PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like doing this?

The Emperor
07-05-2009, 15:59
Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but does anyone else like going through old battle reports and converting the army to the newest edition? Trying to stick as close to the composition of the army in the battle report as possible while still remaining rules legal? It's something I invariably end up doing whenever I get a new Codex. For instance, I recently got my hands on Codex: Space Marines. And after looking at the battle report in White Dwarf #141, I felt like converting the Blood Angels army contained therein. The original army consisted of the following:

Captain
Lieutenant
Librarian
Chaplain
Medic
3 Techmarines
Tactical Squad (Flamer, Missile Launcher)
Tactical Squad (Flamer, Missile Launcher)
Devastator Squad (2 Heavy Bolters, 2 Missile Launchers)
Terminator Squad (Assault Cannon, Chainfist)
Thudd Gun
Rhino
Land Speeder

So converting that, I came up with the following:

HQ
125 CAPTAIN - Artificer Armor, Boltgun, Bolt Pistol, Digital Weapons, Frag & Krak Grenades, Iron Halo

(The Captain in the battle report also had Artificer Armor, as well as a Refractor Field and Jokaero Digital Weapons)

175 EPISTOLARY LIBRARIAN - Power Armor, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades, Force Weapon, Psychic Hood (Smite, Vortex of Doom)

175 COMMAND SQUAD (5) - Power Armor, Chainsword, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades
Company Champion: Power Weapon, Combat Shield
Apothecary: Narthecium
1 Veteran: Company Standard
2 Veterans: Power Sword

(Needed the Command Squad in order to take the Apothecary. The Company Champion is also the replacement for the Lieutenant. And since I couldn't take a Chaplain, I gave the last two Veterans power swords to make up for the lack of a Chaplains power weapon attacks)

TROOPS
170 TACTICAL SQUAD (10) - Power Armor, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades
Sergeant: Boltgun
7 Marines: Boltgun
1 Marine: Flamer
1 Marine: Missile Launcher

170 TACTICAL SQUAD (10) - Power Armor, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades
Sergeant: Boltgun
7 Marines: Boltgun
1 Marine: Flamer
1 Marine: Missile Launcher

35 RHINO - Storm Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers

ELITES
235 TERMINATOR SQUAD (5) - Terminator Armor
Terminator Sergeant: Storm Bolter, Power Sword
2 Terminators: Storm Bolter, Power Fist
1 Terminator: Storm Bolter, Chainfist
1 Terminator: Assault Cannon, Power Fist

FAST ATTACK
80 LAND SPEEDER SQUADRON (1) - 2 Multi-Meltas

(The original Land Speeder was armed with a meltagun and a multi-melta, so going with two multi-meltas seemed the quickest and easiest conversion)

HEAVY SUPPORT
230 DEVASTATOR SQUAD (10) - Power Armor, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades
Sergeant: Boltgun, Signum
5 Marines: Boltgun
2 Marines: Heavy Bolter
2 Marines: Missile Launcher

100 THUNDERFIRE CANNON - Artificer Armor, Bolt Pistol, Frag & Krak Grenades, Servo-Harness

(Best available replacement for the Thudd Gun)

End result is that a close conversion for an army that was 1,993 points in Rogue Trader is now 1,495. So does anybody else do anything similar, or am I just loopy? ;)

MrMojoZ
07-05-2009, 16:18
I'm going to go with loopy. Interesting read though for sure. :D

brightblade
07-05-2009, 17:52
I'm going with 'loopy' too.

In a nice way of course. :D

Chaos and Evil
07-05-2009, 17:56
A more interesting comparison would be between 3rd and 5th edition Codeces, as they use the same rules base.

Vampiric16
07-05-2009, 18:21
Me and some mates did this quite recently. In WD277 there was a carnage battle report between Dark Angels, Tyranids, Orks and Word Bearers. We made lists similar to the ones in the battle and played the scenario.

x-esiv-4c
07-05-2009, 18:38
Nice work!

Ubermensch Commander
07-05-2009, 19:34
I am gonna go with "loony" or "bat**** crazy" but it does make for some cool reads. Nice work!

The Emperor
07-05-2009, 19:38
Me and some mates did this quite recently. In WD277 there was a carnage battle report between Dark Angels, Tyranids, Orks and Word Bearers. We made lists similar to the ones in the battle and played the scenario.

See, that's something I've always wanted to do, but never got around to doing. Converting armies from an old battle report and then having them duke it out, recreating the mission with the nearest analogue in the current edition. I think it'd be fun. Assuming the armies scale appropriately, of course, which they don't always do. I remember converting a 1,500 Eldar and Ork force from an old battle report, and the Eldar came out to about 1,000, while the Orks still came out to be around 1,500.

A more interesting comparison would be between 3rd and 5th edition Codeces, as they use the same rules base.

But taking 2nd edition armies and converting them to a system as divergent as 3rd/4th/5th edition is part of the fun! :D But then again, I also like to take characters from both AD&D and D&D 3E and convert them to 4th edition D&D, sooo...