PDA

View Full Version : Orks - Wierdboys, Madboys & Clans

rivers3162
04-05-2009, 00:09
I was looking through SOL the other day and noticed all the clan-specific wierdboys GW used to produce and it got me thinking. I was wondering whereabouts I could find more info on Ork psychic powers and wierdboys. I've got a really old WD somewhere which has loads of rules for madboys (I think theres one about them hating the colour red - possibly a reference to the red era of 'eavy metal).

I don't have a copy of the 3rd edn. ork codex at the minute but wondered if there was much in it about wierdboys in ork society? I might be making this up but was there something in the fluff that suggested certain clans (I want to say Bad Moons...) had more wierdboys and madboys? Would it be possible for orks to have some sort of genetic weakness or flaw that made them more likely to develop psychic abilities, in the same way that Bad Moons grow their teeth faster?

If anyone can give me more info about this I'd be very grateful as I've been wracking my brains for a couple of days and its starting to drive me mad!

Logarithm Udgaur
04-05-2009, 02:33
I am pretty sure it was the Snakebites that had a higher proportion of Madboyz/Weirdboyz in their ranks. I seem to remember that they were heavily featured in the old Feral Orks list also, in order to make up for their comparative lack of heavy weapons.

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-05-2009, 11:28
Actually I think it was Bad Moons that had more weirdboyz. Likely a side effect of whatever makes there teeth grow faster.

Born Again
04-05-2009, 11:55
Indeed, back in 2nd ed (moreso the early days) weirdboyz were associated with the bad moons. Madboyz were linked to Warpheads, but not necessarily to any particular clan.

The link between weirdboyz and snakebites happened in 3rd, when weirdboyz were dropped from the main army list, but were kept in the Feral Ork list, probably to a) act as heavy weaponry and b) act as a shaman to reinforce the Feral image. There's nothing to really state them as being more common amongst snakebites though.

Sheena Easton
04-05-2009, 13:00
Bad Moonz tended to have more Wierdboyz than other Clans (Evil Sunz had more Meks & Bikerz, Deathskullz more Painboyz, Goffs more Nobz & Skarboyz, Snakebitez more Runtherdz, Boarboyz & Wildboyz, Blood Axes fewer Nobz, more Kommandoz).

Madboyz weren't associated with any one klan as they all had boyz with Madboy tendancies

Warpheads were more associated with Freebooterz as they weren't always tolerated by clans / tribes - though like other Wierdboyz, they were probably more prevalent in Bad Moonz.

endless
04-05-2009, 20:32
I think that in Waaghh the Orks, Snakebites did actually have large numbers of both Weird and Mad boyz, though not necessarily more than certain other clans. IIRC each army list entry had limits or bonuses to the numbers depending on the clan. So both Bad Moonz and Snakebites would have more weirdboyz, Goffs more Stormboys, etc. etc. Again, IIRC, only Snakebites and Blood Axes had unique options (Boars and Human mercenaries respectively). Oh, and the WD with the Madboyz rules was 126, which also saw the introduction of Epic knights and the Epic Space Marine army lists. In the latter Andy Chambers created an army called the Valedictors, thus giving rise to the, incorrect, assumption that they were one of the 'missing legions'. :eyebrows: