PDA

View Full Version : 1300 bucks of empire, good buy?

Sir Phobos
07-05-2009, 23:06
One of my friends is getting into fantasy, he's is one of those go big or go home people, so he wants an army to face my large Orc and goblins army. He's read the army book and went online to see what kinda models he would get. This is what he came up with:

4 battalion boxes
2 wizard boxes
2 warrior priests
3 engineers
2 generals/ standard bearers

22 state troop boxes
6 hand gunner boxes
3 free company boxes
4 archer boxes
Knights of the white wolf

2 cannon/ mortars
5 hellblaster/ rocket thingys
4 flagellant boxes
4 great sword boxes
2 steam tanks

As I don't play empire I was just wondering if anyone has some ideas or suggestions/ substitutions of what he should buy. Oh someones giving him 25% off so he might get a few more things. Also how many pts do you think this would be

Ps I'm sorry if there a lot of grammer issues I'm posting this with my iPhone

Erie Ed
07-05-2009, 23:16
holy crap do you guys plan on playing 6000+ pt games because that many models is unnecessary

bob_the_small
07-05-2009, 23:17
holy crap do you guys plan on playing 6000+ pt games because that many models is unnecessary

probably more like 10000+ point games....

The Red Scourge
07-05-2009, 23:24
Advise him to get a lot of paint too.. And decide on his colour scheme beforehand, so he doesn't just go for the whole pallette ;)

Frep
07-05-2009, 23:34
Even by my standards of craziness this is an insane amount of models to buy in one go. A couple battallion boxes and 3-4 State troops boxes is a way more reasonable plan for starting out. If he is really convinced to "go big or go home" try ebay, I picked up around $1000-1200 worth of empire a few months back for $300 mostly assembled with only a couple spots of paint (easily striped too).

CaliforniaGamer
07-05-2009, 23:40
thats a retarded amount of stuff to get at one time. Essentially setting up the situation where you can guarantee they will never be painted unless he is A.) a trust funder with OODLES of free time B.) unemployed, in which case he shouldnt spend so much before playing alot because he may need food in the future

Anyone with a Joe Six Pack 40hr/week job or full time college would be hard pressed to get all that done up in any reasonable amount of time.

why not troll ebay for a few weeks and grab all this stuff out of the bargain bin or even better yet find a completely assembled force of empire that is 2000ish points and make sure it fits his style of play...put a budget of a couple hundred bucks initially.

venus_redscar
08-05-2009, 00:30
The thing that strikes me most....

Three Engineers? Most Empire players don't see the point in one....

Pavic
08-05-2009, 00:32
Now this is the way to buy warhammer armies :D

In regards to what he is purchasing, is he waiting for the new Steam Tank and Greatswords before purchasing them? If he is great, if not, he should definitely at least hold off for the new plastic steam tank, which will essentially but the same price but much easier to assemble. If he is picking up the current metal Greatswords, I recommend that he bump his total to 8 boxes so that he has 2 full units of 20.

He should also consider picking up the General on Griffin, just to have the option of a cool flier to square off against your wyvern.

Lastly, I am a big fan of flagellants, and definitely think he should pick up at least 6 boxes, if not 9. Just remind him that if one takes a warrior priest, one unit of flagellants counts as core.

Einholt
08-05-2009, 00:32
Yea this is highly unnecessary even by standards of paying for and paying with little plastic things.

Dexter099
08-05-2009, 00:43
Way too much. Tell him to buy in little bits; it's more fun, plus he will want to know exactly what he needs for his army as it grows.

Ironstone Doomhammer
08-05-2009, 00:46
Really though, 1300 all in one go? Why, what if he doesn't like how empire plays, or wants to start another army instead, why not just get a battalion box, a few special and rare units and play a game at like 2000 or 2250. Then if he wants another army as well, he'll have the money.

In all honesty, he might as well just buy a paint set as well so he'll have more fun with it, unless he's not the painting type.

