PDA

View Full Version : What do theTyranids gain from eating human DNA

kylsnik ironhead
04-05-2009, 09:30
Ok everyone chew on this for abit

when the Tyranids Ate Eldar and got Zoanthropes

they munched Orks and got Biovores (Never understood that)

they ate Marines and got Tyrant Guards

so when they eat you plain un-genetically altered human what do they gain
same goes for eating Tau whats the gain.

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-05-2009, 09:45
Basic humans and Tau isn't cool, so no nid creatures was morphed into being created from them.

Neither the Zoanthrope nor the Biovore was originally speculated to be based on anything from this galaxy so it seems like it was an idea brought in later. And I guess they just didn't had any good ideas for what to make for Humans and Tau.

Chaos Undecided
04-05-2009, 09:45
Really I'd say the masses of humans they've consumed has given them nothing but lots of raw material with which to churn out more and more bio beasts. Human and Tau genetics really dont have anything that useful to offer them in my opinion.

The only tyranids that may have absorbed some human characteristics are stealers as they would seem to have changed a great deal from the original leech faced versions first found on Ymgarl but being that tyranid organisms are generally reabsorbed and recycled after each planetary conquest this may have just been the way they developed exposed to the native fauna on that moon.

Kordos
04-05-2009, 09:47

Orks are fungus, Spores, Spore Mines, creature that makes Spore Mines

Mr Zoat
04-05-2009, 09:50
Originally Zoanthropes were modified Tyranid Warriors.

http://www.geocities.com/flying_slinky/Zoanthrope.gif

Solar_Eclipse
04-05-2009, 09:57
Genestealers or at least thats where they get Genestealers from.

A Tau doesnt really have anything advantageous biologically, so nothing there, really.

changer of fate
04-05-2009, 10:11
they should get some decent guns by eating tau battle suits or just fire warriors. but stupid GW never gave us that option.........

Corax
04-05-2009, 10:12
50% of their daily fibre needs?

Crazy Ivan
04-05-2009, 10:28
they should get some decent guns by eating tau battle suits or just fire warriors. but stupid GW never gave us that option.........
Would be a bit silly if they could use the DNA from a piece of technology though...

Heh, did I just use the word "silly" to defend Tyranid biology? :p

The way I understand it, Tyranids need biomass to reproduce (basically, everything organic and then some is "food", i.e. they're the ultimate omnivores). The hivemind, unlike, for example, Kroot, seems able to select usefull strands of DNA for use in new generations of Tyranids. If ordinary human DNA has nothing particularly usefull to the 'Nids, they'll just use humans as food and be done with it.

Think about it:
Eldar = fancy restaurant eating
Marines = good home cooking
Orks = healthy greens
Humans = fast food

:rolleyes:

GeneralDisaster
04-05-2009, 11:18
Think about it:
Eldar = fancy restaurant eating
Marines = good home cooking
Orks = healthy greens
Humans = fast food

:rolleyes:

You, sir, are going straight in my siggy.

Putty
04-05-2009, 11:25

so when they eat you plain un-genetically altered human what do they gain
same goes for eating Tau whats the gain.

They get the following from humans:

appetite for sex
appetite for food
ability to fart
possibility to grow sex organs
did I mention sex?

chromedog
04-05-2009, 11:39
Regularity?

Biomass.

If they eat the right people, the collective IQ of the Hive consciousness and humanity BOTH go up.

Messiah
04-05-2009, 11:41
Opposable thumbs!

Crazy Ivan
04-05-2009, 11:47
You, sir, are going straight in my siggy.
:D That's the first time I'm being sigged!

Vote Kantor
04-05-2009, 12:06
Opposable thumbs!

Q

F

T

You, just won this thread in my eyes!

mukelnas
04-05-2009, 13:50

you forgot one

they ate Squats and got Raveners (they dig really well)

Maidel
04-05-2009, 13:59
Actually - someone already gave the correct answer - its genestealers.

If you go back through the fluff genestealers used to be the feedril tendril type - no real head, just a mass of tenticles.

When they discovered humans and took their genes they produced the genestealer we know which is two clawed hands, two 'humanoid' hands and a 'face'

mattcollins1986
04-05-2009, 18:21
I agree with Maidel, the human body gave them the genestealers that we now all know and love.

Tau wouldnt really give them anything genetically advantageous, as Tau get their strength from the technology, apart from their baby blue skin :D

SabrX
04-05-2009, 19:01
Tau = fish or cow
Orks = lotsa muscles
Space Marines = a little chewy and hard to digest (caraspace armor underneath skin)
IG = just right
Kroot = taste like chicken
Eldar = nothing but skin and bones
Dark Eldar = spiky and not safe to eat considering all those drugs...
Plague Marines = uhh....
Khorne Bezerkers = very salty from high concentration of blood, but quite juicy.
Slaanesh = delectable
Necrons = like tin foil

Kraxis
04-05-2009, 19:04
I agree with Maidel, the human body gave them the genestealers that we now all know and love.

Tau wouldnt really give them anything genetically advantageous, as Tau get their strength from the technology, apart from their baby blue skin :D

Nah, i'm sure the Tau could give a lot of cool stuff. Eat a Tau and then a VERY ugly old man and you get Ugliothropez - blue old ******** with I's in their face.:D Uber.

danny-d-b
04-05-2009, 19:11
the ability to fire weapons?
ever wonder why mutated spiders have guns?

yep they ate guardsmen

the other option is that they are an impirum population control mesure that went wrong, rarther than just eating guardsmen that are surpuls to requiments, they took a likeing to marrines, and after eating a librarian and found chaous/ phycic powers to there likeing went after eldar/ chaos

why they would go after tau, I have no idea, the ability to breath under warter? (tau looking like fish to me)

aberrant_unc
04-05-2009, 19:27
50% of their daily fibre needs?

Tau taste great on crackers and also make an excellent chip dip. Tyranids with good taste serve them at superbowl parties across the galaxy.

Messiah
04-05-2009, 20:42
Necrons = like tin foil

So.. They eat Necrons to gain protection from mind-control?

Ertle
04-05-2009, 21:25
Im gonna quote TV and go with something on the Doctor. The one episode some guy gets his DNA rearranged and some unused genes get mixed up and hes a giant monster thing. So maybe they are looking for that idk.
l

Red_Crawler
04-05-2009, 21:46
The short and unfunny answer is more Biomass = more creatures, and there are trillions upon trillions of humans for that.

An alternate answer would be that humans are the most widely-available source of psyker dna around (they've GOTTA be running outta Eldar by now...), with all those tasty planets they control as a side bonus.

Eldarion
04-05-2009, 21:51
I don’t get it, what’s the Hive minds objective? How would they benefit by consuming all life in the universe and making it barren?

Red_Crawler
04-05-2009, 21:55
I don’t get it, what’s the Hive minds objective? How would they benefit by consuming all life in the universe and making it barren?

"I don't get it, what's Humanity's objective? How would they benefit from killing their own planet and making it barren?"

The drive for intelligent life to survive and thrive is selfish and destructive by nature.

teanabowlie
05-05-2009, 02:48
IIRC Tyranid's go straight for any concentrated population on any planet they hit, so they can do a proper clean up job on all the flora and fauna afterwards. Even a billion humans would only give you a fraction of the biomass there is on a whole planet. Its like when you're a kid and you have to chomp down all that brocolli before you're allowed your desert.

Lothlanathorian
05-05-2009, 09:09
If they eat the right people, the collective IQ of the Hive consciousness and humanity BOTH go up.

So, if we can direct them to eat only people who watch MTV, we can win the fight against the Tyranids by making them too stupid to think!

genestealer_baldric
05-05-2009, 09:34
known tyranid orgins:

genestealers: humans
zonthrope:eldar
tyrant guard: space marines
biovores : orks
broodlord: big genestealer

unknown tyranid orgins?

gargoyle: pigeons
carnifex:Er.... they humped a leman russ??
lictor: camelion skinks.... what do you me retconned
gaunts: small and stunty .. squats ;)
warriors: dunno er... when a mommy hive tyrant and daddy broodlord.. wait, no iam not going there
tyrant: one of sensai.... dammit another retconne

What current races could give them?

tau :an irratating cheerfull outlook on the universe

joreko(sp) orange fir and the ablity to peel banannas with feet

AdMec.. ooooo cyborg nids :)

necrons: oooo telporting nids

put together the new options and you get is a cyborg orangutans throwing banana bombs at people and telporting into cc to tell them its not all bad and then give them a hug..

What iam NOT mad :evilgrin:

Geep
05-05-2009, 09:38
I donít get it, whatís the Hive minds objective? How would they benefit by consuming all life in the universe and making it barren?
By the time tyranids have eaten one part of the universe there's probably something new to eat somewhere else- there's an insanely large gap between galaxies and tyranids move very slowly.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if tyranids gained shooting abilities from the Tau in the future (maybe working it into a new design for epic tyranid artillery)- it doesn't make sense, but somehow zoanthropes developed eldar helmet heads from eating them...

ten_ninjas
05-05-2009, 23:33
Adding to the whole 'Human/Genestealer' thing, if i remember correctly they had kind of a leech like mouth with a bajillion teeth originally, due to impregnating some creature native to Ymargl (is that the right spelling?) and may/may not take on physical features of the hosts hence the human looking 'stealers. I'd have to dig out my Rogue Trader book tomorrow to %100 confirm it though. The old parents wouldn't take to kindly to me getting in the loft to search out 40k fluff at midnight...

If I'm wrong though feel free to light me up ;)

Mannimarco
06-05-2009, 00:11
the original stealers were indeed found on ymargl and had a leech type mouth like the native fauna, this was long before hive fleet behemoth turned up at tyran so at this point nobody knew stealers were a vanguard organism for the nids

Marshal2Crusaders
06-05-2009, 03:37
A sense of humor.

Hellebore
06-05-2009, 04:04
Our brain capacity. Yep, the Tyranids are DOOOMMED!

Hellebore

Balance-keeper
06-05-2009, 04:07
I donít get it, whatís the Hive minds objective? How would they benefit by consuming all life in the universe and making it barren?

Its just thier nature... and becos they are instinct based life... thats what makes them so superour to every other biological life forms.

Oh and just for Info... the tyranids didn't GET any of their creatures from anything in this galaxy.... they simply adapted creatures to kill things in this galaxy...thats all!!

Alessander
06-05-2009, 04:14
ability to stand on 2 legs, as opposed to 4.

with the Tau, possible boost to synapse systems?

Axel
06-05-2009, 10:04
Administrative incompetence.

Lothlanathorian
06-05-2009, 11:30
Administrative incompetence.

LOL!

the tyranids didn't GET any of their creatures from anything in this galaxy

You, sir, are incorrect. The 3rd Edition Tyranid Codex says that certain Tyranids are made from the DNA of species indigenous to our galaxy. Unfortunately, I can't find my 3rd Ed. Codex right now (I did just spend a good bit of time looking for it) and I do not believe it has ever been directly contradicted.

And Inquisitor Kryptmann believes that Tyranids are incapable of good old fashioned Human hatred and that is why we should kill them (and they're f'n scary as all get out), so, maybe that is what they will get from us: Hatred.

changer of fate
06-05-2009, 11:34
i still getting pissed off at the fact that tyranids is the only race in the game that don't have a decent gun.........eat more tau, eat more tau, eat more tau

genestealer_baldric
06-05-2009, 11:42
no dont eat more Tau we will loose our depth perception.

electricwolf
06-05-2009, 14:47
I would say that should tyranids eat humans they get the following:

- the wanting to make constant war against each other
- the desire to be self-centered, deceitful, and the desire for wealth at all costs.
- the ability to fart
- the ability to write alot of red tape for other tyranids to try to work through
- the ability to have emotions

x-esiv-4c
06-05-2009, 15:18
I'd hate to see what you would get if they consumed DNA from the ultra-violent Thraxian elite....

RichBlake
06-05-2009, 15:26
I'll tell you what they got:

WAR

Tyranids were peaceful until one of them accidentally ingested some humans, then they realised this War business is rather profitable and launched Wars against everyone.

On a serious note I'd assume none of the Tyranid creatures are made entirely out of DNA of a specific race. For all we know Humans could be the catalyst needed to mix DNA successfully.

changer of fate
07-05-2009, 12:12
u proberbly get diaria

Askil the Undecided
07-05-2009, 12:31
When 'nids eat Humans they probably get more human-viable genestealer DNA strains making the breeding of purestrains easier/faster from human hybrids.

Or they engineer more human-lethal toxins from the genetic blueprint of the human immune system.

Or the hive mind and the 'nids general psyker-stuff grows stronger on the genetic psychic potential of Humans just like than of Eldar.

But more importantly the 'nids get a lot of Deoxyribonucleic Acid genetic building material. Far from using Human DNA to make things more human it shreds the helix to attain the components to create new genetic codes and recombine them with the older genetic codes it any way in chooses.

a squig
07-05-2009, 15:23
its obvious they get ...high?