PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids - exoskeleton queary

huitzilopochtli
02-05-2009, 17:45
My question is this, do Tyranids have an internal skeleton as well as their chitinous exoskeleton? Because if they don't, they should be greatly limited in their size by the weight of their exoskeleton. That's one of the features that keeps insects small after all.

Kurisu313
02-05-2009, 18:02
Yes, they do.

Mannimarco
02-05-2009, 18:03
its odd to have an internal and external skeletal structure but yeah nids have both

Demon Druss
02-05-2009, 18:12
Yup and about 3 or 4 redundant organs for nearly any situation or environment the 3rd edition of the nids codex is a good source.

huitzilopochtli
02-05-2009, 18:44
Ok, thanks everyone.

BaronDG
02-05-2009, 20:52
I think it's a good way to show that they are not natural beings...

petesamd
02-05-2009, 21:08
yep, I thin the gene stealer kit comes with a skull.

SimonL
02-05-2009, 22:56
My question is this, do Tyranids have an internal skeleton as well as their chitinous exoskeleton? Because if they don't, they should be greatly limited in their size by the weight of their exoskeleton. That's one of the features that keeps insects small after all.

Plenty worse examples of unrealistic design in 40k lol.

Messiah
03-05-2009, 12:59
What keeps insects small has even more to do with their circulatory system though.

Kraxis
03-05-2009, 21:09
What keeps insects small has even more to do with their circulatory system though.

Both of them. The circulatory system obviously can't support anything big, but the exoskeletion also has a lot to say.

Black Antelope
03-05-2009, 21:26

And the respiratory system

They lack blood vessels - nutrients etc must circulate in the tissue fluid (so horribly inefficient in anything in anything bigger than your hand). However, 'nids could easily have a heart and vessel system.

More problematic IMO is the fact they have spiracles (instead of lungs and red blood cells, insects have tubes that directly feed gaseous oxygen to the muscle tissue.) Again, this system cannot support anything much larger than an insect - and a large, active, warm-blooded organism (even a ripper) could not survive.

Obviously, I understand their there because its part of the 'creepy space insect' look, and they have could have lungs as well.

Inquisitor Engel
03-05-2009, 21:32
The higher the oxygen content of a given ecosystem, the larger the bugs, by the way.

Hideous Loon
03-05-2009, 21:36
Why do Tyranids have an exoskeleton? I'm sure that part of it is due to hammering in their status as Genetically Engineered Bio-Weapon Thing, that even their armour is grown, rather than manufactured. Same with their guns, symbiotic shooting things are more in character with the 'Nids than anything else.

Also, I don't think that having an endoskeleton is incompatible with an exoskeleton. After all, the exoskeleton's main purpose is to protect, rather than provide support.

TheBigBadWolf
03-05-2009, 21:56

Well considering they were actually created as a space dinosaurs concept, not bugs, I would say that they do have an internal skeleton.

Black Antelope
03-05-2009, 21:59
The higher the oxygen content of a given ecosystem, the larger the bugs, by the way.

yes, but they have been shown to operate in normal oxyegn enviroments (99% of human worlds), and on spiracles alone, a fex would need a 90%+ oxygen atmospher. And then when it fired a weapon that involved any heat discharge (ie deathspitter), it would explode:skull:.

Although the image of nid wearing a diving tank is quite funny...

Messiah
03-05-2009, 22:12

Which is why we had huge bugs in the carboniferous.

http://www.livescience.com/animals/061011_giant_insects.html

Col. Tartleton
04-05-2009, 01:41
I wouldn't be surprised if they had lungs with airways leading from the spiracles.

Ultimately it will allow them to live without a head (presuming they have a redundant nervous system which the whole catalyst power implies) long enough to serve their purposes. Having all the sensory systems in the head won't matter if they have a psychic link to a hive mind, can continue breathing, their hearts are fine. Then you have a creature that will continue to fight even when it should be dead. Also Nids don't need to eat (lifespan is too short to require a digestive system as they have fat deposits.)

Hellebore
04-05-2009, 02:59
The exoskeleton is there for armoured protection. It's more like dermal ossicles than a true exoskeleton.

Many tyranids don't even have a digestive system. They bathe in the nutrient pools and absorb the pure energy. Their mouths don't have an oesophagus going to a stomach, there instead as another weapon.

They aren't designed to survive past their mission statement.

Hellebore