CptnKaizer
08-05-2009, 00:46
Thats 360 freaking ordinary state troops.... And Im having trouble getting motivated for assembling my freaking 80!

BrazenSix
08-05-2009, 03:33
Wow, that is a lot of troops all in one go. I'm of the mind as well that if she seems all thes models in front of him then he's going to get discouraged in terms of painting them. That's a lot of work. I'd build it up as fast as he can paint them if he truly wants to go that big.

Papa JJ
08-05-2009, 04:11
How about Luthor Huss... even if he doesn't want to use named characters the miniature makes a nice mounted warrior priest. If he's gonna have two priests, why not three?

Dark14
08-05-2009, 05:10
its a good deal if your using them and as a fan of big battles if you have the opponant do it. 7000pts and above are awsome fun.

Lemonbrick
08-05-2009, 07:59
If you are going to go large could I suggest a spray gun?

and choosing a colour scheme that lends itself to using it ? - e.g. all blue uniforms.....
this will allow a basic paint job

also I think 1300 is a bit to much, but if your mate can handle it good for him!
(Im still slogging though my dwarfs 2 at a time form christmas , and my tyranids and polishing of my O&G and and and the list goes on ;) )

Leogun_91
08-05-2009, 08:23
That´s really cool, that army will be very, very cool,the 22 statetroop boxes strikes me as the coolest buy. Also 5 boxes greatswords would be better as it gives 2 25units rather than 2 20units giving you those extra models to keep you´r ranks intact when reaching the enemy. Also the Griffon banner is a great model and has great rules.

Griefbringer
08-05-2009, 09:13
As far as I could count, that would measure to around 700 models - that is a huge amount to assemble (especially if you do it carefully) never mind the painting time.

Also, you would need a massive table just to be able to deploy them all.

Kevlar
08-05-2009, 10:05
Eh, if he wants to spend that kind of money he is better off buying them already painted off ebay. I couldn't imagine having to paint $1300 of any army, let along one with the intricate color scheme of the Imperials.

Duke Georgal
08-05-2009, 11:23
Well, he is light on cannons and mortars. Those are your best war machines. Mortars are very good against Orcs & Goblins.

Your cannon to helblaster ratio should be 2:1, not the other way around.

Since money is not an issue, I would suggest even more great swords. At 10,000 points there will be plenty of slots for them. 25 man units is the way to go. Get State Troops as attachments and lots of blocks of spearmen.

badgeraddict
08-05-2009, 11:53
Can you imagine if after buying all that, he deciedes he doesn't like Empire?

Godgolden
08-05-2009, 12:55
Tell him to send a e-mail with that shoppinglist to this site https://www.wargamesempire.com/shop/catalog/browse?sessid=3gaD0WbmTKknudvZzzeG0nMZgreM5r1tWnbA DDter2UmQFu1sgwLeoQjJ67rTSc4&shop_param=

they do combo deals and have average of 30% off so he could get50-30% off that price as its so.. insanely huge.

my view on this however is he will never need all that, ever, going big for me is 4 battalions lol.

just remind him he needs to paint and build all that shizz.

Griefbringer
08-05-2009, 14:34
As an additional comment, the contents of the Empire battalion are about to change, so your friend might want to think whether he wants the new battalion, old battalion, or mixture of both of them.

swarmofseals
08-05-2009, 14:43
Your friend is completely nuts. I pretty much agree with the caveats everyone else has already mentioned:

How is he going to find the time to assemble all of that let alone paint it?
What if he doesn't like empire?
What if he does like empire but finds that after playing a few games he likes units in different distributions than he thought he would?

I don't play empire, but man the ratios seem really messed up... seems like way too few cannons/mortars, way too few missile troops, way too many state troops etc. etc.

If your friend wants to go big or go home, have him buy a 2-4k force on ebay and round it out with a few purchases. That way he can have a large force that he can then expand as he sees fit once he has the experience to know what he is doing.

bert n ernie
08-05-2009, 15:00
I'm not going to go on about what I think of spending that much money without having played the army a bit, as others have put it much better than I could.

