PDA

View Full Version : Most Fun/Competative 750Point Army?

AbyssRaven
07-05-2009, 16:34
So, what in your Opinion is the most fun 750point army, that is still competitive (not cheesily over powered)

If a specific Chapter Please say which in a Reply, same with if pure SoB, GK or what not (damned poll only allows 10 options)

Captain Micha
07-05-2009, 16:43
Imperial Guard.

I love how many bodies they can field....

Boss Kopstud
07-05-2009, 17:18
I'd have to say Orks. Can have a little of a lot of things, or a lot of a few things. Doesn't have to be an OTT list, warboss, 2 mobs of boys, some lootas or kommandos, maybe a kan and a trukk. Lotsa fun!

phedge
07-05-2009, 17:49
Honestly, I'd have to say "All Of The Above".

They're all fun and competitive at 750 points.

Always pick the best army. The best army is the one you enjoy the most.

AbyssRaven
07-05-2009, 23:32
Im mainly asking because i have ever only done marines so i don't know :p
Its why im trying to find a fun army for small scale games (want to build a small force for local play since its capped at 750 points on games nights)

Lord Wasa
07-05-2009, 23:47
I chose guard, but any of the hord armies will do for me when it comes to fun. you can field so many more things, i mean for an SM 750 points is lika an HQ, two tactical squads and an assault squad.

But my IG has 15 ratlings, 20 veterans, a command platoon, ~9rough riders and 4 sentinels.
Only drawback is the time it'll take me to convert and paint...

holmcross
07-05-2009, 23:53
Dark Eldar sporting a bunch of dark lances can ruin almost anything in lower-point games.

The_Outsider
07-05-2009, 23:56
Dark Eldar sporting a bunch of dark lances can ruin almost anything in lower-point games.

The only thing DE cannot touch at low point games are eldar - specifically scatter laser death.

Though that itself has problems fielding anti tank, so I guess DE do come out the best (if not, pretty close).

MrGiggles
08-05-2009, 00:03
Well, this is the list I brought to my last tourney:

All Grotz Must Die

Da Storee

Big Mek Snotshoota took 'is'elf a humee tu da face. Den he kuddent see da gitz ta shoot dem. Den he got da Dok ta fix 'im up wit da cybork gubbins. An' he did. Den da Mad Dok wanted a Waaagh, but dere wuz no Boyz left fer da Waaagh, so we got da Grotz and da Kans and da Mek made a bigga gun wit some shooty gubbins on it. Now we's got us a right weedy, klanky waaaagh we do! So, now we goes and finds stuff ta krump but guud.

All Grotz Must Die - 750 points

Big Mek Snotshoota

Big Mek - Shokk Attack Gun, Cybork Body, 'Eavy Armour, Grot Oiler - 115 points

Mad Dok Grotsnik - Dok's Tools, Power Klaw, Cybork Body, 'Urty Syringe - 160 points

Urk da Slaver's Wanna be Cyber-Grotz
10 Grots and 1 Runtherd - 40 points

Burk da Slaver's Gretchin Gitz

Durk da Slaver's Grot Boyz

Jurk da Herdz' Bigga Den Snots

Murk's Lurks

Nurk's Lurks

Da Mad Kans
2 Killa-Kans with Rokkit Launchas - 150 points

Da Kans frum a Gallexie Far, Far Away
3 Killa-Kans with Rokkit Launcha, Big Shoota and Grotzooka - 135 points

I had to add things like Grotsnik to the list because I wanted as close to an all Grot army as I could get, but just didn't have enough Grotz even after I borrowed a mob from my friend. I also didn't have time to prepare 'Da Storee' in green crayon on the back of my army lists, but that's part of life.

It was a fun list to play with and I came close to beating a Space Marine and a Demon player, which was entertaining in itself. On the whole though, folks just couldn't believe that I brought Grotz. Through all five rounds, I kept dilligent track of how many Grotz my opponents killed in order to be able to award the 'Sekret Prize' at the end. My opponents actually got really into it to the point where I had one guy cheering for the Grotz on morale checks and Squighound rolls. In the end, the Eldar player (who killed a total of 54 out of 60 Grotz) enjoyed the bottle of green Fruite almost as much as his second place prize.

So, yeah, I brought Grotz and everyone loved playing against my Orks.

AbyssRaven
08-05-2009, 00:20
i mean for an SM 750 points is lika an HQ, two tactical squads and an assault squad.

Yup this is what i am finding. I'm just not having fun with HQ, 2 Troops and 1 Extra unit.

I was looking at maybe Orcs (AoBR box as a base), Eldar (Have the Codex and a Dire Avenger squad and always liked their fluff) or maybe IG but i dont have a good theme in mind for ethe IG yet.

