PDA

View Full Version : Blood Angels Or Red Marines?

hendybadger
07-05-2009, 19:51
I have always been a fan of the Blood Angels.
And now i want to create a force 13 years after the last time i had one.
But how do I do it?

Option 1) Blood Angels army from the PDF Codex

Option 2) Space Marines painted red from the latest SM Codex

What do you think?

Count de Monet
07-05-2009, 20:04
Proxy a few games with each list, compare BA fluff, etc. with whatever you want to use/make up for the Red Marines, see which you like better.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
07-05-2009, 20:07
Go Blood Angels. You don't need to buy 10 man units to access upgrades for tactical squads, assault squads are troops allowing you to spend all your fast attack slots on multimelta attack bikes/speeders for mobile AT, the Death Company go on a merry rampage like they do. The PDF codex is missing some toys but can still give regular marines a thrashing.

Charistoph
07-05-2009, 20:08
Why do you want Blood Angels?

If you like Assault Marines as Troops, turbo-charged Rhinos, Furioso Dreadnoughts, Baal Predators, etc, then it's not even a consideration as to which one you would use.

Personally, only if you absolutely plan on using none of the above, would going basic SM be worth it. But if you do, why would you be playing Blood Angels in the first place?

hendybadger
07-05-2009, 20:14
I think i might have to go for the Blood Angels PDF then.

Death Company and Furioso Dreads are a must have.

Are the spec characters worth using?
I only ask because the models are great.

SimonL
07-05-2009, 20:17
Depends how much you like the BA exclusive units and characters. Some of the units are out, like the Baal Pred. and Furioso Dread. Others you can use as "codex" units, like using Death Company models as Vanguard vets. Use the rules for Tigurius and the Mephiston model. You could even remove the sponsons from the Baal Pred and use it as a Razorback.

Try using both and see which one you like, at leats you won't have to buy a new army lol.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
07-05-2009, 20:21
Easier said than done really. Vanguard are an overpriced trash unit for regular marines, whereas the DC are a cornerstone of BA strategy for instance. Nobody does the aggressive, balanced, mechanized assault like Blood Angels. Marines aren't necessarily inferior at it, they just go about it differently and a codex SM army can't just ape BA tactics.

Jackmojo
07-05-2009, 20:55
Buy lots of toys, use either army list depending on what you want to play that day :)

That's what I do.

Jack

Ivellis
07-05-2009, 21:14
Are the spec characters worth using?
I only ask because the models are great.

BA has really good special characters. I don't think any of them are actually bad.
(Isn't Lemartes like the best Chaplain now?)

RichBlake
07-05-2009, 21:28
As an ex-Blood Angels player I have to say: Be a REAL Man! Use the PDF!

Seriously though, just because the Blood Angels "Codex", and I use the term "Codex" loosley, is a little bit on the poor side you shouldn't give up on your army's actual codex.

Sttucker13
07-05-2009, 21:29
Buy lots of toys, use either army list depending on what you want to play that day :)

That's what I do.

Jack

Same here. I've got a Blood Angels successor chapter with non BA-Codex equipment (Thunderfire cannons). I normally field BA but if I feel like taking a Thunderfire Cannon for the heck of it, I just use the SM codex. Of course, it helps that I have 6000 points, unit options aren't really a limiting factor.

Sttucker13
07-05-2009, 21:30
BA has really good special characters. I don't think any of them are actually bad.
(Isn't Lemartes like the best Chaplain now?)

Special characters are the only thing worth taking. Standard HQ choices are pretty fail. Librarians that arent Mephiston are 100% pointless. Of course if you're fielding BA, one of your HQ choices is going to be a chaplain anyways.

hendybadger
07-05-2009, 23:04
Looks like its going to be real Blood Angels from the PDF then.

101st Vostroyan
07-05-2009, 23:34
Blood angels for sure. Why would you not want assault marines as troops. Death company are awesome. One 5 man squad of death company once tore through alomost 800 pts of Eldar in a game I was playing... The death company won the day for me. Another time they took the brunt of a Necron army on. They killed a unit of scarabs, a wraith, a tomb spyder, and a large unit of necron warriors until the game ended...

BLOOD ANGELS==AWESOME:D

hendybadger
07-05-2009, 23:37
Full unit of Death Company for me then!

Any other advice for a blood angels beginner?
Must haves?
Things to avoid?
ect

Warforger
08-05-2009, 01:14
Must Haves
-Attack Bikes
-Rhino Mounted Tacticals
-Either Dante, Mephiston, Corbulo or Lemartes or any combination's.
-NEVER take a Jump Chappy, for 5 more points you get Lemartes
-I'd avoid full DC squads since there very expensive unless there all coming free through the units you've bought, but then you've probably taken too many units....
-Baal Preds are good, but always take Heavy Bolters and not Heavy Flamers, since its harder to shoot them.

EVIL INC
08-05-2009, 01:29
I would say make a chapter based on the blood angels that has a variety of aspects. Some of the more "elite" sections could follow the blood angels rules while the other lowlier sections who have not yet been fully inducted into the higher ranks or been given the full knowledge of thier history (or however you want to divide them in the fluff) would use the basic marines codex.
Problem solved and you get the variety of using both lists.

