PDA

View Full Version : What's the most fun army to play with?

Witchblade
07-05-2009, 16:14
Vote and elaborate!

The following armies were not included due to poll restrictions:
- Beasts
- Bretonnia
- Ogres
- Empire
- Tomb kings

danny-d-b
07-05-2009, 16:18
empire (with out the stanks- twin rocket battery lead to a lot of fun, if you don't mind losing your own ranked infantry they lead to mass fun)

other wise- mass goblins!
shame the doom diver is no way as fun as it use to be!

bork da basher
07-05-2009, 16:19
most armies can be fun to play with but overall i find skaven and orcs and goblins to be the most fun simply because their wacky and self destructive nature gives their games comedy value.

on a competetive level right now im really enjoying all cavalry/4x sorcerer on discs chaos warriors because it hits like a tonne of bricks and can really be destructive in the magic phase if a little unpredictable.

BenTheRat
07-05-2009, 16:22
I love my Warriors of chaos all mounted list. It is so much fun when you can move your guys so far, re-deploy at a moments notice and win games in the movement phase.

Malorian
07-05-2009, 16:32
I'm having a blast with my orcs.

Just the combination of how big and diverse the army is, you never know what's going to happen, and proving the underdog can win :D

Condottiere
07-05-2009, 16:39
I've always believed it was Dogs of War.

Nuada
07-05-2009, 16:40
Love using Orcs and Goblins, they're so diverse. You can have a fairly powerfull missile round (6 spear chukkas, 2 rock lobbers and 3 doom divers), magic heavy, nothing but night goblins and 20-odd fanatics, a chariot force... there's an endless combination of lists.

I've also got a twiggy wood elf army with no missile fire, but i've only used them 4 times. I actually feel a bit guilty using them :D

chivalrous
07-05-2009, 16:42
See, I would have voted Empire, simply because the list is capable of every type of build going, horde infantry, gun-line, all mounted, combined arms to name a few, and can be successful with all of them.

In second place, and I would have said this even before the new book, I'd place Dark Elves, who can to a lesser extent be successful with a fair range of army builds. A lesser extent as there's less redundancy availabe to them.

Desert Rain
07-05-2009, 17:10
Of the armies that I have played I must say that I enjoy the High Elves the most, at the moment so it might very well change in the future.

BrazenSix
07-05-2009, 17:18
The unpredictability of Greenskins makes them fun to play and especially to watch.

Lordsaradain
07-05-2009, 17:34
Orcs and Goblins is the obvious answer.

Dungeon_Lawyer
07-05-2009, 17:36
Its not even close on the Poll

O&g's the unpredictability and diversity of them always makes for fun games. And SQUIGS!!!

bob_the_small
07-05-2009, 18:11
Well, I voted skaven due to the fact that ANYTHING can go wrong or rightt... but O&G are fun aswell

SimonL
07-05-2009, 18:31
2nded Skaven.

You must have a good sense of humour though, as your brilliant plan unravels due to various things exploding, misfiring etc. I always take max amount of potentially random stuff (much to my team mate's dismay lol)

badgeraddict
07-05-2009, 18:53
I vote Bretonnia soley because of the peasant element.

Cats Laughing
07-05-2009, 18:53
The only two armies random enough to be truly fun are Skaven and Greenskins. I voted for greenskins because too much to the self-inflicted skaven casualties are purposefully self-inflicted(shooting into combat), whereas the greenskin self-inflicted casualties are almost always randomly inflicted.

moose
07-05-2009, 18:59
The random comedy armies are obviously skaven and orcs.

However this doesn't always make them the most fun or enjoyable to play. It really depends how you play your army or write your list if you will.

Moose.

Malarowski
07-05-2009, 19:03
I would go with TK or Empire just because of the diversity of lists you can use.

Voodoo Boyz
07-05-2009, 19:03
O&G's are as far from the most fun thing to play as could be.

I'm sorry, but having an army that basically tears itself apart and the flip side "benefit" to that being almost as bad in certain situations is infuriating to have as a player. That would be the opposite of fun.

Gork or Possibly Mork
07-05-2009, 19:20
Vote and elaborate!

