to operate stealthily but when the suits systems are being pushed say for example the wearer is running or putting strain on the strength boosting systems it may well make robocopesque mechanical noises.

It could also vary of course depending on the variant and age of the suit in use.

chrismp_123
02-05-2009, 22:51
I've always imagined that terminators sound like robocop walking about. I'd imagine the power armour might sound similar.

I agree :chrome:

spacewolf_sven
12-05-2009, 05:50
The Space Wolf Novels give the impression that when it's at optimum, the Wolves have no trouble being stealthy

farmersboy
12-05-2009, 09:36
Given that power armour works through fibre bundles I would have thought the only noise sources would be either the power pack or the auto-reactive shoulder pads (unless they operate via fibre bundles too).

Ynek
12-05-2009, 09:47
Given that space marines use various types of armour, ranging from around mark 3 to mark 8, I think it's more than possible that the sounds of each mark of armour will be different.

Some of the more recent armours might make no noise at all, whilst some of the older variants might make a bit more of a rammy.

Inquisitor S.
12-05-2009, 14:14
Some of the more recent armours might make no noise at all, whilst some of the older variants might make a bit more of a rammy.

Or rather the other way round as tech-levels go down, not up ;)

Ynek
13-05-2009, 14:34
Tech level goes in both directions in the Imperium. It could be that a new STC was discovered that led to the construction of the more recent armours, so for all we know, they could be more advanced.

And considering that mark eight armour is reserved for only the elite space marines (Grey knights, for example), I think we can assume that it's probably the best power armour aside from artificer. And as I think we can assume the more advanced forms of armour are probably the better ones, I think we can assume that mark eight armour would be more advanced than the earlier marks.

Therefore, I think that technology might be getting better with regards to power armour.

daemonkin
13-05-2009, 14:53
You wouldn't want to be a sneaky stealth Alpha Legionnaire just to have the enemy spot you when you have an itch and scratch your ass.

D.

farmersboy
13-05-2009, 16:00
That begs the question - when you're sealed up in power armour just how do you scratch that itch?

RCgothic
13-05-2009, 16:08
You man up and ignore it.

Lavadude360
13-05-2009, 16:09
That begs the question - when you're sealed up in power armour just how do you scratch that itch?

If your a tech priest you set a plasma cutter on that ass! :D

If not I imagine with great difficulty! :evilgrin:

LD

daemonkin
13-05-2009, 16:30
<screeeeech><screeeeech>
followed by 'aaaaaah that got it'

I'd imagine.

D.

Urath
13-05-2009, 16:34
I quite like the sound they make in the Dawn of war II trailers etc. Check that out for an idea of what they could sound like!

The Dawn of War II intro is epic. Or do you mean gameplay trailers?

x-esiv-4c
13-05-2009, 17:05
"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee chuk Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee chuk"

like that.

:D