But before i spend the money i want something thats....FUN! but still a challenge.
So i wanted others view's on the armies! :)

Lord Wasa
08-05-2009, 01:01
if I had to choose between Orks and Eldar....
ORKS all the way

Eldar have tons of identical metal miniatures, and I don't know about everyone else, but I hate them identical and metal.

Orks OTOH are AFAIK almost all plastic, and you can include bitz from virtually any other race when kostumizzin' dem.

However, If it was up to me, I'd wait for DE to come out. They have so much potential of being the baddest in the game and I am so excited to see what GW will do with them.

AbyssRaven
08-05-2009, 01:03
I am waiting for DE. Its why for now i just want a small army i can convert and have some fun with while await DE.
Maybe up the force to 1500 for giggles or make a 1k SW army (since they were my 1st love) when they are out until DE.

Only thing stopping me form playing DE now is i abhor the model range =/

Lord Wasa
08-05-2009, 01:22
It is indeed a range capable of blinding you in more than one way, first your eyesight goes when you look at them, and when you don't look at them, their mighty helmets of SHARP and POINT will poke you now useless eyes out.

If you want a small force while waiting for DE/SW, I'd say Eldar, lower modelcount, relatively easy painting, and access to the wraithlord, the most entertaining model of them all when it comes to converting and painting (did one for my pal for his birthday).
Not to mention the fact that you already had some dire avengers and the codex.

They'll give you more fun than marines, but less work than guard

AbyssRaven
08-05-2009, 01:30
I may have a look at the Ork Codex as well.

Like i said, always been a marine, something less regimented may be a fun change. May get the small box of 4 boyz and give them a paint and see.

Though i guess playing eldar will get me used to skimmer tactics for if i play DE

AbyssRaven
08-05-2009, 10:46
Bump

More opinions!

laudarkul
08-05-2009, 11:10
IG...
Why? You can have a LOT of models with great variety...All troops will be like 90-100 models and the rest to 750 you can choose different weapons. I think that also a mech force is available also all an elite force.

Enderel
08-05-2009, 11:23
Eldar for me, 1 x 3 and 1 x 2 scatter laser war walkers, two x 3 jet bikes squads, guide seer with singing spear, 5 fd, wave serpent, spirit stones and shuriken cannon. 30pts left as well.

Extremely nasty list to face. Mobile with options - outflank the walkers, shoot and scoot with the jet bikes. Seer offers good backup to either the walkers or the dragons. Just try not to get it into cc...

Corpse
08-05-2009, 12:39
Dark Eldar.

Why?

Because they take what they normally take in a raider list, and it takes some skill+luck to win, and it has the ability to be tactically ruthless if played right.

burning crome
08-05-2009, 20:32
with the possible exception of necrons and deamons all the 40k races can put out a good and fun 750pt army.

Killswitch<>
08-05-2009, 21:00
eldar, war walkers are the bane of any army in low pt games, and wraithlords :D!

SharpSilver
08-05-2009, 21:35
I would say Imperial Guard would be most 'fun', plus you can get tons of units on the table for low costs.

Lord Cook
09-05-2009, 00:36
Guard every time. Lots of Av12 vehicles on the cheap is a tough nut to crack in low points games.

50 - Company Commander
20 - 4 Veterans w/ 3xGrenade launchers, Vox
55 - Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy flamer

120 - 10 Veterans w/ 3xPlasma guns, Vox
55 - Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy bolter

120 - 10 Veterans w/ 3xPlasma guns, Vox
55 - Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy bolter

100 - 10 Veterans w/ 3xMeltaguns
55 - Chimera w/ Multilaser, Heavy flamer

60 - Armoured Sentinel w/ Autocannon

60 - Armoured Sentinel w/ Autocannon
____

Enderel
14-05-2009, 11:05
That's a nasty list Lord C and one I hope not to see at the weekend ;-)

Deetwo
14-05-2009, 11:32
Any points that allows me to field atleast 2 soulgrinders and 1-2 units of flamers sounds like fun to me :D

But, probly overall eldar, orks or ig.. they can get a fairly large and varied army even for low points. Maybe Tau as well.

Actually, my answer is "Anything that isn't Necrons".

Chaos Undecided
14-05-2009, 11:36
I'd have to agree with the earlier poster its possible to make a fun/competitive list at that point value with any army bar Necrons and maybe daemons to a lesser extent (can imagine deployment rules easily screwing them at this level)

Deetwo
14-05-2009, 11:50
maybe daemons to a lesser extent (can imagine deployment rules easily screwing them at this level)

Shooty daemons do fine in any size.
We get screwed over by DS in any case :)

Had a 750 point game just now and used a list like this:

Herald of TZ
2x3 Flamers
2x5 Horrors (should've taken plaguebearers though)
2 Soulgrinders w/ phlegm

And did very well, even after destroying one of my scoring units on deep strike :)

Da_Killa
14-05-2009, 12:43
tau
2 squads of fire warriors and a battlesuit squad and a hammerhead