The following armies were not included due to poll restrictions:
- Beasts
- Bretonnia
- Ogres
- Empire
- Tomb kings

No Ogres in the poll. *Shakes Fist*:) Although I love my greenskins and Lizardmen I have the most fun with my Ogres. Im not really sure why. I guess it's because I lose often with them ( which makes victories sweeter ) but I really like the fast MSU play style. It's usually always a close back and forth game with dramatic turns. Although gunlines, hordes and big bad flyers are the bane of my ogres.

bob_the_small
07-05-2009, 19:28
who on earth voted for daemons? thats the way to have fun, if all you like to do is win win win, but it will not gain you friends..

Shiodome
07-05-2009, 19:39
as the wise man said earlier:

SQUIGS

edit: in fact i think i've finally decided on a sig for this forum \O/

Freakiq
07-05-2009, 20:57
Orcs for the humor and Wood Elves for the movement phase dickery and unconventional playstyle.

sneb
07-05-2009, 21:43
I may be biased but I have the most amounts of fun with my vampires, raising zombies is just so cool.

Erie Ed
07-05-2009, 22:20
def has to be skaven...oh whats that my WLC just misfired and sent a S10 hit through half of my army....True story that really happened to me.

Witchblade
07-05-2009, 22:47
I'm surprised dark elves have only received 3 votes so far. They're competitive and you can create almost any kind of army with the list: SAD, horde(ish), monster list, magic heavy, fast attack, castle army, mobile force, etc.

It's good to see that daemons and high elves receive few votes, with their ridiculous army wide special rules.

W0lf
08-05-2009, 00:49
To play with its WE no question for me.

SimonL
08-05-2009, 01:14
def has to be skaven...oh whats that my WLC just misfired and sent a S10 hit through half of my army....True story that really happened to me.

I've had similar happen many times lol

-WLC cleave my team mates army
-18 Ratling gun shots into my team mates nearby unit
-Flaming Warpfire thrower running into my Stormvermin and panicking them and and 3 other units 1st turn
-Warlord killing himself with the Fellblade during a challenge
-Rolling a "All cavalry take panic test" on the Screaming Bell and forcing my team mates units off the table

Sigh

jioop
08-05-2009, 01:56
I voted for the minority! I'm a nice guy

YTY
08-05-2009, 10:57
Why do people vote for orcs?

I couldn't consider animosity and it ruining your games as 'fun'.

hawo0313
08-05-2009, 11:02
I vote skaven because of how random yet awesome thier stuff is also empire who can be pretty cool and fun to play as well that team has everything

Hospitaler
08-05-2009, 11:54
Warriors of Chaos; so different to my usual armies, plus they're my best looking army!

Dag
08-05-2009, 17:54
most "fun" army is a bad question. personally i love my greenies, but everyone is gona argue cuz everyone has a diff POV. greenies animosity isnt fun when your learning the game, once u know how to use it a bit more (and yes there is a way of using it well) it becomes fun, and funny when 5savage biguns pop when u declare the waaagh.

but that said i love beasts, the randomness of 15 guys poppin up all around is great. herds appearing by artillery is funny.

Cats Laughing
08-05-2009, 18:24
Why do people vote for orcs?

I couldn't consider animosity and it ruining your games as 'fun'.

Fun is an opinion so there is no correct answer that fits all people but there should be an answer that fit you.

Some of us find random chaos (not "Chaos") on the battlefield fun, others find totally pwning their opponent to be fun. I think everyone finds their primary army to be fun (otherwise, why play?).

I voted for orcs (more specifically goblins) because I find stories about failing completely due to one unlucky roll and/or overcoming that unlucky roll to be fun. I also really like the O/G imagery.

Tae
08-05-2009, 19:36
Depends how you define 'fun'.

If 'fun' to you is winning, no matter the cost, then Daemons are the obvious choice.

If 'fun' is more like having a game where both parties will enjoy themselves and be filled with loads of random and chaotic events which are often hilarious in the amount of damage you'll do to yourself as well as your oppoonent, then O&G are the obvious choice.