However if he does want to spend that ammount he is going to find
a) that he'll never paint it
b) that if he doesn't like it, he'll hardly get half his money back.

Why not, instead look on e-bay or get in touch with a pro painter to complete the army. Perhaps practice the game a little, come up with a good competitive list and leave room for some swaps(extra warrior priests, cannons mortars, centerpiece character etc) and get a pro to paint it all.
Yes, he'll have half or less of the force, but it will be assembled, painted and easily re-sellable.

You can also give him room for manouver if you take a few extra units that will not go in the list here and there.
Good luck to him.
He is, however, completely bat poop crazy.

Peregijn
08-05-2009, 15:15
ore maby he just won the lotto or something like that... (big mony price, enof to never ever have to worry about mony agan... hmmm dreams on)

Stuffburger
08-05-2009, 15:43
Wow, that's more models than most of use will ever own, let alone buy all in one swoop.

Unless this guy is six-figure income loaded or otherwise trusted-funded or lotteried I'd push him to maybe 4000 points tops- plenty "big" by anyone's standards and will give enourmous variety in a 2k list. I personally don't see the draw of giant 3k+ games and would much rather play a small campaign or something.

CaliforniaGamer
08-05-2009, 16:43
If your buddy just wants to drop bank and have an army totally ready to go, there definitely is the option of getting a customized studio army(you pick theme and colors) at a reasonable price now from Ebay UK, Arcane Scenery and Models in Nottingham. He could then grab extra boxes of unpainted stuff and slowly learn to clean, assemble and paint it at his leisure without slowing down your gaming.

Sir Phobos
08-05-2009, 19:44
He just got a bonus, so hes not a trust funder or anything. Also we live in the US, but I'll tell him about the store to see if how much shipping would be to the US.

Duke Georgal
08-05-2009, 21:25
Spending this kind of money on a hobby is really no big deal.

I work with people that will drop $2,000.00 on a hunting rifle in the blink of an eye. How much is a bass boat? Time share at a ski lodge anyone?

$1,200.00 is not out of line for a high performance RC car. That is just a couple of model train locomotives if you want the good stuff.

I'm not telling anyone here what I spend for fear of judgement.

DarkTerror
08-05-2009, 21:43
Spending this kind of money on a hobby is really no big deal.

I work with people that will drop $2,000.00 on a hunting rifle in the blink of an eye. How much is a bass boat? Time share at a ski lodge anyone?

$1,200.00 is not out of line for a high performance RC car. That is just a couple of model train locomotives if you want the good stuff.

I'm not telling anyone here what I spend for fear of judgement.

What I think most people are getting at is, in general, people who spend $1300 are not more likely to be happier playing the game than someone who spent $400.

To relate it to the rifle: If there were an equivalent rifle for $500 of the same quality, but at any time you could trade in your existing rifle for 100% value to upgrade to the higher model (+$1500 cash of course), would you still recommend the $2000 gun? Now the situations are more similar.

Why buy the $2000 gun? You can always have it later if you feel like it.

CaliforniaGamer
08-05-2009, 21:50
He just got a bonus, so hes not a trust funder or anything. Also we live in the US, but I'll tell him about the store to see if how much shipping would be to the US.

Here is the link for the prepainted army:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Empire-TOURNAMENT-ARMY-2500-POINTS-pro-painted_W0QQitemZ350177366735QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item350177366735&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Just tell em what you want, swap out some of the special choices to get 2 cannons and get 1 rare as a new plastic Steam Tank and see if they will throw in a War Altar and you are good to go. I would think long and hard about some good lists before I shopped this though and new models are coming out right around the corner.

Shipping is like 25 pounds/45ish dollars to the US, not bad.

vampires are cool!
08-05-2009, 21:55
Good god, imagine going into store and trying to run all that through the till - he'd fill the store quota for the week!

DarkTerror
08-05-2009, 22:03
Good god, imagine going into store and trying to run all that through the till - he'd fill the store quota for the week!

No store that I know of could fill that order.

I sometimes can't find all of the products I want for $100

Lord Asuryan
08-05-2009, 22:08
yikes! Is thre any realy point to having that much stuff in one army? truthfully, fantasy really doesn't lend itself to huge games, see 40k or WOTR. if he's dead set on loads of stuff, he should at least spread it around several armies, so he doesn't get completely bored of painting. it can still face off against masses of O&G but is more interesting, gives a broader feel for the game. that's a LOT of plastic.

zak
08-05-2009, 22:21
There is no problem with large games of fantasy. I have played 6-8000 point games and they are great as the choices you usually need to make are negated and you end up just taking it all! I don't see an issue with it if that is what he wants to do. I would look at going to an on-line store who offer discount. Most will usually be between 15-25% so that could mean a saving of over $300.

swarmofseals
08-05-2009, 22:22
Personally it's not so much that I'm shocked by the amount of money he is spending, it's that I'm a bit shocked by precisely how he is going about spending it. In my experience, buying an absolute ton of stuff at once is counterproductive as you end up either buying things that you don't actually want in the long run because you don't know any better or you inundate yourself with stuff to paint and assemble, making it psychologically more difficult to actually work on painting and assembly.

mr.kislev
09-05-2009, 11:31
Thats 360 freaking ordinary state troops.... And Im having trouble getting motivated for assembling my freaking 80!

360 holy mother of ***. his wrist would hurt like hell after painting all of those. it would probaly take atleast 1+ years to paint that. (with out spray gun)

szlachcic
09-05-2009, 17:33
Here is the link for the prepainted army:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Empire-TOURNAMENT-ARMY-2500-POINTS-pro-painted_W0QQitemZ350177366735QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item350177366735&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Just tell em what you want, swap out some of the special choices to get 2 cannons and get 1 rare as a new plastic Steam Tank and see if they will throw in a War Altar and you are good to go. I would think long and hard about some good lists before I shopped this though and new models are coming out right around the corner.

Shipping is like 25 pounds/45ish dollars to the US, not bad.

I agree with possibly going the painting studio route depending on what the OP's friend's attitude is towards painting. Personally, I bought my 2250 point Empire army in basically one go, and am still painting it years later. I have fun painting characters and single pieces such as warmachines and the steam tank, but I get tired of painting the State Troops (about 100ish). He has to keep in mind that most Empire color schemes are much more intricate than other horde armies such as O&G or Skaven. If I was to drop this kind of money on an army at once I would definitely be looking to commission a studio to paint it in a scheme I liked.

However, I would probably play a few proxied games first and make sure I liked the army and certain units. Before purchasing my Empire army I had played a few games with the older army book and knew that I didn't want any knights in the list. Details like that make a big difference when you go to purchase an army. Once he knows what he likes buy it and then assemble everything. Play some more games to make sure that he likes what he has and then discuss paint schemes with a painting studio. He should be able to save some money by having it assembled already, plus he could do any conversion work himself, so that it is still "his" army if he are worried about that kind of thing.

Like I said before, it depends on if he really likes painting or not. IMO it would be more fun to have a fully painted 2250 point army than 6000+ points of redundant unpainted units. He can always build up his army over time like most people do.

Kalec
10-05-2009, 07:57
One of my friends is getting into fantasy, he's is one of those go big or go home people, so he wants an army to face my large Orc and goblins army. He's read the army book and went online to see what kinda models he would get. This is what he came up with:

4 battalion boxes
3 wizard boxes
5 warrior priests
1 general/ standard bearer
1 War Alter

22 state troop boxes
6 hand gunner boxes
Knightly Orders with lances

6 cannon/ mortars
4 flagellant boxes
4 great sword boxes
4 steam tanks

This should serve your friend a bit better.