SimonL
08-05-2009, 01:30
Problem solved and you get the variety of using both lists

But hopefully not at the same time ;)

hawo0313
08-05-2009, 01:39
personally I'd use the BA mini dex as BA are awesome and just about everyone who plays BA uses the DC the baal predator and at least 1 sometimes 2 special characters

EVIL INC
08-05-2009, 01:50
But hopefully not at the same time ;)
LOL, but of course. :p
I meant the variety of being able to have your models (or at least the majority of them) do double duty for 2 armies.

SimonL
08-05-2009, 02:03
LOL, but of course.
I meant the variety of being able to have your models (or at least the majority of them) do double duty for 2 armies.

Indeed, I can use about 75% of my Codex Marines as Black Templars.

hendybadger
08-05-2009, 08:08
Is there a big difference between the BA Codex and the SM Codex then?

CEO Kasen
08-05-2009, 08:17
Seriously though, just because the Blood Angels "Codex", and I use the term "Codex" loosley, is a little bit on the poor side you shouldn't give up on your army's actual codex.

It's been a long time since I've seen Blood Angels hit the table. Being on the other side of the table from a BA player at one of my regular game groups back in the 3rd-ed day when they were sick, could charge something like 26" disembarking from one of their Rhinos, and could ignore basically everything you could do to their Death company short of a Vindicator shell, all that was what taught me how to play in the first place, hard and fast.

I remember seething with a vengeance barely short of their own Black Rage until I finally learned to win against them, only to watch said player drop off the face of the earth when they changed the transport rules.

Have they really fallen so far?

Jack5h1t
08-05-2009, 11:33
The best thing about playing Blood Angels is the look of "Oh God no!" on your opponents face when you take out your unit if Jump-packed Death Company (and Chappy).

Joewrightgm
08-05-2009, 12:59
Have they really fallen so far?

Not necessarily. That particular list back in the day was a power list, and power gamers will always gravitate to the 'most powerful' list they can find.

The Blood Angels codex was brought down quite a few pegs over the last 2 editions, and the list is a good strong list with a lot of variety.

Count de Monet
08-05-2009, 13:38
Is there a big difference between the BA Codex and the SM Codex then?

There are a number of differences, but both are quite useable.

aberrant_unc
08-05-2009, 13:39
It is still a pretty strong list, the assault marines as troops is a GREAT rule in 5th edition.

Mobile troops to play objective games is really excellent...

Mercer
08-05-2009, 14:34
I have always been a fan of the Blood Angels.
And now i want to create a force 13 years after the last time i had one.
But how do I do it?

Option 1) Blood Angels army from the PDF Codex

Option 2) Space Marines painted red from the latest SM Codex

What do you think?

I was in the same boat as you a three weeks ago. But weighing it up I found the new marine codex to be better. Firstly was storm shields as i have a termiantor assault squad and captain with a storm shield. Then the troops with all the weapons I wanted came to a lot more, about 280 points compared to 240.

Benefit was about the death company. They are free and don't take a elite slot, plus get rending and feel no pain. Also furioso dreadnoughts are good.

Others things like the rhinos i wasn't keen on nor the baal predator as you need to get close to use those flamers.

In the end I went for normal codex with my captain using vulkan hestaan rules as my weapons are meltas :)

ChrisMurray
08-05-2009, 14:54
I think Mercer has hit the nail on the head. You need to make a list of the things that you "must have" in your army and then see hwich codex has them. If you like things from both codex's (who doesn't?) you need to compramise on which things are most important.

Brother Gabriel
08-05-2009, 15:21
Blood Angels are really nice to play. And what Warforger says ;).

victorpofa
09-05-2009, 19:29
personally I'd use the BA mini dex as BA are awesome and just about everyone who plays BA uses the DC the baal predator and at least 1 sometimes 2 special characters

My BA list does not have any special characters. I own them all, but they are not currently in use. I have not had a chance to blood the list, but I use the BA PDF and the HQ is a jump Chaplain for the Death Company, and in larger games add a Terminator Captain to go with the Terminators in their Land Raider.

I don't know how effective it will be, but that's what I painted up. Lemartes' aging model is ugly while the Jump Chaplain is just awesome. He was the centerpiece around which I built my Blood Angels.

To the OP: definitely look at how you want to play the army, and which units appeal to you before deciding which codex to use. If you have the cash take the advice already given by others and build to take advantage of either depending on your mood.

For example, vanguard veterans can make good counts as Death Company when using the Space Marine codex as long as you paint them appropriately, and those fancy weapons would just count as CC weapons using the BA list.

Good luck.

PhantomRonin
09-05-2009, 20:38
There's also the Blood Ravens that have red armor. They look pretty badass imo.

hendybadger
09-05-2009, 20:42
I do like the look of those. but do they have a death company?

victorpofa
10-05-2009, 04:02
I do like the look of those. but do they have a death company?

Nope. Only Blood Angels and their Successor Chapters do. Blood Ravens are from unknown stock.

Here (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Blood_Ravens) is the Lexicanum link.

hendybadger
10-05-2009, 10:22
Ive just received the SM collectors guide. Ithink im going to use the BA rules and do an Angels Encarmine force

hendybadger
10-05-2009, 23:54
I seem to be having a printer problem.
Could someone print out the BA codex in colour and send it to me?
ill sort out via paypal

please?