Lijacote
08-05-2009, 19:44
Voted daemons. I like daemons.

My opinion is awesome.

Unuhexium
08-05-2009, 19:57
I've only played WoC and they're pretty cool for their massive combatskills. They're pretty much top of the line at what they do with very few rivals.

But that's not really the topic, i love armies that are a bit random and highly destructive (in all directions) such as Skaven. I mean, what's not to like about an army that might blow up in your face while still tearing the enemy to shreds.

zak
08-05-2009, 21:45
For me it's Orcs and Gobbo's. Even with animosity a very enjoyable army with a random, if sometimes annoying, feel.

Stuffburger
08-05-2009, 21:51
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

MarcoPollo
08-05-2009, 22:51
I voted WoC. It has a good set of tactics. Nice magic phase. Strong movement phase. Good armor. All sorts of ways to win. All sorts of combinations to keep the mind going. And the "evil" aspect of them brings out the best in opponents.

Draconian77
08-05-2009, 23:02
Tomb Kings...where is the love?

Skaven surely, I have never regretted a game with or against them.

Coragus
09-05-2009, 00:24
The question was what is the funnest army to play with, not against. If you think failing Leadership saves and watching your tactics fall apart because of failing animosity checks is "fun", then O&G is for you. Otherwise, go with Dwarfs!

Shiodome
09-05-2009, 01:08
leadership and animosity isn't as bad as people think for O&G's. for a start half the army isn't panicked by the other half, and you can keep a large % of the the 'panicky' within a ld9 bubble... better than many armies in some ways. animosity is balanced by redundancy... sure a unit might go off on a wander, or stop for a snack, but you can afford backup/spare units to ensure what you need doing gets done. so on those counts the O&G doesn't ruin the fun, or the list doesn't much negatively affect 'fun'. but, adding narrative to whatever the hell your guys decide to do DOES add to the fun...

when a unit doesn't do what you want it to, some players bemoan thier luck, mutter about game balance, or whatever.... other players see the '1' rolled for animosity as 'that nutter shaman snotrot has gone and got disctracted by summat shiny again... lets hope the lads get his attention back on the business at hand soon >_<'. if a player has no interest in adding narrative to the events that unfold then then tbh i can't see why they don't just go play a computer game instead and have everything spoon fed to them. i've had a huge number of laughs from my misfortunes in WHFB, where one unit will stubbornly refuse to move all game, and the dice roll for their animosity each turn becomes a mini event for me, the opponent and any spectators; and if/when they finally pass a cheer goes up around the table, as everyone decides the units has finally finished their picnic or whatever.

basically you're either the kind of player that can laugh at misfortune or you're not, if you're not then fair enough you're not likely to ever be an O&G player. but if you can, you can't help but love greenskins, and once you've gone green, you're green for life. ;)

edit: i love the fact that the votes so far rank the armies in exactly the same order as my order of preference! :D (except for HE who i'd have about 6th)

BattleofLund
09-05-2009, 01:23
Greenskins are good fun, even if I seldom include Fanatics or Squigs.

I voted Dark Elves though. Really, having an army that does what it's told (except the odd Stupidity failure) AND is competent at everything it does...!

Man it's sweet!

Leogun_91
09-05-2009, 06:19
I voted Dwarfs but thatīs beacouse I love the models and background so much that I get a good cinematic feel when playing them. Ofcourse itīs an uphill struggle in way to small boots to play them the way I do.

tarrasque
09-05-2009, 13:17
i would go for tk
first of you need to be good in the game to win whit them so if your plans works it feel great. second it is a very good looks (save for the scelly weapons) and last it is a very balanced army in 6th edition

Stuffburger
09-05-2009, 20:19
I love a little narration when something goes horridly wrong with my greenies.

One time when half my army rolled 1's on a waaagh! I decided that the orc general tried to yell "WE IZ DA ORCS!!!!" but forgot which side he was on and instead yelled "WE IZ DA ELFS!!!!!!"

The general was not a popular one that day...

Condottiere
10-05-2009, 03:40
For FUBAR, I find O&G illustrative, but annoying when they are closer than they are supposed to be.